Nintendo: Adults Use Wii More Often Than PS3, 360

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Great stuff. Whether it's true or not, it's great stuff.

Jiraiya72 said:
armaina said:
Jiraiya72 said:
tellmeimaninja said:
Most adults are casual gamers. Most Wii games are casual games. Take Wii Sports. The second one sold like hotcakes, despite being little more than an assembly of poorly made minigames.
Yes this. Also reminds me of the article claiming like 40% of gamers are women. Sorry but playing wii sports 2 hours a week is the same as playing farmville. It isn't gaming.
Yes, as a woman I couldn't possibly be playing Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Okami, Umbrella Chronicles, Conduit or Super Paper Mario on my Wii. Nor could all my other female friends.

Seriously all these people that seem to think it's impossible for 40% of gamers to be women either don't have many female friends or hardly interact with them. This is the reason why many female gamers tend to hide their presence online.
Maybe instead of smarting off you should get off your high horse and read what I actually wrote, both in this case and the other article.
Kwil said:
Aww.. Poor baby. Are you threatened because I'm right?
Calm down man, it's only games.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Riiiiiiight Reggie! You keep telling yourself that and maybe one day it wont be complete and total bullshit. Hell if you have enough money you can find a survey company that will find numbers to prove that the majority of the population prefer to worship dung beetles over any single organized religion. Case in point numbers can be bought and paid for.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
tellmeimaninja said:
Most adults are casual gamers. Most Wii games are casual games. Take Wii Sports. The second one sold like hotcakes, despite being little more than an assembly of poorly made minigames.
And though it was just an assembly of minigames they were apparently all very well made. They weren't deep but they weren't sloppily put together, see it is tempting to see these as lazy attempts but Nintendo have always put their top developers on their Wii Something games as these are the breadwinners... these are going to sell consoles by the MILLIONS every month and set up a massive install base to grow on.

The real money, that is with the what Reggie calls the "Bridge titles" like Mario Kart Wii and Mario Bros Wii that have both sold over 22 MILLION copies, each! That's non-bundled with any peripheral and highest selling non-bundled games of all time. These are the titles that draw users from Wii Tennis.

Nintendo is carving out its own future, mostly away from the big Microsoft and Sony companies, taking advantage of it's pure gaming credentials and footloose nature creating a new demographic of gamers and it is clear they are figuring out how to bring them all along for more advanced games.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Calatar said:
Why not accept that there is both hardcore and casual gaming, rather than stubbornly clinging to the notion that hardcore gaming is the only kind of gaming that exists.
I do acknowledge casual gaming exists. Playing an mmo an hour or two a day. That's casual gaming. Playing Braid or Plants vs Zombies, that's casual gaming. Playing a couple rounds of TF2 a day, that's casual gaming. Playing farmville, not casual gaming. Farmville is hardly under the umbrella of actual "game".
crimson5pheonix said:
Calm down man, it's only games.
You say that like they didn't just bombard me with posts in the same light ~_~;

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Xanthious said:
Riiiiiiight Reggie! You keep telling yourself that and maybe one day it wont be complete and total bullshit. Hell if you have enough money you can find a survey company that will find numbers to prove that the majority of the population prefer to worship dung beetles over any single organized religion. Case in point numbers can be bought and paid for.
OK, you know the phrase "lies, damn lies and statistics" doesn't mean that in statistics of pubic companies you can get away with COMPLETELY FABRICATING data or BRIBING officials!!!

No, statistics can be deceptive and misleading when taken out of context but that can only shift 10-20% either way, this difference IS significant and un-falsifiable. We NEED to figure out what this all actually means, this is just a number but it doesn't paint a very clear picture of Wii or PS3 or 360.

Remember, even Microsoft admits that they only have regular peak numbers of simultaneous users of Xbox Live of around 2.2 million... out of 40 million consoles sold.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
...Playing a couple rounds of TF2 a day, that's casual gaming. Playing farmville, not casual gaming. Farmville is hardly under the umbrella of actual "game"...
Well... how would YOU define a game then as whatever your definition is if it excludes Farmville then it is not the same as the dictionary definition.

Famville is lame... but it's still a game. Just like Twilight is still technically a movie.

(PS: when people talk about "casual gaming" they don't mean casual in the literal sense, usually it is just a euphemism for downmarket. I mean come on, being literal ALL gaming is casual, it's hardly a formal affair is it)

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Jumplion said:
Gladion said:
Of course the supply of Wiis isn't steady enough. It's impossible to keep up producing the damn things as fast as they sell. (Of course they didn't include the PS3, the statement would've been wrong otherwise, what's so funny about it?)
Oh BS, bollocks, and horse's truffles, do you really think that after 4 years Nintendo still can't keep up with the demand of the console? Hell, the DS is still in good supply, It's a marketing tactic pure and simple.
Why do they intentionally produce too little Wiis but do not use the same tactics with the DS? The two consoles are roughly in the same position with the DS having even less competition, though.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Gladion said:
Jumplion said:
Gladion said:
Of course the supply of Wiis isn't steady enough. It's impossible to keep up producing the damn things as fast as they sell. (Of course they didn't include the PS3, the statement would've been wrong otherwise, what's so funny about it?)
Oh BS, bollocks, and horse's truffles, do you really think that after 4 years Nintendo still can't keep up with the demand of the console? Hell, the DS is still in good supply, It's a marketing tactic pure and simple.
Why do they intentionally produce too little Wiis but do not use the same tactics with the DS? The two consoles are roughly in the same position with the DS having even less competition, though.
DS already has over 100 million handhelds sold for 6 years, not to mention the 3DS is just on the horizon. And, as you said, it barely has any competition so the consumers just choose it by default (Just sayin', The PSP has been moderately successful compared to the DS. 50 mil sold)

Wii has, last I checked, around 60 million in 4 years. Nintendo could still use some golden bathtubs ;P

Regardless, you cannot possibly tell me that Nintendo is still somehow unable to meet demand of the product after 4 years. Really, your original statement was just false now that I think about it. They're not selling so fast that Nintendo can't keep up with demand, that's WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY back in 2007, maybe 2008. If Nintendo can't purposefully meet most of the demand now, in 2010, then they would be royally fucked.

In fact, there's evidence that the Wii is now just stagnating in sales, indicating that there isn't as much of a demand as there used to be overall. It's still selling very well, just not as well as it's initial release.

MaltesePigeon

Feb 3, 2010
I'm gonna dust off my Wii now. If the dust storm that ensues causes me to start choking to death, please somebody dial 911.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
danpascooch said:
I call bullshit, ESPECIALLY on:

"[The data shows] that as many people plan on buying a Wii ... as the 360 ... iPhone ... iPod and iPod touch put together."
That's a crock of shit, (funny they didn't put PS3 in there) if it's true, it's only true because the crappy supply of Wii's made it so that you had to plan on buying one instead of just buying one.

As for the "stereotype" it's very true, in fact, it describes me perfectly, my Wii hasn't been plugged in in over two years. Unless they release a good amount of information on how this survey was conducted, and release the raw data, I call bullshit.
I think the major reason for that satistic is this, most people that are under this study didn't grow up with video games and tech, nor use the internet very often, why we don't hear from them. So as far as they know, wii sports and such is the best there is. They find it fun without much to compare it to, and have a different mentality then those of us that grew up with computers.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
*yawn* Statistics are great... If I need a nap. Or I need to vent anger about something (surveys are always good to rant about if steam needs to be blown)

Thank you for not boring us with this stuff during the E3 press conference though, Reggie.

Jumplion said:
That and the fact that Reggie Fils-Amie was talking in this article doesn't help. God I hate his guts.

He WILL stare into your soul.

Seriously, this picture should be the Reggie equivilant to Kojima on a Duck [http://www.anaitgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kojima-duck.jpg] for this site.
Why. Why the hell did you show me that. And no, no it should not. Kojima on a duck is funny... Close-up Reggie just murdered my inner child.

Ridgemo

Feb 2, 2010
Simple reason why adults prefer the Wii, because they're too damned stupid to be able to learn how to use a proper controller.

Anyone can wave a Wii-mote around like a retard. Which is basically Wii gameplay.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
I think the major reason for that satistic is this, most people that are under this study didn't grow up with video games and tech, nor use the internet very often, why we don't hear from them. So as far as they know, wii sports and such is the best there is. They find it fun without much to compare it to, and have a different mentality then those of us that grew up with computers.
Or maybe they just don't care about the psycho shooter bloodbath games. There's different reasons for it besides `have nothing to compare it to'. Let's take 80 year old grandpas, for example. Maybe they think `hardcore' games are boring, because, well, lots of them have already been there, done that. Ever heard of Vietnam? Go up against gramps there and you will get your ass kicked. I guarantee it.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
This changes nothing. Woo, Nintendo are more mainstream than the iPhone. It only took them three years to remind people that they have nothing to offer the gaming community but tired franchises and gimmicks abound.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I'll tell you why right now, it's because some people who've never played games before can still jump around in front of their telly like an idiot, even if they can't figure out how a controller works.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Makes sense to me, I suppose. I mean, it's not going to convince anyone of anything, especially not people who are convinced the Wii is an overpriced gimmick, but it certainly shows why people who disagree disagree...myself included.

LeonLethality said:
I love how people in this thread keep saying "But but but -insert excuse here about why Wii is on top and not their console of choice-"
Not responding to what you're saying, I'm just admiring Caster, here...

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
most people that are under this study didn't grow up with video games and tech,
Maybe not with a computer or console in most homes but gaming has been widely available since 1971, Those of us approaching 35 are both adults and highly exposed to gaming and you know what?
Those in their fifties have a pretty good exposure too, my dad may remember the day arcade machines first turned up in his local pub and he may consider them as a distraction and not appreciate how they could be a hobby but he plays likes playing and has been playing games on and off for a much of his lifespan. Are those above retirement what you call adults?