New Modern Warfare 3 Screens Bring the Grey

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
arc1991 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Robert Ewing said:
Am I the only one that doesn't actually mind? So what if it looks like... y'know... an actual battlefield.

War zones aren't filled with flamboyant coloring and high contrast filters. They're depressing, dank, grizzly, frightening places to be. Which is why you don't have tactical combat situations in the flowery mushroom kingdom.

The grey graphics do wonders for setting the tone. /care if it looks to depressing or whatever the reason for you, it's SUPPOSED to look like this.

um.....yes......they do!!! their is a shit ton of color in war zones!

while yes the wars in the middle east are more grey yellow and brownish, their is also...fucking SKY COLORS!! the colors of building and civilians with clothes and robes. not to mention the oh so pretty explosions and fire.

also, i'm sure the pacific front and vietnam had a shit load of green!

Enough "Green" for you?

Seriously stop whining, if you don't like it then don't follow it and stop bashing everything the fans of this game say.
.............uuuummm............No.

Now i'm going to ***** just out of spite.
and yes kudzu and vines are pretty plants to look at /sarcasm
but hey, they actually kept the sky blue in this scene, i half expected thick cloud cover.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Jegsimmons said:
arc1991 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Robert Ewing said:
Am I the only one that doesn't actually mind? So what if it looks like... y'know... an actual battlefield.

War zones aren't filled with flamboyant coloring and high contrast filters. They're depressing, dank, grizzly, frightening places to be. Which is why you don't have tactical combat situations in the flowery mushroom kingdom.

The grey graphics do wonders for setting the tone. /care if it looks to depressing or whatever the reason for you, it's SUPPOSED to look like this.

while yes the wars in the middle east are more grey yellow and brownish, their is also...fucking SKY COLORS!! the colors of building and civilians with clothes and robes. not to mention the oh so pretty explosions and fire.

Enough "Green" for you?

Seriously stop whining, if you don't like it then don't follow it and stop bashing everything the fans of this game say.

but hey, they actually kept the sky blue in this scene, i half expected thick cloud cover.
You try growing tulips and daisy's in the middle of a warzone... -.-

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
At least it doesn't look interesting, otherwise it might be disappointing when it turns out to be crappy.

Daystar Clarion said:
All the colours of the greynbow!
By the way, I love this line. That should be the tagline on the back of the MW3 box.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
I find it frustrating that I have been playing the Battlefield 3 Beta and I BELIEVE IT MORE because it has a color palette that contains something other than grey.

I find having color in a battlefield is actually more believable, why is it that every battlefield is grey, and has full cloud cover? Why is it that whenever you play on these battlefields you never SEE them get turned into their greybrown form?

I will only be getting Battlefield 3, because it's gorgeous, and I love the multi, but they haven't been able to sell me at all on MW3.

Oh, and the graphics looks like garbage, extremely noticeable flat edges everywhere, a lack of destructible environments and all that...

Also! why is it that everyone says pc's are lightyears ahead? They aren't, because they are following the same trend as the consoles, yeah they are capable of more, but the games themselves aren't more evolved.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
arc1991 said:
Jegsimmons said:
arc1991 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Robert Ewing said:

Enough "Green" for you?

You try growing tulips and daisy's in the middle of a warzone... -.-

afgan opium fields...you know...one of the dirtiest and more shit colored countries with thousands of years of war GROWS FIELDS OF FLOWERS!!!

check and mate!!!!

i would LOVE to play a game where you had to slowly cross a field of these exchangeing fire with enemy forces. like in the movie the thin red line.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
FallenTraveler said:
I find it frustrating that I have been playing the Battlefield 3 Beta and I BELIEVE IT MORE because it has a color palette that contains something other than grey.

I find having color in a battlefield is actually more believable, why is it that every battlefield is grey, and has full cloud cover? Why is it that whenever you play on these battlefields you never SEE them get turned into their greybrown form?

I will only be getting Battlefield 3, because it's gorgeous, and I love the multi, but they haven't been able to sell me at all on MW3.

Oh, and the graphics looks like garbage, extremely noticeable flat edges everywhere, a lack of destructible environments and all that...

Also! why is it that everyone says pc's are lightyears ahead? They aren't, because they are following the same trend as the consoles, yeah they are capable of more, but the games themselves aren't more evolved.
Well said!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Jegsimmons said:
arc1991 said:
Jegsimmons said:
arc1991 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Robert Ewing said:

Enough "Green" for you?

afgan opium fields...you know...one of the dirtiest and more shit colored countries with thousands of years of war GROWS FIELDS OF FLOWERS!!!

check and mate!!!!

i would LOVE to play a game where you had to slowly cross a field of these exchangeing fire with enemy forces. like in the movie the thin red line.
Fire a few Rockets, Bullets, and Missiles, and that beautiful field will look a tad browner...

Yes going through a field of them would probably be good in a game, but it won't happen, if you complain about this game, then your complaining about pretty much every other shooter out there.

lets wait till this game is released...yes?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
arc1991 said:
Jegsimmons said:
arc1991 said:
Jegsimmons said:
arc1991 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Robert Ewing said:

Enough "Green" for you?

check and mate!!!!

Fire a few Rockets, Bullets, and Missiles, and that beautiful field will look a tad browner...

Yes going through a field of them would probably be good in a game, but it won't happen, if you complain about this game, then your complaining about pretty much every other shooter out there.

lets wait till this game is released...yes?
1. if i can see the change, then fine! like the guy above said, its more powerful to SEE it change than to see it already changed!
2. it wouldn't annilate the whole damn field, not all battle fields have motors and explosives.
3. Halo, valve games, crysis, the first TWO call of duties, tom clancy games, battlefield seires, ect all have a wide color pallet and are WAY more entertaining than modern warfare2 pt.2
4. i'm not waiting for it to come out, i'll be playing BF3 and a fuck ton of other BETTER games.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Jegsimmons said:

check and mate!!!!

Of course, the fact that Afghanistan is the opium capital of the world, whose biggest export is poppies and opium, wouldn't have anything to do with just how full of flowers it is.

Whereas New York, being a large urban city, of course should not be portrayed as being made of concrete and tarmac. No, that's terrible. Infinity Ward should have filled New York with poppies and tulips, because that's what it's like in the opium capital of the world.
so new york has NO cars, signs, big ass street sign, chalk on the side walks, not even shrubs out in front of the building?

and if not...WHY ARE THE SOLDIERS SO FUCKING GREY!!! THE MILITARY DOESNT WEAR GREY!!! THEY WERE GREEN AND TAN!!! ive been to new york and even the building had more colors than grey and their was a BLUE SKY!!
hell, even grey with realistic lighting has beauty...this is DULL!!!

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Jegsimmons said:
so new york has NO cars, signs, big ass street sign, chalk on the side walks, not even shrubs out in front of the building?

and if not...WHY ARE THE SOLDIERS SO FUCKING GREY!!! THE MILITARY DOESNT WEAR GREY!!! THEY WERE GREEN AND TAN!!! ive been to new york and even the building had more colors than grey and their was a BLUE SKY!!
hell, even grey with realistic lighting has beauty...this is DULL!!!

[/img]
Do you notice something abotu that picture you posted?

All the colour comes from electrically-powered billboard signs. The buildings are grey, the roads are grey, the pavements are grey. The only thing that add colour are the sky, the civilians and the electric billboards.

Now, here's the funny thing about war. When an area becomes a warzone, several things happen:

- the civilians all get evacuated.

-all the power for those pretty billboards gets diverted or shut off.

If you were to take a picture of Time Square during the middle of a conflict, you'd find that all that pretty colour you're going on would have disappeared, and been replaced with dust, rubble and craters.
it wouls still have FUCK TON more color than what the screen shots had! i mean LOOK AT THE ACTUAL GREY! it has colored tints of blue and what not not! the different lighting actually makes it more vivid, even if it is grey and lacks power it doesn't mean it had no color! hell they still have posters, signs, shrubs, cars, the sky, central park,and ANYTHING ELSE!!!

ive been in the middle of a town during a wide spread power outage (i live in huntsville and the tornados we had back in the spring took out power for a week) and even the buildings didnt look like shit grey. they didn't make the national gaurd look grey, the cars didnt look grey, in fact....where is the more tannish tint given by the sun? is every major battle in COD suffering from cloud cover?

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
remnant_phoenix said:
GundamSentinel said:
It's nice to see that we like to judge a game by three screenshots taken in the same area of the game...

Here in the city where I am, when I look out the window, do you know what I see? Grey.
And that's boring to look at, isn't it?

With all that that video games are capable of, you'd think that we'd try to make games interesting first. Interesting to play, interesting story-wise, and, in this case, interesting to look at.

But no, the millions and millions that Activision has made tells the game industry that what gamers want are grey and brown realistic settings, recycled Michael Bay stories, and two-weapon limit/grenades/iron-sighting/regenerating health.

Games that are vibrant and varied in color get called "kiddie." Seriously, I've met a good number of CoD fans who call Halo a "kiddie" game because it's sci-fi, has lots of color, and doesn't strive for realism in its presentation style.

I'll be glad when the fixation on realistic settings goes down a bit and the best-selling games are those that I can look at and see something more vibrant and interesting than the grey and brown that I see when I stare a section of building downtown.
Don't get me wrong, I too am a fan of games that do a little more than paste brown and grey on my screen. I mean, I love games like Okami, Mirror's Edge and Katamari. And even if I am no fan of the franchise, I have always admired the Halo aesthetics. And yes, I will continue to hope that more gamers come to share my love for vibrant games.

All I'm saying is:
A self proclaimed realistic shooter that takes place in a bombed out NYC is supposed to be grey.
And:
Being grey will not necessarily make it a worse game than a game with a broader colour palette.
And:
That yelling "that's it, I'm not buying this!" because of three screenshots is a bit stupid.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
It doesn't look that bad... What did you expect? They can't really just go colour all the buildings rainbow with nyan cat pictures all over them. That sounds like a pretty good game setting actually.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
GundamSentinel said:
All I'm saying is:
A self proclaimed realistic shooter that takes place in a bombed out NYC is supposed to be grey.
And:
Being grey will not necessarily make it a worse game than a game with a broader colour palette.
And:
That yelling "that's it, I'm not buying this!" because of three screenshots is a bit stupid.
In regard to "all you're saying":
-This is true.

And:
-That is also true.

And:
-I agree, it is stupid.

I didn't take issue against what you posted, I was just using your post as springboard to talk about something I do take issue with: the gaming industry's obsession with realistic browns and greys. I look forward to the day when we get past it.