Monster Hunter Tri

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
Is it just me or are these MH fans enthralled with size?

Edit: and someone please post an image of one of those stereotypical "monster hunter general threads" from over at 4chan

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Quorothorn said:
Carnagath said:
Quorothorn said:
I do love how all the MHT defenders are focusing exclusively on the "tutorial = 10 hours" thing. Because when your argument rests entirely on a literal approach to one particular bit of exaggeration in someone's article, you know you have righteousness on your side, for certain sure.
And I do love how all the Yahtzee fanboys claim that he was "just exaggerating" whenever he posts fallacies. What else do you want us to focus on anyway dude? His complaint that "weapons break"? You really expect people to grace such a petty complaint with a reply? Making weapons break less is part of the character progression in MH3. You don't like it and want to call a game shit because of it? Ok. Whatever. Then Mass Effect is also shit, because you don't have infinite ammo and have to reload your weapons. Everyone knows that reloading is pointless and tedious and, to paraphrase Yahztee's article, if you are fighting an enemy and your clip is empty, you have to choose between running away in order to reload and risk having the enemies ruin your shit, or you can just sit there and stare at them. Except, if you actually claim that Mass Effect is shit because of that, people will call you an idiot and be RIGHT, while with Moster Hunter they are just fanboys.
Considering that near the start of this thread there was a discussion about whether or not weapon degradation has ever worked out decently in a game, I think claiming that it's essentially equivalent to reloading (a nigh-universal gameplay element whenever there are guns, and one which I've never heard complaints about) is possibly the most ridiculous statement I've seen so far here.
It really is basically equivalent to reloading; your weapon doesn't "break" it just gets less sharp, so it bounces off enemies more (still deals full damage, just can't be combo'd) and deals slightly less damage (I believe the difference between one sharpness level and the next ranges from 5 to 20%). When you want to "reload" your weapon, you click a button, wait a few seconds while your character sharpens the weapon, and you're back to normal. It's about as time consuming as attempting to reload, say, an LMG in Call of Duty, by which I mean if you sit in the open doing it, you'll get toasted, but you can easily do it in combat when there's a lull.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Ten hours, Yahtzee? Really? Maybe you just suck at the game.

No really. If all the people who played it took less than two hours and you take ten, you are Officially Bad at this kind of game. Maybe we should make a plaque for it. Maybe you just have some kind of temporal allergic reaction to level/item grinding that slows down time for you. I'm afraid to ask you to even think about a Nippon Ichi game, it might take you a week to get through the opening.

Also:

My main complaint in the video was item gathering, how foraging for random bits of garbage in the wilderness got in the way of the juicy fighting, and it was virtually impossible to predict what items were only worth flogging at the village store for pennies and which would be worth hanging onto. Someone pointed out that at some point you can employ some of the villagers to grow and gather certain resources on your behalf. But that's even worse! That's entering management simulator territory, the genre one step up from database software. At least gathering the stuff yourself has the exploration element. The threat of curious velociraptors trotting over to inspect my pancreas as I scrape out the contents of a beehive. Maybe next I could pay someone to kill all the monsters for me so I can spend the entire game sitting in my hut kicking the butler.
So making you go through the gathering quests instead of fighting monsters is bad, but not making you do it so you can spend your time fighting monsters is worse?

Speaking of worse... You actually did the first Monster Hunt, the first taste of the meat of the game, and still left it out of the actual review? Bad Form, Peter[/Hook]. I mean, given the fools on this page (you heard me) who actually take your reviews as advice on whether or not to get a game, not actually representing the game as you played and experienced it is just... half-assed.

I mean seriously, Agree with your views or not, it's truly disappointing to see you fail like that.

Mattmayer

Oct 23, 2009
Brickcups said:
Carnagath said:
Blah blah blah, MH3 does not have a 10 hour tutorial. It has a 90 minute tutorial, unless you linger on, doing things that are unnecessary forever. Do them for a bit, explore a bit, then move on. Do you need a manual to play this game, someone to hold your hand? You don't like some elements of it, sure, I accept that, but saying it has a 10 hour tutorial is like reviewing WoW and spending your first 10 hours picking herbs and then saying "In this game you do nothing but pick herbs for the first 10 hours". That's pretty silly.

Also, WELL UP YOURS TOO, PRICK!
Exactly! If it takes you 10 hours to get through the tutorial... you aren't playing it right. lol
Haha thats what I was thinking!

But seriously this game isn't for everyone, though this is the same for all games on the market.

Pretty funny telling the diehard MH fans 'up yours!'.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Epic. Ya know, for all the talk about how Jim Sterling manages to rile up his readers, none of it comes close to what you see before thee in this thread.

And woot! Page 20 and post 666 it is!

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
MatsVS said:
What I find interesting is that anyone actually cares about this guy's opinions. I mean, he's amusing on occasion, but really? This is where people go for guidance? To a comedian? Honestly, that's just messed up...
Comedians usually have truths hidden in their words.
That is why they are effective, like George Carlin for example.
Haha, this british twat is a far fucking cry from being George Carlin, mate. :p

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
milskidasith said:
Quorothorn said:
Carnagath said:
Quorothorn said:
I do love how all the MHT defenders are focusing exclusively on the "tutorial = 10 hours" thing. Because when your argument rests entirely on a literal approach to one particular bit of exaggeration in someone's article, you know you have righteousness on your side, for certain sure.
And I do love how all the Yahtzee fanboys claim that he was "just exaggerating" whenever he posts fallacies. What else do you want us to focus on anyway dude? His complaint that "weapons break"? You really expect people to grace such a petty complaint with a reply? Making weapons break less is part of the character progression in MH3. You don't like it and want to call a game shit because of it? Ok. Whatever. Then Mass Effect is also shit, because you don't have infinite ammo and have to reload your weapons. Everyone knows that reloading is pointless and tedious and, to paraphrase Yahztee's article, if you are fighting an enemy and your clip is empty, you have to choose between running away in order to reload and risk having the enemies ruin your shit, or you can just sit there and stare at them. Except, if you actually claim that Mass Effect is shit because of that, people will call you an idiot and be RIGHT, while with Moster Hunter they are just fanboys.
Considering that near the start of this thread there was a discussion about whether or not weapon degradation has ever worked out decently in a game, I think claiming that it's essentially equivalent to reloading (a nigh-universal gameplay element whenever there are guns, and one which I've never heard complaints about) is possibly the most ridiculous statement I've seen so far here.
It really is basically equivalent to reloading; your weapon doesn't "break" it just gets less sharp, so it bounces off enemies more (still deals full damage, just can't be combo'd) and deals slightly less damage (I believe the difference between one sharpness level and the next ranges from 5 to 20%). When you want to "reload" your weapon, you click a button, wait a few seconds while your character sharpens the weapon, and you're back to normal. It's about as time consuming as attempting to reload, say, an LMG in Call of Duty, by which I mean if you sit in the open doing it, you'll get toasted, but you can easily do it in combat when there's a lull.
Hey, if MHT pulled off weapon degradation then more power to it, but again, that gameplay element is just not liked. Pretty much ever. The two cannot be equivocated when historically they have been viewed in such different lights. Reloading is ubiquitous and uncontroversial; weapon degradation is uncommon and, frankly, generally despised.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Quorothorn said:
milskidasith said:
Quorothorn said:
Carnagath said:
Quorothorn said:
Hey, if MHT pulled off weapon degradation then more power to it, but again, that gameplay element is just not liked. Pretty much ever. The two cannot be equivocated when historically they have been viewed in such different lights. Reloading is ubiquitous and uncontroversial; weapon degradation is uncommon and, frankly, generally despised.
The problem is that even calling it weapon degradation is misleading. It's not that your weapon gets weaker and you have to pay a money sink NPC to keep it in tip top shape. It's that once you get about a hundred hits in on a monster, it goes down a notch and you spend three seconds to get it back to max, at no cost. Is it necessary? Maybe not, but it's to keep you from just hacking away at the monster even when your weapon bounces off, though the monster attacking does a decent job of that.

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
SAMAS said:
Ten hours, Yahtzee? Really? Maybe you just suck at the game.

No really. If all the people who played it took less than two hours and you take ten, you are Officially Bad at this kind of game. Maybe we should make a plaque for it. Maybe you just have some kind of temporal allergic reaction to level/item grinding that slows down time for you. I'm afraid to ask you to even think about a Nippon Ichi game, it might take you a week to get through the opening.

Also:

My main complaint in the video was item gathering, how foraging for random bits of garbage in the wilderness got in the way of the juicy fighting, and it was virtually impossible to predict what items were only worth flogging at the village store for pennies and which would be worth hanging onto. Someone pointed out that at some point you can employ some of the villagers to grow and gather certain resources on your behalf. But that's even worse! That's entering management simulator territory, the genre one step up from database software. At least gathering the stuff yourself has the exploration element. The threat of curious velociraptors trotting over to inspect my pancreas as I scrape out the contents of a beehive. Maybe next I could pay someone to kill all the monsters for me so I can spend the entire game sitting in my hut kicking the butler.
So making you go through the gathering quests instead of fighting monsters is bad, but not making you do it so you can spend your time fighting monsters is worse?

Speaking of worse... You actually did the first Monster Hunt, the first taste of the meat of the game, and still left it out of the actual review? Bad Form, Peter[/Hook]. I mean, given the fools on this page (you heard me) who actually take your reviews as advice on whether or not to get a game, not actually representing the game as you played and experienced it is just... half-assed.

I mean seriously, Agree with your views or not, it's truly disappointing to see you fail like that.
I like the Hook reference. Fun movie.

But I don't like you saying that using Yahtzee's videos as some manner of guide to getting games is automatically foolish. For me the fact is, although we're not exactly the same in our video game preferences (Resident Evil 5 being the obvious example of our differences) I can usually get a good sense of how I will react to a game by watching Yahztee's reaction to it. That's helped me find some good games (Saint's Row 2 being the obvious example) in the past. He also usually makes at least two-three quite good points per video, sometimes hitting things that most reviewers don't notice or mention. Perhaps you should have said that taking Yahtzee's word as infallible is foolish: that would be more accurate in my opinion. Recklessly insulting a wide swath of people is bad form too, y'know.

golbleen

Feb 17, 2010
Quorothorn said:
The two cannot be equivocated when historically they have been viewed in such different lights. Reloading is ubiquitous and uncontroversial; weapon degradation is uncommon and, frankly, generally despised.
Mechanically, they can, in fact, be equivocated. They work the same and 'feel' the game within the flow of combat.

The only thing stopping them is arbitrary hatred due to the 'theme' of the mechanic - rather than running out of bullets to duck under cover and reload, a sword slowly gets duller before it needs to be quickly re-sharpened when the player is in a safe spot. People are, effectively, discounting a game mechanic for the metaphorical color of its skin, which honestly strikes me as immature and shortsighted.

chakra22

May 26, 2010
Lawllerskater said:
chakra22 said:
Congratulations yahtzee! You have just beaten the easiest boss in the entire game and given up. You are now fully a casual
Congratulations retarded ape! You've swung and missed the entire synopsis of why he did so! You are now fully an ass-hat!
Cnogratulations! How does it feel to have Yahtzee's cock in your mouth? The reporters are just ANXIOUS to know.

All yahtzee did was give up after the first boss, not bothering to play anymore, despite the fact that it gets better after that boss. I bet you haven't even played the game yourself, judging it on what a half-assed "reviewer" says. Kiss up to him some more, moron.

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
MatsVS said:
GrimHeaper said:
MatsVS said:
What I find interesting is that anyone actually cares about this guy's opinions. I mean, he's amusing on occasion, but really? This is where people go for guidance? To a comedian? Honestly, that's just messed up...
George Carlin can be funny, but frankly I prefer Yahtzee. Or Bill Cosby.

ETA: Or Jon Stewart.

milskidasith said:
Quorothorn said:
milskidasith said:
Quorothorn said:
Carnagath said:
Quorothorn said:
The problem is that even calling it weapon degradation is misleading. It's not that your weapon gets weaker and you have to pay a money sink NPC to keep it in tip top shape. It's that once you get about a hundred hits in on a monster, it goes down a notch and you spend three seconds to get it back to max, at no cost. Is it necessary? Maybe not, but it's to keep you from just hacking away at the monster even when your weapon bounces off, though the monster attacking does a decent job of that.
So you're saying we need a new name for the mechanic as presented in MHT?

chakra22

May 26, 2010
Grandleon said:
chakra22 said:
Congratulations yahtzee! You have just beaten the easiest boss in the entire game and given up. You are now fully a casual
Don't lie to him. Great Jaggi is an oversized minion, not a boss. They fall over in less than 2 minutes as long as you aren't trying to attack them with a steak knife.
Yes, I suppose. It still means Yahtzee gave up after beating an easy monster.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Quorothorn said:
MatsVS said:
GrimHeaper said:
MatsVS said:
George Carlin can be funny, but frankly I prefer Yahtzee. Or Bill Cosby.

ETA: Or Jon Stewart.

milskidasith said:
Quorothorn said:
milskidasith said:
Quorothorn said:
Carnagath said:
Quorothorn said:
So you're saying we need a new name for the mechanic as presented in MHT?
I guess you could call it weapon reloading, or just use what it calls it, the sharpness system. It's a far cry from what weapon degradation brings to mind, where the weapon loses effectiveness slowly, can't be repaired during missions, and acts only as a money sink.

chakra22

May 26, 2010
I guess you could call it weapon reloading, or just use what it calls it, the sharpness system. It's a far cry from what weapon degradation brings to mind, where the weapon loses effectiveness slowly, can't be repaired during missions, and acts only as a money sink.
It's hardly a "money sink" though. All you have to do is buy 99 whetsones from the market every, say... actually I haven't done it twice yet. It hardly costs much anyway.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
At this point, the sheer number of comments says that you're not going to read this anyway, but I still have to say that I prefer it when your Extra Punctuation goes to a game concept like stealth or names, rather than a continuation of a game.

ChrowX

Nov 11, 2009
This is an exaggeration on an exaggeration.. I had a nerd fit before, but this.. this makes me want to give up on Yahtzee and Zero Punctuation entirely. It's just a gross misrepresentation all around and it's like I don't even know what game he's talking about. I'd say something about journalistic integrity, but I'm not sure if he's going for some sort of "I'm not actually a journalist!" type thing and he's actually a satirist or a comedian.

It was a bit to gloss over the game and boil it down to about 2 minutes of actual video review, but to outright say that the game has a 10 hour tutorial is bullshit. It's a lie and nothing else. 10 hours will take you half-way into the solo missions and into fighting some of the bigger monsters, the different locales, and even a new weapon type. Oh, and it unlocks plenty of new things for you to do, like the fishing fleet, the trading ship, and the ever-expanding farm which will do your gather for you. Yeah, you complained about wasting all your time gathering items and the game can do it for you while you are off doing more important things.

But worse still.. The legion of idiots who eat this shit up. "10 hour tutorial? Duck this game that I've never played and have no perspective on!" That bothers me most of all.

chakra22

May 26, 2010
ChrowX said:
This is an exaggeration on an exaggeration.. I had a nerd fit before, but this.. this makes me want to give up on Yahtzee and Zero Punctuation entirely. It's just a gross misrepresentation all around and it's like I don't even know what game he's talking about. I'd say something about journalistic integrity, but I'm not sure if he's going for some sort of "I'm not actually a journalist!" type thing and he's actually a satirist or a comedian.

It was a bit to gloss over the game and boil it down to about 2 minutes of actual video review, but to outright say that the game has a 10 hour tutorial is bullshit. It's a lie and nothing else. 10 hours will take you half-way into the solo missions and into fighting some of the bigger monsters, the different locales, and even a new weapon type. Oh, and it unlocks plenty of new things for you to do, like the fishing fleet, the trading ship, and the ever-expanding farm which will do your gather for you. Yeah, you complained about wasting all your time gathering items and the game can do it for you while you are off doing more important things.

But worse still.. The legion of idiots who eat this shit up. "10 hour tutorial? Duck this game that I've never played and have no perspective on!" That bothers me most of all.
Agreed. I could care less if Yahtzee himself hates the game, it's the idiotic fans of his who believe every word he says, as if he were ACTUALLY REVIEWING the game.

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
chakra22 said:
ChrowX said:

Agreed. I could care less if Yahtzee himself hates the game, it's the idiotic fans of his who believe every word he says, as if he were ACTUALLY REVIEWING the game.
Erm, he kind of IS reviewing the game, though. Even if his method of review in this case is wrongheaded, incomplete, flawed, misrepresentative, absurd, whatever term you wish to use, he is still reviewing the game.

I do agree on the problem of taking everything he says as gospel truth, natch. That's a mistake no matter who we're talking about. Though I should remind you, if it matters, that Yahtzee himself does not actually like those people.