Ninja Theory Defends Dante Redesign [UPDATED]

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Right that's it internet, enough, time to do some lines till you've learnt your lesson, Write this 100 times.

"I WILL NOT JUDGE GAMES OFF 2 MINS OF PRE-ALPHA BUILD CG"

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Look, I'll give you guys a chance with this game, but even if it's like Darksiders, where I could see potential for a good game that might only need another sequel to bring out but still doesn't meet expectations, I'm done with it.

Now, what I really want to see is that Dante is the same as ever in terms of character (please, please Ninja Theory, don't throw Sparda in there to give him some stupid problem with his dad over being half demon) and combat (DMC came before God of War, remember this. Difference: Style over brutality).

For people who don't understand why DMC fans are angry with this: Remember that Dante is practically an iconic face in gaming, and though every appearance of him has been different, they've all stuck to a formula. In other words, he's like Link. If the next Legend of Zelda game came out with Link appearing in something other than a green cap and tunic with nonblonde hair, I guarentee the reaction would be the same (if not stronger). As for the game design, removing the gothic elements is like removing the playfulness of the Mushroom Kingdom, the steampunk from Rapture, or the 50s theme from Fallout. Sure the game could survive without it, but it wouldn't feel like that game series anymore.

Sep 13, 2010
taken without comparison to the old dante, this design is not bad at all. though I do wonder why they decided to shoehorn in this new dante and with it his transformation into old dante, when they simply could have made him an all new character (dante's son perhaps?)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
What is there to say that hasn't already been said?
Dante went from being a true badass to Shia Labeouf ("The Beef that Can't Act").

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
piscian said:
So dante's a poor homeless teenager, meh I dont see what the big deal is. Mario is the most retarded looking character in videogames, since when did you guys get so vain?
It would be like they made Mario an electrician, or Gordon Freeman a creationist in the new sequel. It's just random, unnecessary, and makes no sense. It contributes NOTHING to the story and breaks established canon. An electrician Mario would clash with the whole pipeline imagery in the Mario games - it would make more sense if they were electrical wires or something. I mean, it's just one detail, but it portrays much more: that the developer doesn't know what he's doing.

Those that loved the previous games aren't upset about a simple design swap. Dante got those four times already, each time with someone saying, "Eeeh, I liked him better last time." But this instance is different because it seems that Ninja Theory is just flailing around, completely missing the point of the previous games, and compiling a bunch of marketable bullshit, prepared to slap a recognizable brand on it and make a quick buck. And they have the nerve to call it a prequel? The story already has one!

Everything that they put out has been a step backwards from the previous games: the main character seemed devoid of all charm, the combat style looked more like Prototype than the Bayonetta-benchmark it should be aiming at, the art design/color palette/narrative attempt all have some dilapidated urban scene aesthetic that would more suit a Condemned: Criminal Origins or Se7en game than a DMC sequel (which was always an anime/christian mysticism blend), and the studio just seems like they don't give a shit, like they aren't making a new DMC game, just a pet project of theirs that ties into a recognizable name.

Chainsauce

Aug 14, 2010
I'm all for a redesign, but from the concept art they've released this one doesn't look very good.

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
Wow, they are just determined not to admit that DMC2 happened, huh? Listen, fellas... you have to acknowledge it sometime. That game happened. That plot happened. That ending? It happened. It's okay. You still have a chance to make it alright.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
cvsound43 said:
How about waiting to play the game before judging it instead of judging it on a 30sec trailer. And to the people that say his personality is different from the original Dante how about complaining after a trailer with dialog has been released. And if it is different then why is it a bad thing? Its called character development. Nobody has the same personality they had 20 years ago, it constantly evolves and changes. Characters need change every now and again. Case in point Mario, after having to rescue Princess Peach year after year he should really have reached a point where he says "I'm too old for this shit" and retire.
I'm sorry, but... No, no way. How is that character development?! It's more like... an off-screen committee-designed character rewrite.

Do you also think that Resident Evil characters "developed"? Look, here's Leon, a rookie cop. Look, here's Leon a few years later, now a U.S. Secret Service agent! What a stunning character arc that we never witnessed! Truly RE has some amazing writers!

Except it doesn't. RE writing sucks, it's the zombie/mutant killing that makes the games fun. The changes in the characters take place in-between the games, have no effect on the narrative and aren't addressed during the games, thereby making the RE4/5 Leon and Chris entirely new and more marketable characters slapped with old names so the fans would shut up.

And this is EXACTLY what Ninja Theory is trying to do with Dante. Except old Dante actually had a personality that made him such a videogame icon in the first place, as opposed to Jill Generic Valentine. This new trailer is just Ninja Theory's market research - they tried to make something hip and massively missed the point. That they're sticking to it is not admirable, it's thick.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
This is like DMC2 all over again, except somehow sillier.
Remember when every teenage boy was whining because their man-crush Dante was "too serious" and wasn't making as many quips as he used to? Well... now those boys are well into their 20s and Dante has hit waifu status.

I can't wait for the "That's not really Dante. It's just someone who is calling himself Dante" threads to start up again full-force like they used to. ... ... ... Oh wait! (Brace for conversations centering around some loser named Enzo in 3. 2. 1.)

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Just change his fucking hair, everything else I'm fine with now, just change the goddamn hair so he doesn't look like a lesbian.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
mm good Bond comparison at the end there
altho Craig is RIPPED unlike Dante here lol

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
They defend their design choice by citing James Bond...
Ok...
I still can't get over this tidbit though. HE'S DESIGNED TO LOOK LIKE THE LEAD DEVELOPER!

EDIT: Besides, he doesn't look cool as is. Before, people would maybe stare at him a few seconds, see his giant sword and cocky grin, and think he was a psycho or something. Now, they would look at him and kick him in the balls for being there.

RE-EDIT: I want the old Bond back...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
So they changed him because of Daniel Craig becoming the new Bond?

...fuck it, ill buy it. (the reason, not the game.)

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
So people are pissed off about them changing Dante's look? So he looks a little emo who cares? I personally don't see how an emo kid looks any worse than a guy in leather pants, a red leather jacket that's always open with no shirt under, and long white hair. Like really people grow the fuck up.
And people, it's a fucking reboot.
I have to say, here here.

Maybe because I'm not a huge fan of Devil May Cry, but I don't really see what people are getting so worked up about, especially considering it's a reboot/prequel to the series and he's clearly developing his signature silver hair color.

It's not like Infamous where they took an already established character and made him look and sound completely different for the sequel.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
You're honestly comparing this to James Bond, Mr. Tameem? Really?

Sir, herein lies the difference. Mr. Craig's Bond was a closer depiction of the Bond in the books than any other depiction of Bond. You know, those books that inspired the whole franchise to begin with.

His characterization was more true to the source material. This is a concept you seem to have trouble with, good sir.