New Modern Warfare 3 Screens Bring the Grey

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
I really love how you can only barely tell the difference between these shots and the same shots put through a greyscale filter.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
One Hit Noob said:
Jegsimmons said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Jegsimmons said:
so new york has NO cars, signs, big ass street sign, chalk on the side walks, not even shrubs out in front of the building?

and if not...WHY ARE THE SOLDIERS SO FUCKING GREY!!! THE MILITARY DOESNT WEAR GREY!!! THEY WERE GREEN AND TAN!!! ive been to new york and even the building had more colors than grey and their was a BLUE SKY!!
hell, even grey with realistic lighting has beauty...this is DULL!!!

[/img]
Do you notice something abotu that picture you posted?

All the colour comes from electrically-powered billboard signs. The buildings are grey, the roads are grey, the pavements are grey. The only thing that add colour are the sky, the civilians and the electric billboards.

Now, here's the funny thing about war. When an area becomes a warzone, several things happen:

- the civilians all get evacuated.

-all the power for those pretty billboards gets diverted or shut off.

If you were to take a picture of Time Square during the middle of a conflict, you'd find that all that pretty colour you're going on would have disappeared, and been replaced with dust, rubble and craters.
it wouls still have FUCK TON more color than what the screen shots had! i mean LOOK AT THE ACTUAL GREY! it has colored tints of blue and what not not! the different lighting actually makes it more vivid, even if it is grey and lacks power it doesn't mean it had no color! hell they still have posters, signs, shrubs, cars, the sky, central park,and ANYTHING ELSE!!!

ive been in the middle of a town during a wide spread power outage (i live in huntsville and the tornados we had back in the spring took out power for a week) and even the buildings didnt look like shit grey. they didn't make the national gaurd look grey, the cars didnt look grey, in fact....where is the more tannish tint given by the sun? is every major battle in COD suffering from cloud cover?
I borrowed a picture of 9/11 because that is the closest to what makes it seem war torn compared to Modern Warfare 3.

Oh yeah, mind talking in a more polite tone?
well no i wont speak in a more polite tone.(because i'm typing.)
also, using 9/11 as a point in your argument? nice bro...reeeeeal nice.
but even then lets look at this, those were the two tallest building on earth going down. Yes it creates dust, but why would any one shoot a sky scraper that size down in war? yeah it might happen but most militarilys will avoid that type of collateral damage because its a hazard to their own troops as well and wont honestly accomplish anything.
and even then, thats only ONE spot. that only represents a war zone if building of that size went down in the middle of one.

Calvar Draveir

Feb 10, 2010
They're not even good graphics any more. They're the same graphics as modern warfare 2.

I'll take Assassin's Creed Revelations to satisfy my single and multiplayer needs, thank you very much. : )

Calvar Draveir

Feb 10, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
One Hit Noob said:
Jegsimmons said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Jegsimmons said:
so new york has NO cars, signs, big ass street sign, chalk on the side walks, not even shrubs out in front of the building?

and if not...WHY ARE THE SOLDIERS SO FUCKING GREY!!! THE MILITARY DOESNT WEAR GREY!!! THEY WERE GREEN AND TAN!!! ive been to new york and even the building had more colors than grey and their was a BLUE SKY!!

[/img]

All the colour comes from electrically-powered billboard signs. The buildings are grey, the roads are grey, the pavements are grey. The only thing that add colour are the sky, the civilians and the electric billboards.

Now, here's the funny thing about war. When an area becomes a warzone, several things happen:

If you were to take a picture of Time Square during the middle of a conflict, you'd find that all that pretty colour you're going on would have disappeared, and been replaced with dust, rubble and craters.
it wouls still have FUCK TON more color than what the screen shots had! i mean LOOK AT THE ACTUAL GREY! it has colored tints of blue and what not not! the different lighting actually makes it more vivid, even if it is grey and lacks power it doesn't mean it had no color! hell they still have posters, signs, shrubs, cars, the sky, central park,and ANYTHING ELSE!!!

ive been in the middle of a town during a wide spread power outage (i live in huntsville and the tornados we had back in the spring took out power for a week) and even the buildings didnt look like shit grey. they didn't make the national gaurd look grey, the cars didnt look grey, in fact....where is the more tannish tint given by the sun? is every major battle in COD suffering from cloud cover?
I borrowed a picture of 9/11 because that is the closest to what makes it seem war torn compared to Modern Warfare 3.

but even then lets look at this, those were the two tallest building on earth going down. Yes it creates dust, but why would any one shoot a sky scraper that size down in war? yeah it might happen but most militarilys will avoid that type of collateral damage because its a hazard to their own troops as well and wont honestly accomplish anything.
and even then, thats only ONE spot. that only represents a war zone if building of that size went down in the middle of one.
But dude, what we're talking about in MW3 is huge amounts of explosives and buildings going down non-stop for an extended period of time! It's understandable that things would look worse.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
afgan opium fields...you know...one of the dirtiest and more shit colored countries with thousands of years of war GROWS FIELDS OF FLOWERS!!!

check and mate!!!!

i would LOVE to play a game where you had to slowly cross a field of these exchangeing fire with enemy forces. like in the movie the thin red line.

Your argument is rather diluted by the presence of Poppy fields in Modern Warfare 2.

Grond Strong

Mar 16, 2011
Uh, guys. A city that has been decimated by bombs and gunfire IS very grey-looking. To be honest, I would be disappointed if it wasn't grey. I could see if they were fighting in Candy Land and everything was dull-colored. THAT might be a tad contradictory. But this, this is fine with me.

And let's not forget people that these are screen shots from a few seconds of campaign, not what the ENTIRE game looks like. Besides, most of you CoD fans don't even know what a campaign is anyways. Lol.

I got both Battlefield and CoD. Two very different types of games. Two different types of fun. So stop hating, it's bad.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Calvar Draveir said:
Jegsimmons said:
One Hit Noob said:
Jegsimmons said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Jegsimmons said:

[/img]

But dude, what we're talking about in MW3 is huge amounts of explosives and buildings going down non-stop for an extended period of time! It's understandable that things would look worse.
which would call bullshit on because no military would honestly try and take down monstrous buildings which would defeat the purpose of capturing a city.
and even then those in game pics showed NOTHING like that. after all the twin tower dust isnt brown.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Jegsimmons said:
afgan opium fields...you know...one of the dirtiest and more shit colored countries with thousands of years of war GROWS FIELDS OF FLOWERS!!!

check and mate!!!!

i would LOVE to play a game where you had to slowly cross a field of these exchangeing fire with enemy forces. like in the movie the thin red line.

Your argument is rather diluted by the presence of Poppy fields in Modern Warfare 2.
oh you mean that whole 20 square meters of plants in that one multiplayer level?

not convinced, and even then the colors looked washed out and crappy! how do you screw up primary colors!

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Looks pretty colourful to me.

while ill admit these are ALOT more coloful than the previous screens, lets analyse this real quick. in the first picture i count about 3 small spots with a vivid color, the rest still has a tan/brown and gray color over it, and yes while in this part of the world its fairly dull colo wise, it still looks like someone put a filter over the camera.

the second i found alot easier on the eyes because they went with a BLUE-GRAY filter instead.
Its still not very fullfilling for the eyes (in my opnion) but its significantly better.Even if all the color is basically a neon glow like a joel schumacher film.

also, is anyone else fucking sick and tired of war games in the desert?!
How about the damn jungle or a small town in a temperate climate?!

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
One Hit Noob said:
Furioso said:
One Hit Noob said:
Furioso said:
GundamSentinel said:
It's nice to see that we like to judge a game by three screenshots taken in the same area of the game...

Here in the city where I am, when I look out the window, do you know what I see? Grey.
Yea but these are the pictures they chose to show us, and since there isn't any evidence of color in the game, this is the only evidence of the games color scheme we have to go on, even the banners on the building are a glorious grey
It takes me only one bloody minute to find screenshots. Tell me, is this gray buddy?
Oh my god, some yellow screens next to grey/dark everything else, alert the media...
You know what? You are as stubborn as a bloody mule. I quit arguing. I can no longer tolerate such immaturity.
Immaturity? I fail to see how arguing a valid point makes me immature

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
The grey, it burns!!!
I mean it dulls!!!
I'm not sure what it's doing, but i don't like it!
:p

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
This is why im buying saints row 3 and arkham city when they come out, i know they will at least be trying some new stuff.
Or at least not look like most of its own series and most games of a similar genre...

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Jegsimmons said:

(waits for someone to complain that the tree roots and mud are brown)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Jegsimmons said:

well actually i was going to complain about the washed out green...but what ever.(also those roots look more grey than brown...te-he)and is that black Ops? How about a GOOD game that doesnt make me want to stab my ears?
but HEY!!! an actual skin tone!....wow, thats rare in these games.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
MiracleOfSound said:
Jegsimmons said:

It's way too brown, it needs to be a lighter shade of brown.

OT: It's grey. Remarkably so.

Which is what I'd expect from a FPS based in a world that's gone to shit. I'd be pretty surprised and very confused if I was playing a FPS based in a war-torn world and rounded a corner to find something like this [http://www.boostmy.com/raremusic/aRXpics/Viva_Pinata_Roundtable_Image_2.jpg] awaiting me.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
is that black Ops? How about a GOOD game that doesnt make me want to stab my ears?
Ladies and gentleman... an example of why arguing on the internet is utterly pointless.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I can't help feeling that the problem isn't so much that it's grey but that the lighting is flat and dull. Crysis 2 also takes place in a broken New York. Crysis 2 has a ton of flaws and it's not a good game, but it's not dull to look at.

MW3 looks flat and lifeless compared to that. Not bad, perhaps, but dead.

I hesitate to bring the BF3 beta into it, but that game really shows what lighting can do as well. Paris really stands out in that damn map we're forced to play.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I wish it came out Nov 12 so I could hide behind my Skyrim jewel case in my better than COD game fort. My Xbox will remain offline!