Ninja Theory Defends Dante Redesign [UPDATED]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Warnolo said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
So people are pissed off about them changing Dante's look? So he looks a little emo who cares? I personally don't see how an emo kid looks any worse than a guy in leather pants, a red leather jacket that's always open with no shirt under, and long white hair. Like really people grow the fuck up.
Them pal, you know nothing about coolness
There's cool, then there's wigging out about a character's change when it's a reboot. I personally think the new design is a bit more relative to what people look like. I'm not going to judge a game by what the main character looks like, unlike so many other people.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I wont judge the game on the character, though i did rant about it in the beginning. As long as they dont fuck up the gameplay and make it to a god of war clone i am happy.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
Hmm, so Ninja Theory also fails at defending its failures.
How...why do companies keep hiring Ninja Theory? I...I don't understand... are they really that cheap?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I loved the old Dante. His cocky attitude is what made him such a great character. Now, you're going to ruin all that by dressing him up like a hobo and make him look like he just got a severe beating?

Philbyy

May 25, 2010
I'm a bit confused, is this a reboot or a prequel?

If it's a reboot- fair play, I don't like it but it's not my game. I just won't buy it.

If it's a prequel- hang on a minute.

So... when they sat down to make the prequel, they thought 'his look isn't cool anymore, we need to redsign him.' So they did, in current fashion. Meaning, if you look at his character design i chronological order rather than release order, his fashion will be moving backwards.

It's a fairly minor gripe as things go, but really, your answer to what is to my mind spoiling a really cool character design... is basically a failure of continuity.
Great.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
I never for a second imagined that even the most passionate video game fan might have a serious problem with one of their favourite characters getting a haircut and wardrobe spring cleaning.

I guess fanatism does not only apply to religions and political ideas.

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
Aethren said:
A lot of the types so willing to dry-hump the anti-emo bandwagon tend to mistake goth and emo because both tend to wear black, have introverted personalities, and are usually quiet, and anyone shallow enough to stay on said bandwagon wouldn't care to educate themselves enough to know the difference.

OT: I for one am loving this new look. Of course, I've never played any of the games, but he just looked like a douche before. A badass douche perhaps, but a douche nonetheless.
And what I find hilarious is that the people who aren't calling him emo/goth are calling him a "twilight fan" look-a-like, or that he looks like Edward Cullen, which is completely crazy because the Cullens both read as and look like a walking American Apparel/Gap advertisement.

So I find myself confused. Personally I don't have a problem with his look, I'd rather just wait and see what the gameplay is like.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
It's just the hair, make it a little longer. I can't imagine Dante having such a bad looking haircut.

Philbyy

May 25, 2010
blakfayt said:
Philbyy said:
So... when they sat down to make the prequel, they thought 'his look isn't cool anymore, we need to redsign him.' So they did, in current fashion. Meaning, if you look at his character design i chronological order rather than release order, his fashion will be moving backwards.

It's a fairly minor gripe as things go, but really, your answer to what is to my mind spoiling a really cool character design... is basically a failure of continuity.
Great.
Of course it makes sense, kids today listen to all sorts of (going by rocker type kids) new bands, but eventually they find their way to the old bands like Aerosmith, and the like and all of a sudden it's like "WHOA!" so as Dante gets older he looks at old fashions and went "that's sweet, I think I'll dress like that, and since I can't be killed, no one with half a brain in his head will complain about it" so then he goes retro and no one complains about it, cause it works for him, let's call this new dante his "awkward phase".
If this is his awkward phase, does that make all the other games- including that motorbike- one massive midlife crisis? :p

Hydrahunter

Jun 8, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a cut-scene in one of the DMC's that showed Dante as a baby with WHITE hair? What, does he dye his hair because hes afraid of being made fun up?

I do wonder what they are going to do to replace Devil Trigger in this game though, seeing as how Dante awakened his powers in DMC3 so it would be a huge continuity issue should he have them in this new one.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I cant believe everyone is so bent out of shape because they change the lead charecters outfit.

He does look homeless (plot device maybe?) but its still better than that god awful coat and hair. He didn't look bad ass, he looked like he was going to a fancy dress party.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
But what was cool in 2002 when Devil May Cry was released wasn't cool any more and for the game to have the same vibrant energy, it had to draw on new sources of inspiration. "If Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo, he'd get laughed out,"
In my country if their Dante arrived at a bar he would be flung out of there with several glass shards up his ass and half of his body missing. If they are a western developer then they should very well know what people here consider cool.

piscian said:
So dante's a poor homeless teenager, meh I dont see what the big deal is. Mario is the most retarded looking character in videogames, since when did you guys get so vain?
If he was a new character in a new ip we would accept it. But now they just took an existing character and took away everything we liked about him. It's as if they took Mario and made a gritty reboot where he has a mohawk, wears eyeliner, rapes the princess before killing her and then proceeds on a journey to [censored] Bowser. Actually that sounds kinda cool... (but the new Dante still sucks in my opinion)

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Any step away from where DMC4 was heading is a good thing in my opinion. It lost a lot of the style and atmosphere of the series and I couldn't see them getting much better by simply making a 5th. I'm coming round to the idea of a reboot, though not yet on new Dante.