Modern Warfare 2 Trailer Criticized For "Going Too Far"

WrathofthePenguin

Apr 9, 2009
I get that because of the realism it strikes a bigger chord but didn't ne1 play Turning Point: Fall of Liberty? Not only do you fight on the lawn of and inside of the White House, you get an achievement for disposing of the president. Let me repeat, you get an achievement for murdering the democratically elected president in Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. If that passed everyone by without much of a problem what's the big deal now?

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
It's okay to show other [http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/7615/570327-tom_clancy_endwar_box_super.jpg] countries in flames, but if it's in America, it's going too far.

Seriously though, fiction is just that. If the sight of Washington being attacked frightens and disturbs you and immediately makes you think of 9/11, you probably need psychiatric help.

Blood_Lined

Mar 31, 2009
I would say exactly what I always say about these war games, don't play them if you suffer from P.T.S.D. or are a veteran in general. In World at War, there was a warning label upon running the game.

I cannot see how a game like this would NOT make at least somebody feel uncomfortable, but that is only natural, as long as the disclaimers and warning labels are clearly presented, then the consumer is the one whom becomes liable for blame, rather than the gaming company itself.

Oh, and also the key word "MAY" in the heading "May be going to far", should be noticed. Something like this shouldn't provoke such a hateful reaction in the first place.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
In a game (franchise) where the setting is supposed to be modern day with current gen weapons and conflicts, a firefight in war torn Washington DC is a shark jump. There is no way that current day politics and warfare would ever make it across the freaking ocean the the DC doorstep unless it was mutually assured destruction contingencies put into play by both Russia and the US. I highly doubt there would be anyone running about outdoors within miles of ground zero if that were the case.

It would hardly be possible for a terrorist group to get a military presence large enough to actually pose a serious threat to US militia forces let alone the actual Army on US soil. Can you even imagine the logistics? This is supposed to be real modern combat not fairy tale terrorist tunnel diggers who somehow managed to burrow through the earth's crust and come up under DC. It's a "shocking twist" without the twist and the shock deriving from the audacity to use this as leverage to sell something everyone was gonna buy anyways.

They might as well have added motion control for boob juggling to push sales. Oh wait someone's already done that. Damn I guess they just HAD to blow up Washington then.

/rant

lucaf

Sep 26, 2009
the only thing i thought when i saw DC burning was, mabey the story is going too far

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
You know, some of the responses in this thread are just as ridiculous as this guy's article.

In fact, some of them are a little worse.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Oh please, DC not to mention alot of other american cities get bombed to fuck during HAWX. I even bomb the cities for lulz. Loads of games have had major citys bombed and fought in. I dont see why Cod:mw2 should be any diffrent, its just the media being bitches to get a story imo.

wgreer25

Good news everyone!
Jun 9, 2008
Oh my God, the capital being destroyed is not new by any stretch of the imagination. Why are people do f**king sensitive and whiny? If you don't like it, don't watch it, don't buy it. And above all DON'T trample all over my free speach and right of expresion.

People just need to STFU.

There is a school near where I live that for 20 years the chearleaders have held up a banner that usually had a bible passage on it and the football team would run through it. One persone called to complain about it, and they forced them to stop.

There is a national park in California that has a cross dedicated to the memory of fallen soldiers in WW1, it has been there for 70 years. One person complained and they now have it covered in plywood.

Yeah, repressing religious experssion is not exactly the same as repression artistic expression, but you get my drift. STOP BEING WHINY OVERLY SENSITIVE PRICKS, PEOPLE.

Sorry if that was ranty, but this is just getting re-god-damn-diculous.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
Chipperz said:
Ph33nix said:
Chipperz said:
Ph33nix said:
I don;t think it is wrong to set it in a Washington DC that is being blown apart. I mean we have played games where Berlin and Baghdad are being blown apart in near photo-realism this is just another city to check off the list of photo realistic capitals to fight in.

I also think though that this will hurt Modern Warfare 2. The previous Modern Warfare game was praised for its realistic story that felt like it could really happen, But someone invading Washington DC? that just seams unrealistic and unlikely.
With guys going around saying that depicting an invasion of Washington D.C. is a step too far... Well, it's more likely than I think some Americans would like to admit.
well someone getting a foot hold in DC is pretty unlike considering the major bases near DC.
Hmm. I wonder if gassing the bases in a sneak attack might work. You know, like in the video.

Seems to work. Hell, if it was me, I'd gas the entire city and THEN set up a beachhead. It'd make for a worse game though :p
i missed the gassing the bases...

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
Fun game idea: You're in an airplane, loaded with explosives. You can fly around above whatever american city it was as had the twin towers (washington? new york?) and fly around until you're ready to crash into the twin towers. You have to time it just right so that you hit as the planted explosives are detonated, so that it looks as if the plane did the damage.

Upturned Walrus

Jun 15, 2009
Lol I think they are forgetting about Fallout 3 which was set in DC fair enough it was not burning but the white house was more destroyed than in this trailer but I dont give two shits either way.

Upturned Walrus

Jun 15, 2009
ZahrDalsk said:
Fun game idea: You're in an airplane, loaded with explosives. You can fly around above whatever american city it was as had the twin towers (washington? new york?) and fly around until you're ready to crash into the twin towers. You have to time it just right so that you hit as the planted explosives are detonated, so that it looks as if the plane did the damage.
Nice that sounds familliar tho it may have been takin.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ph33nix said:
i missed the gassing the bases...
OK, I was thinking of the bit at 1.12 when it goes silent, but on yet another watch it looks like they might just be psyching themselves up for going into the battleground.

I still say gassing D.C. is a good idea, just to shut up everyone who's convinced that America is somehow immune to attack.

Sanctus Hospes

Sep 18, 2009
Ignoring the fact that the inherent interest goes up when set in a recognizable location (and therefore sells better), I want to approach this from the opposite angle: What's wrong with it?

Is it 'disrespectful' or 'insensitive' to show in a video game what could very well happen in real life? Terrorists aside, both Russia and China have the resources and manpower (if not the brass tacks [for now]) to initiate something like that.

9/11 hit us at our core, so did Pearl Harbor and maybe I'm taking a video game a bit to far but I don't see a problem with it depicting the possible, even if it's not the comfortable.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
poncho14 said:
What would he say if it was say, London burning or other big european countrys.
It happened before, remember Resistance or Hellgate London?

Only the Chuch of England had anything to say about that....