Monster Hunter Tri

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I hardly see what the problem is. I absolutely loved the MH3 review and it's currently my favorite game to play in my free time. I don't care that he doesn't like the games I love, his reviews are still fantastic entertainment. It's his job to tear these things to shreds and make fun of everything. That's just what he does, and he does it fantastically.

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
RaikuFA said:
i really hate fans of this game and im glad he ripped this game a new one
Yes, you told us the same thing for like 5 times.
Given that you gave no reason why, we will continue to ignore you.

Thanks for posting.

kordo

Jan 8, 2010
Then why the fuck does Yahtzee bother reviewing JRPGs when we know he'll lay the smackdown on them no matter what? Reviews of his such as this one are the WORST because we all know what's coming - rendering them completely and utterly pointless (not to mention dull and unfunny).

ORLOFT

Apr 29, 2009
Edward123454321 said:
Carnagath said:
Edward123454321 said:
Can someone who's actually played this game for more than ten hours, tell me if the tutorial is that long?

I've seen about 4 posts here saying "Bah! Ten hours for the tutorial, I'm not getting this game anymore, thanks Yahtzee!" and another 4 saying "The tutorial's about an hour long..."

It's reasons like this I don't trust him nearly as much as a critic as I do a comedian.
Yes, I can tell you responsibly that, unless you are Yahtzee, (clinically depressed because your stupid freaking job demands that you turn on YOUR FUCKING WII of all things and play some shitty Japanese dinosaur game, instead of getting drunk and hitting on girls at your bar, so you crawl drudgingly and aimlessly from one point of the map to another, without any interest whatsoever in enjoying yourself, pausing every 5 minutes to pray to a God that you don't believe in to release you from this torment), then it will not take you more than 90 minutes to get to the "juicy" parts of the game.
Haha yeah, I do feel quite bad for Yahtzee, I'm still in school, so have a lot more spare time than him, and I'd still be fucking miserable if I had only a week to play a game; spew out a video review for it, then write an article on it.

Poor bastard, and if he misses a week he'd have an army of nerds telling him out shit and lazy he is.
Yes it is still a job, but damnit thats better than sitting in an office all day answer a phone. If he doesn't like it, he can quit. That'll show 'em... whomever they are.

Nateman742

Jul 21, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
Nateman742 said:
This thread is hilarious. If Yahtzee didn't like it he didn't like it; The review was funny regardless. Good show.
Oh no don't use that excuse. That's still no reason for him to say shit like "the Wii's lack of existence would improve the industry." That's the kind of biased propaganda horse shit I could've gotten from the TreyBrotherhood, not someone who actually paid to critique things. There's a difference between not liking a console and just being a plain fucking asshole.

In fact, take a look at his Dethroning Moment of Suck section on TVTropes and see for yourself that I'm not the only one who sees how downhill his credibility as a critic has become: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/ZeroPunctuation

It's obvious Yahtzee only reviewed this game for one of two problems: 1) He forced into it for the sake of a paycheck since those of us who know better know he hates JRPGs and games with MMO elements or 2) He did it for the same reason he did a review on Wii Sports Resort: to make the system and the people who enjoy it look bad and his ego look good.
So, wait. You actually think he's serious? That he goes home and stews for hours about the Wii and the people playing it, and the only way he can feel better is to bring them down a notch and make money doing so? Yes, this thing he has is called a job, and it pays well I'd imagine. It calls for an opinion piece every week and that means he has to state an opinion. Not a hard concept. It's probably going to be a different opinion than yours, and no amount of whining on an internet forum will change anything. Relax, man. If this is all too much, you can turn it off whenever you want to.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I absolutely agree, I get so pissed off when people pull that excuse "It gets better later on!", this especially happens a ton in MMO's (which I know Yahtzee hates).

Why I would be motivated to chip away at a solid brick wall with a frekking spoon to reach some supposed fun behind it, is beyond me.

The developers obviously seem to expect me to KNOW when exactly the fun is going to start, well big surprise, I'm not going through an excruciatingly boring experience on the pure faith that I'll hit *some* fun part later on.

I perfectly understand there being some *low* bits in a game experience and if timed correctly, these make the *high* parts all the sweeter, but I should be having fun from the moment I step into the damn game.

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
Fdzzaigl said:
I absolutely agree, I get so pissed off when people pull that excuse "It gets better later on!", this especially happens a ton in MMO's (which I know Yahtzee hates).

Why I would be motivated to chip away at a solid brick wall with a frekking spoon to reach some supposed fun behind it, is beyond me.

The developers obviously seem to expect me to KNOW when exactly the fun is going to start, well big surprise, I'm not going through an excruciatingly boring experience on the pure faith that I'll hit *some* fun part later on.

I perfectly understand there being some *low* bits in a game experience and if timed correctly, these make the *high* parts all the sweeter, but I should be having fun from the moment I step into the damn game.
The correct phrasing would have been "It gets EVEN better later on".

You "boldly go, where no man has gone before", as you explore beautiful islands, untouched by human hand.
I know many people would rather have nonstop action, rather than having more of an adventure at the beginning.

I don't see how the first part is not enjoyable, as the monster killing routine sets in soon enough.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
This thread makes me think...
People who think Yatzee should have done his job better and played the game longer= Fanboys

People who defend Yatzee and talk about a game they don't know= Right About Everything?

o_O

The only problem I had with the review was that he played it for a max of 2 hours. The tutorial is only 60-90 minutes long. And it's not holding your hand through the entire tutorial either. If you get hurt, the tut pops up and tell your how to heal.

I love when Yatzee bashes a game, but it is not fun when it seems like he didn't even PLAY the game.

That is all.

BTW I loved his review of Alan Wake and I'm in love with Alan Wake at the moment.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
kordo said:
Then why the fuck does Yahtzee bother reviewing JRPGs when we know he'll lay the smackdown on them no matter what? Reviews of his such as this one are the WORST because we all know what's coming - rendering them completely and utterly pointless (not to mention dull and unfunny).
750 comments.

PiCroft

He who waits behind the wall
Mar 12, 2009
To be honest, I think the 10 hour tutorial Yahtzee is talking about is just because Yahtzee wasn't aware that the utterly tedious horseshit he was playing was the actual game.

I vaguely remember playing the first Monster Hunter, but I think I lost parts of my memory as it was what turned me to the warm, peaty embrace of good, hard Scotch.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
go nana go said:
To be fair it wouldn't exist if there wasn't a cheap low-cost system to develop it on (WII) They didn't have the finances to risk making a huge project on the 360/ps3 so they put it on wii, and it paid off. Maybe their next one will be on the high-def systems though.
True, but, in an ideal world where Monster Hunter had no budget restrictions, it's hard to say it would be a better game if placed on a console such as the 360 and PS3.

Not to say the Wii isn't a fun console, but, it's not the same type of console as the Xbox and PS3 in my opinion.

Laggings

Mar 10, 2010
Whenever Yahtzee reviews a game I haven't played yet but will in the future, I wait until I've played through it before I watch his review. When he reviews a game I've never heard of, I watch a couple of gameplay videos before cause I wouldn't want the first impression I get from a game to be accompanied by somebody else's opinion.

In case of this game (and many others before), his review was pretty much exactly what my thoughts were after havig watched ~40 min's of gameplay footage. Title sounds promising, intro sequence looks promising, the actual game - a real letdown :/

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
i thought i did mention why

ive seen monster hunter fans threaten on forums and real life over others saying they couldnt get in to it. im one of those threatened

TetsuoKaneda

Feb 11, 2009
I was going to buy this game, but after both these reviews, the time I played it with my brother, and the fans on this board and the way they went about defending it, I'm going to pass. The last time I saw this many fallacies and pouncing on minor points, I was a dissenter at a geocentrist's convention.

I hope it gives you joy, O defenders of Monster Hunter Tri. You just cost your beloved game another sale or more. Of course, given the way your arguments run (and I'm not going through 22 pages of posts just to root out specific examples...I'm a drunk and I'm bored but not THAT obsessive), you'll probably just go "mnyeh mnyeh mnyeh, you're stupid, you haven't played the game, you wouldn't actually hate it otherwise!" and pat yourselves on the back.

Tigbun

Feb 1, 2010
Pretty true when it comes down to it. I admit I play the game PSP :MHFU just to play with friends and for the wasting of time between other things in my day. And sure the challenge is some of the fun, but I look into it and see that it is just a bunch of time wasted on Armor and Weapons that are pretty much all the same except the combat styles.

If you are playing a game to pass time it is perfect. But as far as story and other gameplay elements go, it is basic to say the least if it wasn't for the "skills" system or your own knowing when to dip or dodge a blow that is coming next.

Krong

Oct 11, 2009
TetsuoKaneda said:
I was going to buy this game, but after both these reviews, the time I played it with my brother, and the fans on this board and the way they went about defending it, I'm going to pass. The last time I saw this many fallacies and pouncing on minor points, I was a dissenter at a geocentrist's convention.

I hope it gives you joy, O defenders of Monster Hunter Tri. You just cost your beloved game another sale or more. Of course, given the way your arguments run (and I'm not going through 22 pages of posts just to root out specific examples...I'm a drunk and I'm bored but not THAT obsessive), you'll probably just go "mnyeh mnyeh mnyeh, you're stupid, you haven't played the game, you wouldn't actually hate it otherwise!" and pat yourselves on the back.
I'm happy that Yahtzee is driving off noobs like this. You would have just ruined the game for everyone else online by triple carting quests.
Thanks from the community for not buying the game, bro! :D

xwhitey

Mar 21, 2009
I don't get this people make a big thing about single player games being to sort them when people try to make them longer you shot at them? longer game = game takes longer to get into its form.

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
RaikuFA said:
i thought i did mention why

ive seen monster hunter fans threaten on forums and real life over others saying they couldnt get in to it. im one of those threatened
I'm not quite sure if I get what you are trying to say.

Nevertheless you can't blame such a thing on the game itself.
There are douchebags in every community.