Most obvious plot hole.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
None the less, would you allow a corporation, not some united national organisation, but a profit-seeking, share-holder centric, self-invested, greedy organisation with no immediate oversight unlimited use of nuclear weaponry against the first obviously sentient alien species we encounter?!

If so 1) you trust corporations FAR too much 2) what the hell is wrong with you?! Xenophobia much? :p
if that's the way you feel about corporations perhaps there's another plot hole? as you stated corporations cannot be trusted with defensive/aiding tools that could inevitably be use for offensive matters, so why would the government allow them to have such things? perhaps the government was the real villain?....on second thought that's most likely going to be the "plot" for #2

but anyway,if they refused to comprise with business/diplomatic negotiations and interstellar war is not a factor then sure. nobody isn't going to really care (except for the whining "ethical people").

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
Madara XIII said:
manic_depressive13 said:
I don't get how in Inception...wait.
I don't get how DiCaprio's totem would help. The point of the totem is to prevent other people from fabricating a dream and screwing you over, right? The Asian guy's rug was a good example, 'cause how the hell were they meant to know what kind of texture it would have. This anomaly made him realise it's not real. However, DiCaprio's spinning top is so obvious. All anyone who is trying to trick him would have to do is make it fall over.

Furthermore, at the end they use it to imply that he might still be dreaming. However, if it's your own dream, can't you just imagine it falling over? The totems are there to stop others from tricking you, I thought. What's to stop you from tricking yourself, assuming you're so messed up you can't tell dream from reality anymore? Is there some dream-law which says your totem never lies?

And why did they never dream anything cool? If I could control my dreams I'd create some fucking dragons or something and give myself wings, not pull stupid mirrors out of nowhere. There are mirrors in real life.

Other than that,

Why did jesus have to die? I'm not kidding you, it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me. He died for our sins, but couldn't God have just chosen to forgive us without, you know, having his son suffer an agonising death? I'm not even bible bashing. Please explain this because I've obviously missed something HUGE.

EDIT: I probably didn't need to put the second one in spoiler tags, but whatever.
Well I can explain the bible part, You see when we lived in the old testament days, God was very strict and we all had to sacrifice an animal once a week for our sins at the alter in repentence for our sins, however this process was quite troublesome, however God brought mercy on us all with HIS OWN sacrifices. Just like how we had to bring a lamb up for slaughter that must have nothing wrong with it, God brought his own son (Jesus, aka the Lamb of God) to sacrifice as he was the perfect human who had no flaws. So in other words, God drastically reduced the requirements to get into heaven.
By doing this we would no longer have to constantly go about sacrificing animals at the alter and instead all we would have to do is follow the new Testament's teachings and repent.

I hope I explained this the best I could and if you have any other questions, feel free to message me.
"when we lived in the old testament days, God was very strict..."

How do you know?

Where did God go since then?

Why did he decide not to make any more contact with us if he is still around?

Why would God appreciate murder in his name?

Last thing I would want to do is purposely have my own son murdered for me...

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Shivarage said:
Madara XIII said:
manic_depressive13 said:
I don't get how in Inception...wait.
I don't get how DiCaprio's totem would help. The point of the totem is to prevent other people from fabricating a dream and screwing you over, right? The Asian guy's rug was a good example, 'cause how the hell were they meant to know what kind of texture it would have. This anomaly made him realise it's not real. However, DiCaprio's spinning top is so obvious. All anyone who is trying to trick him would have to do is make it fall over.

Furthermore, at the end they use it to imply that he might still be dreaming. However, if it's your own dream, can't you just imagine it falling over? The totems are there to stop others from tricking you, I thought. What's to stop you from tricking yourself, assuming you're so messed up you can't tell dream from reality anymore? Is there some dream-law which says your totem never lies?

And why did they never dream anything cool? If I could control my dreams I'd create some fucking dragons or something and give myself wings, not pull stupid mirrors out of nowhere. There are mirrors in real life.

Other than that,

Why did jesus have to die? I'm not kidding you, it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me. He died for our sins, but couldn't God have just chosen to forgive us without, you know, having his son suffer an agonising death? I'm not even bible bashing. Please explain this because I've obviously missed something HUGE.

EDIT: I probably didn't need to put the second one in spoiler tags, but whatever.
Well I can explain the bible part, You see when we lived in the old testament days, God was very strict and we all had to sacrifice an animal once a week for our sins at the alter in repentence for our sins, however this process was quite troublesome, however God brought mercy on us all with HIS OWN sacrifices. Just like how we had to bring a lamb up for slaughter that must have nothing wrong with it, God brought his own son (Jesus, aka the Lamb of God) to sacrifice as he was the perfect human who had no flaws. So in other words, God drastically reduced the requirements to get into heaven.
By doing this we would no longer have to constantly go about sacrificing animals at the alter and instead all we would have to do is follow the new Testament's teachings and repent.

I hope I explained this the best I could and if you have any other questions, feel free to message me.

How do you know?

Last thing I would want to do is purposely have my own son murdered for me...
It even said so that God was strict. Getting into Heaven was a hell of alot harder than it is now.
In Romans Chapter 1 it said that God took a big step back from humanity seeing as how we wanted him out of our lives and wanted to do whatever we wanted to do, seeing as how God wouldn't want to force us to love him. (Harder to explain, but let me know If I should emphasize a bit more.)

Sadly Sacrificing was the only method back then to atone for the sins of Humanity. And secondly they ate the meat I believe after out of Necessity. (Don't get all Animal Activist on me about the BC TIME DAMMIT) Had Adam and Eve listened we wouldn't be here discussing such contreversial BS.

And finally put it this way. You don't want to go thru with sacrificing your son (ALSO it is yourself in Human form due to Omnipresence), but you realize that a good 90% of humanity will fall into Hell by their own had if you don't do so.
So Instead of having us all Constantly sacrificing animals in such a fashion every week and running little to no chance of getting into Heaven, He sacrifices his son (IE himself in human form) to open the gates of Heaven to us. To forgive us of our sin, but still having to do what we can to live by him.

This all can be found in the Bible dude, whether you believe it or not is your decision, I just prefer not to have my beliefs belittled by a skeptic. So my advice is that if you want to analyze God like that, then try reading the bible and make your own Opinion from there rather than confronting someone who was trying to explain why an event happened the way it did.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Littlee300 said:
Wicky_42 said:
Littlee300 said:
1. Why didn't you orbital bomb those tree huggers
2. Just drop two tank on top of their main base :p
3. How they are able to sharpen the spears but they can go through bullet proof gas. I mean if you can sharpen them, so they can't be too hard... (my logic may be flawed, don't be ass holes when proving it)
4. Maybe I am just being a baby because the bad guys won.
Couple of answers to your questions are available on the official site.
1) Orbital weaponry is banned from use by the corporation's interstellar exploitation contract - they're not allowed to sail over the galaxy nuking shit ;)
Oh so we are able to kill Earth with pollution but we can't fucking kill a foreign planet? ( I just I just)
Yep, pretty much. I don't think there's much of a natural ecosystem left on Earth, so there's probably a bit of political pressure there to, at least ostensibly, avoid destroying other habitable worlds. If you think about it, would you let, say, Virgin or Mircosoft get first dibs on interstellar travel, find an almost magically perfect planet with abundant resources, and then nuke it to oblivion? That limit makes sense to me.
They could snipe the birds from high altitude at least...

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
DragonChi said:
LOTR..the Giant Eagle Race could just fly someone with the ring right into Mordor, into mount doom and drop off the ring. completely bypassing hours of unnecessary bother.
The Eagle creatures aren't fond of humans, so they have ignored human problems a long time ago. Didn't you read the books?

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010

EDIT: I probably didn't need to put the second one in spoiler tags, but whatever.[/quote]

I hope I explained this the best I could and if you have any other questions, feel free to message me.[/quote]

How do you know?

Last thing I would want to do is purposely have my own son murdered for me...[/quote]

It even said so that God was strict. Getting into Heaven was a hell of alot harder than it is now.
In Romans Chapter 1 it said that God took a big step back from humanity seeing as how we wanted him out of our lives and wanted to do whatever we wanted to do, seeing as how God wouldn't want to force us to love him. (Harder to explain, but let me know If I should emphasize a bit more.)

Sadly Sacrificing was the only method back then to atone for the sins of Humanity. And secondly they ate the meat I believe after out of Necessity. (Don't get all Animal Activist on me about the BC TIME DAMMIT) Had Adam and Eve listened we wouldn't be here discussing such contreversial BS.

And finally put it this way. You don't want to go thru with sacrificing your son (ALSO it is yourself in Human form due to Omnipresence), but you realize that a good 90% of humanity will fall into Hell by their own had if you don't do so.
So Instead of having us all Constantly sacrificing animals in such a fashion every week and running little to no chance of getting into Heaven, He sacrifices his son (IE himself in human form) to open the gates of Heaven to us. To forgive us of our sin, but still having to do what we can to live by him.

This all can be found in the Bible dude, whether you believe it or not is your decision, I just prefer not to have my beliefs belittled by a skeptic. So my advice is that if you want to analyze God like that, then try reading the bible and make your own Opinion from there rather than confronting someone who was trying to explain why an event happened the way it did.[/quote]

Sacrifice NEVER needed to happen

Just sounds like someone justifying murdering animals to stay alive...

And religion is just someone making up stories to ease peoples fear of death

Why does hell exist?

Why does a supposed ever-loving "God" allow it to exist?

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
Mikeyfell said:
this one made my nipples explode

At the end of Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 5
Dawn is the key thing [sub]that whole sub plot was stupid but that's not what I'm on about[/sub]
and when she starts to bleed all the gates to hell or where ever open up.
In order to close the gates Buffy has to stop Dawn from bleeding.
They already decided that the fastest way to stop Dawn from bleeding would be to kill her.
Instead of killing Dawn, Buffy jumps off the crane and dies.
The gates close. Dawn, the Key is still bleeding. What The Fuck.

not to mention that they spent the first half of the season saying that the Key could be anything. An animal, a tree, a rock, a person. then at the end they say that the only way to use the Key is to make it bleed? What if it had been a rock?
I agree with the second point but don't you remember any of the bits with the first slayer speaking to buffy?

She told Buffy that death is your gift. The whole point was that once the prtal opened it would only close once dawn had died. But Buffy shares the same blood so by killing herself she closed the portal... death was her gift! Plus she did say that no matter what no one was going to kill Dawn, Buffy told everyone that if they did she would kill them...

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Nieroshai said:
Knight Templar said:
]
What?
I thought she was made by a Brain scan like all AI's. I was expecting the "Aha!" to be that she was a brain scan of Dr "I made the Spartans".
Last time I'm going to say this in this thread: read the novels. Or at least The Fall of Reach. It answers your speculations quite thoroughly.
That and GoO are the Only books I have not read.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Littlee300 said:
3. How they are able to sharpen the spears but they can go through bullet proof gas. I mean if you can sharpen them, so they can't be too hard... (my logic may be flawed, don't be ass holes when proving it)
1. They didn't have the resources.
2. That didn't make any sense I have no idea what you just siad.
3. Again, that made no sense, bullet proof gas? What?
4. The good guys one.

Night At The Museum, the guy never ever sleeps.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
sketch_zeppelin said:
Its nit picking but i never bought the expliantion of what the Batmobile was suppose to be in Batman Begins. It was suppose to leap over a canyon caring a cable so a bridge could be built for troops to cross?

Okay so let me get this straight. we have a vehicle that costs several million dollars and we're going to lauch it off a fucking cliff? Isn't that a bit risky? What if the driver misses? Don't we already have trucks that can create bridges without crossing the gap?

The explination just never sat well with me. Now if you'd said that it was suppose to be a highly mobile armored scout vehicle i'd have bought it.
Well that's probably why it only made it to prototype stage. Wanted to see if it would work, it did work, but wasn't cost effective/too risky so they canned it.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Littlee300 said:
How 'bout the fact that we're expected to believe that the humans are going to leave Pandora alone forever and never come back.

I think American history has shown us that if the people who live in trees have stuff that white people with guns want, one little catastrophic defeat isn't going to discourage them. They'll just come back with bigger guns.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
God of War:
1- Why didn't Kratos absorb his god-power back from the Blade of Olympus?
2- Why didn't Kratos go back in time to stop Ares from tricking him into killing his wife and child?
3- If the Flame of Olympus is able to kill anything that touches it, why not just throw Zeus into it?
4- Why is Kratos trying to re-obtain Pandoras box to kill Zeus when he has already killed half a dozen other Gods and had Zeus limping away at near death by the end of God of War 2 without having to re-open it?
5- How the fuck did the Kraken make it up to the Temple? The Kraken is a giant monster octopus! (And it's the easiest boss in the entire GoW series)
6- Why does killing Hermes and Hera cause disease and plagues?
7- Does the souls of the Dead being let loose do anything to the souls of Kratos' Family?

Don't get me wrong, I think the games are amazing but these plot holes just keep niggling in my head.

Also I think there is a bit of inconcistency regarding the length of Nathan Drakes beard/stubble in Uncharted 2. Can anyone let me know if i'm wrong?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
mad825 said:
Wicky_42 said:
None the less, would you allow a corporation, not some united national organisation, but a profit-seeking, share-holder centric, self-invested, greedy organisation with no immediate oversight unlimited use of nuclear weaponry against the first obviously sentient alien species we encounter?!

If so 1) you trust corporations FAR too much 2) what the hell is wrong with you?! Xenophobia much? :p
if that's the way you feel about corporations perhaps there's another plot hole? as you stated corporations cannot be trusted with defensive/aiding tools that could inevitably be use for offensive matters, so why would the government allow them to have such things? perhaps the government was the real villain?....on second thought that's most likely going to be the "plot" for #2

but anyway,if they refused to comprise with business/diplomatic negotiations and interstellar war is not a factor then sure. nobody isn't going to really care (except for the whining "ethical people").
Yeah, you've gotta hate those ethical people, always complaining about something - "warlord massacring people in some African nation" or "people are cutting down the rainforests and thousands of species will go extinct!" or "stop punching that baby" or "make cars more efficient to save the planet" and all that bullshit. I'm gonna punch babies, nuke primitives and pull out bambie's eyes if I want to. Right?

One point: the corporation was essentially invading the planet - they had no right to be there, it wasn't theirs. The natives were under NO obligation to do anything asked of them. They don't want roads or human medicines, they have six-legged horses, flying lizards and a planet made of natural remedies and building materials. Humans want their rocks cos they can make more spaceships with them? So what? There was NEVER an excuse to go to war, particularly one of genocide.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
sketch_zeppelin said:
Its nit picking but i never bought the expliantion of what the Batmobile was suppose to be in Batman Begins. It was suppose to leap over a canyon caring a cable so a bridge could be built for troops to cross?

Okay so let me get this straight. we have a vehicle that costs several million dollars and we're going to lauch it off a fucking cliff? Isn't that a bit risky? What if the driver misses? Don't we already have trucks that can create bridges without crossing the gap?

The explination just never sat well with me. Now if you'd said that it was suppose to be a highly mobile armored scout vehicle i'd have bought it.
I know you've already had this responded to a few times, but the impression I got was that it was for rapidly bridging rivers, potentially under fire. A truck's great when you've secured the area, but what if you can't secure it cos there's a firebase over the other side? Get the batmobile to jump across dragging a rope for a pontoon and then blitz over with the armour ^_^

Oh, and it doubles as a highly mobile recon vehicle ;)

gamerguyal

Jun 24, 2010
Littlee300 said:
The point of Avatar was that the humans were the bad guys. I think they made it pretty obvious and made it easy to hate the humans around the time the soldiers started yelling "Get sum!" while slaughtering Na'vi. The general especially was extremely easy to hate, by the end of the film I wanted to punch him in the face.

unicornninja

Aug 4, 2010
In the Dark Knight at the party scene when Joker goes to the party to get Dent and Bruce hides dent. The gets the Batsuit on and joker and his gang to that cool asking were dent is. For the sake of time joker throws "Harvey's main squeeze" out of the window and batman jumps out after her. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THAT AT THE PARTY?!?!? Does joker just leave? Because the movie doesn't say it just cuts to the next scene. So what happens?

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
G.I. Joe... everything.
So the best soldiers on the planet, (with funding from every single country)get's completely owned by 10 people coming into their base. Oh wait, they get owned because the infiltrators have more advanced weaponry despite only having one scientist who's constantly working on mind control (you'd think that it would be more time consuming)...that entire movie was bullsh**.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Sarah Kerrigan said:
How are the survivor in Left 4 Dead Immune? :/
That's not really a plot hole as much as it is just something that they never explain... basically, it's just "Yeah, they're immune. Don't ask questions."

gamerguyal said:
The point of Avatar was that the humans were the bad guys. I think they made it pretty obvious and made it easy to hate the humans around the time the soldiers started yelling "Get sum!" while slaughtering Na'vi. The general especially was extremely easy to hate, by the end of the film I wanted to punch him in the face.
It's people trying to be cool pretending they thought the Na'vi were the bad guys when the humans were so cartoonishly evil that it was obvious they were the bad guys. It gets really old when people say stuff like that...

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
DragonChi said:
LOTR..the Giant Eagle Race could just fly someone with the ring right into Mordor, into mount doom and drop off the ring. completely bypassing hours of unnecessary bother.
My thoughts Exactly. =)