Nickelodeon Greenlights Steampunk Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sounds cool.

Old meets new, mysticism meets steam punk!? This could really be awesome if handeld correctly.

I'm not even that much of a fan of the show and I'm excited.

bubba145

Jan 4, 2010
Danman1 said:
bubba145 said:
my only question is are there going to be guns or are they going to wimp out on that tech.
o_O The original Avatar series ended with an attempted carpet bombing of the world. I'm sure they won't wimp out on anything.
i remember but the fire nation was in the second industrial revolution so wheres gunpowder did they just not make it or is censorship the thing.

Becoming Insane

Jun 18, 2008
loremazd said:
I wouldn't be suprised to see some old faces though, like I'd imagine Sokka might be around as a member of the white lotus society.
That would be awesome.

cursedseishi said:
Well to be fair, you can probably owe much of it to Sokka, as he was the one in the series who really started finding ways to use bending to create modern technology (submarine for instance). I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the major inspirations for the main city in this one.
Yeah; seeing Sokka be some sort of major technological genius would be great.

So, yeah. really looking forward to this! *crosses fingers*

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
Awesooooome!

Just don't let Shamalamadingdong get within 1,000 yards of it...

Also, I think it might be cool if it was given a darker nature, but that's not likely to happen with Nickelodeon, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, they did a good job with the first series, just saying it might be neat to see more adult interaction (not sex you pervs)and political intrigue.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
First getting news of a sequel series yesterday, I was skeptical. There didn't seem anywhere to go after the original series. Nations united, everyone's happy. The end. No room for more.

But this premise certainly holds promise. An anti-bending political movement stirring in the world's most socially and technologically advanced metropolis? That's a pretty damned good idea. I doubt it will produce a series as long as the original, being that this is more about a political movement in a city as opposed to worldwide warfare.

Unless the movement succeeds. The Avatar and the pro-benders (laugh it up, Europeans) fail to prevent the anti-bending ideology from becoming the majority belief, leaving them to hide in the underground, avoiding the bender Gestapo, trying to unite the world in a counter-revolutionary movement.

In that case, it could be as long as the original series, and perhaps just as awesome.

Republic City is a silly name, by the way.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
OceanRunner said:
Sounds fantastic. I hope we'll see an 80ish year old Aang at some point.
Apparently the fact that the new show is centered around Avatar Korra, the avatar after Aang, has escaped your notice. Aang's dead in this series, unless they use the energy bending thing to somehow make him live on.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
Idk, in Naruto they have computers but not guns, even though guns were made like 100 billion years before computers (rough estimate).

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
bubba145 said:
Danman1 said:
bubba145 said:
my only question is are there going to be guns or are they going to wimp out on that tech.
o_O The original Avatar series ended with an attempted carpet bombing of the world. I'm sure they won't wimp out on anything.
i remember but the fire nation was in the second industrial revolution so wheres gunpowder did they just not make it or is censorship the thing.
What purpose would gun powder serve if you can just shoot fire from your hands? However, in the original series there is one of the Rough Rhinos who uses dynamite.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
This pleases me.
I'd prefer if we could follow Korra from the beginning when she discovers she's the avatar, but what can ya do?

liamwazhere

Jul 12, 2009
Meh I am sorta scared that it would ruin the original, but beside's that I do hope it will be good.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
This. Sounds. Amazing. I can't wait, and I bet all the old characters will have cameos, like a vision with Aang in it, possibly with Katara, with an old Zuko and/or Sokka.

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
Shit, seriously?! This is terriffic news! I can hardly believe what I'm reading! Avatar was one of the best animated shows ever made, and to see them making a new one with STEAMPUNK! It's almost too good to be true...

Wait...am...am I dead?

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Crime-fighting? Anti-bending revolution? ...sounds kinda meh to me, but...oh well, can't say it's bad until I've gotten at least halfway into the series, I suppose.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Five bucks says at least one member of the old squad comes back, either as support or as a maybe-villain. Ten bucks says it's Zuko, given his INSANE popularity and the fact that now HE can play the role of 'Badass Grandpa'.

Also, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! I've been LUSTING for a sequel since the finale! Thank groodness the movie didn't tank the chances of it coming out.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
The next Avatar in a world where technology actually progresses in a logical way done by the original creators while Shyamalan is busy with his three movie deal that no one will watch? Hell yeah, I am so on board with this! Here's to hoping Sokka plays a major part.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I'll miss all the old characters, though I hope they'll make some old-people cameos. I think I'll be looking forward to this.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
It sucks that I'm not excited about this. I liked the show, but I think that the terrible movie ruined it all for me. Hopefully that feeling will die soon.