No Right Answer: Attack on Attack on Titan

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
You guys didn't have to like Attack on Titan, which I understand... because one of your shirts said "People are entitled to my opinion", but ... I felt somewhat brushed off by how you ranted on the series/manga for a full 6 minutes because of localization.

Not to mention you guys don't like anime in general. It has been like that since your earlier episodes way back.
You're all free to debate and discuss criticisms but all I got from this was "We don't like Attack on Titan because.. pacing. A lot of animes suck, give us nominations on good animes."

Sorry guys but, I didn't like this episode. I'm not even saying this because I love Attack on Titan for I know there's flaws with the series.. but there's a lot to be discussed and none of the actual flaws were discussed. Pacing is a problem in a lot of animes because they cannot speed past their manga partners. So it's not just Attack on Titan with this problem. But above all else, you guys had nothing good to say about the anime or why so many people found it to be popular/amazing. You guys were one sided this episode.
The sad thing is that we went into more detailed criticism of Attack on Titan in the footage we had to cut for time where I also mention how i liked what they did with the first half of the anime, specifically regarding Mikasa and Eren. I think the total runtime for the original cut was closer to 14 minutes, so Dan had to shave some stuff down. That happens a lot when we get into a topic that we're passionate about.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
adzman said:
Pickapok said:
Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo, Ouran High School Host Club, MONSTER
What? All 3 of these are SLOW AS HELL. As much as I love MONSTER there's NO way I would suggest it if some one said FMA was too slow for their liking. And Gankutsuou is pure garbage.

As for my suggestions:
xxxHolic, Kino's Journey (aka Kino no Tabi), Ramen Fighter Miki (aka Muteki Kanban Musume)

They're episodic so you don't have to wait for something to happen. Though Kino's Journey tries very hard to be "artsy" so it may take some getting used to.
He didn't say it had to be fast, just that every episode has a purpose. And almost every episode of Monster serves a purpose. It takes a long time but none of that time is wasted.

And you shut your mouth, Gankutsuou is probably the best adaptation of the original novel that's ever been produced.

Cerebrawl said:
Full Metal Panic
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I can't believe I missed that one. Full Metal Panic is a solid series through and through. Once you are done with that (and Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid), you absolutely need to give Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu? a watch. Takes the premise of the entire series and turns it into a wacky high school comedy and it's one of the funniest things of all time.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
chetoos said:
I saw that Dan watched Fullmetal Alchemist, but that series isn't as good as the other series, fullmetal alchemist brotherhood. It's more loyal to the manga, and the story makes a lot more sense, so it would be a better anime for Dan to watch.
Did you listen to the other problem - incredibly slow story. Brotherhood is terrible for that once the endgame is in play.

Mcoffey said:
Cowboy Beb-

Erm, well I thought Full Metal Alchemist was pretty well localized, but since you already didn't like that... uh...

Yeah I got nothin'.
FMA is way better listening in Japanese and watching the translation.

Also Cowboy Bepop is boring. I have watch them all. I only found 1 episode interesting.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Oh, come on. If you're going to point out that a company that produces manga/anime can't just take someone's localization work can you at least drop a hint that people doing unauthorized translations shouldn't be taking the anime company's work? I mean, how does that not ring hypocrisy alarms when you say one but don't follow up with the other?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Makabriel said:
Cowboy Be.... shoot

I'll agree with some of the Naruto sentiments. It's the longest running Anime that I've kept watching and still do. But the best example was the last episode that just aired was AWESOME... and now they're going back to Fillers. GAH.

Honestly, I wonder if going back old school would be better? Robotech? The Ninja Scroll series was decent. Bubblegum Crisis? SOmeone already mentioned Ghost in the Shell.
Wait, isn't all these repetitive as hell. I mean Ninja Scrolls is just a guy fighting a new thing each time. I saw it as a Ninja Neon Genesis, except with even less story. That's not what they movie just was.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Makabriel said:
Robotech?
As much as I liked it as a little kid... no, just no. The real series is called Superdimensional Fortress Macross, and that recut shit called Robotech is one of the worst examples of localisation ever. See the real show, not the butchered hack version.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
i'm just gonna say this about attack on titan

for a manga that gives you the idea that humanity is under constant attack by titans you sure would love to see titan action wouldn't you?

WELL TOO BAD FOR YOU! 50 chapters of talking 10 of titan action

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Ok. You want an anime that's good? Where things happen and every episode is important? Try monster.
It's 74 episodes, not a single one of which is filler. The pacing is perfect and every single episode has its purpose in telling one of the greatest stories you'll ever witness.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
medv4380 said:
Fan Service is bad, but clearly No Right Answer doesn't care about that. After all, one of the redeeming values of Attack on Titan was that the artist isn't over-sexualing any of the female characters. You don't have women with bras for uniforms, and the men and women wear basically the same outfits. If No Right Answer couldn't mention the redeeming qualities of the series then they must cleanly want things without those qualities.
Yikes! Definitely not what we want taken away from the episode! I'm hugely against fan service for the sole purpose of titillating the lowest-common denominator since I think that can easily be a disservice to the characters and the story. Fan service is something I think should be handled veeeeeeeery carefully.

As for Attack on Titan, you're right, the uniforms look excellent. They didn't stand out as much to me because I kept thinking, "Do Attack on Titan and Shin Megami Tensei IV take place in the same universe?" But the overall character designs, including the Titans, are something I should put in the "done very well" category.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Finally someone said it. I gave Attack on Titan a shot after it was suggested to me by multiple people and I just had to give up. It's so anime-esque. And by that I mean everyone stands around making exaggerated shocked faces and yelling or spending entire episodes repeating themselves over and over. The show was fine when people were getting eaten by Titans, but then it slows to a crawl and I just couldn't take it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Reccomendations? Simple.

Berserk: I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you watch/read one anime/manga in your life, then this is it. The show starts off slow, but when it gets started, it doesn't stop. It's like reading a novel, where every chapter contributes to the plot. It knows how to be deep, philosophical, and symbolic without becoming weighed down by its own themes or becoming pretentious. It's basically the thinking mans Game of Thrones, except with better characters. It's rare to see a story that has tons of action while still remaining intellectually engaging. The Manga is more thoughtful, but the anime may be easier to get into since it skips to the best part of the story after the first episode.

Kino's Journey: A well written female protagonist in an anime? A show that's philosophical but entertaining? If you like the twilight zone then you'll love Kino's Journey. There's no overarching plot, but each episode is well thought out, and while it's no comedy there's a certain sweet dry humor to it. Basically a young woman travels from town to town, and spends 3 days learning about each place.

Berserk: What an emotional roller coaster. Drawing from philosophy, religion, classic literture, and greek tragedy, Berserk is a true masterpiece. Meticulously plotted, it is one of the best combinations of character study and epic plot I've ever seen.

Satoshi Kon: A film director I've heard nothing but good things about, if you want something more serious and psychological. If you want to find great anime you have to venture out there a little more. If all you watch is Naruto, DBZ, and Fullmetal Alchemist then you'll end up with a skewed view of anime.

Berserk: I'm an avid reader and fantasy fan, but I don't exagerate when I claim that Berserk is probably the best fantasy epic I've ever read. And I'm quite well read. The epic scale of Lord of the Rings, the character depth and moral ambiguity of Game of Thrones, and the themes of classic Greek mythology and tragedy come together to create a horror fantasy series that is so much more than the sum of its parts. It's what Game of Thrones should have been. It's what inspired Dark Souls. It's a masterpiece.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm just going to copy & paste my reason to why Cowboy Bebop doesn't count from a different forum....

I have to say the biggest waste of my time is one of my favorites, Cowboy Bebop: The Series. Because if the main plot of the series was Spike versus Vicious then the only episodes that needed to be watched were
05 - Ballad Of Fallen Angels

12 - Jupiter Jazz Part 1
13 - Jupiter Jazz Part 2
25 - The Real Folk Blues Part 1
26 - The Real Folk Blues Part 2
And even then its never explained how Julia fits into why Vicious hates Spike. Though if her story were excluded it becomes more about Vicious being mad that Spike left. With Julia included however certain fans have assumed Julia was originally with Vicious before leaving him for Spike. That assumption however excludes the fact that in 05 Vicious is happy to see a similarity between him & Spike. Only for Spike to deny it angering Vicious who then throws Spike out that window. Or in 26 Spike tells Vicious that Julia is dead & Vicious feels no guilt.
Even worse Faye & Jet never get their own proper sendoffs. They instead have to deal with trying to prevent Spike from going on his suicide mission against Vicious. The series just ends there after that as neither Faye nor Jet were the main focus of the series even though the series didn't have a main focus to begin with.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
Maybe if filler bothers you then try anime movies? Like "Ghost in the Shell" is really good. Was a series, compiled into a few movies. Very good

asako23

Sep 10, 2013
The last episode was clickbait.

I'll just leave that in the room.

As for anime with great dub:

Princess Mononoke
Seriously, Neil Gaiman (The Sandman, American Gods) was the director for the translation.

Baccano! has been mentioned already.
There's also Ghost in the Shell the movie and the Stand Alone Complex. Both have pretty great dub.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
MikeTheMonk said:
I will say that I'm a HUGE fan of Attack on Titan. I greatly enjoyed the anime and make a point to purchase the books when they come out. But when I saw this video, I was actually excited to see what these guys have to say. Because there are some SERIOUS problems with the manga (one thing that always distracts me is just how ugly some of the art can be. Peoples' faces look like they're always caught in mid-scream even when they shouldn't be. And the sooner the most recent arc in the manga gets finished, the better).

But this video....how much time do they actually spend discussing "Attack on Titan" and not "this is a microcosm for what is wrong with anime/manga as a whole"? I want to see what they think about characterization, the art style, the plot, things that are specific to the series itself. When they were talking about how the anime has to cram a lot of characters that they want us to care about in the second half, that was something I found interesting and wanted to hear expanded on. But that point gets dropped before they go anywhere with it.

I get that neither of the two guys are anime fans, that's perfectly fine. I'm all for hearing them discuss But if you're video is going to be discussing the flaws and shortcomings of a series, I would hope that you actually stick with that premise for the entire video.
I agree. While I have my own reasons for not watching Attack on Titan, I didn't even understand yours.

But since you specifically asked, here's my recommendations for anime:

Gundam 00 -- Be warned, Season 2 is kinda a different beast than the first.
Log Horizon (Subtitles)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) 2199
Mazinkaiser

SerithVC

Dec 23, 2011
Angel Beats
Kenichi
Elemental Gelade
Redline (anime movie)
Fairy Tail
Chrome Shelled Regios
Tower of Druaga
The Sacred Blacksmith (though it never really finished but just kinda stopped)
Familiar of Zero
.hack
thats all i can think of at the moment for anime i've watched and enjoyed all the way through

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
RatGouf said:
I'm just going to copy & paste my reason to why Cowboy Bebop doesn't count from a different forum....

I have to say the biggest waste of my time is one of my favorites, Cowboy Bebop: The Series. Because if the main plot of the series was Spike versus Vicious then the only episodes that needed to be watched were
05 - Ballad Of Fallen Angels

12 - Jupiter Jazz Part 1
13 - Jupiter Jazz Part 2
25 - The Real Folk Blues Part 1
26 - The Real Folk Blues Part 2
So I take it you don't like standalone episodes?

Which is kinda strange, because CB really isn't about any overall plot. I don't wanna call it Sienfeldian, but yeah, it's more about the characters than any one particular plot.

And even then its never explained how Julia fits into why Vicious hates Spike. Though if her story were excluded it becomes more about Vicious being mad that Spike left. With Julia included however certain fans have assumed Julia was originally with Vicious before leaving him for Spike. That assumption however excludes the fact that in 05 Vicious is happy to see a similarity between him & Spike. Only for Spike to deny it angering Vicious who then throws Spike out that window. Or in 26 Spike tells Vicious that Julia is dead & Vicious feels no guilt.
He hated Julia for being the reason Spike left.

Even worse Faye & Jet never get their own proper sendoffs. They instead have to deal with trying to prevent Spike from going on his suicide mission against Vicious. The series just ends there after that as neither Faye nor Jet were the main focus of the series even though the series didn't have a main focus to begin with.[/quote]

Because the series was about the Gang, and with Spike dead and Ed and Ein back on Earth, the Gang was irrevocably broken.