Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Every Sales Record Known to Man

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Archangel357 said:
Satsuki666 said:
The thing is when you are talking about movies, books, games, or anything like that there is no objectively good or bad. It is all subjective. You might not like that but it is a fact. You are trying to push your own opinion as fact because you do not like item being discussed.

In my opinion Twilight books are better than Charles Stross, Haruki Murakami or Douglas Coupland. You cant argue against that because it is an opinion on an entirely objective subjective.

I also laughed that you actually said objectively good. Good and bad are subjective terms, you cant say objectively good because it contridicts itself.
You're wrong. I can't put it in any other terms.

Look, there is a reason why of the thousands of people who wrote books or made music in the, say, 17th century, we remember only a couple of dozen. It is called a "canon"; that's when smart people get together, ignore the hoi polloi, and decide what's good. And those are the things people remember after hundreds of years.

You see, Bach is objectively good. You can hear that in the way that he uses harmonies and counterpoint. Titian is objectively good. You can see that in the way that he uses colour and anatomical detail in his paintings. Petrarch is objectively good. You can see that in the way that he uses metre, rhyme, cadence and rhetorical styles.

The only people who actually state that there is no such thing as objectively good tend to be a bit thick - they're usually the ones who prefer Lady Gaga to Beethoven. Us folk tend to laugh at their expense.
"The smart people", eh? Interesting. I don't like the idea of having a certain class of "smart people" (define "smart", anyway) who decide what us stupid people are allowed to remember several hundred years later. I always thought things were remembered after their time because of how popular they were at the time, the impression they made on the general people - not because some critics decided it was worthy of the honour.

Before I accidentally killed my hard drive, I used to have a collection of Chopin songs in my iTunes library. I also had lots of other, modern stuff, such as Muse. I can honestly say I much prefer Muse to Chopin, because for all Chopin's genius with the piano, I just find his songs boring. Or perhaps that's a bad analogy (Chopin did, after all, write "nocturnes" which were meant to put you to sleep IIRC). I don't particularly like Lady Gaga, but if somebody prefers her over Beethoven, I wouldn't laugh at them. What if classical music just wasn't their thing? That doesn't necessarily make them intellectually inferior to "you folk", it just means their tastes are different. You'd be surprised how little bearing the kind of music (or game etc.) someone likes has on their intelligence.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
I don't... really understand what's going on. Everywhere I look, people aren't all that interested in Call of Duty and few has even thought of buying MW3.

Where the hell are these sales coming from?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I really don't know how this happened. Even all of the people I know who like COD haven't bought this one.

TestSubject4

May 6, 2010
I don't understand all this hate, MW is a good series, admittedly I am not buying this or BF3 because I'm bored of modern military shooters. If you hate it STFU and vote with your dollar. That is all.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
twm1709 said:
Wow, I wonder if there is any limit to the ammount of money Call of duty can make. Every year, it shatters previous records like they're nothing. By this rate, Modern Warfare 7 will make enough money to buy Mars.
Sorry dude, Nintendo already owns it. I hear that plan to buy Saturn off the profits of their next Mario adventure.

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
Sneaky-Pie said:
"I don't like the game, therefore it must be bad."

Seriously everyone? Get off your elitist high-horse.

At least be happy that the medium of video games is having such a significant impact world-wide.
"If I don't like a game, it shouldn't sell well at all! That will teach the developers for putting all that money in marketing! How dare they make such popular video games!!! Video games are not about the money, and if you make money, you're selling out man!"

"I don't want to live on this Earth anymore!!!!111 not because COD exists, but because it sold well"

"COD sold well? I better cry now. TT, PP and QQ in spades"

"Just because it sold well, that doesn't mean its good. All those people who bought it have no taste in games!!!"

SaberXIII

Apr 29, 2010
Well, this is one of the reasons that I have lost faith in humanity. Like somebody's undoubtedly said 'haters gonna hate', and there's a good reason for that.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
These numbers are totally inflated. MW3 sold less units than Black Ops and possibly MW2 (not quite sure on the latter), the only reason why they seem to have so many sales is because they're including Elite in their profits with the game sales.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
The Cool Kid said:
Rarhnor said:
Sneaky-Pie said:
"I don't like the game, therefore it must be bad."

Seriously everyone? Get off your elitist high-horse.

At least be happy that the medium of video games is having such a significant impact world-wide.
They won't. CoD is streamlining videogames and making them more popular with people. Many of them are people that nerds, geeks, whatever stigma they lie under, (want to) distance themselves from. Their hate for the game is their justification to further distance themselves from these people. At least from what I see. (See also Casual gamers vs. Hardcore gamers)

OT: Not exactly surprised. Anyone slightly integrated in the gaming community knows that CoD sells like you'd think they were giving it away for free.

But it's good. It means more money to Activision, and more games to come.
Or, radical idea, it's a bad game which you can justify by comparing it to other games of the same genre!
I know, crazy thought, but what if...?

CoD is mass marketed crap. I dislike it because it is crap, not because it is mass marketed. Don't think they are inherently related.
Excuse me? I thought it was a blast. Probably one of the best campaign sessions I've sat down and played. So if you're saying it's crap in general, then I have to disagree. A lot more thought has gone in to the campaign than people give it credit for, but that's besides the point.

And what would you compare it to? The whole reason we have all these modern brown/grey shooters, is because of the success of CoD4. So, you want to compare a game, a whole franchise, that revolutionized this genre, to one of the other games that jumped on the band wagon? Name me one and I shall consider your argument.
Though, I am curious: What about it is crap?

True it is massively marketed, because it has a massive audience.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I could really care less for the fanboy war on the FPS front (I mean personally). Thus, I'm neither involved nor trying to sound elitist. I'm just kind of appalled. Has anyone played both the Battlefield 3 and MW 3 campaigns? My brother and I played both of them with a neutral-open mind, and found B3's campaign derivative, but in a good way. That is, it obviously stole concepts from Modern Warfare, but it had decent maps, an OK...story, and good atmosphere/visuals.

MW3's campaign is -ridiculously over the top-. We were literally laughing our asses off at the first couple of minutes and started making nonstop Michael Bay jokes. After a while...this started to get tedious. And then everything started to become increasingly repetitive. Finally, reluctantly, we groaned and let it rest. This never happened with B3; we were enthusiastic and couldn't put it down. The jet dogfight was siiick.

Anyways, yeah, I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing MW3. I'm not really, it's just that...well, it doesn't really seem... that great? Breaking every record out there? Really? Is the multiplayer really -that- good, esp. considering B3's multiplayer (legit question, I don't know yet)? I must be missing something.

LoFr3Eq

Oct 15, 2008
Would people like to know why its selling so well? Because of MW2, which was a great game, and MW3 is even better.

Stop trying to justify why the game sold well apart from the fact that "Its a very good AAA FPS, with a large following of players, a fairly solid story and a very good multiplayer."

Stop trying to be overly elitist in your views. So many people here have said something along the lines of "It's too popular, therefore the game is terrible" or, "Everyone that likes this franchise is an idiot, and I'm not an idiot, so the game is bad." and even, "Game X was better, therefore I blame marketing for making the game sell so well."

Can people please get over themselves here, I've played it, it was better than Battlefield in many ways. I'd be quite happy if it got GotY, it is a very well done, polished and fun over the top game.

nb. I only recently got into the series, I played MW1 when it came out and kinda liked it, but I found it too corny. But after playing MW3 online in hardcore mode, I now feel like the multiplayer really has some bite to it. It felt realistic, like playing CS ten years ago.

(Flame shield up)

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
To Everyone:

Way to consistently leave out PSN statistics. It really lets us know how much you don't give a fuck about people who enjoy playing games on a stable machine.

PZF

Nov 1, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
The single player was short, incoherent and poorly designed making it near impossible on harder settings due to sniper aiming through scenery AI and lack of cover.
The multiplayer was imbalanced and had terrible map design leading to cat & mouse relative to spawn points rather then anything to do with skill.
And the graphics are shit.
How exactly is it a great?
It's what the fan boys want?

I dont really hate MW3, I hate the fact that they try to tell me its a new shooter with amazing new game modes when it is just MW and MW2 with a different story and the same spawn and die 20 seconds later, no objective, zero teamwork (no objective remember?), KDR driven multiplayer. Until Bad Company 2, I had never even considered my KDR to be related to a fun gaming experience. If people like the MW series, good let them play it, let them enjoy it. I'll wait for something better though.

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
SaberXIII said:
Well, this is one of the reasons that I have lost faith in humanity. Like somebody's undoubtedly said 'haters gonna hate', and there's a good reason for that.
Yeah when I saw the sales figures, I lost all faith in mankind for ever and for the rest of time, until the universe implodes back in on itself. Let it be known that SaberXIII has lost all faith and that he has predicted the downfall of man due to the success of the CoD series. Never again can I regain my faith in mankind.

luckshotpro

Oct 18, 2010
Call of Duty is a fun series, but it really doesn't deserve all of these record breaking sales and such. I don't have Modern Warfare 3 yet, and probably won't buy it until at least after Christmas, since I have so many other games that I'm playing right now (namely Skyrim, Gears of War 3, Just Cause 2, and Resident Evil 4). I will eventually get MW3, I know that, but I can't honestly say I'll be expecting much more than a new campaign that isn't that different from Modern Warfare 2, a few new multiplayer modes, and a few new perks and weapons.