Nickelodeon Greenlights Steampunk Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
Orcus_35 said:
Wow from Middle Ages to "Modern Times" kind of city, in 70 years is damn fast ! did they used Merlin's wand again ?
Not really that medieval and not really modern times when you think about it.
Remember the fire nation had tanks and zeppelins! Also you would think that a society that could master the four elements would progress faster. Particularly into a steam-punk society (water + fire).

Superhyperactiveman

Jul 23, 2009
Oh thank the good Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to His glorious name in Heaven.

My friend Megan told me about this, but she said the new Avatar was like... 5 and it was about a war between the Water Tribe and Fire Nation. This sounds a HELL of a lot better. Thank God!

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
kaveradeo said:
Why a water bender... Its just Katara made over sounds like. That's the only thing that disappoints me.
Does the Avatar cycle ring a bell? Air Water Earth Fire.

crewman_number_6 said:
This is nickelodeon redeeming its self for the movie.
The apology for that movie came wrapped in a steam-punk box. We are excitedly waiting for our present.

Aiddon said:
they need to be careful with her already knowing three elements and her personality summary ("independent, passionate, fearless, hot-headed") are ways to accidentally make a Mary-Sue. Still, great to see this universe expanded after Shamalamadingdong's TERRIBLE adaptation
Again something that made me hesitant, still we'll see how they play this one out. How will they title each season? (i.e. Book 1: Water, Book 2: Earth, Book 3: fire)

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
Mordwyl said:
Alas poor Aang didn't have a long life. :(
Lmao maybe when you compare it to Kyoshi who lived for 230 years! Aang died at around the same age as Roku.

starwarsgeek said:
More Avatar? Flamio!
Damn right Hotman!

YoyoTimes5 said:
Normally when I hear about sequels to things I like I'd go cry in a corner for a couple weeks convincing myself that everything's going to be ok and that the series I love so much really can't be dead and that I am just in some delirious state and soon I'll wake up and find my series safe and untouched.

This time, though, I'm kind of excited. It feels unnatural. I do hope for my and the sake of all Zuko-Katara shippers that Tenzin's mother is never mentioned, nor that Zuko had children or a grandchild unless their name is Korra.
I never understood the Zuko/Katara fangirls (maybe some boys) that romance would have made no sense what so ever.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Lordpils said:
Jsnoopy said:
Hopefully it answers the huge gaping plot hole of what the fuck they actually do in the world if Aang actually was the last airbender wouldn't that f up the next avatar cycle?
Two answers.
1. Tenzin (Son of Aang/Katara)
2. Energybending the most awesome plot convenience ever! (Watch Sozin's Comet)
deus ex machina

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
tony2077 said:
Lordpils said:
Jsnoopy said:
Hopefully it answers the huge gaping plot hole of what the fuck they actually do in the world if Aang actually was the last airbender wouldn't that f up the next avatar cycle?
Two answers.
deus ex machina
I know what it's called, I just thought that "most awesome plot convenience ever" was more humorous and got my point across. Two birds with one stone and all.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
At the very least I will check it out. I really enjoyed the original series. Hopefully they won't disappoint with a 2nd series.

Danallighieri

Jun 3, 2010
Aang dead? That's pretty sadface... but a new series! I wonder if Katara will be around or if she died too... I do hope they have cameos from The Last Airbender! and ooh! ooh! They can be bringing Aang back in the Avatar states and what not! That'll be so cool... okay fanboy-ness has ran it's course... I think

Dxz5roxg

Aug 19, 2009
This sounds really great. It seems like it'll be a true continuation of the storyline and not a spin off.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I hope people won't be put off by the fact that the animation will be Film quality, as opposed to TV quality.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
HELL YES! >XD YES YES!! WOOO

Movie wasnt that bad ppl. Its a really good synopsis of season 1. minus Boomy and Omashu. :(

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
SirCannonFodder said:
Drejer43 said:
SPOILERS!! That was my problem too, it's like the writers thought " oh shit how are we going to end this with out killing someone" and then they throw in this random character (or island?) in the second last episode (I think) and he gives Aang this completely unexplained bullshit power
But having Aang kill Ozai would have been completely against his character, he spent most of the third season stressing about having to actually kill someone and how it goes against everything he believes in.
Its not the that Aang didn't kill someone i have problems with, its the way he stopped the Qzai and how he got the power to do so.

Thinking about it, Korra should be able to kill someone since she isn't limited by being a monk, although it wont happen in a cartoon, I know.

Onside note: no wonder the air benders got slaughtered, if they refused to kill anyone.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Drejer43 said:
Onside note: no wonder the air benders got slaughtered, if they refused to kill anyone.
Go and watch The Southern Air Temple again.

Note the hueg pile of Fire Nation skeletons around Gyatso. Aang refuses to kill anyone, but it's fairly obvious that an airbender so minded to do so can fuck your shit all the way up.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Lordpils said:
tony2077 said:
Lordpils said:
Jsnoopy said:
Two answers.
deus ex machina
I know what it's called, I just thought that "most awesome plot convenience ever" was more humorous and got my point across. Two birds with one stone and all.
just proving i'm a nerd is all

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
Lordpils said:
Orcus_35 said:
Wow from Middle Ages to "Modern Times" kind of city, in 70 years is damn fast ! did they used Merlin's wand again ?
Not really that medieval and not really modern times when you think about it.
Remember the fire nation had tanks and zeppelins! Also you would think that a society that could master the four elements would progress faster. Particularly into a steam-punk society (water + fire).
Exactly. And that's the kind of intelligent, thought-out writing that made the first show so friggin' awesome. And, hell, the world has had 70 more years of Sokka. I'm half surprised they haven't figured out space travel yet.

Not to mention, just think what the Earth Kingdom could do if Toph was able to teach Metalbending to others.