No Dedicated Servers for Modern Warfare 2 PC, Fans Freak Out

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
One more example of developers catering to the lowest common denominator. It really is pathetic.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
The Eupho Guy said:
Kalezian said:
Dedicated Servers = less ping! : Yes, they do, Im not going to lie about that as I even search for low ping servers in every game I play.
Counter-Point Internet Connections : If your afraid of not having a good connection, shouldnt you get a better ISP or even a higher bandwidth? Even with a eight-meg. connection I still have good pings on 87% of all servers I search for. And with/if this game uses the CoD4 matchmaking, it will always choose the person that can continue the match best, so yet again, Im not seeing why this is a big deal.
OBJECTION!
How about those that want to play MW2 outside of America, hm? If the MW2 servers are only based in America and/or Europe, then what about gamers like me, who live in Australia, where eight meg connections are a pipe dream? Are we supposed to just suck it up and pay money for a short single player campaign and badly laggy online? No thanks.
I have 15down 1up as a cap and reach speeds of 14.5down and 0.95up and I'll still see a difference between p2p games and dedicated game. There is even a bunch of servers I found in Seattle for MW1 where I get a ping of 30 or less. I'll never see those speeds with a p2p matchmaking game EVER.

Also it costs what $40 US a month to get a 7Mbps connection in the USA (last I looked)... might as well ask your ISP how far they want you to bend over while they are raping you. So that connection at that speed is going to cost a player $480 US a year so that they can try to get a better online experience with an under-performing p2p system? (I pay less CDN per year for my connection)

In the end you know what the funny part is even if I had a 50down a 1up and playing with 9 other people with 5Mbps and 1up it wouldn't make even a slight difference because who ever happens to be hosting the session is still locked at a 1up bandwidth and as a server that is what really matters anyways. The best servers have connections speed higher than 1up and no one playing at home is going to pay for business level connection speeds.

I'm pretty sure people in Australia are not getting a full 1up either or in a lot of other countries.

Sep 9, 2007
Izerous said:
The Eupho Guy said:
Kalezian said:
Dedicated Servers = less ping! : Yes, they do, Im not going to lie about that as I even search for low ping servers in every game I play.
Counter-Point Internet Connections : If your afraid of not having a good connection, shouldnt you get a better ISP or even a higher bandwidth? Even with a eight-meg. connection I still have good pings on 87% of all servers I search for. And with/if this game uses the CoD4 matchmaking, it will always choose the person that can continue the match best, so yet again, Im not seeing why this is a big deal.
OBJECTION!
How about those that want to play MW2 outside of America, hm? If the MW2 servers are only based in America and/or Europe, then what about gamers like me, who live in Australia, where eight meg connections are a pipe dream? Are we supposed to just suck it up and pay money for a short single player campaign and badly laggy online? No thanks.
I have 15down 1up as a cap and reach speeds of 14.5down and 0.95up and I'll still see a difference between p2p games and dedicated game. There is even a bunch of servers I found in Seattle for MW1 where I get a ping of 30 or less. I'll never see those speeds with a p2p matchmaking game EVER.

Also it costs what $40 US a month to get a 7Mbps connection in the USA (last I looked)... might as well ask your ISP how far they want you to bend over while they are raping you. So that connection at that speed is going to cost a player $480 US a year so that they can try to get a better online experience with an under-performing p2p system? (I pay less CDN per year for my connection)

In the end you know what the funny part is even if I had a 50down a 1up and playing with 9 other people with 5Mbps and 1up it wouldn't make even a slight difference because who ever happens to be hosting the session is still locked at a 1up bandwidth and as a server that is what really matters anyways. The best servers have connections speed higher than 1up and no one playing at home is going to pay for business level connection speeds.

I'm pretty sure people in Australia are not getting a full 1up either or in a lot of other countries.
Good for you. Mine is capped at 1.5 down and 256 kbps up. How do you think I feel?

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
The Eupho Guy said:
Izerous said:
The Eupho Guy said:
Kalezian said:
OBJECTION!

Good for you. Mine is capped at 1.5 down and 256 kbps up. How do you think I feel?
What I was trying to get at is how much people are going to suffer. I get off easy and I'm still complaining that a move to p2p is a bad move, and eve spending $500 a year for your internet connection isn't going to get you the performance of a dedicate server.

I honestly feel bad for you being on a connection like that and I mean it honestly, however it shouldn't have meant that you had to suffer with reduced game play tech if they kept the true dedicated servers.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
Chipperz said:
Zac_Dai said:
If you can't use a server browser you probably shouldn't even be using a PC.
And responses like this is why it's very, very hard to feel sorry for PC gamers. I gave up trying when they start trying to tell me that console gaming is a "second-rate experience". Rather have twelve-year old screechers than elitist cunts, myself.

I think this sums up how I feel completely.

Why do PC gamers ALWAYS whine about pretty much everything if they don't get what they want?

Who really cares that it's matchmaking? Matchmaking is perfectly fine. It stops people from getting completely pro at one map and one map only. I think it's a good plan.
If matchmaking is fine why is it that I almost always seem to end up in terrible games whenever I use matchmaking systems? It couldn't be because the algorithm for choosing a game that the machine uses is not so great could it?

Why do ignorant people always claim that taking away control increases accessibility when the exact opposite is true?
I never said it was incresing accessibility, so stop putting words in my mouth.

In any case, I prefer matchmaking. It stops you from playing with the same people repeatedly and just farming your experience points completely.

If you don't like it, don't buy the game. Simple as that.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
Chipperz said:
Zac_Dai said:
And responses like this is why it's very, very hard to feel sorry for PC gamers. I gave up trying when they start trying to tell me that console gaming is a "second-rate experience". Rather have twelve-year old screechers than elitist cunts, myself.

Why do PC gamers ALWAYS whine about pretty much everything if they don't get what they want?

Who really cares that it's matchmaking? Matchmaking is perfectly fine. It stops people from getting completely pro at one map and one map only. I think it's a good plan.
If matchmaking is fine why is it that I almost always seem to end up in terrible games whenever I use matchmaking systems? It couldn't be because the algorithm for choosing a game that the machine uses is not so great could it?

Why do ignorant people always claim that taking away control increases accessibility when the exact opposite is true?

In any case, I prefer matchmaking. It stops you from playing with the same people repeatedly and just farming your experience points completely.

That is why people farmed xp in COD 4, and Halo 3 etc. It's not particularly hard to do this kind of thing if you have friends who join you in a ranked game. Lastly did I say you talked about accessibility? The article poster however did. Furthermore I only made that statement in reply to your post to demonstrate how idiotic your "Why do PC gamers ALWAYS whine about pretty much everything if they don't get what they want?" question was and still is in the context of this discussion. If you want to prevent XP farming on private servers you just don't let people gain XP if they are not connected to an official server! Even then people will still do it. As I pointed out earlier in this post MM does fuck all to prevent that.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
Chipperz said:
Zac_Dai said:

That is why people farmed xp in COD 4, and Halo 3 etc. It's not particularly hard to do this kind of thing if you have friends who join you in a ranked game. Lastly did I say you talked about accessibility? The article poster however did. Furthermore I only made that statement in reply to your post to demonstrate how idiotic your "Why do PC gamers ALWAYS whine about pretty much everything if they don't get what they want?" question was and still is in the context of this discussion. If you want to prevent XP farming on private servers you just don't let people gain XP if they are not connected to an official server! Even then people will still do it. As I pointed out earlier in this post MM does fuck all to prevent that.
If they stopped people gaining XP unless they were on an "official server", everyone would complain about it. Matchmaking isn't perfect, I never said it was. It's definitely the best thing possible, considering that the alternative is having people on servers which give 3000 times the amount of experience and they level up to the max in less than a day.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
No_Remainders said:
Please explain why people who want to do this should be stopped from doing so.

As as you're against "playing with the same people repeatedly" I assume you have absolutely no one you play with regularly, friends or otherwise. You see someone you've seen before in the player list, you leave, right?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
kibayasu said:
As as you're against "playing with the same people repeatedly" I assume you have absolutely no one you play with regularly, friends or otherwise. You see someone you've seen before in the player list, you leave, right?
On the contrary, I play with friends quite a bit on xbox live. Why should people be allowed to farm exp? It makes it unfair on people who play properly. I play with friends, always on the same team as them, and none of us are exactly "pro". I'm halfway decent, but we play for a thing called "fun". When did gaming stop being about enjoying yourself and start being about being the best possible player?

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
Chipperz said:
Zac_Dai said:

If they stopped people gaining XP unless they were on an "official server", everyone would complain about it. Matchmaking isn't perfect, I never said it was. It's definitely the best thing possible, considering that the alternative is having people on servers which give 3000 times the amount of experience and they level up to the max in less than a day.
If memory serves in COD 4 on console when you play a private match you don't get XP. IE when you are not connected to IW's stat tracking server you don't get XP. MM in and of itself has NOTHING to do with preventing XP farming in any case because all you have to do is not award points if you are not connected to the stat tracking server(s).

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
It's a wonder to me how they can't include BOTH. Really, why? Including both would make both the newcomers and the veterans happy.
Besides, how is browsing through a server list hard?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
Chipperz said:
Zac_Dai said:

If memory serves in COD 4 on console when you play a private match you don't get XP. IE when you are not connected to IW's stat tracking server you don't get XP. MM in and of itself has NOTHING to do with preventing XP farming in any case because all you have to do is not award points if you are not connected to the stat tracking server(s).
Ok. Obviously you're just going to continuously try to slate MM as much as you can because you, like most PC gamer here, can't possibly see that no matter how much you cry about it, it won't change. Seriously. I'd be willing to bet that IW will probably say "Yeah, f'koff that way, it's staying."

Why can't you understand that if you don't like something, you don't HAVE to buy it?

Nobody is forcing you to buy it. Either stop complaining and live with it, or stop complaining and don't buy the game.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
Chipperz said:
Zac_Dai said:

XP farming isn't that common either. Look at BF2, MW1 and alike. Dedicated servers, user servers, offical servers and ranked servers. None of them servers has custom XP setting that let's you gain 3k the normal xp or so. The system works!

They can have matchmaking sure. But make it a bloody option. The serverlist system IS better. Look at L4D. It's a bloody lagfest if you are unlucky (which you often are). It'd be A LOT better if one could choose a good server on his own. Works great in any other game.

Also, in L4D, you end up looking at the searching text... waiting, waiting and NOTHING! You end up in your own lobby waiting for others. It can take you bloody 20 mins to get to play compared to 15 secs.

Why fuck about with something that is... I'd say perfect?

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
shadow skill said:
No_Remainders said:
Chipperz said:
Zac_Dai said:

Ok. Obviously you're just going to continuously try to slate MM as much as you can because you, like most PC gamer here, can't possibly see that no matter how much you cry about it, it won't change. Seriously. I'd be willing to bet that IW will probably say "Yeah, f'koff that way, it's staying."

Why can't you understand that if you don't like something, you don't HAVE to buy it?

Nobody is forcing you to buy it. Either stop complaining and live with it, or stop complaining and don't buy the game.
I'm more of a console gamer and I was never planning to buy this game at all. Thank you very much. Obviously you were ignorant of how XP farming might be prevented, hence your contention that MM prevented XP farming. I pointed out how you were wrong, so you have to get on your high horse and tell me to stop "bitching" etc. Why can't you understand that people should speak up when something they don't like is going on, in addition to, in this case, not buying the offending product?

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
No_Remainders said:
Are you a broken record player? Why are you spouting off the same nonsensical thing that every other console gamer that is completely ignorant of how PC gaming works is spouting off? What is the point of even saying "you don't HAVE to buy it". What a completely stupid thing to say.

The point is, this is setting a terrible precedent. If this trend continues, it will be a bad thing for gaming as a whole. You Xbots should be pissed off because you will NEVER have dedicated servers. But, since you don't even know what that means, you're sitting in your corner telling people to stop whining, despite the fact that they have every right to whine as loud as they want as consumers.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
runtheplacered said:
No_Remainders said:
Are you a broken record player? Why are you spouting off the same nonsensical thing that every other console gamer that is completely ignorant of how PC gaming works is spouting off? What is the point of even saying "you don't HAVE to buy it". What a completely stupid thing to say.

The point is, this is setting a terrible precedent. If this trend continues, it will be a bad thing for gaming as a whole. You Xbots should be pissed off because you will NEVER have dedicated servers. But, since you don't even know what that means, you're sitting in your corner telling people to stop whining, despite the fact that they have every right to whine as loud as they want as consumers.
TF2, HL2:DM, HCE. Just a few of the games I play on PC. All of which use dedi servers, so how about fuck off before being (to take a quote from ZP) a presumptuous dickhead that's projecting so hard you could point yourself at a wall and show off powerpoint.

It's not a stupid thing to say. Rather than buy it and complain, why not just leave it? You don't have to buy it. Nobody's forcing you to buy it. It'd only be a stupid thing to say if someone was actually putting a gun to your head and saying "buy the feckin game".

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
No_Remainders said:
runtheplacered said:
No_Remainders said:

TF2, HL2:DM, HCE. Just a few of the games I play on PC. All of which use dedi servers, so how about fuck off before being (to take a quote from ZP) a presumptuous dickhead that's projecting so hard you could point yourself at a wall and show off powerpoint.

It's not a stupid thing to say. Rather than buy it and complain, why not just leave it? You don't have to buy it. Nobody's forcing you to buy it. It'd only be a stupid thing to say if someone was actually putting a gun to your head and saying "buy the feckin game".
I'm not going to buy it, never was mind you, and I'll still complain about the share retardation of the move they are making. Gaming is going down hill... fast. Before you know it you'll only be playing matchmaking games over Windows Live (IF you pay for a Gold account) like a mentally handicapped person. All things that made gaming great (and what it is today) will be forgotten. If it wasn't for mods, I doubt gaming would actually be this popular. CS you guys.

WHY can't they add support for player servers, dedicated servers, ranked servers or whatever to L4D btw? Getting to play a decent game of L4D is a fucking nightmare compared to what it would had been if there was dedicated servers/player servers in a simple list. It's 100% true!

duckfi8

Jan 21, 2009
RockWhore said:
duckfi8 said:
well I did hate how every server was a dumb hardcore server
May I ask, what is "dumb" about a server running Hardcore?
Snipers camping, grenades going off everywhere, if u get shot in the hand your dead should i go on?

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
duckfi8 said:
RockWhore said:
duckfi8 said:
well I did hate how every server was a dumb hardcore server
May I ask, what is "dumb" about a server running Hardcore?
Snipers camping, grenades going off everywhere, if u get shot in the hand your dead should i go on?
I like Hardcore servers because of the speed and intense experience which you don't get otherwise. Oh I'm getting an urge to play UT now btw :p

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
WickedSkin said:
No_Remainders said:
runtheplacered said:
No_Remainders said:

I'm not going to buy it, never was mind you, and I'll still complain about the share retardation of the move they are making. Gaming is going down hill... fast. Before you know it you'll only be playing matchmaking games over Windows Live (IF you pay for a Gold account) like a mentally handicapped person. All things that made gaming great (and what it is today) will be forgotten. If it wasn't for mods, I doubt gaming would actually be this popular. CS you guys.

WHY can't they add support for player servers, dedicated servers, ranked servers or whatever to L4D btw? Getting to play a decent game of L4D is a fucking nightmare compared to what it would had been if there was dedicated servers/player servers in a simple list. It's 100% true!
I get my gold account for 10 quid a year. I don't care paying for 1/5th of hte price of a game to get the best online console service in existance. I can get decent games of L4D whenever I'm bothered to play it.

I can kinda understand people being the slightest bit annoyeed at no mods, but really, live with it is all I'm gonna say. PC gamers have a tendancy to be elitist cunts who care nothing for anyone else because they're so far up their own arse, so no, I'm afraid I have no sympathy whatsoever for any of them.