Monster Hunter Tri

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Considering the circumstances, people can fling whatever they want from each other, but understand that Yahtzee has already tossed in his vote for how the series unfolds, and to be straightforward, I tend to follow his lead, not because I think he's like a god and he's right on everything, but sadly I've found my tastes to be as harsh as his, and really, if it takes so much just to continue with the game, why bother?

The sword growing dull is realistic, but c'mon, it takes you awhile just to face the monster, and unless you actually knew how to hit the monster in the exact way, than you'll be 'dulling the sword' often. I don't find any of that fun at all. The gatherer role isn't fun either, enough to where I don't even want to try and play it.

Really guys, don't try to convince him, nor should you just give him the 'u sux' type of thing. A guy with a higher vocabulary does not offend so easily >.>

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
DarkPanda XIII said:
Considering the circumstances, people can fling whatever they want from each other, but understand that Yahtzee has already tossed in his vote for how the series unfolds, and to be straightforward, I tend to follow his lead, not because I think he's like a god and he's right on everything, but sadly I've found my tastes to be as harsh as his, and really, if it takes so much just to continue with the game, why bother?

The sword growing dull is realistic, but c'mon, it takes you awhile just to face the monster, and unless you actually knew how to hit the monster in the exact way, than you'll be 'dulling the sword' often. I don't find any of that fun at all. The gatherer role isn't fun either, enough to where I don't even want to try and play it.

Really guys, don't try to convince him, nor should you just give him the 'u sux' type of thing. A guy with a higher vocabulary does not offend so easily >.>
Hmm, I think you're missing the point of many of the MH fans, which isn't to try and convince Yahtzee that his opinion is somehow wrong (at least I hope they aren't!) but more that his "review", and I use the term loosely there, is full of inaccuracies.

As a critic everything he comments on is his opinion, and rightly so, but it also has to be accurate about the game in question. A 10 hour tutorial is not accurate. Complaining about not being able to change weapons, a restriction that a blind monkey could see is in place in order to not break the game, is not accurate, complaining that you don't know what to sell is not accurate (the game pretty much tells you in the flavour text of the item how important it may be and if it can just be sold).

So you get all these mistakes, and although admittedly there are fanboys who would cry and scream and gnash their teeth, Yahtzee's reaction to a lot of people going "hey wait a minute" is to cover his ears, pull some more random and wrong facts from under his hat, and basically say "up yours" to any person who dares to have the audacity to like a game. So I'm slightly confused as to why you don't want the fans to insult Yahtzee, but it's perfectly alright for him to engage in this self-indulgent rant which almost sounds like he's trying to justify his position, something any critic should never have to do.

Then of course you get people like yourself who possibly haven't played the game and yet take Yahtzee's word as God. Understandable as it is (he IS popular after all) it is also a logical fallacy. As I've said in some other post if you followed Yahtzee's word on everything you'd only ever play Treasure Island Dizzy.

I have to ask though, how much ARE you willing to put into a game? You ask why bother if a game takes effort? I ask why bother if a game takes no effort? There are people out there who enjoy devoting time and energy into a game in order to reap the big rewards just as there are people who enjoy throwing on a FPS and blasting some people online. It almost sounds like you are insinuating that opinion is wrong. Something else you seem to share with Yahtzee I may add.

rpspartin

Aug 4, 2009
Quorothorn said:
Also, the Buffy the Vampire Slayer video game "Chaos Bleeds" (yeah, yeah, I know) actually did weapon degeneration pretty well. Of course, the two swords that you could find in the game were immune to it, so that helped it make sense.
WHOA someone else who actually played Chaos Bleeds ? It's a bloody miracle.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
t_rexaur said:
Hmm, I think you're missing the point of many of the MH fans, which isn't to try and convince Yahtzee that his opinion is somehow wrong (at least I hope they aren't!) but more that his "review", and I use the term loosely there, is full of inaccuracies.

As a critic everything he comments on is his opinion, and rightly so, but it also has to be accurate about the game in question. A 10 hour tutorial is not accurate. Complaining about not being able to change weapons, a restriction that a blind monkey could see is in place in order to not break the game, is not accurate, complaining that you don't know what to sell is not accurate (the game pretty much tells you in the flavour text of the item how important it may be and if it can just be sold).

So you get all these mistakes, and although admittedly there are fanboys who would cry and scream and gnash their teeth, Yahtzee's reaction to a lot of people going "hey wait a minute" is to cover his ears, pull some more random and wrong facts from under his hat, and basically say "up yours" to any person who dares to have the audacity to like a game. So I'm slightly confused as to why you don't want the fans to insult Yahtzee, but it's perfectly alright for him to engage in this self-indulgent rant which almost sounds like he's trying to justify his position, something any critic should never have to do.

Then of course you get people like yourself who possibly haven't played the game and yet take Yahtzee's word as God. Understandable as it is (he IS popular after all) it is also a logical fallacy. As I've said in some other post if you followed Yahtzee's word on everything you'd only ever play Treasure Island Dizzy.

I have to ask though, how much ARE you willing to put into a game? You ask why bother if a game takes effort? I ask why bother if a game takes no effort? There are people out there who enjoy devoting time and energy into a game in order to reap the big rewards just as there are people who enjoy throwing on a FPS and blasting some people online. It almost sounds like you are insinuating that opinion is wrong. Something else you seem to share with Yahtzee I may add.
Odd part was that I have tried alot of games he didn't or did play before, mostly due to share said opinion, and I will admit that there are a few games that I'll say that I like outside of his word. This would include Overlord II, which was one he despised, mostly because I loved the Minions themselves. I love RTSes and even some JRPGs, so forgive my lack of elaboration and the drool over Yahtzee and his critiques.

I didn't like FFXIII, mostly because I like the more interaction that the rest of the FF games can give, and felt that moving around from one dot to another in a linear perspective just didn't sit well with me, and ironically I went longer than Yahtzee did. I played Dante's Inferno before he reviewed it, and got sick to my stomach after a few hours of gameplay, and couldn't finish it.

I guess my drool over his critiques have started out since it was him who reviewed Saints Row 2 that I tried it, and found it to be my favorite. I tried alot of the things he said in his opinion was bad, and save for a few, I've tried it out without thinking of what Yahtzee said, and had to toss my controller halfway across the room to get myself away from it.

And yeah, I do miss the point alot, but after reading a few pages of some people on here, it does sound like they were trying to say he was wrong. But, hey, my opinions are like a waterdrop in an ocean, don't really mean a thing, and it's not like I'm going to hurt somebody's opinion. Plus I was trying to say something neautral, but ended up saying what I was said with no-sleep, so, yeah, moron at wheel :p

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I'm surprised people are still harping on this. Monster Hunter is a bad game. If you want to convince yourselves that Yahtzee's opinion is somehow less valid than other critics due to his grasp of humor and use of foul language, Game Informer gave it a 7. That's about a -3.5 on a magazine review scale, and only half a point higher than Alpha Protocol's 6.5 (Which in magazine scale is something like a -11.) For different yet overlapping reasons I did not care for Monster Hunter Tri, but you know what? Monster Hunter Tri has some serious problems right down to its core. Monster Hunter Tri sucks. Lots of games suck, it isn't all that uncommon it turns out, but even still some people can still find enjoyment in them for whatever reason. If you like the game, then great for you. But don't get all up in a tizzy because someone sees your jewel-sprinkled turd not for the tiny sparkly bits but for the pile of excrement that makes up the majority of it. No game is perfect, but Monster Hunter Tri is much less so than most, and almost all its flaws are glaringly obvious after playing just a few minutes. Therefore, people who like the game get this super-cool 'you didn't play it enough, n00b' excuse for people who don't like wasting time with frustrating bullshit. There are some good ideas in this game, just like probably every game since E.T. for the Atari 2600. But if you want to pretend there aren't issues with your flawed gem, then you're either achingly irrational or a diehard Sonic the Hedgehog fan.

I'll just be over here, playing Master of the Monster Lair.

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
Podunk said:
In my opinion Monster Hunter is a bad game.
[...]
In my opinion Monster Hunter Tri sucks.
[...]
No game is perfect, but in my opinion Monster Hunter Tri is much less so than most, and in my opinion almost all its flaws are glaringly obvious after playing just a few minutes.
Fixed that for you.

So you actually took time to look up another review.
Very praiseworthy.
But there are lots of other reviews which gave it a better score.

Not that I really care about reviews anyway.
Most games that get a 9-10 nowadays, I find not worth plaing anyway.
All the hype and the praise the games recieve, where 90% of the budget was spend on visuals, makes me feel nauseated.
For the PC at least.

Yes the game is not perfect, but the things Yahtzee pointed out are not its flaws.

I can tell you what annoys me.

The monster scaling for multiplayer is set for 4 people (or so I've been told).
Would it be so hard to have the monster scale for the number of people in the missions?
I enjoy playing with 1-2 friends at the time and I really don't want to take random people with me, while I'm playing with them.

Wii speak doesn't work properly.
It is hard to understand the others and you have to repeat yourself often.
It works great in other games, wo why not here?
Capcom said they are working on it, but there hasn't been an update since then.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
It's his job to review games, it's like every nerds dream job. Then he has a cry because people were pissed at him for quitting his job halfway through. If a builder decided, hey I'm tired of building your house, it has a roof so you can technically live in it... YOU WOULD KICK HIM IN THE BUM AND SAY GET BACK TO WORK AND FINISH YOU LAZY TOOL. (Sorry there's TOS I really wanted to swear)

Anyways, I was just ticked that it was such a half-assed review. So here's hoping that he moves away from RPG's and review something he likes, then maybe it won't suck as much.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
Is he moaning about his busy life?

Stop writing shitty books and do your job.

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
Mindmaker said:
Your item box is always a mess.
Most of the games with tremendous amounts of items have at least some auto-sort feature or put the items in categories.
You can spend the quarter of an hour to tidy you box up, but after a few hours of gameplay everything is in disorder again.
I already gave up on it.
Forget that part.
I just found the sorting feature.

I feel stupid now...

SemajChaos

Jun 3, 2010
TetsuoKaneda said:
I hope it gives you joy, O defenders of Monster Hunter Tri. You just cost your beloved game another sale or more. Of course, given the way your arguments run (and I'm not going through 22 pages of posts just to root out specific examples...I'm a drunk and I'm bored but not THAT obsessive), you'll probably just go "mnyeh mnyeh mnyeh, you're stupid, you haven't played the game, you wouldn't actually hate it otherwise!" and pat yourselves on the back.
"I'm sorry, Capcom. This guy won't buy the game... Well, I guess you still have your other MILLIONS of copies sold already, and still have the THOUSANDS of fans who didn't buy Tri because they didn't want to buy a Wii for one game, but instead are anxiously waiting for the next three titles. I'm sorry you can't add a few more insignificant gullible idiots to your list. Sorry, Capcom. Hope you can survive on your other several MILLION sales, not to mention previous titles, which made records in Japan. One last time, sorry."

SemajChaos

Jun 3, 2010
Dalton Frantz said:
Yahtzee has just owned you all, MH3 fanboys. And apparently, with Icy Hot on the end. Also, why would I play a tutorial for an hour and a half? I can't stand one that lasts more than 15 minutes! "0mg! the Tut0rial am 0nly 90 minnets lawng u n00b!!!1111one1111eleven111" says the fanboys who don't know how to talk to females or type and think that their World of Warcraft character is "Uber Secksy Hawt lol". A tutorial should be " Here is how you walk, here's how you move the camera, here's how you attack, and here's how you interact." and fills you in when special things are nessecary.
Like Yahtzee said, up yours with icy hot on the end.
Err... umm... How do I say this?
I am studying psychology. Let me explain something to you. The only people (give or take a few) who say things like the bold are people who have heard that enough, directed at them and/or their social group. The only people I ever see in real life saying sh!t like that are the typical 'nerds'. Whenever they fight, they bring up cr@p like that. Don't incriminate yourself with unnecessary slander. Not to mention, "Yahtzee has just owned you all, MH3T fanboys." You just nailed yourself with your own accusations.
I have never seen "minnets", "lawng", "1eleven1", or "Secksy Hawt". How long did it take you to coin those? You realize that you are one of the many morons here who hold Yahtzee as their god. Your anger is coming from us saying that Yahtzee did not give MH3T the credit it deserves do to an incomplete review. You're getting pissed because we don't agree with your Yahtzee. You are pathetic.
Play the game and you'll see MH's tutorial is like how you say they should be. Not to mention, there's an in game and booklet control manual; the 'tutorial' isn't necessary to play. Read the controls and play you game master.

Again, you idiots are coming into a Red(Yahtzee's sh!tty 'review') vs Blue(the Defense of soma in the manifestation of a videogame) debate and arguing green(Stop saying Yahtzee didn't do his jooo-buh!)

And ps. The majority of veteran MH players are girls, at least that I've seen.

@Podunk: Congrats. You have to ability to know exactly what something is without actually having anything to do with it.
I pray to what ever god you care for that you realize that that was sarcasm.

Read an article written by people who take their jobs seriously. Pick any one, or read them all. Yahtzee looks like a fool next to these. Why is he the only one who thought badly of this game? Take note: the critic and users scores have been higher than the domain score EVERY TIME. For the slower readers, that means these are the lowest scores on the review. Most of these are out of ten.
IGN: 8.8 http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14209897.html
Gamespot: 8 http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/monsterhunter3/index.html
GAMINGtruth: No number, but a good review. http://www.gamingtruth.com/2010/04/30/monster-hunter-3-tri-review/
1UP: B-(anywhere from 8-8.3, I counted it as 8) http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3179219
Gametrailers: 8.4 http://www.gametrailers.com/game/monster-hunter-tri/5632
Nintendolife: 9 http://wii.nintendolife.com/reviews/2010/04/monster_hunter_3_tri_wii
GamesRadar: 9 http://wii.nintendolife.com/reviews/2010/04/monster_hunter_3_tri_wii
Kombo: 9 http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=15848
ComputerandVideogames: 8.9 http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=244043
Videogamer: 8 http://www.videogamer.com/wii/monster_hunter_3/review-2.html
GamrReview: 9.1 http://www.videogamer.com/wii/monster_hunter_3/review-2.html
AusGamers: 9.5 http://www.ausgamers.com/games/monster-hunter-3-tri/review/
HubPages: 9.3 http://hubpages.com/hub/Monster-Hunter-3-Tri-Wii-Game-Review
LostGamer: 9 http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/04/21/monster-hunter-tri-review/
Pocket-Lint: 7 http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/4731/monster-hunter-tri-wii-review

This one is interesting. 68 critics reviewed MH3 on this website.
MetaCritics: 8.5 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/monsterhuntertri

These are only a few of the many highscores MH3 got from various game reviewers. The game averages an 8.7 in the west. Averages 10 in Japan. Its bigger than Pokemon in the place with the most gamers in the world.
It got so many PERFECT scores that there are museums, conventions, and even RAMEN dedicated to it.
http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/09/17/review-monster-hunter-3-ramen/
Read this^ They basically made the noodles the food version of MH.

Lets see some proof that this game sucks?

SemajChaos

Jun 3, 2010
I like how when someone comes forward with proofs to support their arguement, the opposing side realizes they have none and none exists to support what pitiful 'arguement' they thought they had, and ultimately, Shut The Fock Up.

Geez

Jun 9, 2010
Podunk said:
I'm surprised people are still harping on this. Monster Hunter is a bad game. If you want to convince yourselves that Yahtzee's opinion is somehow less valid than other critics due to his grasp of humor and use of foul language, Game Informer gave it a 7. That's about a -3.5 on a magazine review scale, and only half a point higher than Alpha Protocol's 6.5 (Which in magazine scale is something like a -11.) For different yet overlapping reasons I did not care for Monster Hunter Tri, but you know what? Monster Hunter Tri has some serious problems right down to its core. Monster Hunter Tri sucks. Lots of games suck, it isn't all that uncommon it turns out, but even still some people can still find enjoyment in them for whatever reason. If you like the game, then great for you. But don't get all up in a tizzy because someone sees your jewel-sprinkled turd not for the tiny sparkly bits but for the pile of excrement that makes up the majority of it. No game is perfect, but Monster Hunter Tri is much less so than most, and almost all its flaws are glaringly obvious after playing just a few minutes. Therefore, people who like the game get this super-cool 'you didn't play it enough, n00b' excuse for people who don't like wasting time with frustrating bullshit. There are some good ideas in this game, just like probably every game since E.T. for the Atari 2600. But if you want to pretend there aren't issues with your flawed gem, then you're either achingly irrational or a diehard Sonic the Hedgehog fan.

I'll just be over here, playing Master of the Monster Lair.
Wow I just made an account to tell you that your an idiot.
MH3 is by far the best game on the Wii. Gameplay is very deep and it has more content than most other Wii games. I have played it almost 200 hours.

You sound like you havent even played any MH game ever you just read some reviews.

So if you dont know anything about something, stfu pls.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Geez said:
Wow I just made an account to tell you that your an idiot.
MH3 is by far the best game on the Wii. Gameplay is very deep and it has more content than most other Wii games. I have played it almost 200 hours.

You sound like you havent even played any MH game ever you just read some reviews.

So if you dont know anything about something, stfu pls.
I'm not going to argue about the BEST WII GAME EVAR, but the amount of time you can sink into something doesn't make it good. I'd rather have 10 productive, exciting hours rather than 200 passable ones. Super special reply, but I have indeed played Tri, it's sitting right on my shelf next to other, better games. So if that's your beef then you wasted your time making the account.

Oh, and welcome to The Escapist. : )

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
Fattimus said:
Mindmaker said:
I can tell you what annoys me.

The monster scaling for multiplayer is set for 4 people (or so I've been told).
Would it be so hard to have the monster scale for the number of people in the missions?
I enjoy playing with 1-2 friends at the time and I really don't want to take random people with me, while I'm playing with them.

Wii speak doesn't work properly.
It is hard to understand the others and you have to repeat yourself often.
It works great in other games, wo why not here?
Capcom said they are working on it, but there hasn't been an update since then.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
You can set monster scaling, actually, by setting Missions for 1, 2, 3, or 4 people online. If you're going up against monsters scaled for 4 people, then you're not actually setting it for less.
I've been doing that.
Are you sure?
Have you some official source on that?

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
In regards to the amount of time the "tutorial" takes... I'd consider the tutorial over once you are let loose on your very first great jaggi. Then it's just covering more advanced concepts.

As for actual time I've spent playing? I'm sitting at 56 hours, 22 minutes and haven't fought the fourth boss (Barroth) yet. But that's mostly because I've got the seemingly neurotic "need" to gather a copy of every armour and as many useful weapons as possible, and am slacking off. Oh, and I spent a lot of time just being lazy in the freehunt mode.

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
No, I mean I've been saeeting it on the number of people that actually where doing the quest.
Still, even though I had weapons from the end of the single player campaign and have been hitting him sonstantly, Qurupeco took ages to take down.
Maybe my friends haven't been doing any damage...

I'll do some missions alone and see if it's true.