Monster Hunter Tri

Wereraccoon

Jun 3, 2010
VanillaBean said:
Yahtzee is my hero. For to long i have sat on a bus watching idiots play Monster Hunter and tell me how awesome it is while all they do is get their tales kicked by really weak dinosoaurs. Thank you so much Yahtzee these people deserve to be mocked. Not because they are fans of this game, but because they are ignorant slaves to this game.
Hmm Not weak dinosoaurs hun. Well you never played it so I get you would think something like that. But you try kicking Fatalis his ass and then come back to me saying they are weak dinosoaurs. Now mind you I'm not that much of a fan of the game. But It's by all means not easy. It's one of the games I really have a hard time with and I finished ninja gaiden.

And Now please explain what makes the fans 'ignorant slaves of this game'? Just because people like a chalange with friends or alone they are ignorant slaves? I didn't know liking a game made a person a slave. Hell have you never adviced a game to anyone? Because it Would make you every game's ignorant slave that you ever adviced to anyone.

VanillaBean

Feb 3, 2010
Wereraccoon said:
VanillaBean said:
Yahtzee is my hero. For to long i have sat on a bus watching idiots play Monster Hunter and tell me how awesome it is while all they do is get their tales kicked by really weak dinosoaurs. Thank you so much Yahtzee these people deserve to be mocked. Not because they are fans of this game, but because they are ignorant slaves to this game.
Hmm Not weak dinosoaurs hun. Well you never played it so I get you would think something like that. But you try kicking Fatalis his ass and then come back to me saying they are weak dinosoaurs. Now mind you I'm not that much of a fan of the game. But It's by all means not easy. It's one of the games I really have a hard time with and I finished ninja gaiden.

And Now please explain what makes the fans 'ignorant slaves of this game'? Just because people like a chalange with friends or alone they are ignorant slaves? I didn't know liking a game made a person a slave. Hell have you never adviced a game to anyone? Because it Would make you every game's ignorant slave that you ever adviced to anyone.
Well its like Yahtzee said, these people (or at least the several i know) play this game for countless hours getting their but kicked the majority of the time. I personally believe that since they are not enjoying their time, due to alot of things Yahtzee mentioned, and yet still say the game is alot of fun. I believe that if you say a game is fun, but do not enjoy its overall experience then you are either ignorant to your own disenjoyment (probably not a word) or down right ignorant.

N3mis

Apr 8, 2010
VanillaBean said:
Wereraccoon said:
VanillaBean said:

Well its like Yahtzee said, these people (or at least the several i know) play this game for countless hours getting their but kicked the majority of the time. I personally believe that since they are not enjoying their time, due to alot of things Yahtzee mentioned, and yet still say the game is alot of fun. I believe that if you say a game is fun, but do not enjoy its overall experience then you are either ignorant to your own disenjoyment (probably not a word) or down right ignorant.
I'm not a fanboy of any game, but it's kinda idiotic to almost only drag out the negative things about it, but this game is ok, it doesn't suck at all, just a bit boring in the start :p

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
"Yahtzee insulted mah game. Whaaa Whaaa!"

21 pages of this. I hope you are all happy, internet arguments and defence of Japanese games is the most worthwhile of pursuits. I lose my faith more in humanity and especially the gamming community with each page of this utter whiny fanboy drivel.
Am I a fanboy for trying to educate people, which clearly have been misinformed?
Maybe.

Are people fanboys, when they take Yahtzees parody-review as the word of god?
Most likely.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Anyway, there are no games that open-up or get better after 10 hours. Not a single one.

Some people just... If you ate only dogshit for 13 years you'll probably say that dogshit gets actually tasty after 10 years. And others will answer: what kind of freak are you to feed on dogshit only for 10 years?!!!!!

I soooo much agree with this article...

go nana go

May 24, 2010
Cingal said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
Oh no don't use that excuse. That's still no reason for him to say shit like "the Wii's lack of existence would improve the industry." That's the kind of biased propaganda horse shit I could've gotten from the TreyBrotherhood, not someone who actually paid to critique things. There's a difference between not liking a console and just being a plain fucking asshole.

In fact, take a look at his Dethroning Moment of Suck section on TVTropes and see for yourself that I'm not the only one who sees how downhill his credibility as a critic has become: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/ZeroPunctuation

It's obvious Yahtzee only reviewed this game for one of two problems: 1) He forced into it for the sake of a paycheck since those of us who know better know he hates JRPGs and games with MMO elements or 2) He did it for the same reason he did a review on Wii Sports Resort: to make the system and the people who enjoy it look bad and his ego look good.
To be fair, a game like Monster Hunter would probably have been better on a proper console like the PS3 or Xbox 360.

It's hard to say it wouldn't be, there's a very good reason they have bundles with Pro controllers.
To be fair it wouldn't exist if there wasn't a cheap low-cost system to develop it on (WII) They didn't have the finances to risk making a huge project on the 360/ps3 so they put it on wii, and it paid off. Maybe their next one will be on the high-def systems though.

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
Lord_Gremlin said:
Some people just... If you ate only dogshit for 13 years you'll probably say that dogshit gets actually tasty after 10 years. And others will answer: what kind of freak are you to feed on dogshit only for 10 years?!!!!!
Same could be said about the people here, listening to their messiah and bashing games without having played them...

Wereraccoon

Jun 3, 2010
VanillaBean said:
Wereraccoon said:
VanillaBean said:

Aren't you being the ignorant now? Deciding for other people that they do not enjoy having a chalange with these monsters? In monster hunter 'getting your ass kicked' means getting used to the monsters their movement and learning what kind of equipment you'll need to defeat them. Which is a natural process in any game that tries to be any harder then the little baby girl level nearly all the newest games seem to be. And I'm not a high class gamer.. But nearly all the games I played recently I could win by just slashing threw them. And hell I did NOT enjoy that! You say all games should just throw themselves at you leaving no chalange at all? Hell I feel nearly offended for being called ignorant because I enjoy a chalange. Without that chalange monste hunter (for instance) wouldn't be any fun. Because if you would be able to kill a dragon in three hits it would not feel like killing a dragon. It would feel like you're just shooting wild life. Ok sometime it is frustrating to fight an over powerful dragon. But when you have defeated it you feel like you have really achieved something. It's like 'defeating that final boss feeling' in a game. you know the kind off boss you have to fight a few times before finally getting it? I can understand that some people do not enjoy that chalange. And just want to get an easy win. But let me brake something to you. Not all humans are the same. Some people do enjoy that chalange AND that victory. The harder the victory the sweeter.

But I repeat how can you personally believe that people don't enjoy the game they are playing? Who are you to decide what other people think? Are you one all mighty god who can see in people their souls? 'Every humanbeing who is faced with a chalange in a game hates it! Because I do! So all people hate it! And if they say they don't they are ignorant!' You see how stupid that sounds?

And how does what Yahtzee said make a change in anything? Yahtzee is always negative about every game. (On the exception on psychonauts with good reasons too) So you actually decide if a game sucks based on what fucking Yahtzee says? You decided that monster hunter sucks just because 'all mighty yahtzee' said so? That's just plain fan-boy hilerious. You can't truely say 'A game sucks' without playing it yourself. You can just decide to not buy it. But you can't truely decide it's bad. That's just stupid. Hell I once for just the hell of it played my little sisters winnie the pooh game... And damn I actually got my ass kicked several times by giggling elephants! I mean what the fucking hell?! I could have never known or expacted that. And no one would have told me this in advance. You can't judge a book by its cover or it's reviews. It can just change your mind on buying it or not.

And hell call the people who love the game ignorant. They still love it. Would they love it if they did deep down inside not like it? Oh come on I really can't even repeat too much how ignorant you are being yourself.

ps: Sorry for ranting so much on you. But I can't stand the type that bitches about games that they never played or will play. ^^ Or call people stupid or ignorant for enjoying a game you do not or for that matter Yahtzee does not enjoy, since you seem to be sticking to his words like the idiot nerd fan-boy you seem to be. 'due to alot of things Yahtzee mentioned' I mean serious what?! What the hell did Yahtzee mention? That made you decide that all people must hate it deep inside (or won't admit it because they are too 'ignorant' enjoying the game in a way you don't understand) because Yahtzee hated it? I mean come on.

SemajChaos

Jun 3, 2010
Quorothorn said:
SemajChaos said:
How are critique and review the same?
Critique- To criticize for positive or negative, usually negative. Points out flaws, or things that the critique just didn't quite agree.
Ex. This shit.
Review- To review is to experience something and explain what you got out of it.
Ex.:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/108/1083123p1.html

Oh, and most of us aren't butthurt over his review. I laughed, because he did point out some things that have angered me for years. I dislike that most of you kids are trashing this game without ever giving it a try. I guarantee you, if you put real time in this game, it will break your other addictions. This game ruins lives. But in a good way.

Only the "fanboys" have reliable sources for arguement here. Everyone else (right?) is getting their info from a mis-informed critic. So that one guy who stabbed at Awesome_Hazard, don't you dare throw the "you are mis-informed" ... thing around at us.
Not that the Oxford English Dictionary is always right, but if we're talking about what is and is not a review/critique, I thought I should provide the OED definitions of those words.

The relevant definitions of review are variously "The action or an act of looking over or inspecting", "The action of looking (again) over something, as a book, text, etc., with a view to its correction or improvement; revision; an instance of this", "A general survey or reconsideration of some subject or thing; (now esp.) a report on, or summary and evaluation of, events or developments over a given period, or in a specific field", "An account or critical appraisal of a book or (now also) a play, film, concert, etc" and "A critical appraisal of a product, service, etc., intended for the guidance of consumers."

Zero Punctuation seems to fit all those definitions.

As for critique, the OED definitions are "An essay or article in criticism of a literary (or more rarely, an artistic) work; a review" and "The action or art of criticizing; criticism." Again, Zero Punctuation appears to fit.
Thanks for your input. Still, I say this is a critique, and not a review. He didn't play through 10% of this game. Maybe 6%. Maybe. That is hardly a review.

SemajChaos

Jun 3, 2010
"These fans don't agree with this guys review, this god's word, whaaa whaa wha." That's how you sound.

Videogames are not American. Americans just want entertainment.
The Japanese don't view videogames as just mere "entertainment".
If it was just entertainment, why do you look for a review?

I don't understand why people are arguing against people defending this game.
Really? That's like going to a blue vs red debate and arguing green.

"Up yours, MH fans." Yes, I'm paraphrasing.
How little of a life do you have to feel the need to insult someone whose defending their game, something that has nothing to do with you? No life. That's how much.

So, we're fanboys for liking a game and defending it when it has been wronged.
I guess, Marting L. K. is a fanboy of blacks.
Simon Bolivar and Che are fanboy's of hispanics/latinos.
You dumbasses (some of you, for not all of you are taking offense to other people's taking offense)are fanboys of this twit for taking his word like god's own. Yes, that's a little g.

You say we follow this game and give it hours, most of the time getting our asses kicked. Dude, how the hell can you feel that's true? Do you stalk MH players and watch them play long enough to come to the verdict that 66% of the time, they are losing? Prove it *****.
You realize MH players are not nearly the slaves "gamers" are. Really, you're called "gamers". You are known as someone who plays games. That is how you appear to the public. We are not "MH players". Where have you ever heard that? You are slaves to videogames. That is why you are here reading this. I did not even know this site existed, til a friend told me about this hilarious critique. At least MH fans won't ever go into another games' review and be like, "This guy doesn't like this game. Hey, they say it doesn't suck. Well, how dare they!? How dare they say how this game really is? How dare they GO AGAINST HIS WORD."
We are at least respectful.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Never played the game, and therefore I do not want to get in a debate over its quality. I will say this much though.

"If a game only gets decent after the tutorial, it's not a good game."

This statement is so monumentally stupid that it should cost yahtzee his career as a game review/critic.

and "Up yours, Monster Hunter Tri fans. Up yours with blobs of Icy Hot on the end." is so unfunny, disrespectful, and down-right immature that it should cost him his career as an entertainer.

SemajChaos

Jun 3, 2010
starwarsgeek said:
Never played the game, and therefore I do not want to get in a debate over its quality. I will say this much though.

"If a game only gets decent after the tutorial, it's not a good game."

This statement is so monumentally stupid that it should cost yahtzee his career as a game review/critic.

and "Up yours, Monster Hunter Tri fans. Up yours with blobs of Icy Hot on the end." is so unfunny, disrespectful, and down-right immature that it should cost him his career as an entertainer.
You see? This is a person who HASN'T PLAYED THE GAME AND DIDN'T EAT UP EVERYTHING yAHTZEE SAID. He is how all of you should be.

Kudos, guy. You are a decent human.

Yoseph

Nov 18, 2009
I wouldn't really call the whole thing a tutorial. It's more like a first level.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Snotnarok said:
It's his OPINION people if you don't like it then don't watch his videos, YOU chose to watch it and subject yourself to it so you have yourself to blame. What does it matter if someone doesn't like what you like?
'Opinion' does not mean "I can lie if I want to."

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Mindmaker said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
Same could be said about the people here, listening to their messiah and bashing games without having played them...
Wait wait wait... he's our messiah now? Cripes, I just thought he was a humorist who centered himself and a decently paying career on something he enjoys, and occasionally gives good insight into. Darn. Does that mean all the times I laughed at his videos I was being blasphemous? Is there a holy writ I can review to make sure I have not sinned in the eyes of his imps?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Snotnarok said:
It's his OPINION people if you don't like it then don't watch his videos, YOU chose to watch it and subject yourself to it so you have yourself to blame. What does it matter if someone doesn't like what you like?
'Opinion' does not mean "I can lie if I want to."
Then take it for what it is, why does this get on your nerves?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Then take it for what it is, why does this get on your nerves?
When people try to defend a bullshit argument, it gets on my nerves.
Not you specifically. But others have tried to excuse it.

When someone willingly accepts a petty lie as excusable, it's saddening.

realbillcosby

Apr 5, 2010
I don't usually read these threads, but does everyone get so uppity and sanctimonious in defending games they like from one bad review from Yahtzee, or just RPG fans?

I happen to love JRPG's mostly, they have a formula that works for what I enjoy in a videogame a lot of the time. I enjoy watching Yahtzee murder these games, I particularly enjoyed Yahtzee slaughtering FFXIII (which coincidentally I couldn't stand for the reasons he stated), and I enjoy him slaughtering games which I enjoy because, shockingly, reviews are opiniotainment - opinion as entertainment - two things which individually or combined don't really lend themselves to being taken as seriously as some people seem to on here.

And yet Yahtzee actually panders to you idiots with further explanations and justifications of an opinion? And you still give him shit? It's absolutely baffling.