New Elder Scrolls Online Screens Emerge

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
I'm not sure I can say anything about this until I see the UI. Screen shots are nice but it's the mode of gameplay that will make or break this game for me, not the art style. A UI provides vital clues into that mystery.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
So I heard it's going to have a skill bar and basic mechanics like classic MMOs?
Because that doesn't sound like an Elder Scrolls game to me.

Just saying, mechanics don't make an MMO, Multiplayer does. Just Look at Dark Souls.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Can't say I'm a big man of the slightly cartoonish style, but I do like the variety in the landscapes presented. It'd be cool if this was set across the entirety of Tamriel.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
To be fair, The Elder Scrolls does bounce around the centuries quite a bit already. Skyrim is centuries after the events of Oblivion and there is barely any mention of your actions in Oblivion in Skyrim, the only one I can remember is when you summon Lucien LeChances ghost and he mentions "someone" he knew when he still lived.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
What a waste of millions of dollars that could be spent making good video games

Too bad they the greedy bastards want a game with a continuous payment system and cash shops

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Kinguendo said:
To be fair, The Elder Scrolls does bounce around the centuries quite a bit already. Skyrim is centuries after the events of Oblivion and there is barely any mention of your actions in Oblivion in Skyrim, the only one I can remember is when you summon Lucien LeChances ghost and he mentions "someone" he knew when he still lived.
True, but would it really make sense for characters to keep refering to something which happened before most of them were born? I don't wander around saying to friends, "Hey, remember when Cyrus, ruler of Persia in 550BCE, was killed fighting the Massagetae tribe beyond the river Oxus?" Nobody gives a shit about that.
I guess in the same way that the Skyrim characters wouldn't give a shit about some crap which happened 200 years before they were born.

It is, however, mentioned in quite a few ingame books.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Li Mu said:
Kinguendo said:
True, but would it really make sense for characters to keep refering to something which happened before most of them were born? I don't wander around saying to friends, "Hey, remember when Cyrus, ruler of Persia in 550BCE, was killed fighting the Massagetae tribe beyond the river Oxus?" Nobody gives a shit about that.
I guess in the same way that the Skyrim characters wouldn't give a shit about some crap which happened 200 years before they were born.

It is, however, mentioned in quite a few ingame books.
I wouldnt expect all of them to talk about it... but scholars? Quest givers? Given the dragon situation and the events at the end of Oblivion it seems somewhat apt to mention it.

Also, Tamriel is incredibly isolated. There are many other continents with intelligent life on them and Tamriel does NOT engage with them at all, their entire world news is about their own continent and the Oblivion event was the most significant event to happen to them in a looooong time and is the reason for the tensions that caused the Civil War in Skyrim... it is not some random trivia, its relevent yet it doesnt get a mention. Ignorance of information is alive and well in the people of Skyrim... there is no reason to suspect that the people would be more enlightened if you went even further back in their history.

LordNerevar

Feb 24, 2012
yes EVE is like if a Space Sim and MMO had a kid :)

Also yeah I would kill for a fantasy MMO that brought something new to the table and wasn't WoW or GW. From what I have seen GW2 does mix things up a bit, but it will be a while before we some true innovation in the genre.

LordNerevar

Feb 24, 2012
DugMachine said:
LordNerevar said:
DugMachine said:
There is too much Daystar in this thread. MY HEAD IS SPINNING

OT: Hmm seems like they're going for that gritty but cartoonish look? I'll probably try it out once it's out as I've been looking for a new MMO that's not GW2 or WoW
ever tried EVE?
Let me correct myself haha. I want that style with the swords and magic. So like WoW and GW2 but.. not GW2 and WoW if that makes sense?

EVE is spaceships and what not amirite?
yes EVE is like if a Space Sim and MMO had a kid :) It differentiates itself from other MMO's through use of unique game mechanics as well as the most player freedom in the genre and perhaps in all of gaming itself.

Also yeah I would kill for a fantasy MMO that brought something new to the table and wasn't WoW or GW. From what I have seen GW2 does mix things up a bit, but it will be a while before we see some true innovation in the genre.

EDIT: I accidentally posted the above post without quoting and i don't know how to remove it. lol

LongMuckDong

Aug 23, 2011
My main question is how does the combat hold up compared to GW2... I get *bad* shivvers when they describe the combat as 'very Elder Scrolls like' as the combat in the Elder Scrolls has always been it's weakest point, even in Skyrim.

GW2's dodge/fast pace aoe-ranged targeting/tactical combos are great.. if ESO can at least match GW2 in the combat (or even a tiny bit worse, since it's Elder Scrolls after all..) I'll buy it day one.

Now, if they pull a buy AND sub release.. then it will be a wait and see how it pans out perhaps.. it would make more sense for them to drop a Buy and Cash Shop like Anet's style IMO.. the inertia going back to paying a sub would be too much for me for sure.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Sounds like someone woke up on the smarmy side of the bed this morning.

This is one of the ::checks list:: six MMORPGs I'm looking forward to next year. Since I play almost nothing but RPGs, I'm not as hard to please. My primary concern is whether or not it has a story to it & whether or not there will be giant mushrooms.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Oh god, someone please tell me that Skyrim does not use the same third person camera angle as Fallout NV and this game
So bloody unintuitive
At least in the witcher i could switch sides when i got bored

I see now that it does look squishier than normal beth games, rather small difference
Disssturbing, seeing how games got all unnaturally blurry and soft looking around -04
Reminds me of that CGI monster movement thing movies do where they move disturbingly smoothly

Water and lava looks great, not the flames coming out of that fat daedroth though

What is that skeleton robot thing supposed to be? wtf

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Well I'm impressed. The screenshots look quite lovely. I agree with the poster who said gameplay mechanics are more important though, and that guild wars 2 has set the bar. They need to somehow surpass or at least equal GW2 in terms of intuitive design.