Most Disliked Stereotype

UberCharlie

Aug 12, 2008
Honestly, I get a little annoyed when people assume that my muscular physique somehow means I am an amoral or stupid thug. I've even had kids run to their parents for protection. Their expression always dissolves into shock and surprise when I'm well spoken and nice. A little politeness goes a long way, I guess.

Also, I suppose I don't look enough like a geek. There's been more than one occasion where I've wandered into a hobby shop and had customers stare. They look at me like I'm going to start mocking them whilst they play Warhammer or Magic.

"Dude! Relax! I'm the Dungeon Master!"

Odegauger

Apr 7, 2010
I'd probably say the nerd/geek stereotype, not just the core things(no life, obsessed with fictional entertainment, "too smart for their own good"), but some of the baffling baggage I've seen people attach to the stereotype - (chauvinist who only wants submissive virginal women who won't threaten their masculinity, elitist, victim complex, misanthrope who wants everyone else to die in a nuclear firestorm, occasionally racist, etc.). But in all honesty, blacks and arabs get the shittier end of the deal when it comes to stereotypes, so I cast my vote for them.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Jake Lewis Clayton said:
That being a youngish bisexual male, i must be a "poser", or in it for just more sex.

That because i bash sony i'm an xbox fanboy

That because i'm only 5 foot 8, as a man i have some sort of debilitating physical weakness.

That i'm a gamer, and as a gamer i must hate the outdoors. i don't fancy running round a field in my spare time chasing a ball, but i do enjoy the fresh air that the outdoor world does provide.
These ones apply to me too and I hate them all.

Well, the first one applies kind of. I got the "your such a poser" reaction when I first came out as gay. As if somehow me being gay is going to get me more sex than being straight would? Morons...

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
OH! This one:

Because I'm a guy who, yes, sometimes wears eyeliner, that automatically makes me an emo self-harmer who likes MCR.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Patrick Young said:
the australian stereotype the stereotype of australia is that we have giant spiders Australia does not have giant spiders
You still got the sharks, venomous snakes, and let's not forget the crocodiles. Oops, almost forgot the deadly box jellyfish.

Also, giant is a relative term as to what you're used to. I'm used to spiders that are about the size of my pinky fingernail. People down in Florida are used to banana spiders, which are about the size of your hand, so your spiders wouldn't be giant to them.

The stereotypes I don't like are the ones that aren't funny anymore. Irish people drink, Italians talk with their hands, the English have bad teeth. Not only are they not always true, they're so ubiquitous that they've become cliches.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Least favorite stereotype? That all feminists are lesbian psychopaths who hate men and want to take over the world using double standards and hypocrisy.

I'm a white, straight male, and I am a feminist. So long as the definition of feminism is the idea that women are equal human beings and should have equal, protected rights, I will always be a feminist. Judging the loudest and worst of any given group as the majority of that group is simplistic and childish and on par with saying that "anyone who is conservative must be in the KKK." People really need to grow up!

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Anime Fan = Pervert. Specifically the kind of pervert who believes a woman is only worth looking at if she's a double-D or bigger, and who needs to see a neck stump gushing blood before they can get it up.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
That fat poeple can't fight back. Not only can I, but I will break your goddamn face with my large, yet solid, ass.

Armored Prayer said:
Oh just because I'm a Muslim I must be some sort of extremist who wishes death upon America.

This was extremely disgusting during that whole NY mosque crisis last year. Then again it was pretty stupid to locate it close to a very sensitive site.
I'm still half an half on that....the Mosque thing, not Muslim. I knew a dude who was all "Osama? Off that **** can fuck!" (Literally, that's what he said when I asked him his opinion on the matter). There shouldn't be anything wrong with putting up a Mosque in the middle of NY, but at least realise people would complain and not put it down the road from GZ...

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
The ones that apply to me would be that all Canadians say "eh" and "aboot". Also that were always nice and all of that crap.

The worst stereotype would probably be abut Muslims, though. The amount of middle eastern people who are actually terrorists is extremely limited and yet everyone seems to harbor secret hate against them.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Zaverexus said:
My answer: That intelligent people cannot also be athletic. I know everyone on the internet says he is intelligent, but taking high level classes and fencing and practicing parkour I run into far too many people who assume academics and athletics are mutually exclusive.
That pretty much sums me up. I have a black-belt in karate and people don't believe me until i chow them some moves.

Oh, and the "Gamers/Nerds live with their parents, in their basement and is fat" one really pisses me off. It doesn't apply to me cause I'm in highschool so... yeah.

Anyways, this an example of that. This is what Hollywood thinks of you gamers.
http://youtu.be/HFfJ4ZC1AtA

AmbushIntheDark

Aug 2, 2010
Reaper195 said:
That fat poeple can't fight back. Not only can I, but I will break your goddamn face with my large, yet solid, ass.
Amen brother. More than a few times growing up I had to put some dumbass bullies in their place.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Zaverexus said:
Simple Enough: What stereotype is do people apply to you that you most dislike?

My answer: That intelligent people cannot also be athletic. I know everyone on the internet says he is intelligent, but taking high level classes and fencing and practicing parkour I run into far too many people who assume academics and athletics are mutually exclusive.
There aren't many stereotypes that I dislike, even the ones that are negative and can be applied to me. I'm a big believer in sociology and how true they tend to be despite resistance. I won't go into a major rant on this though.

That said, I think there is some misunderstanding of stereotypes. For example saying that athletics and academics are mutally exclusive is not actually a proper stereotype. Actually there are proper stereotypes about that, with say the quintessential "gentleman" or "renaissance man". The typical preppy/upper class snob of fiction is someone who both has a degree, and awards for athletic excellence. By way of being annoying the media usually has this stereotype getting trounced (as unrealistic as that may be) in a sort of social satire, you know the snob who also happens to be a golden glove boxer, yet somehow manages to get beaten up by your blue collar protaganist. I believe there was an incidence of this in "Quantum Leap" that wound up being parodied for a while, though to be fair Sam Beckette himself was supposed to be one of those scholor/athlete types, hand to hand combat being one of his fortes and he was well known for using those skills in some very unlikely bodies (sometimes with hilarious results, or a bad misfire when the body he occupied couldn't keep up with what he was trying to do).

The stereotype your looking at is one about extremes, the stereotype, and the truth, is that someone who is at the absolute PEAK of an academic or athletic field, is going to be deficient in the other, and that's generally true, since getting there comes at the expense of focusing on other things. Typically the exceptions that many exist come at the expense of putting someone into a differant stereotype like the "snob" above. That's one thing about stereotypes, by avoiding one you enter into another one, which might even be less flattering. It should be noted however that in general by stepping out of the stereotype of an extremely focused athlete or academic, it generally means your not going to be dealing with someone who is actually at the very top of the game despite what they might think. It's very true that dedication comes with costs, and the stereotype exists for that reason.

You might in your mind have an image of certain renaissance men, or the "Bucakroo Banzai" hero of fiction who are somehow magically good at everything (you know... Batman) but that doesn't reflect reality. Even the actual "Reinaissance Men" that the term comes from, guys like Davinci, were not all that when you learn more about them. For example for all the fields Davinci allegedly mastered, it seems increasingly likely that he himself was something of a con artist and might have been stealing the work of others and was simply very good at it. I've read some stuff about his engineering for example, with various scholors pointing out that what he supposedly originated seems to have origins in writings before what he came up with. He in some cases might simply have built a prototype of something that someone else actually developed and said "this is mine" since his sources were then obscure enough where he was unlikely to be questioned. I believe books like "The Davinci Code" actually mentioned this, but were also quick to dismiss it for the purposes of the story for example.

The point I'm making is not so much to make an arguement for the sake of arguement, but to point out that stereotypes exist for a reason, and while people rebel in thinking that humans are magical and beyond classification and so on, that's a false path of logic, as sociologists and psychologists continually prove. In general someone breaking all stereotypes is usually a sign of a deception, rather than stereotypes not being true. In most cases however someone saying that stereotypes are wrong, because they don't fit one people try and put them into, well as often or not that's simply a matter of mis-classification. As in the case of the whole "all Academics are by nature weak and unathletic" that being true is part of certain steretypes (and an extreme one dealing with dedication) but it's not a stereotype as much as an intellecual construct since there are stereotypes that include a person being both.

At any rate I'm rambling. I won't get into why, but this is sort of an issue for me. Not so much because I love stereotyping people, but because I think people make a mountain out of a molehill, and by screaming about humans refusing classifiction we both make ourselves the victims of those who use sociology for things like advertising, and avoid addressing problems that could be dealt with fairly easily if people would just get over their resentment of groups of people and patterns of behavior being able to be identified, singled out, and dealt with on their own merits.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
DuctTapeJedi said:
smearyllama said:
DuctTapeJedi said:
When I got back from Africa this summer, a bunch of people kept asking me what it was like sleeping in mud huts in the jungle, and eating bugs.

Dude, the first day we got to the place we were staying, there were two kids sitting on the sofa playing X Box. We had pizza soda regularly.
Pizza soda? That sounds amazing.
Also, who seriously believes that?
Like, my mom's entire half of the family...

And it was the best pizza I have ever eaten in my entire life.
That's gotta be awkward.
I hope you set things straight to some extent.

sidecord

Dec 11, 2009
that people who play D&D turn out to be bad people and hate god (at least that what ive been told by others)
while not a very religions person,(for other reasons i shall not go into details for), i have friends who are and they will some times play it at their church
ive been playing for over half my life and im a nicer person then most of the people at my old school

Alkaline

Mar 12, 2011
I'm a gay Aspergian metalhead.

Enough said.

Woodsey said:
The stereotype that only gays wave their sexuality in your face, or that they do it more than straight people. Whenever there's a thread about gays, there's always at least one fuck face who'll chip in about how they hate gays "waving it in your face".
HOLY CRAP, THIS.

Ahem.

But yeah, in my experience it's only ever been straight people who've done this to me. Never the other way 'round.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Drake666 said:
Canid117 said:
Patrick Young said:
the australian stereotype the stereotype of australia is that we have giant spiders Australia does not have giant spiders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider

Three inches is pretty decent.
Resist the urges... "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID !"... damn... no self-control...
Yeah... if thats what your girlfriend thinks then she has low standards...

juggalosqueaks

Nov 10, 2010
That because I have long hair I must be a hippie

That because I'm scrawny I can't hold my own in a fight

That because I cosplay at anime conventions and study Japanese history I must be a Weeaboo

That because I play Pokemon I'm immature

That because I'm prone to using slang I'm uneducated or have a poor grasp of the english language

That because I read theoretical physics I'm a brainy geek (note that I don't understand a lot of it but it's fun to try and comprehend nonetheless)

That because I know what the BIOS is in my pc I'm a computer whiz

That because I listen to ICP I must be an uneducated thug obsessed with necrophelia and murder who denies science or, more commonly, is a gang member

That because I'm an Atheist I must be anti-god(mind you, I do loathe the institution of religion but I have no beef with those who believe in God provided they don't try to shove it down my throat to "save" me. To each his own)

I could go on...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ohhh soo many

obvious one, I'm a PC/gamer so I must be elitist, OR Im fat and live with my mum, am pathetic and has no life

everything from romatic comedeys, basically ALL women talk about are shoes, shopping, complaining about how "fat" they are and must get to the gym, and pining for meeting the "perfect" man