News Flash: Sitting on Your Ass All Day Isn't Healthy

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
According to this study I should be dead. Maybe I'm undead. This study doesn't seem very accurate. How do thy know that people who spend 4 hours in front of TV or PC are 50% more likely to die of any cause? Did 50% of their test subjects die? I don't think so.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
veloper said:
lvl9000_woot said:
veloper said:
WrongSprite said:
People can spend less than 2 hours in front of a computer a day?

Christ on a bike.
Also this.
The good thing is: if you got a desk job, whatever else you don't do, won't matter anymore apparently.
Damnit.

I work a desk job. 8 hours in front of a computer.

Guess I better buy one of these:

------------
Lol. My captcha was Toyota Care and I drive one and had a flat tire today. IRONY!
Nope. Still sitting.
Needs a bed and a low table to live longer.
well then a good thing I lay down when doing anything involving the internet

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
Well that sucks, especially since Im required by law to sit in school for six hours a day doing NOTHING, and then I spend a lot of free time gaming.... Guess I should start gaming standing up

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Pararaptor said:
Greg Tito said:
And those that spent 4 or more hours were 50 percent more likely to die of any cause.
150% probability of death? Urk!
Glad I wasn't the only one that caught the idiocy of that.

Everyone dies, how can I be 50% more likely to die?

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
ImprovizoR said:
According to this study I should be dead. Maybe I'm undead. This study doesn't seem very accurate. How do thy know that people who spend 4 hours in front of TV or PC are 50% more likely to die of any cause? Did 50% of their test subjects die? I don't think so.
Ignorance at it's best.

It's called statistics, and they can show significant correlation between a number of variables, such as sitting in front of a screen.
They can easily check obituaries, and then survey the deceased's kin about how many hours said person spent in front of a screen on average.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
There's probably other factors. Like why does it matter if you're sitting on your arse staring at a screen? What about sitting on your arse reading a book? If you like reading, you're gonna do a lot of that, and you're gonna be sitting down.
Basically, everyone dies, fuck it and live how you want. I exercise, but that doesn't mean I won't be hit by a car or get stabbed and die prematurely before heart disease gets me.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i'm glad i'm not the only person that picked on the 'Scottish' part. they aren't the best people to use for health studies

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure everyone already knew sitting around all day isn't the healthiest thing to do.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Wait, so are they saying if I stop sitting in front of monitors and TVs all day, there is a chance I will live forever? Otherwise, there is already a 100% chance I will die of any cause, and their silly little study (that is only accurate to their sample group anyway) isn't telling me anything new.

Also, I just wanted to say to these people telling us this like it's supposed to be new: No shit. Have you just emerged from under your rocks or something?

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
Well looks like I'll be dead from something then sooner rather than later then consider I spend about 10+ hours in front of a computer. I work out every other day but most of my time involves me in my computer chair.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
and i guess they didnt factor in these gentlemens' eating habits, or other habits either. just their computer habits...

i dont buy into this

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
fundayz said:
ImprovizoR said:
Ignorance at it's best.

It's called statistics, and they can show significant correlation between a number of variables, such as sitting in front of a screen.
They can easily check obituaries, and then survey the deceased's kin about how many hours said person spent in front of a screen on average.
Statistic is the mother of all lies. No one in their right mind takes statistic research seriously.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I guess people don't like to read the articles. The original from the NYT is interesting. First, they focused mostly on TV watching and in the men's free time (not taking work into account).

Second, the news here is that if you spend a lot of time in front of the TV you are at bigger risk even if you exercise regularly.

It didn't matter whether the men were physically active for several hours a week ? exercise didn?t mitigate the risk associated with the high amount of sedentary screen time.
Other activities were considered:

And the light activities adults filled their time with, like reading and playing board games, actually burned more calories than watching TV.
And the part about being 50% more likely to die is detailed:

During the study?s follow-up period, from 2003 to 2007, 325 men died of various causes, and 215 suffered a heart attack or other cardiac event. Even after adjusting for differences in weight, smoking, occupational physical activity and risk factors like diabetes, high blood pressure and other longstanding illnesses, as well as marital status and social class, those who spent four hours or more of their leisure time in front of a screen each day were 50 percent more likely to have died. Those who spent two hours a day in front of a screen for entertainment were 2.2 times more likely to have had a cardiovascular event.
I don't know if the studies related in the NYT piece (there were more than one) are reliable, but good studies do compensate for other factors like eating habits. Statistics have been studied for some time now, so people know how to treat these things.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
ImprovizoR said:
fundayz said:
ImprovizoR said:
Ignorance at it's best.

Statistic is the mother of all lies. No one in their right mind takes statistic research seriously.
Really? Then I guess you should get out of the Internet, stop using phones and basically almost any piece of modern technology. Almost anything you use nowadays has had statistical techniques applied into their making at some point.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:
Wait a second, there are people that spend less than 2 hours a day of inactivity?

That is unhealthy...like, seriously unhealthy.

How the fuck do you even stay up long enough for that? Let alone continue physical activity 22 hours a day.
The study focused on recreational screen time because it?s the easiest to curtail, Dr. Stamatakis said. But he encouraged employees who work at computers all day to get up and take breaks and short walks periodically.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Study proves that eating McDonalds 4 times a week will make you fat?
WHAT?
well this is news to me!

but to be serious, Many people know that it is not healthy but they still do it because it is required to do so.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Wow so all the heavy weight lifting and exercise I do with my bro 3-5 days a week and the 3-5 times a day I take my dogs out to play around our large yard does nothing to counteract the hours I spend on my PC gaming, surfing the net and such?

So what is one supposed to do with all that time one would spend on the PC or sitting around gaming on the console? Sit around and watch TV? Exercise and do other strenuous stuff for 8 or more hours? Sit around at the bar for hours and hours...more? What if I rigged my PC so I alternaed between sitting and standing at it over the course of the hours I am on it?

This sounds like some bullshit half assed studies/research. Seeing as how studies and research over the years has said things like coffe is good for you, then bad for you, then good for you again and also that vitamins can be bad for you because of the high concentrations in the vitamins and so forth I will take these studies with an unhealthy dose of speculation.

/sigh...even though I am fairly fit my lifestyle is killing me no matter what...CURSE YOU LIFESTYLE!