No Dedicated Servers for Modern Warfare 2 PC, Fans Freak Out

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Paragon Fury said:
Though I could do it myself, I'd prefer you do it, just to prove a point.

Name every stock map that comes with CS:S.

Now, how many of them are being played? Full or near-full servers?

Multiple servers? Don't have stupid (read: Not changed or modified, except for time) rules?

Yeah, I thought so.
While I have no idea what the stock maps are at CSS I know I could supply you with a list of servers that runs no mods that change a lot of gameplay. I assume dust is stock enough and I know it's on the rotation. It's 60 man servers incidentally with 2 weapon restrictions as far as I can tell, what with me not being fluent in CSS lingo. No swearing, no bunny hopping. ATM it's half full, but half the community is having fun in TF2 atm so that will change later.

Edit: I don't know the exact rotation on those servers by the way, but I do know that they change regularly as to keep the servers fresh. There are a core of permanent maps (dust probably being one) and half a rotation of changing maps, decided by voting by the players on the server. Do that with a MM system.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
The game will have dedicated servers hosted by IW itself. The issue is that people will not be able to have private servers. It will be closer to Resistance 2 than something like Halo which is a p2p based system.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
L4D matchmaking sucked balls... but I expect this to do better.
No user created Mods? WHUT?

teh_gunslinger

Dec 6, 2007
shadow skill said:
The game will have dedicated servers hosted by IW itself. The issue is that people will not be able to have private servers. It will be closer to Resistance 2 than something like Halo which is a p2p based system.
These are not the dedicated servers we are looking for. :p

DeadRow

Evil Ghandi :3
Jun 15, 2007
elvor0 said:
DeadRow said:
I take it means that it will work like the 360 matchmaking/DoW2/etc one of the player's matches will play Host and we connect to that? If so then its very disappoint news for me. If it stays like this I, sadly, won't/can't get CoD6.

Not because I hate the thought of non-dedicated servers, but simply because for some annoying reason I cannot connect directly to other machines due to NAT issues, I have tried port forwarding etc yet my NAT continues to hold as tight as a nun's legs. Reason why I couldn't play CoD5's Co-Op mode but could play regular Multiplayer :(

/DeadRow
I suspect you may well have already tried this, but have you tried killing your anti virus completely via task manager or whatever, and trying it? I had issues with any EA game with Mcafe, even if I disabled all firewalls and stuff, I had to end it with task manager to connect.
Tried and to no avail. I, obviously, understand that this is probably problem isolated to me and that a change of router might with a better admin interface then my current one. But I'm not prepared to fork out more money for a new router when all-in-all it works decently.

I guess I'll just have to see what happens.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
teh_gunslinger said:
shadow skill said:
These are not the dedicated servers we are looking for. :p
I know I'm just pointing out that this will not be like Halo regardless. I would love this on console shooters and fighting games. Guys if you think FPS' need dedicated servers fighting games need them 10billion times more.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Wow. No offense, but this really only helps to reinforce the whole PC stereotype.
WlknCntrdiction said:
A console gamer wouldn't know the first thing about troubleshooting, because they want it nice and simple, and dumb.
This doesn't help.
MM has it's flaws, but Mr. Funk has a point. Try it. If it turns out to be the death of all video games (which it probably won't, given that consoles use it and we all have fun, too), then you can all say, "We told you so."

WlknCntrdiction

May 8, 2008
ygetoff said:
Wow. No offense, but this really only helps to reinforce the whole PC stereotype.
WlknCntrdiction said:
A console gamer wouldn't know the first thing about troubleshooting, because they want it nice and simple, and dumb.
This doesn't help.
MM has it's flaws, but Mr. Funk has a point. Try it. If it turns out to be the death of all video games (which it probably won't, given that consoles use it and we all have fun, too), then you can all say, "We told you so."
Ok, maybe the way I put across my point was abit tactless, though the point still stands. I'm going to assume you're a PC gamer here. Anyone else on this forum,(including you)if you were to get some of your friends who played on consoles and sat them down at your gaming PC, put in a game, they rn it and then an error comes up, how many of them would stay to work the problems out? When the same game is sitting there right next to them and can just be put in their 360/PS3 and work straight away? Not many, if any would know(or care to know)how to troubleshoot to make the game work, they want it(like I said)"nice, simple and(maybe you can leave this bit out)dumb".

teh_gunslinger

Dec 6, 2007
ygetoff said:
WlknCntrdiction said:
This doesn't help.
No, he has no point I think. Why down grade to a lame system and then wait for it to fail? Why implement it in the first place. He would have a point if it was a better system. It is genuinely not. Dedicated servers will beat MM and private matches any time when it comes to creating communities and playing with people you like. I don't need to bloat my Steam friends list just to find my regular playing friends. I just hit the favourite button in the server list and log on to the server I want. There is always some guys around I know.

teh_gunslinger

Dec 6, 2007
WlknCntrdiction said:
ygetoff said:
WlknCntrdiction said:
This doesn't help.

Ok, maybe the way I put across my point was abit tactless the point still stands. I'm going to assume you're a PC gamer here. Anyone else on this forum,(including you)if you were to get some of your friends who played on consoles and sat them down at your gaming PC, put in a game, they rn it and then an error comes up, how many of them would stay to work the problems out? When the same game is sitting there right next to them and can just be put in their 360/PS3 and work straight away? Not many, if any would know(or care to know)how to troubleshoot to make the game work, they want it(like I said)"nice, simple and(maybe you can leave this bit out)dumb".
This brings up a point I've thought about quite a bit. When my PC craps out or a game doesn't work I can usually fix it. If a game wont run on my PS3 I'm fucked. I have no control.

Pigletdude

Sep 13, 2008
Kalezian said:
Pigletdude said:
Kalezian said:
Pigletdude said:
No I'm not feeling like I'm in a "little special club of special kids", I genuinely bloody prefer dedicated servers, after playing the likes of DoW 2 mess of a matchmaking and all those games with quickmatches which screw me over.
I'm just more inclined to the manual, "do it yourself" ethos, accessible is one thing, but taking away choice is another thing I'm not loving, if we can have dedicated servers, but the devs can't be arsed to change one friggin thing for the PC port then I deserve to be pissed off.
so........the PC version deserves to be better than the 360 and ps3 versions, right, after they said they are treating MW2 as an equal on all platforms, the pc version obviously needs to have something the other ones dont.

am I hitting the point here? if not I could go on.....

Im tired of the PC gamers "awww, you play on a console? how cute." mentality, I play console games because I dotn feel like optimizing my computer to get a viable frame-rate, I play consoles simply because jumping into a server on most PC games results in you getting booted because you are not a regular player there, therefor don't have a right to be there. Modern Warfare for the consoles runs possibly better than the PC version for one simple reason, you get everything you need with it. Sure you might not get modded servers, but playing "cops and robbers" gets old, fast. Also, if PC's are better, then why is a big fuss being made about dropping dedicated servers? I mean, the console versions never had them, and look how well they do.

only reasoning I can think of is that their internet connections suck, in that case: console > pc.
The reasoning I SEE, is that it was enabled in the first game so there is little or no reason not to include it in the second.

Oh and matey, Xbox live and PSN both run off the "internets", ya know ? Coz they also run off your modem/ wireless adapter, sorry but that ignorance pisses me off.
why yes, they do, however atleast the 360 requires a set ammount of bandwidth to allow you to play games online, not sure how PSN does that. The point is that there shouldnt be anyone mad about this, if thats the case where is the angry mob with their pitchforks going after ODST?

sure there isnt a reason why it shouldnt be in this one, but then again IW decided to take it out to make it more accessible.

I love how gamers like to think they can boss game developers around, its like me changing my avatar to a puppy and people getting mad because its no longer a bunny, and yes, think about that for a second, yes, its just as stupid as people getting mad about a feature getting removed from a game.

also, Im not your matey.
We pay to play their games, If they don't feel the need to please a dedicated fanbase of the original CoD 4 PC players by simply keeping dedicated servers like in the original, then we should damn well seek its inclusion. Plus with your awesome logic, we also have the right to COMPLAIN if the "dev bosses" have the right to shape a game which is meant to please its CUSTOMERS.

Oh and when i say "matey" I don't mean in a "lets be best friends" way, my colloquialism leave much to be desired in text.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
WlknCntrdiction said:
ygetoff said:
WlknCntrdiction said:
This doesn't help.
Ok, maybe the way I put across my point was abit tactless, though the point still stands. I'm going to assume you're a PC gamer here. Anyone else on this forum,(including you)if you were to get some of your friends who played on consoles and sat them down at your gaming PC, put in a game, they rn it and then an error comes up, how many of them would stay to work the problems out? When the same game is sitting there right next to them and can just be put in their 360/PS3 and work straight away? Not many, if any would know(or care to know)how to troubleshoot to make the game work, they want it(like I said)"nice, simple and(maybe you can leave this bit out)dumb".
OK... uh, excuse me for saying this, but I would also just use the console. I do use a PC a lot, but I try to keep my genres on separate machines. Shooters on my 360 (I can't use a keyboard), and RTS/strategy on PC. I suspect that one of the reasons (besides the aforementioned keyboard deficiency) is that I don't see the need to spend extra time and effort on the same experience that I can get on a console (mods aside, of course).

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
teh_gunslinger said:
ygetoff said:
WlknCntrdiction said:
This doesn't help.
No, he has no point I think. Why down grade to a lame system and then wait for it to fail? Why implement it in the first place. He would have a point if it was a better system. It is genuinely not. Dedicated servers will beat MM and private matches any time when it comes to creating communities and playing with people you like. I don't need to bloat my Steam friends list just to find my regular playing friends. I just hit the favourite button in the server list and log on to the server I want. There is always some guys around I know.
What if it doesn't fail? Like I said before, it works just fine on consoles.

mdk31

Apr 2, 2009
Agrael said:
..I just cancelled my preorder btw.
Yeah, thousands have. It's pretty awesome.

ygetoff said:
teh_gunslinger said:
ygetoff said:
WlknCntrdiction said:
This doesn't help.
Console gamers and PC gamers are fundamentally different. If I wanted to play a console game, I'd get a console. I LIKE choice.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
This IS THE MOST LAZY PIECE OF RUBBISH IVE EVER HEARD.
For newbies who find the server list too difficult to use or people who don't understand lists add a quick-play button that picks a server for them.
For me that match making system is the thing i hate most about console fps it removes a lot of choice from my hands.
What if i don't like a map and end up in a server that has it on repeat 24/7. It doesn't make anything easier for me it adds time and effort.
Also no mods:
No more interesting changes to game modes, no personal maps etc.
Especially no jump mod which is a personal favourite.

Anyway this looks like a company desperately looking to cut corners to meet a deadline.(i love cod 2 and cod 4 and i've been looking forward to this game since it was announced)

WlknCntrdiction

May 8, 2008
ygetoff said:
WlknCntrdiction said:
ygetoff said:
WlknCntrdiction said:
This doesn't help.
OK... uh, excuse me for saying this, but I would also just use the console. I do use a PC a lot, but I try to keep my genres on separate machines. Shooters on my 360 (I can't use a keyboard), and RTS/strategy on PC. I suspect that one of the reasons (besides the aforementioned keyboard deficiency) is that I don't see the need to spend extra time and effort on the same experience that I can get on a console (mods aside, of course).
I guess it's upto you at the end of the day but I think that's personally silly. Not to mention I have a 360 wireless controller with my PC so I can use a controller when I want when the keyboard controls are pissing me off, atm I'm playing GTA4 with controller, Batman: AA with keyboard, Fallout 3 with keyboard and Dark Sector with controller. And before you ask what I use my 360 for if I have a controller attached, I use it to play games that aren't coming out on the PC, like Brutal Legend, PC games are just better on the PC, that is a fact, if you can't get your head around troubleshooting and maintaining the game and your PC then that's your own fault, not the games. PC games have more options, better graphics, etc. I can understand why PC gamers can come off as elitest(I know I am right now)but it's not without merit, the general population and your average console gamer can't hack or handle what the PC can offer because(like others said)it can come off as intimidating, rightly so, when I first started out it was(all of 9 months ago:p)but I've gotten used to it. I'm still learning things now, you never stop learning.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
ygetoff said:
Two problems with that. Firstly, very similar systems has already been done and failed quite miserably, and nothing IW said so far has really distinguished IWNET to the systems that failed before. You may be willing to waste a few dozen hours and 60 bucks for a system that experimental data suggests strongly will suck, but I don't. Secondly, if you haven't noticed, a lot of the complaints here is precisely the fact that we are forced to take the console system that we don't like. It might work fine with consoles, but it doesn't work fine with the PC customers, which is why we want our option back.

By all mean, go ahead and add the console style system onto the game; just don't force us to use it. It's not like we're asking IW to re-do parts of the game, just copy whatever they did for MW and paste that thing into MW2.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Compatriot Block said:
Lovely. Gotta be honest, no one really feels for you guys when this is the general response.

I like matchmaking, honestly. Sure, it's nice being able to play with friends on demand, but I can always invite them to a party before we start searching. Takes, what, 30 seconds?
And when shit like this happens, PC gamers are meant to smile and nod or something?

Being nice gets nothing.