Most memorable opening line in a game

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
I don't know if this counts since the game has no story (and most posts here are opening lines in a story), but it is an opening line in a game...

"Welcome to Mario Kart!"

Gives me nostalgia chills every time, and I will never forget it.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Too many ninjas on this thread for my liking. The first three that came to mind are probably the three most popular answers. Fallout, Bioshock and Half Life 2

KiruTheMant

Nov 2, 2009
"Make no mistake.
War is coming.
With all its glory.
and All its Horror.
Mr Findley, Your freedom awaits."

"Hell, its about time."

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Pearwood said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Wasn't it Skyrim?
Could be both. Bethesda aren't really known for changing the opening of those games very much.
Except in Skyrim you're off to the headsman. Bethesda's openings have a similar theme, but it's kinda offensive to claim you can't tell the difference.

Gincairn

Jan 14, 2010
"At last, I must say I'm disappointed in your progress, I imagined you'd be here sooner, tell me, did it trouble you to murder your brothers?"

(Soul Reaver 2)

"Given the choice, whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire, or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw against ones destiny. . . what was a king to do?"

(LoK: Defiance)

"Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen"

(Full Throttle)

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Thyunda said:
Except in Skyrim you're off to the headsman. Bethesda's openings have a similar theme, but it's kinda offensive to claim you can't tell the difference.
No it's not. The only thing that seperates Skyrim's opening from the others is you're never officially pardoned, up until Alduin's grand appearance it could be any other Elder Scrolls opening. And I still think the "Wake up, you were dreaming" line comes from Morrowind, when the intro cinematic cuts to black and you hear that Argonian talking to you.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Pearwood said:
Thyunda said:
No it's not. The only thing that seperates Skyrim's opening from the others is you're never officially pardoned, up until Alduin's grand appearance it could be any other Elder Scrolls opening. And I still think the "Wake up, you were dreaming" line comes from Morrowind, when the intro cinematic cuts to black and you hear that Argonian talking to you.
Somebody in the first page clarified that one, so yeah, that's that. Morrowind and New Vegas are the only two Bethesda-involved ones where you wake up in somebody's house or whatever, while Oblivion has you in prison, and Skyrim you're on the executioner's block.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Thyunda said:
Somebody in the first page clarified that one, so yeah, that's that. Morrowind and New Vegas are the only two Bethesda-involved ones where you wake up in somebody's house or whatever, while Oblivion has you in prison, and Skyrim you're on the executioner's block.
Morrowind's on a prison ship not a house but yeah I never said they're exactly the same just really similar and the dialogue is pretty interchangable.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Mayamellissa said:
mental_looney said:
Um hopefully this isn't hidden away but :)

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you: they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am or why I say this. Sit down and I will tell you a tale like none you have ever heard. "
What was this from: Doctor Who?
Prince of Persia Sands of time

Norks

Jan 21, 2010
"Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold."

or

"They let me pick, did I ever tell you that? Choose whichever Spartan I wanted..."

or

"It began, as always, with the desire for power..."

Soulblade, Halo 3 and Gears 2, some of the best openings that stick in my head.

Ninjafire72

Feb 27, 2011
Technically the opening line to Bioshock was:

"My parents always told me, 'Son, you're special. you were born to do great things.' You know what? They were right."

niege

Aug 16, 2009
ChaosEternal said:
niege said:
"Surrender or die"
"Don't you mean surrender OR die "
"not in this town"
Jak & Daxter II Renegade
I am assuming you meant surrender and die. Otherwise I am just confused, and would likely need to hear the quote myself to understand it. :p
Never sit on Escapist with sleep deprivation!
thanks for making me look like a total idiot when i fail quote my favorite game ever :)

Otterby

Mar 10, 2011
PaladinofGuns said:
The Chantry teaches us that it is the hubris of men which brought the darkspawn into our world. The mages had sought to usurp Heaven. But instead, they destroyed it. They were cast out, twisted and cursed by their own corruption. They returned as monsters, the first of the darkspawn. - -
The Canticle of Threnodies 8:13 before that is more striking in my opinion:

"And so is the Golden City blackened,
with each step you take in my Hall.
Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven,
and doom upon all the world."

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
Yomandude said:
Half-Life 2. That's all I'm saying.
"Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Er, not to suggest you've been sleeping on the job," et al.
Seconded
love the last bit of that speech
"....wake up and smell the ashes."

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
"Humans are no strangers to war. After all, we?ve been fighting for as long as we can remember. War is all we know. In the past, we fought for Imulsion. We fought for country. We fought for freedom. But all that changed after E-Day. For 15 years, we?ve been fighting for our very survival against inhuman, genocidal monsters. But it is a fight we cannot continue. Humanity faces extinction, unless we end this war now. We had hoped the Lightmass bombing would decimate the Locust Horde, but they survived?and have returned stronger than ever. They?ve brought with them a force that can sink entire cities. Even Jacinto, our last beacon of hope through all these dark days, is now at risk. Soon we?ll have nothing left to defend, and that means we have only one option?attack. Gears, what I ask of you now is not an easy thing, but it is necessary. If we are to survive?if we are to live long enough to see the seasons pass, our children grow, and experience a time of peace that we have never known?we must now take this fight to the Locust. We will go to where they live and where they breed?and we will destroy them! This is the day we take the battle to the heart of the enemy! This is the day that we correct the course of human history! This is the day we ensure our survival as a species! Soldiers of the COG, my fellow Gears, go forth and bring back the hope of humanity!"

Always gets me. Inspirational speech, soldiers massing for what they hope to be the final fight for survival, cheering, its epic.