Nintendogs Blamed for Enticing Real Dog to Attack Child

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
SenseOfTumour said:
Daily Mail fiction. /thread

TL;DR version, both newspapers and the movie industry are threatened by gaming as it's becoming more successful, therefore they're both doing all they can to destroy it.
I thought this as well since it was started in the US by Arnie. But I read on this site a few days ago that the movie industry filed papers / briefs with the Supreme Courts in support of games being kept as protected under free speech. So there goes that theory out the window. Unless they are being very sneeky.....
Well, the movie and game industries have a strange relationship.
Movie people make movie.
Game comapny goes "Hey, we could make something good outta this."
Go out, make game.
Game sells either:
Well: Profits for game company, so movie company makes profits too. Sequels and spinoffs ensue.
Not so well: Game companies make small profit, movie company makes loss because game people don't see movie from past series experience. Game spinoffs, but not movie spinoffs.

The flipside:
Game people do their job.
Movie people go "Hey, this might work."
Make movie, it doesn't sell well.
Series is left to rot in forgotten wastelands, barring the Hitman series. 4 games so far, a movie, and another game incoming.
Life's good for IO Interactive.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Reminds me of when I used to play 101 Dalmations to make my dog go insane from the barking.

OT: This is probably as close to hurting someone a game will ever get.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Master_Spartan117666 said:
Ah, guys?
There's been an update, I got it from a mate who's touring the UK at the moment, and it's all over /v/ (4chan's video games board, and they're actually REPUTABLE *coughcough*Daily Mail*coughcough*
Apparently, the girl kicked the dog, which caused it to retaliate at her, not the in-game dogs barking.
And the parents did NOTHING (well, about her kicking the dog)
IT WAS NOT THE VIDEO GAME.
That makes a hell of a lot more sense.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Well, I'll be honest, if barking sets the dog off, you can't just blame the game. If there was a dog on the TV or radio it would have gone for the girl anyway. Would they blame those TV shows about dogs for it if it had been one of those that had set it off?

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
Autofaux said:
It's a bull mastiff. Why was it inside with a nine year old child in the first place?
Bull Mastiffs are generally very docile and friendly dogs. They're good with children when properly socialized. By breed, Bull Mastiffs are fairly good natured, and rarely aggressive. In fact, the preferred method of attack with a Bull Mastiff is to charge and use it's weight to knock down the target. And then they sit on him.

This incident isn't a problem with the breed, it's a problem with that specific dog and owner.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
JeanLuc761 said:
Autofaux said:
It's a bull mastiff. Why was it inside with a nine year old child in the first place?
Basically this. While the attack could have been entirely coincidental, having a dog like that around a 9-year old is probably not the best idea.

I'm full-grown and I'm nervous around dogs that physically imposing.
This also, I hate dogs.

killgannon

Jan 19, 2009
This is ridiculous, if the girl had been attacked in a park walking a real dog which was barking the story would be about the owners raising a vicious dog and not training it properly. Instead the little girl was playing a game so therefore any responsibility on behalf of the owners or the girl's parents is immediately cast aside and the media's currently favourite scapegoat is wheeled out once again. Either that or the parents are looking for a payout from the big corporation who made the game, neither would surprise me to be honest.

At the end of the day I've played Nintendogs around plenty of real life dogs and never once has the in-game barking so much as piqued their interest let alone caused one to go into a frenzy and attack the nearest person.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
JeanLuc761 said:
Autofaux said:
Basically this. While the attack could have been entirely coincidental, having a dog like that around a 9-year old is probably not the best idea.

I'm full-grown and I'm nervous around dogs that physically imposing.
She's either a dwarf, or that's a shop, 'cos bull mastiff's don't get that big. They top out at 130lbs and about 27" high.

SweetxVicious

Aug 2, 2010
ReaperzXIII said:
If what people say about Bull Mastiffs are true then it is probable that the sound of another dog in its territory spurred it to attack but for some reason I bet the dog ran to the sofa barking the girl got annoyed by the sound of the dog barking and kicked it to go away thus spurring the dog to attack her, also where were the parents to stop that thing.
I definitely agree with this theory, makes a lot more sense than "dog heard barking, dog attacked kid." And the wikipedia article on Bull Mastiffs is right - a family friend I know has a huge Bull Mastiff mix, the dog is literally the size of a small horse, but he wouldn't hurt a fly as long as the owner made it clear that the person or thing approaching the property wasn't a threat. They really are docile, they like to play, and they aren't violent by nature. Protective, yes, but they won't snap for no reason, unless (like other said) they were abused in the past, which is true of ANY dog, not just big ones.
I can definitely see the girl getting annoyed and kicking the dog, though. Kids do that, I've seen my cousin do that to my dog and the dog got pissed, but she was trained well enough to know to not bite my cousin in retaliation; all she did was growl a little. Not saying that that's definitely what happened, but it's a huge possibility.
Last point: people need to train their dogs. And keep an eye on them. And stop being idiotic and blaming video games for EVERYTHING, if there was even a TRACE of the presence of a video game involved in an "accidental" or "violent" case.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
How do I say this. "IF" the nine year old child had a real puppy in her hands and it barked, it would be the parents fault, who bought the puppy in the first place, and not the man who doesn't know how to properly train their bull mastiff? Look regardless whether or not the dog she was playing with was real, there should of been no reason at all for the dog to attack if it was trained well. To me, this screams of a man who did not socialize its animal at all to other people or dogs and thus it seems like it can become violent very easily.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
voorhees123 said:
imnotparanoid said:
voorhees123 said:
Flimsii said:
thats why im a cat person :p.
Isnt it weird that it seems that cats get away with biting and scratching a human where as dogs are not? lol
Its beacuse theyre adorable.
Cats hate you, they only come to you when they want love or food. Then they scratch out your eyes. Dogs show unconditional love, follow you regardless of where you go and what you do. They scratch or bite and you put them down. If we based this same rule on family 70% of the population would be dead. lol
Not any cat i ever met, thay love people, dogs, I have been attacked several times by differant dogs, and I find the whole unconditional love annoying as hell when they wont leave you alone.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
And they say journalism is dead, how could they with journalistic gems like this.....

Really I don't know why people read these stupid rags anymore. You have a better chance of getting investigative and balanced news reporting from your hair dresser, etc, than that from these wastes of paper. TV news reporting is not much better either.
Hmm, maybe trolls have been around a lot longer than the internet.

Yeah, this Daily Mail article is a troll piece, they aren't stimulating meaningful discourse, they're just stirring up shit to get attention.

LocoRocoPandaCookie

Sep 27, 2010
Who the hell has a mastiff near a little girl? Oh well it's from the bloody Daily Mail and they can't be trusted with shite. Much like most UK newspapers. ¬¬ I should know...I have to read them lol.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
chenry said:
Autofaux said:
This incident isn't a problem with the breed, it's a problem with that specific dog and owner.
Very much so, I agree.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Fuck...
NOT.
THIS.
SHIT.
AGAIN.

I WISH people, especially the media, would stop blaming things on video gaming, when there are other, higher-ranking things related to this.
Dog = FUCKING MASSIVE. Problem 1
Dog = NOT TRAINED AROUND LITTLE KIDS. Problem 2
Parents = NOT WILLING TO TAKE BLAME. Problem 3 (the major one, because that proves the parents are afraid of responsibility)

Ta-DAH.
3 larger problems found.
Anyone wish to contribute to this list?

EDIT: To the 6 or so people so far that wave quoted me, thank you, especially the one that said 'Couldn't have put it better myself' (or something very much like that)

Now, can you please not quote me? Logging on to see that 2 more people quoting me is nice, but on the same topic?
Jeez, it's like the quote button's broken people's minds and MADE them quote me.
In case you didn't notice, I don't like attention.
NOT.
AT.
ALL.
Fine, we wont quote you.

I would loved to see an evil man with top hat and 'stache outside the window rubbing his hands and going "yes yes, dog. Attack that girl"

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
It's sad, but far from Nintendo's fault. My mother-in-law has a ringtone of barking dogs. That probably would have triggered the dog too.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
In case you didn't notice, I don't like attention.
NOT.
AT.
ALL.
Then whats with the caps lock?

What do you expect people its the daily mail. I'm what you might call a dumb fat yank and even I know of their bullshit tendencies.

Corporal Bill

Jun 23, 2010
Yes yes yes yes yes yes YES!

This is the only video game blame thats justified, my dogs hears another dog on the tv or ds or anything she starts to bark alot, maybe this is similer just more violent.

My dogs a Poodle if you are wondering