Nintendogs Blamed for Enticing Real Dog to Attack Child

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Right, and I'm sure the next toddler that gets mauled by a pittbull can have the parents blame it on Animal Planet. Why would a small child and a fucking bull mastiff be in the same house? I don't care how tame you think your pet is, it's an animal; if it's capable of killing your child, you can't just say "fuck it, she'll be fine" and hope for the best.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I have mixed opinions on the subject.

I'll be blunt, dogs are social animals and it's very rare when a domesticated dog is going to attack someone. While certain breeds are "insane" being bred for violent tendencies, in most cases being raised as a pet as opposed to a combat animal is going to mitigate those.

Dogs, especially formidible ones also tend to be very protective of those in their territory (who belong there) and/or packs. There are many stories of dogs coming to the aid of children and so on.

Dogs also have a tendency to roughhouse when playing, and in most cases when they realize they aren't the alpha will take abuse more from a perspective of "what did I do wrong" rather than "enemy! Attack".

Oh sure, I know there are execeptions, but from the way this sounds I'm guessing that either there is something very wrong with the noises that game makes (it should be tested around dogs) or more likely that the girl was trying to do something beyond the pale with the dog. By this I mean more than just kicking it.

It's also possible that if she was rough with the dog, the dog decided to play with her, and given the relative size there was an accident. Consider that dogs like to nip when they play, a fully grown bull mastiff nipping a 9 year old can easily go horribly wrong. Some dogs aren't used to playing with children if they aren't around.

To put things into perspective my dog is a Pug, he weighs about 25 pounds. When walking him, some of the neightborhood children like to pet him and such. However he tends to be very excitable so I need to watch him. When dealing with a little kid coming to pet the doggie a 25 pound dog is still pretty big compared to the child and while he does not nip/bite (I've trained him out of that) he does like to rear up and lick people and stuff. leaning up against a kid's chest with his claws and so on he could do some damage especially if he's excited so I have to keep a careful eye on him, and a firm hand on the leash. I've avoided accidents as a result.

The point here being that it could have been something like what I watch out for, but with a dog who wasn't trained out of nipping people.

Just some rambling thoughts.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
While it's entirely possible that the sounds from the game were sufficient to incite a murderous rage in a dog, it's highly unlikely. I'm not sure how realistic the sounds from Nintendogs are, as I haven't played it, but I have recorded and played back various dog barks and my dogs don't even seem to hear it. That's certainly not proof that the same applies to every dog, but it does lend credence to the idea.

Also, children really shouldn't be near full-grown bull mastifs in the first place. Or rather, children shouldn't be around any carnivorous (and one could argue herbivorous) animals significantly larger than they are.

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
If what people say about Bull Mastiffs are true then it is probable that the sound of another dog in its territory spurred it to attack but for some reason I bet the dog ran to the sofa barking the girl got annoyed by the sound of the dog barking and kicked it to go away thus spurring the dog to attack her, also where were the parents to stop that thing.

But even if the sound of dogs caused it to attack it could've been from the TV, doesn't make it the TVs fault, it doesn't know there is a dog around, it only goes where the takes it.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
If the games barking set off the dog then wouldn't it go after the source of the noise? It's more likely due to a prior provocation, but naturaly since a game was invololved, people are going to say it's the game's fault and ignore any and all evidence to the contrary.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
SODAssault said:
Right, and I'm sure the next toddler that gets mauled by a pittbull can have the parents blame it on Animal Planet. Why would a small child and a fucking bull mastiff be in the same house? I don't care how tame you think your pet is, it's an animal; if it's capable of killing your child, you can't just say "fuck it, she'll be fine" and hope for the best.
Yeah, there's been quite a few of those happen as well. If I recall correctly... Maybe about a year or two ago a family left their dog in with a kid and the dog killed her. It's not a smart thing to do... Specially with a dog as big as a Bull Mastiff. I know they are often gentle giants and family friendly but if not trained well... Then something that big can be lethal.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
If only she wasn't being antisocial at her friends house this may not of happened.
1. Playing a DS while at a friends house. I mean I guess thats okay to go over someone elses house to play a one player video game instead of doing say a two player video game or anything else that involves more than just you.
2. Kicking the dog. All I have to say is that your parents should teach you a few things prior to going to a house with a dog that is twice the size of you. first no pulling the tail and second no hitting the dog.

And there is another way to spin the story so the parents are at fault. But because the parents are not large coorperations that are favorite targets of the media the blame falls squarely onto nintendogs shoulders. *SIGH*

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
I'm sorry but why do they have such a fucking psycho dog in their house with a small child? It attacks her, it's owner, because it heard a dog noise from that area.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
hey I was only joking of making Nintendogs Evil I,m sorry realy! I wonder what Fox News is gonna od with this

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
In defense of the dog, dogs are sensitive to high pitched sounds and if not properly trained will often go after them as they are annoying and sometimes painful to them. I have heard my niece playing Nintendogs and the game definitely makes noises which are in the pitch range which can cause a dog to want to go after it. Also you can pretty much guarantee that once the dog came after her, the child would have been trying to fight it off and again dogs which have not been properly trained are by nature to going to keep attacking a struggling target, no matter the breed.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
....I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Seriously get me an internet connection, an island and a cave and I'll do just fine.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
The sound of the dog barking is to blame, not the game itself. What if the kid was watching "Beethoven" on an iPad? Would we say that Netflix was solely responsible for this horrible accident?

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Digi7 said:
Yeah. I hate dogs, they can all go die, and this story has just reaffirmed that hate.

It wasn't the games fault though, of course. It's just stupid barbaric dog nature. She could have been watching a tv show about dogs. The only reason it went for her is because it was on her lap where the bark came from.
not all dogs are vicious, sure some breeds are more vicious than other but my 2 golden retrievers are really soppy. i would go with the dog beeing a bull mastiff as the main problem with this story but that doesn't mean all dogs (even other bull mastiffs, or a staffordshire bull terrier which are banned from breeding now (i think it's them anyway)) would do what this one did in that situation.

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
i call shenanigans. animals know the difference between a video game character and a real animal. I've tried. Dogs don;t respond to random barks from a game by going ballistic unless there is ALREADY some underlying issue. maybe she kicked it, maybe it was going feral, who knows?

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
EHKOS said:
....I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Seriously get me an internet connection, an island and a cave and I'll do just fine.
but then you will accidentally create a civilization and recreate the same scenario with YOU as the dog!

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
This just in:

[HEADING=1]Nintendogs[/HEADING]

[HEADING=2]Subliminal messaging & your dog: the seemingly benign threat.[/HEADING]

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I better make sure to put away Pokemon Snap then and not play it. I don't want my stuffed Bulbasaur coming at me because it sees another one on the TV screen. Thank you Daily Mail you possibly saved my life

Okuu_Fusion

Jul 14, 2010
Maybe don't use real dog barks in your game...

For all we know, the barking could mean fuck Mastiffs in dog language...