Naming Your Characters.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
In Assassins creed I named the saved game files mugatu and Derelicke. I also name my classes in MW2 things that are comical. Like White Danny Glover and for my cold blooded classes, Hah, Nao U cant C me!

I have fun with it.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Tharwen said:
For quick, childish amusement:

1. Find a Pokémon game.
2. Start up Pokémon game.
3. Create a character, naming it 'IAMGAY'.
4. Play the game, noting the entertaining manner with which NPCs regularly shout 'IAMGAY'.
Hah, Some recent guy over on youtube channel I watch names his characters (its a bit of violent language, you have been warned)
Fat Cumming Cock

It always makes me chuckle

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
Unoriginal said:
I use swears most of the time. It's funny.

"Hello, B%*#$!"
"So A$$*$&%, where are you going?"
"What do you think, D*$&#*%#*?"
Welcome to the fucking Escapist I hope you enjoy your stay.
(They don't censor us here btw. Just moderate yourself and you'll avoid trouble.)

/On topic:
My current playthrough of Pokemon has me named Badassery and my male rival named Sally.
Usually I just stick with different variations of my alter ego but Kuras and T.K. are by far my favorites.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Threx said:
I've used DontTazeMeBro for a long while. Only because I had got an X-box 360 around the time it had happened.
I swear I've seen that exact name on our CoD2 1.0 server...

Ziadaine I came up with on my own while I was writing novels.
Zero (My Steam DN) Is my Clan name I use
Miles is my Admin name on a CoD2 server which sadly Was given to me, but all the other admins still refer to me as Tim.
and Dark Aura was something I thought up... until it was pointed out its used in KH2.

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
Oh god they went to 4chan again!!! Valve people STOP GOING TO 4CHAN!

/edit they banned him nvm
mods scroll up for my relevant post

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
cblrtopas said:
Pandora92 said:
I have mild OCD so I normally HATE coming up with "random" names or anything along those lines, I go crazy over-analysing it and it takes me days to come up with something that should take minutes, that's why I just tend to use some variation of the name "Pandora", I started using it like 5 years ago and I've just stuck with it ever since.

I also always use 92 if I need numbers, it was the number that a friend randomly picked when they made my first hotmail account years ago, and I just grew used to using it, if for whatever reason I can't use 92 then I use 50 because it appeals to my OCD.
OCD this, OCD that; you and your OCD need to get a room.
We have, and it's arranged so that pretty much everything is at 90 degree angles. ;)

Excuse me for sharing something personal though, this thread was talking about what names we choose for game characters and the reasons behind that, I thought I would post my usual choice and then elaborate on the reasons behind it to help contribute to this thread, I guess I was wrong.

Shaegor

Oct 29, 2009
I pretty much just think what names might fit the context, maybe wiki here and there to see the name styles of the game world, and derive something from there.
Or when I'm out of ideas, I do something simple, like get the name from the class + race.
My Tauren Death Knight for example was called Deren. I doubt that anyone would guess where it was derived from.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
w@rew0lf said:

I dislike dumb people. Especially dumb people who ruin perfectly innocuous, lighthearted threads.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but judging from the recent threads, there's a competition between developers? Anyway, too bad the OP can't remove posts.

But seriously? That's a horribly ill-conceived, not-at-all-subtle tactic. They're only hurting Valve's chances.

On a side note, I'm having difficulty keeping myself from exploding into a tirade calling for violence against this guy. It is difficult.

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
J. Reed said:
w@rew0lf said:

I dislike dumb people. Especially dumb people who ruin perfectly innocuous, lighthearted threads.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but judging from the recent threads, there's a competition between developers? Anyway, too bad the OP can't remove posts.

But seriously? That's a horribly ill-conceived, not-at-all-subtle tactic. They're only hurting Valve's chances.

On a side note, I'm having difficulty keeping myself from exploding into a tirade calling for violence against this guy. It is difficult.
The Valve supporters got desperate so they called for help from /v/ and /b/. Again. Last time the trolls didn't leave that thread though. But that still doesn't change the stupidity of doing it.

/On Topic:
Tai is also a name I like using for the characters.

jebus4you

Jul 11, 2009
i may use latin such as my paladin "pugno" which means "to fight"

or the random name button works too

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Usually just make things up, with gamertags, though I usually just add numbers onto existing things.

That or something really juvenile, though thats usually on 2nd playthrough of a game or some small game that wont take too long

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
Pandora92 said:
cblrtopas said:
Pandora92 said:
I have mild OCD so I normally HATE coming up with "random" names or anything along those lines, I go crazy over-analysing it and it takes me days to come up with something that should take minutes, that's why I just tend to use some variation of the name "Pandora", I started using it like 5 years ago and I've just stuck with it ever since.

I also always use 92 if I need numbers, it was the number that a friend randomly picked when they made my first hotmail account years ago, and I just grew used to using it, if for whatever reason I can't use 92 then I use 50 because it appeals to my OCD.
OCD this, OCD that; you and your OCD need to get a room.
We have, and it's arranged so that pretty much everything is at 90 degree angles. ;)

Excuse me for sharing something personal though, this thread was talking about what names we choose for game characters and the reasons behind that, I thought I would post my usual choice and then elaborate on the reasons behind it to help contribute to this thread, I guess I was wrong.
You're not wrong for elaborating. I encourage verbosity wherever possible. Thank you for sharing your reasoning behind the names.

If it makes you feel any better, I count the edges of things. Like, a rectangular window for example. With my eyes, I trace the left edge up, then right, then down, then left. One, two, three, four. If that makes any sense. I do it ALL THE TIME.

It's not as serious as yours, but it's still an annoying compulsion.

ajluczak

Jul 14, 2009
If I know that NPCs will be using my character's name, I'll name him "LOL" or "HA HA HA" so it looks like the NPCs can't stop laughing.

Cracks me up every time I'm told that "LOL, only you can save us!"

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
IdealistCommi said:
When naming a male character is is always "Rex"

That is it for me
My dog in DA:O is named Wrex after the awesomest character in Mass Effect.
Dog-Fable-Lyle: sounds cool for a british evil dog
Main Char Fallout: Pyro
Everyother char: named after me.

Toranilor

Feb 22, 2009
I name all my characters Toran, just a habit I've gotten into. Unless they were designed for a specific purpose, for example I had an oblivion character who just ran fast, jumped high and punched people. His name was Artemis Physt.

Pets in any game are named 'puddles', mostly because it's hillarious to see a pet with such a harmless name ripping things to shreads. Unless the pet IS harmless, in which case they are 'the Destructor'.