No Right Answer: Attack on Attack on Titan

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
I felt the same way about this one. First half of the first season is awesome. On the second half it gets obvious "okay, this is gonna drag on..."

coblen

Nov 18, 2009
If you want to see some well done localization I would watch the english dub of FLCL. I remeber reading about how they changed the names of famous japanease bands to english ones and stuff like that. While it is only 6 episodes long it really seems designed to be taken in multiple viewings. The plot doesn't tell you stuff twice, and most of it is inferred instead of told. Most people I knwo who have seen it didn't like it the first time through becuase they didn't get it, but loved it after they watched it a couple times.

El Comandante

Jul 31, 2013
Yeah go for the short ones the rest is mostly garbage. 20 to 30 Episodes at max is a good go. Samurai Champloo, Last Exile, Ninja Scroll and for the sensless but nice to watch violence watch the Hellsing OVAs. I like those because they are short and the stary is mostly good.
Anime-Films:
-Nausicaa
-Prinzessin Mononoke
- jin Roh

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt

The dub is one of the most fowl and vulgar things ever with amazing writing.

Its a Japanese anime that takes inspiration off a old cartoon called Drawn Together.

The way the enemies die is amazing to boot they show a model of it made from clay or such and blow it up.

It uses many styles of animation and is just plain fun.

AY200

Mar 31, 2011
xpost from Facebook comments:
The guy is wrong about 'stealing' fan translations. Translations are derivative of the original copyright, and are automatically the property of the original copyright holder. The only way it would be illegal for a company to use fan translations is if they did not have the permission of the original copyright holder in Japan. That's something that can be straightened out by painless contract modification.

^the above applies to both the United States and Berne convention signatories. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Yes, this means that localization is going to be infinitely simpler for domestic companies that purchase the rights to popular properties. No more paying for translation, just the editorial/beta/copy passes.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
SilverUchiha said:
Suggestions? I've said it before and I'll say it again: Deathnote and Bakuman. Two series made by the same artist/writer duo and both do enough interesting things where they still stand out as some of my favorite anime/manga.
I second Deathnote. It has a great premise, interesting characters, and very very little filler. As I recall, something interesting, relevant, and effecting happens in every episode. It also sidesteps a lot of anime tropes by being about deduction and crime culture.

RC1138

Dec 9, 2009
(Cowboy Bebop) Who said that?!?

Other than that I'd say the Ghost in the Shell series are the next best localized (and from Manga) Anime to date. They sound natural without being over-Americanized and require little to no experience with the source material (perhaps seeing the original film is enough).

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
"Not all anime is bad, just statistically, but I've never seen one that is [good]."

Dan has pretty much summed up my opinion of anime completely.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
Jadwick said:
Top of the line localization?

Space★Dandy

You know, 'cuz basically they wrote both a japanese script and english one at the same time.

Also; I've only watched 4 animoos.

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Space Dandy
Kill La Kill

I am not biased.

DarklordKyo said:
Well, there's Space Dandy. The episodic nature of the series makes it so there's always something happening each episode.
Ninjas.
Just in case you're not aware (considering that you did use the past tense just then) - Space Dandy S2 is already being released, they're ten episodes in, 11 comes out on Sunday. I've been watching anime long enough that I've developed an allergy to dubs even when they're localized well, so I can't report on that, but the anime itself just keeps getting better.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I actually was quite bored watching the Attack on Titan anime, because the pacing felt sooooooo slooooooow. Granted, I've been reading the fan translated manga since it was released, and my not liking the anime probably comes from the transition in medium, where I can consume a chapter in the manga as fast or as slow as I need, while an anime episode is 22 minutes long.

Now, for anime recommendations, I'll repeat what I wrote in the thread;
madwarper said:
Monster - Basically, it's what you get when you turn The Fugitive into an anime and set it in post-Cold War Europe.

Silver Spoon - Agricultural High school anime. Rather informative/educational regarding farming.

iamscottevil

Nov 24, 2009
I really enjoyed Fireball and Fireball Charming. I can't bring myself to sit through most anime, it's so TEDIOUS, but these were short and fun.
Okay, also watched TeamFourStar DBZ Abridged and it was funny like crayon shin chan.
Think I watched Totoro once also, it was cute.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
My problem with recommendations is that I usually see them fansubbed, so I don't know how good the official localization is unless it's really old. Like Macross old.

That said here some that haven't been mentioned in the thread, and none of them have filler shit, they also don't drag on very long, they end:

Rideback

Shura no Toki

Angel Beats

Full Metal Panic

Deadman Wonderland

And then just for shits and giggles:

Bakusetsu Tenshi - Dokuro Chan (it's only 4 episodes, and the only show to truly rival FLCL in the maximum bonkers category).

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I personally like AoT, mostly because the fight scenes are pretty cool, they're giving me that "Shadow of the Collosus" vibe, and also because it's finally a shonen in which I see that the struggle is real. In Naruto/Bleach/One Piece etc. no matter what the bad guy pulls off, I read/watch it with a yawn, because it's just so obvious, that in the end the hero will come out with some kind of hidden super-technique and overcome the odds, and casualties will be reverted/minimal. Not here (at least not all the time). A couple of times, I was really on the edge of my seat, and really wondered if Eren and Co. will get out of the deep shit they're in.

As for the rest, I'm kinda out of the discussion, because a) I try to watch anime with subs instead of dub, and that language/cultural barrier stops me from questioning names like "3D Maneuvering Gear", and b) even when I'm watching something with a dub, due to being a non-native English speaker, a lot of abnormalities and badly written/spoken lines just go past without me even noticing them (for real. Someone had to point out for me things like "Aygent Nahmen Jayden, Effbeeaye" or "Metal Bawkses", because I seriously didn't notice anything wrong with them at first).

That being said... I honestly believe that English dub of Danganronpa is better than the original Japanese. I read that people are pissed somewhat about "Genocider Syo" becoming "Genocide Jack", but honestly I just don't see why (perhaps it's the non-native speaker thing again). It just sounds better in my head. And then there's the case of voice acting. Sure, Kyoko and Sakura are pretty flat, and Makoto is meh, but in my opinion Byakuya, Celeste, Hina, Toko, Monokuma etc are much better in English version. Top prize goes to Hiro though. In original he looked, acted and sounded like a moron (which he was), plain and simple. His english voice actor though gave him that "Clueless Stoner" vibe which I really dig, and even made me like that idiot to some degree.

And now excuse me, while I'll scan this comment section is search for something interesting to watch. After finishing Psycho Pass, my "anime to watch" list has concluded, and I had a drought for a couple of months in this department.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Cowboy Be.... shoot

I'll agree with some of the Naruto sentiments. It's the longest running Anime that I've kept watching and still do. But the best example was the last episode that just aired was AWESOME... and now they're going back to Fillers. GAH.

Honestly, I wonder if going back old school would be better? Robotech? The Ninja Scroll series was decent. Bubblegum Crisis? SOmeone already mentioned Ghost in the Shell.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Pedro_chileno said:
holy crap, the song fits the intro !!!
The song fits EVERYTHING! Also, Chris basically threw a piano at Dan ala Superman Returns to persuade him to shove the AOT song into this episode. So there's that.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
MikeTheMonk said:
I will say that I'm a HUGE fan of Attack on Titan. I greatly enjoyed the anime and make a point to purchase the books when they come out. But when I saw this video, I was actually excited to see what these guys have to say. Because there are some SERIOUS problems with the manga (one thing that always distracts me is just how ugly some of the art can be. Peoples' faces look like they're always caught in mid-scream even when they shouldn't be. And the sooner the most recent arc in the manga gets finished, the better).

But this video....how much time do they actually spend discussing "Attack on Titan" and not "this is a microcosm for what is wrong with anime/manga as a whole"? I want to see what they think about characterization, the art style, the plot, things that are specific to the series itself. When they were talking about how the anime has to cram a lot of characters that they want us to care about in the second half, that was something I found interesting and wanted to hear expanded on. But that point gets dropped before they go anywhere with it.

I get that neither of the two guys are anime fans, that's perfectly fine. I'm all for hearing them discuss But if you're video is going to be discussing the flaws and shortcomings of a series, I would hope that you actually stick with that premise for the entire video.

EDIT: Also, if you want a great anime series: Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, and Romeo X Juliet. I happily recommend all three.
We actually filmed twice the footage shown here where I got into it with the later parts of the show, specifically how Eren, Mikasa, and Armin had fairly solid characterizations and backstories but none of the other characters did, forcing the show and manga to surprise us with characters doing something and then having to go back and explain why that was a surprise with a backstory to that character. Overall it just feels like Lost all over again: a great premise with a good bit of mystery pissed away on the long game by refusing to answer questions, creating more questions, and resolving some things without any weight.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Rowan93 said:
medv4380 said:
Sword Art Online is good.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AHAHA! AHA! Heh.

Okay, sorry, that was mean - it has cool fights and a powerful protagonist, plenty of people have legitimate reason to like that. But I'd rather we not inflict it on people new to anime, because tentacles, incest, Marty Stu, Rapey McRaepfaec, two years' worth flowing endlessly, &c &c.
Then read only the first book. Heck the "incest" thing isn't even what you think because the anime couldn't really fit in a few important parts about the protagonist. Internal narration is hard to fit in with the style they took. It doesn't even technically qualify as incest ether because there is no sex between those characters. The guy views himself as married, and the others are mostly envious.

There was a reason why I mentioned the books multiple times. The reason why key pieces of the books happen to be missing is so that the imaginations of some key demographics can run wild.

Fan Service is bad, but clearly No Right Answer doesn't care about that. After all, one of the redeeming values of Attack on Titan was that the artist isn't over-sexualing any of the female characters. You don't have women with bras for uniforms, and the men and women wear basically the same outfits. If No Right Answer couldn't mention the redeeming qualities of the series then they must cleanly want things without those qualities.

Still, watch No Game No Life. Mantel

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
last good anime that I (as in me, exclusively MY opinion) are: Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill, and Code Geass

but I'm seeing a very obvious problem with your views though because the things that you hate about manga and anime are the things that make a manga/anime. The quick start to get you hooked on the story so that it then tells you what the story is before reaching the climax. A common theme in manga/anime is to at some point have the main character get depressed and mopes around for a while until he, against all odds stands up again better and stronger than ever. Much like Eren with the whole trusting Levi thing and didn't want to fight a friend. These are common themes that specifically the Japanese market enjoys, mostly do to their cultural upbringing and Japan's history as a struggling country striving to make it back against all odds.

think about it this way manga strives on telling a simple story in an overly complex fashion, that's just the way Japan does it; much like here in the western world comic books/movies/series tend to be obsessed with main characters who are orphans :p