Nintendo Crushes Fans' Hopes for Notable Wii Localizations

fangface

May 28, 2011
Hey everyone! I know this sounds extreme, but I think we have to boycott Nintendo.

Follow this link and I will explain some more: http://www.ign.com/blogs/fang130

Spread the word too! Put this link everywhere! Support the cause!

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
learning a second language ftw! although It does detract from the experience when you have to sit there scratching your head because you didn't understand a phrase.

Stop trolling and give us the localizations nintendo!

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
It's like Nintendo want us to regret purchasing the Wii. One day they will be back on the bottom and this shit will be part of the reason why. I hope the WiiU fails just like the 3DS will. I used to love Nintendo but there is only so much any fan can take.
Doubt 3DS is going to fail.
I don't know, the 3D gimmick isn't exactly making people run out and buy them and that is it's major feature. What good is a feature that some people can't even see and that gives alot of people a headache making for short gaming sessions in 3D.
People aren't running out and buying them because it was released in the middle of the year (no holiday sales), had a highish price, and, in Japan's case, was released in the midst of a natural disaster. You should probably just be on the "wait and see" boat versus being on the "oh it's obviously going to fail no matter what" boat. If it doesn't start selling by the holidays then you should switch boats.
That boat is too crowded. I think the 3DS will fail, if I am wrong then I am wrong. There are also other issues like Nintendo being able to brick your 3DS remotely or something. Is that true? If it is then you know that is holding some people back too.
But that stance is so negative and pessimistic. Being neutral seems to be the way to go.

The people who are upset about Nintendo's ability to brick your system remotely are pirates, a.k.a. undesirables. Companies usually don't give a shit about their feelings as the pirates don't give a shit about the company's.
I am not a pirate but I am upset about Nintendo having that ability, it is another factor to keep me away from it. After all, when Sony removed OtherOS, did it only upset the pirates? I have a HP monitor, sure wouldn't like it if HP could kill it remotely even if the likelihood of that happening is low. Wouldn't want Ford to be able to remotely kill my car either, does that make me a car thief?
Admittedly, it's a little worrying, but I doubt it will affect you in any way if you behave yourself.
Crono1973 said:
The Wii was a success from the get go. Remember that the stores were always sold out for the first couple of years of the Wii's life. So I guess I am wondering why you ever thought the Wii was a failure?

The 3DS, on the other hand is not flying off the shelves and Nintendo has admitted it isn't selling as well as they would like. Also, Nintendo USES it's gimmicks. Even though alot of people hated motion controls it didn't stop Nintendo from forcing them into most of their high profile games. The DS as well, the love throwing in stylus control and yelling into the mic, no matter how much gamers disliked it. No, they will not abandon the 3D part of the 3DS. Third party devs might but Nintendo won't.
It's worth mentioning that the Wii was released in time for the holiday rush.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Anyone else have Catherine flashbacks when they read Nintendo's statement? It was said that there were no plans to release that in the West at the time of the statement too.

pyrrhic victory

Jun 9, 2011
Hello?!? I'm still waiting on Last Window!! And I was actually relatively excited for Pandora's Tower! FU2, Nintendo!!!!

PS: Anyone who still believes that Nintendo will release Mother 3 in USA is living in a fantasy world. Where there's cake.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Aiddon said:
Kopikatsu said:
Why does Nintendo hate money?

Maybe they got sick of watching their consoles print it. IS THAT WHY YOU HATE MONEY, NINTENDO? BECAUSE YOU HAVE TOO MUCH OF IT?

If so, I'll gladly sacrifice myself and take some of that money off your hands. Aren't I selfless?
Because gamers, despite saying they WOULD support said titles, will inevitably find excuses to chicken out of buying them hoping that someone else will pick up the slack for them, proving that gamers are little more than a bunch of whiny, hypocritical, gutless, meek crybabies who don't deserve nice things.
Nintendo should try it again, then. See if the consumers back their mouths with their money, or if they were just screwing around. That way, if fans beg for it again in the future, Nintendo can point to the failure and say, "We tried to give you what you wanted, you obviously didn't really want it. So yeah, screw off."

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
itsmeyouidiot said:
Yet another example of The Escapist resorting to scare journalism to gather views.

Nintendo didn't say they wouldn't localize the games. They said that they might localize the games in the future, but they don't have any plans now.

Now quit being such fucking bad journalists and actually take quotes for what they mean.
I'm saying this a second time, because apparently people didn't hear me the first time.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Well fuck you too Nintendo, the whole Wii console cycle was your way of saying 15 years of hard loyalty came off as clingy. I can take a hint and give you your space. You have fun with your casual flings, but I'm seeing others consoles and and they make me happy.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
So let me get this straight: Nintendo has gotten beaten up by hardcore gamers for several years now for below average games and gimmicky controls that did little to advance the gaming world. Nintendo has made games such as Xenoblade and Last Story that are known as being great games that would increase Nintendo's reputation with gamers in other parts of the world. North America, which has to be at least the second largest, if not the largest market Nintendo has, wants these games, to the point that they launched a campaign to make one of them the most preordered game on Amazon. All Nintendo would have to do is translate the already completed and critically acclaimed games into English and North American gamers would be ecstatic and Nintendo would make more money on a property they already know will do well. And Nintendo looks at all of this...and decides to give North American gamers the middle finger.

This makes no sense to me from a PR perspective or a business perspective. It was handled without grace or class, and phrased in a way to get people excited only to have them get let down. And they would definitively make money from the deal. What am I missing here?

In all seriousness, stuff like this makes me want to break my Wii with a Sledgehammer (well, that, and the failure that is the Conduit that my friend recently lent to me. Last time I trust him on a game EVER)

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
itsmeyouidiot said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
Yet another example of The Escapist resorting to scare journalism to gather views.

Nintendo didn't say they wouldn't localize the games. They said that they might localize the games in the future, but they don't have any plans now.

Now quit being such fucking bad journalists and actually take quotes for what they mean.
I'm saying this a second time, because apparently people didn't hear me the first time.
Read the quote from the Facebook page. They never said they "Might" localize games. They said they have no plans for it now and hinted that they would most likely not in the future. Given their history, that's not a big stretch (see also: Mother 3). Before you accuse good writers of using scare tactics, look at the facts and see if their conclusions make sense. When they do, stop yourself from appearing like a jerk by quoting yourself to get a message across with which no one else agrees. (Not trying to be rude, for I obviously have nothing personal against you, but it does seem odd you would feel a need to quote yourself...)

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Journalists aren't supposed to reach conclusions. That's what editorials are for.

When they said "never say never" they presumably meant that some time in the future, it could be that these three games are localized. At this point, the best option would be to keep pressuring Nintendo, and maybe at E3 next year we'll see these games.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Falcon123 said:
So let me get this straight: Nintendo has gotten beaten up by hardcore gamers for several years now for below average games and gimmicky controls that did little to advance the gaming world. Nintendo has made games such as Xenoblade and Last Story that are known as being great games that would increase Nintendo's reputation with gamers in other parts of the world. North America, which has to be at least the second largest, if not the largest market Nintendo has, wants these games, to the point that they launched a campaign to make one of them the most preordered game on Amazon. All Nintendo would have to do is translate the already completed and critically acclaimed games into English and North American gamers would be ecstatic and Nintendo would make more money on a property they already know will do well. And Nintendo looks at all of this...and decides to give North American gamers the middle finger.

This makes no sense to me from a PR perspective or a business perspective. It was handled without grace or class, and phrased in a way to get people excited only to have them get let down. And they would definitively make money from the deal. What am I missing here?

In all seriousness, stuff like this makes me want to break my Wii with a Sledgehammer (well, that, and the failure that is the Conduit that my friend recently lent to me. Last time I trust him on a game EVER)
It's apparently already translated to English for release in the UK, which makes it even worse.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
It's like Nintendo want us to regret purchasing the Wii. One day they will be back on the bottom and this shit will be part of the reason why. I hope the WiiU fails just like the 3DS will. I used to love Nintendo but there is only so much any fan can take.
Doubt 3DS is going to fail.
I don't know, the 3D gimmick isn't exactly making people run out and buy them and that is it's major feature. What good is a feature that some people can't even see and that gives alot of people a headache making for short gaming sessions in 3D.
People aren't running out and buying them because it was released in the middle of the year (no holiday sales), had a highish price, and, in Japan's case, was released in the midst of a natural disaster. You should probably just be on the "wait and see" boat versus being on the "oh it's obviously going to fail no matter what" boat. If it doesn't start selling by the holidays then you should switch boats.
That boat is too crowded. I think the 3DS will fail, if I am wrong then I am wrong. There are also other issues like Nintendo being able to brick your 3DS remotely or something. Is that true? If it is then you know that is holding some people back too.
But that stance is so negative and pessimistic. Being neutral seems to be the way to go.

The people who are upset about Nintendo's ability to brick your system remotely are pirates, a.k.a. undesirables. Companies usually don't give a shit about their feelings as the pirates don't give a shit about the company's.
I am not a pirate but I am upset about Nintendo having that ability, it is another factor to keep me away from it. After all, when Sony removed OtherOS, did it only upset the pirates? I have a HP monitor, sure wouldn't like it if HP could kill it remotely even if the likelihood of that happening is low. Wouldn't want Ford to be able to remotely kill my car either, does that make me a car thief?
Admittedly, it's a little worrying, but I doubt it will affect you in any way if you behave yourself.
Crono1973 said:
The Wii was a success from the get go. Remember that the stores were always sold out for the first couple of years of the Wii's life. So I guess I am wondering why you ever thought the Wii was a failure?

The 3DS, on the other hand is not flying off the shelves and Nintendo has admitted it isn't selling as well as they would like. Also, Nintendo USES it's gimmicks. Even though alot of people hated motion controls it didn't stop Nintendo from forcing them into most of their high profile games. The DS as well, the love throwing in stylus control and yelling into the mic, no matter how much gamers disliked it. No, they will not abandon the 3D part of the 3DS. Third party devs might but Nintendo won't.
It's worth mentioning that the Wii was released in time for the holiday rush.
...and didn't slow down after the holiday season.

Charmi the ninja

May 28, 2011
Well I can't say I'm surprised :/
Lately, it seems like Nintendo just loves making bad decisions.
This is why I'm gonna save up, find a job in and move to japan. Then I'm gonna get language lessons, so i can read kanji comfortably, beffore finally buying my copy of "Love Plus", and marrying my VGF :)

mastiffchild

May 27, 2010
GrungyMunchy said:
Yeah, they really must hate money. They're not even a company or anything.

If they're not releasing the game in America they must have a REALLY good reason for it, i.e. market studies showing the games won't sell shit. Especially given that they already have the English version made.

So yeah, the only reason you won't see the games released in the US is because you won't buy them.
Not true with Nintendo, not true at all. We see this kind of thing said a lot and that gamers wouldn't buy the games even if they WERE released anyway and neither is strictly true at all. In this case the cost of localisation is already done for the EU(UK)so just what risk would there be for Ninty of America? Another thing to remember is the list of other games we saw in the UK from them that the US hasn't-the obvious one being Disaster:DoC which only failed to appear in the US because Reggie didn't like it or it's audio! It came out in English for the UK even without advertising or being stocked everywhere so why are Ninty EU happy to do this while the US isn't>? The EU has a t5on of languages to cope with and includes both languages the US would need most AND the two for Canada! What's the issue here unless, like before, it's someone at Ninty US that simply doesn't think these games will appeal to ANY US gamer as they don't fancy them themselves.

Christ knows quite what their reason is but there's absolutely NO reason to think a limited run of 50 to 200,000 copies wouldn't be a good release number ensured to sell out pretty quickly and with localisation done that would be it-a run of discs and storing them while you order them at full retail. Again, the cost to risk is minimal and compared to the brownie points they'd get is absolutely nothing and I fail to see a good reason for them not to allow the fans their head on this one-all they're now doing is risking more people modding their Wii and, in this case, totally because they're being out of order.

Add all these jrpgs to D:DoC and Fatal Frame4 this generation and al those to the likes of Mother etc and a pattern of Ninty being a bit off with US gamers is clear and it needs looking at and we shouldn't start saying it's anything LIKE gamers' fault-not this time and not in this case because it plainly isn't true. no risk to Ninty of America, none at all. Having already done battle with Sega over seemingly EVERY and ANY western release of Yakuza I know how blind Japanese companies can be to Western fans of their series but as a platform holder Nintendo have a bigger picture to look at and building brand loyalty should be more important to them but, like making life better for third party devs and publishers, it doesn't seem ike they think it's important to treat loyal gamers with ANY respect. They won't release these but EXPECT us all to buy a 3DS just because they slapped a little make up and 3D on OoT? Great game, sure, but anyone of the five people who didn't play it originally(and their kids, if they're like me) will have played it on VC by now so a full retail release of one of their own games we all played already is a higher priority than releasing actual new content? I find it hard to see Nintendo as anything but a little out of touch and a little precious about their own developed franchises compared to those they publish at home.

Bottom line?This sucks and if they had a decent reason we'd have heard it and be, kind of, agreeing by now. Jesus, for the good PR tgey could even take a TINY hit over these but they won't and it stinks when Wii is crying out for decent games.

I'm a UK ganer so am lucky this time(not usually, mind) but I still believe these games would be profitable in the US/Canada-why on Earth wouldn't they be?

Omega Pirate

Sep 20, 2010
This is the reason my Wii has 6 times less games then my Xbox360 and PS3. I mean really, the only good Wii games are Monster Hunter and the first party games. I had to get up and look to see if there is anything besides Monster Hunter that I actually like, lol.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
not surprising. ever since the first consoles to ever come out from nintendo localization was a huge issue for them. they never managed to do it right and actually give western audiences the chance to play many games. This is just another log on a long road.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Hard to believe that the hardware branch of this company is one of the biggest industry innovators when the publishing branch is archaic beyond all reason.