New Devil May Cry Set In "Parallel World"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New Devil May Cry Set In "Parallel World"

Ninja Theory wants you to know that the original Dante is still safe and sound because the new Devil May Cry takes place in an alternate reality.

Capcom's upcoming Devil May Cry reboot may have upset a number of fans (<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104584-Devil-May-Cry-Reboot-Designed-to-Provoke-Fans>because it was designed to), but now it looks like Ninja Theory is ready to stop stirring the gamer hornets' nest. The developer has revealed that the game isn't so much a reboot as it is a re-imagining: The new Devil May Cry is taking place in an "parallel world."

According to Siliconera, Japanese publication Dengeki PlayStation has revealed that "The Dante we know and love still exists in our world and the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-vs-Capcom-Worlds-Xbox-360/dp/B003IE9V28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320276963&sr=8-1>Marvel vs. Capcom 3 universe. Ninja Theory suggested this storyline shift, according to the magazine."

Details about what exactly caused this alternate reality haven't been fleshed out yet. Honestly, Ninja Theory waving everything away with the "parallel world" excuse isn't the laziest piece of storytelling out there (that award still goes to the "<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_James_Ewing#Patrick_Duffy_leaves_and_returns>it was all a dream" explanation), but it's still a little disappointing to hear about.

However, now that we're in Alternate Reality Territory, we'd better get to see a bunch of evil versions of characters, <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_Universe_(Star_Trek)#The_Original_Series>sporting goatees. Because that's how parallel worlds work.

Source: Siliconera

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well to be fair, as people who played "Nocturne" can tell you, this wouldn't be the first alternate world we've seen Dante involved in.

That said, as DC comics proved, overdoing this kind of thing creates more messes than it solves and then leads to more fan outcry when things get too complicated and they decide to condense things back down to one universe again for a while.

That said, I don't think Dante is a character they needed to mess around with to this extent to begin with, they just needed better writers and game designers for him, not a complete character reboot.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Oh come on Ninja Theory...I was all up for this, I didn't care about the new design or anything, and now you've gone and said this?

For shame.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
This does make me feel a little better. Makes me think DMC5 isnt completely out of the question once their done messing around with whatever this is supposed to be.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
vansau said:
However, now that we're in Alternate Reality Territory, we'd better get to see a bunch of evil versions of characters, <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_Universe_(Star_Trek)#The_Original_Series>sporting goatees. Because that's how parallel worlds work.
A goatee would have made the new Dante design bearable.
But then he would be indistinguishable from Adam Jensen minus the permanent sunglasses.

OT: Uh... Okay? I guess that works too...

I mean... maybe it takes place in a universe with reasonable cleavage? You know, the kind of cleavage that doesn't require all the female characters to look like they're half-limbo'ing?

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Didn't Team Ninja also do this with a Metroid game? Wasn't it also a hunk of dog poo? Let the records show that my standards are pretty low.

Apr 28, 2008
So, first it was a reboot. Then a prequel. Now an alternate reality?

I wish they'd pick something and stick with it. Because now it's just getting silly.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Awww, I was looking forward to seeing the adventures of Tony Redgrave. I'm actually not as excited for this game now.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Well... now it's confusing... this went from prequel, to reboot to alternate dimension...

I kinda didn't mind with the new design... if he maitained the dark twisted humour and personnality i would still love it. It would be perfect for a prequel has well.

But oh well... i'll just have to see what Ninja Theory has up the sleeves... They've made some pretty good games so far so i know they won't screw up.

Also... prequel.. it would definitly be a good deserving one... And so far the background and asthetics of the game look amazing (watched the latest trailer, but didn't realized with was another dimension...).

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Irridium said:

I wish they'd pick something and stick with it. Because now it's just getting silly.
Indeed. To add to that I wish people on the internet would stop bitching at them for everything they try. They're the only reason this is getting so twisted.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Irridium said:

It's damage control; Antoniades has been acting like such a self-entitled ass that CAPCOM is trying to distance this from the proper series. Plus with NT being lost as to how to make a good game it's pretty clear this is headed for disaster

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Irridium said:
Oh, it's been silly for quite a while now. But I agree, this is all bullshit (love the avatar by the way, Archer is aweswome)

It sounds like Team Ninja were just trying to antagonise the fans at first to try to build up hype, not a bad strategy really, a trifle unnessecary but it was worth a shot. Now they've found out that this isn't nessecarily going to move any units for them so they're trying to wriggle out of it as best they can.

I say let them get on with it. It's funny to watch. Fighting a totalitarian regime in a parallel world with devil powers, sounds like a really boring RIFTs campaign GM'd by a fat woman in a stained 'Team Edward' shirt.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Hahahahah!!! This shit is hilarious.

First you insult your fanbase with that emo-looking Edward-Cullen wannabe, now you don't even have the balls to put the next installment of your acclaimed game series in the same universe.

What's wrong Capcom? No confidence in your franchise? Afraid of fan backlash? Or have you honestly run out of design space after four games?

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Whether they changed it into an alternate universe because of the nerd rage or whether they just intended to use the name DMC and Dante from the beginning to make the game sell better doesn't really matter to me now, it's just a cheap move.
Sigh, at least the real Dante seems to be save... I hope.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
This doesn't change my opinion of the game, my problem with it has never been that as a reboot it removes the old continuity and as such this is an announcement I have never needed (though that is just me, others may disagree). I just don't like the design of Dante in the new game, the fact that they seem to be going the Star Trek route doesn't make the design any more appealing.