Modern Warfare 2 Trailer Criticized For "Going Too Far"

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Chipperz said:
poncho14 said:
What would he say if it was say, London burning or other big european countrys.
They wouldn't care. If it isn't happening to America, they don't care.

Andrew Heining can fuck off. I'm sick of this "IT CAN'T HAPPEN TO AMERICA!" bullshit. Just to make it perfectly clear, he has pointed out he'd be fine if it happened in Eastern Europe. Because that is far away. And because Eastern Europeans aren't allowed to think the same back. Because that would make them terrorists.
Oh noes! America! It's unpatriotic!

kleft101

Oct 7, 2009
People like that annoy me so much, the arrogance of what he is saying, its ok for it to be happening in an Eastern European country but not Washington D.C.!?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Yes we know 9/11 was bad, but just because a videogame reminds you of it does not make it a bad thing.

Never forget the past and you will not repeat its mistakes, though knowing some influential America's they will

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
wow, really, REALLY *in my awsome really voice, if you knew me it would make sence*, destroying D.C. is too far, well isnt the Mile High Cliub mission on CoD 4 going to far then since its all about terrorists on a plane, AKA 9/11. I don't see the big deal, as someone els said, plenty of games have been based in London and no one gave a shit. Jeez us Americans are really stupid.

thawk

Jun 15, 2009
kleft101 said:
People like that annoy me so much, the arrogance of what he is saying, its ok for it to be happening in an Eastern European country but not Washington D.C.!?
It would seem that it's perfectly fine when we people from east Europe (actually south-east in my case) die, we obviously spend all day killing each other all the time anyway (sarcasm). As long as it doesn't happen in the US.

Seriously, Americans need to do something about people like this, no wonder there are so many stereotypes going around...

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
I don;t think it is wrong to set it in a Washington DC that is being blown apart. I mean we have played games where Berlin and Baghdad are being blown apart in near photo-realism this is just another city to check off the list of photo realistic capitals to fight in.

I also think though that this will hurt Modern Warfare 2. The previous Modern Warfare game was praised for its realistic story that felt like it could really happen, But someone invading Washington DC? that just seams unrealistic and unlikely.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
"In the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2... the gallant mansion reduced to rubble doesn't belong to some crazed separatist dictator hellbent on all kinds of nefarious acts. Instead, it's the White House,"
Depends. If it's set during the Bush administration then it's the same thing :D

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
cyber_andyy said:
What about nuking Seattle or Air striking the Statue of liberty in WiC.

Bandwagon much?
both of those were prevented in the game though by the players actions. So I think because you protect them the CSM sees that as heroic? CSm is often a little extreme on their views about just about everything.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
HAW! I love their logic! "My GOD! It's alright when we show OTHER countries going up in flames, but this is AMERICA DAMNIT! Those colors don't burn!" I might have paraphrased.
Hell the right wing has been doing this for YEARS in book form. I don't remember the series, but there's a book whose tagline is literally "First the Liberals took our guns, then they took our Freedom, now one man fights back!" and it's about some militia group taking back America from an apocalyptic war against the "liberals and punks" (I wish to God I was kidding).

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ph33nix said:
I don;t think it is wrong to set it in a Washington DC that is being blown apart. I mean we have played games where Berlin and Baghdad are being blown apart in near photo-realism this is just another city to check off the list of photo realistic capitals to fight in.

I also think though that this will hurt Modern Warfare 2. The previous Modern Warfare game was praised for its realistic story that felt like it could really happen, But someone invading Washington DC? that just seams unrealistic and unlikely.
With guys going around saying that depicting an invasion of Washington D.C. is a step too far... Well, it's more likely than I think some Americans would like to admit.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
Amnestic said:
Dunno what they're on about. I burned the Whitehouse in Red Alert 2, I slaughtered hundreds of American soldiers. I even kidnapped and mind controlled the President. In fact, I burned pretty much every famous DC landmark. Washington Monument? Rubble. Lincoln Memorial? Trashed. Smithsonian Museum? Little more than dust in the wind of a nuclear explosion that rocked the city.

Also, as someone above said: Why is it okay for books and films to describe crazy 'traumatic' events with the incineration of our cities but when a game does it, suddenly it's 'striking'?

Sorry Mr. CSM, I think you're talking a load of codswallop.
lol one time I did that as the allies in re2 that was so much fun. the destroying the monuments thing. actually i think i got a couple of them 3 times in one campaign...

thawk

Jun 15, 2009
qwerty15990 said:
if they are complaining about this i would hate to see what they said about hellgate london
They probably completely ignored Hellgate London, seeing as it's not in the US

AxelMiller

Sep 22, 2009
Sometime i wish that people which takes video games seriously like these people and makes huge news about it should be smacked in the face. Its a bloody game! Fallout 3's Washington DC was completly burned to the ground aswell and noone complained.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
Chipperz said:
Ph33nix said:

With guys going around saying that depicting an invasion of Washington D.C. is a step too far... Well, it's more likely than I think some Americans would like to admit.
well someone getting a foot hold in DC is pretty unlike considering the major bases near DC.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
Why did he have to mention Eastern Europe? Why not just mention a fictional town? Why does it have to be a fictional Eastern European town? Is it ok to blow up Eastern Europeans but not Americans because Eastern Europeans are primitive and thus it's ok to blow them to hell?

His comment is full of shit.
He probably thinks every city and town over there looks like Prypiat. What a poor, misguided loon.

OT- Now I just might buy this game. I liked the biblical reference, and the graphics looked well done. Then again, it's a trailer, so that's just the best stuff in there...

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ph33nix said:
Chipperz said:
Ph33nix said:

well someone getting a foot hold in DC is pretty unlike considering the major bases near DC.
Hmm. I wonder if gassing the bases in a sneak attack might work. You know, like in the video.

Seems to work. Hell, if it was me, I'd gas the entire city and THEN set up a beachhead. It'd make for a worse game though :p

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I have a friend and whenever we play Call of Duty he talks about how awesome it would be to go to war. We are Canadian, but I would imagine their are many American teenagers/young-adults who get the same idea. It's a lot easier to see the glory in war when it's another country that is burning. Hopefully this vivid imagery of American icons being destroyed in such violent ways will help demonstrate that war is no fun, and it is not glorious. Youre glory is anothers' terror. If people could empathetically put themselves in the shoes of those who are being attacked on a day to day basis then maybe, just maybe, our world would be a little kinder.