New Elder Scrolls Online Screens Emerge

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Both KotORs always felt quite noticeably different to me. TOR far less so. Yeah, they had the Sith Empire versus a Republic, but there was a greater mythology around that - stuff like the Mandalorian Wars - which differentiated it greatly.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I'm still confused as to why they thought this is a good idea, and I really don't think they understand the MMO space like they think they do.

I'm utterly underwhelmed by these screen shorts, yeah they look pretty, but it just looks...dead to me. There's nothing in them that show how lively the game will be or even the 'character' of the game.
There was an interview from one of the lead devs who said that nothing could be innovated within the genre anymore. Quote is in the first question:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/25/eve-online-devs-on-dayz-elder-scrolls-online-and-whatd-make-them-quit-the-games-industry/

So that's inspiring.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
There is too much Daystar in this thread. MY HEAD IS SPINNING

OT: Hmm seems like they're going for that gritty but cartoonish look? I'll probably try it out once it's out as I've been looking for a new MMO that's not GW2 or WoW

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Woodsey said:
Both KotORs always felt quite noticeably different to me. TOR far less so. Yeah, they had the Sith Empire versus a Republic, but there was a greater mythology around that - stuff like the Mandalorian Wars - which differentiated it greatly.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I'm still confused as to why they thought this is a good idea, and I really don't think they understand the MMO space like they think they do.

I'm utterly underwhelmed by these screen shorts, yeah they look pretty, but it just looks...dead to me. There's nothing in them that show how lively the game will be or even the 'character' of the game.
There was an interview from one of the lead devs who said that nothing could be innovated within the genre anymore. Quote is in the first question:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/25/eve-online-devs-on-dayz-elder-scrolls-online-and-whatd-make-them-quit-the-games-industry/

So that's inspiring.
Even though it sounds like every interview I've read about innovation.

Having said that, I hope they can pull it off since I'm assuming they're putting in a ridiculous amount of resources into the game. Maybe I just don't see why it has to be an MMO, but how knows? Maybe I'll be wrong and it will what the genre needs, but for now I just don't see it.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
meh, said it before, say it again, the instant it was made clear combat is going to be the same, boring select, auto-attack combat system that this genre seamed cursed with, it lost any semblance of being Elder Scrolls.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
That had to happen. Oblivion had been a step backwards turning into a mediocre game. Skyrim totally fall into the bottomless put of crapiness so the next move could be nothing else than worse than worse... and it is. It's a astonishing you can trash and destroy the TES franchise more than they did with Skyrim and Oblivion but that really is even worse than Skyrim. They should have finished off TES after Oblivion to spare us from watching a good franchise turn into a pool of poo. I don't know what's the bigger pity, how they destroyed TES with Skyrim and this MMO or the Bethesthards not standing up for their franchise and boycotting crappy sequels as a true fan should do. So I'm afraid there will be enough Bethesthards to drag this crap MMO along. ¬.=.¬

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
oh jeez... please tell me that isn't what the Argonians look like. My god they look horrid. I'm just saying I'd never touch one if I picked up the game, and I love Argonians in the other Elder Scrolls. Way to really design something unappealing.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
looks like skyrim with a bit of Kingdoms of Amalur.

looking forward to more info.

LordNerevar

Feb 24, 2012
DugMachine said:

OT: Hmm seems like they're going for that gritty but cartoonish look? I'll probably try it out once it's out as I've been looking for a new MMO that's not GW2 or WoW
ever tried EVE?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
LordNerevar said:
DugMachine said:

ever tried EVE?
Let me correct myself haha. I want that style with the swords and magic. So like WoW and GW2 but.. not GW2 and WoW if that makes sense?

EVE is spaceships and what not amirite?

Akexi

May 15, 2008
I just really don't get the feel of a TES game from these screens. I know the game is being developed by Zenimax and not Bethesda and all, but it really shouldn't be all that hard to try.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Game mechanics is what I care about. Aion have tried making things pretty and failed. Rift tried mixing talent trees and still exists.
TESO will have to pull a Guild Wars 2 to have a chance at doing well. I.E. be better than WoW in many different ways.

In a way, Guild Wars 2 is the new bench mark. So surpass GW2.

TESO isn't helped by the fans of the series not being MMO players.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
scw55 said:
TESO isn't helped by the fans of the series not being MMO players.
The Warcraft Franchise wasn't an MMO series either, unless you count tower defense and Starcraft with orcs.

I see some potential in this, since the biggest problem that I had with Guild Wars 2 was the lack of some sort of narrative or interesting lore. None of these millions events were remotely interesting on a story side of things.

And story is what keeps people playing your MMO. It can even be a silly story like that of WoW, but it works. Ever since SWTOR MMOs have tried using so called story missions to tell their narratives. This is folly, in my opionion, since story and gameplay should not be kept in seperate areas of the game (Hello Guild Wars 2!) but instead should be a union.

WoW might be pretty dry on ideas by now, but you can still tell what each area's story and theme are. I dare you to do the same for Guild Wars 2.

A compelling setting, like that of TES, can very well carry a MMO.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
There's admittedly not much to see here and if it wasn't for the presence of the Ordinator, the Centurion Sphere and the guy in the Nord helmet, they'd be entirely indistinguishable from just about every other generic fantasy MMO/RPG on the market.
That's because Elder Scrolls is generic fantasy, just like Halo is generic SciFi and CoD is generic FPS. It's the IP, the logo, that matters. Like t-shirts: T-shirt are identical in structure & functionality, all that matters is what is printed on them.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
I'm actually pretty optimistic about this game. From what I can see from screenshots, it keeps pretty close to the aesthetic of other Elder Scroll titles. I never cared much whether Skyrim was "gritty" or not, I'd rather the designers favor an art style that's compatible with the engine rather than throw in fake-looking "gritty" effects like the blood from the Dragon Age games.

I'm hoping that the game keeps with the lore and general gameplay of previous TES titles, and with established canon. I'm personally hoping that the game will allow first-person perspective, and maintain the dual-wielding system from Skyrim (linking left and right hands to specific spells or items). A good first-person MMO that's not an FPS would be wonderful.

Even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for, I'l still check it out. The Elder Scrolls is a lot more than just "Generic Fantasy Setting", there's a wealth of information about the world, and numerous defining qualities. The titular Elder Scrolls are a really cool concept, and there's a lot of thought put into the mythos.

I think people should give Elder Scrolls Online the benefit of the doubt, at least until it comes out. I think it'll distinguish itself in the MMO genre.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
Looks like another MMORPG. That's cool. Anyways, I'll be playing skyrim and it's DLC until a true successor comes out to Skyrim. Hope this doesn't hurt Bathesda.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
Well, at least you can tell that its Elder Scrolls. The first batch of screenshots were utterly generic. However, I can't help but feel that this might be another TOR situation where you have a game that would have been perfectly fine not being an MMO.