No Right Answer: Videogame That Should Be A TV Show The Most

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Mass Effect has a big enough story to adapt well enough to a TV show. Plus there's prequel/side story potential.

As for a repeat, I say go to back to the "Worst Videogame Movie" and try it regularly. Just for fun.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
"...this post Lost World we live in..."

For a moment I though we were talking about Jurassic Park.

Brundlefly

Mar 6, 2011
Starcraft. It's even nicely broken up into three seasons for you. Probably wouldn't bother with Brood War or SC2 though.

Other suggestion would be Syndicate but that would involve more adaptation.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't think Bioshock would make a good TV show. I just don't think the story lends itself to an episodic format.
Mass Effect could work, however the problem I see is that adapting it to television would involve defining Shepard as a character whereas previously Shepard's character was only defined by how the Player played the games.

Incidentally, love the new logo and layout.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Devoneaux said:
Ishal said:
Mass Effect, yes. But I feel like what Chris said about studios knowing what to do with it could be a huge hazard. They might try and make it into something it isn't, or something it shouldn't be.
Well to be fair, so did the people who made the game.

Honestly though, we'll see a Mass Effect movie trilogy and it will be directed by Micheal Bay, and then we will know there is a god and that he hates us.
Well thats the problem when you start a trilogy with Bioware developing it, and end with BioEAre developing it. You may agree with me, or not, but with the way EA is now and the direction they are taking, the old Bioware is gone, never to return. At least not as what it was before.

Honestly it could work, what Chris said about them expanding the arcs of the characters into episodic formats could be great.

Today's episode we have cmdr shepard going down to a planet to rescue a bunch of children being sold into slavery by batarians, his companions are wrex, mordin, and jack. Just have there be different episodes like that scattered throughout a season, they could even exist in a vacuum away from the main plot of the show. But to be honest, I don't care if anything gets made into a TV show.. and I really don't care if it gets made into a movie. I just played Bioshock:Infinte and that experience was better than the last 5 awesome movies I saw in theaters. I just think videogames are more entertaining, and they shouldn't sacrifice what they are only to be adapted to what may be a lower form of entertainment than what they are as videogames.

TV is another matter, but right now there is a big problem with TV. People see shows getting canceled all the time so they refuse to watch the first season and get invested in a show for fear of it being cancelled, and because they do this... guess what? It gets cancelled.

But seriously, Chris, Dan, Kyle. Love you guys, as soon as I saw the Big Daddy I was like "OH THEY'RE TALKING BOUT BIOSHOCK AGAIN!!!" I dig the new logo and layout.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
Mass Effect would be a great show if 1) Shepard was left out of it and 2) it does not rehash the story of the games. The Mass Effect universe is amazing with great, fleshed out worlds and cultures and a huge potential for a variety of great stories. Incidentally this is what I'm hoping for in the next ME game.

Also, I think Fire Emblem would make an amazing anime. Get on it Nintendo.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
geier said:
I'm for Fallout, the whole Fallout universe, not only FO3 (and please never FONV).
But only, when the Ghouls have no major role. We have enough Zomies in the media already.

But when forced to choose between what is given, i would take Bioshock.
the problem with your argument against ghouls is they aren't zombies, sure they look decayed and dessicated but most don't hunger for your flesh and really even feral ghouls don't hunger for flesh per say, they are just animalistic husks of former humans, they have lost their "self" and have reverted back to base instincts. a fair number of key story points rely on ghouls in the Fallout universe and there is a good couple of ghoul followers you can get in all the games.

and really if any of the Fallout Games is MADE FOR TV ready it's gotta be New Vegas, there's enough primary secondary and side stories to delve into they could run that for 5-6 seasons easy

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Huh... well personally I think you guys goofed in choosing games that might work better as movies than ongoing TV series but okay...

Oh, and why can't Chris talk about videogames anymore?

Count_A'ight

Dec 29, 2010
Fallout all the way. The setting/aesthetic/tone is what is key about that world, not the characters, though some are very unique.

Watch the movie Nuka Break and the first season and tell me that would not be totally badass with an expanded budget, though I love the characters of as the creators for Nuka Break really hit the tone PERFECTLY!

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Mr_Terrific said:
Batman Arkham...I mean, they made a show about Superboy and that shit went on for 10 years, so why not Batman?
Basically that would be Batman: The Animated Series. And it was awesome...

OT: Mass Effect all the way. Hell, ME2 is structured exactly like a TV show and easily work in that dynamic.

nondescript

Oct 2, 2009
UberPubert said:
Mass Effect would be almost too easy if it weren't for the alien cast members not being able to look very much like their in-game counterparts. Asari are even the easiest ones and their tentacle heads would still look kind of goofy as just rubber scalps and blue make-up, but almost every other species has an inhuman body type. But as far as the episodic nature and the dialogue scenes go the show practically writes itself, because the games so closely resemble your average sci-fi space opera.

Bioshock is the more intriguing idea but would nearly be impossible to make into a show while maintaining the original game's essence because Jack is such a non-character and the gameplay reflects that in that all he really does for the majority of the game is sneak, scavenge and kill things. BUT I think it could work as a big-budget miniseries that more or less follows the rise and fall of Rapture leading up to just before Jack's arrival through the perspective of a handful of it's citizens, maybe including Ryan, Fontaine, and Tenenbaum.
If it ever happened, I see Mass Effect looking like Stargate, and Bioshock like Grimm. I leave that to you guys whether that's a good or bad thing.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Mass Effect's almost too easy, budget considerations aside. The mission structure already sets things up for episodes and arc, with room to add in new adventures starting the supporting cast. Only real problems come in pissing people off with the various choices to be made from the games. You just know there would be bitching about Kaden vs Ashley and the like.

Bioshock might serve miniseries style. It's biggest problem is not enough material to hold for long, leading to poorly written filler or extensions. I see it like Arrow: primarily told in Rapture's past as flashes from the present as Jack goes through the ruins and seeing how things got there.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Honestly I would of picked Fallout 3 over Bioshock as to me Bioshock seen to have a limited cast in my view when it come to being a TV show.

AS for the request, not too sure. I gonna have to look at past episodes comments that I was quite dissapointed on.
Whenever I see someone suggest Fallout for a TV show I never can quite imagine what type of show it would be, the setting and scenes seem way more suited for a movie (there are pretty decent post apoc movies out there) rather than a show.

To be OT:

As far as Mass Effect goes for some reason I'd like to see it with more of a Stargate SG1 type of feel rather than the usually suggested Startreck vibe. In SG1 you can really get the feeling that these guys are all military types and are out to do a dangerous job while still getting across the character development and backstory of the world. In Startreck it just never seemed like they were actually in the military and there never seemed to be any real danger or sense of doing something important (just my opinion, It might have something to do with the outfits though also I didn't watch much)

Bioshock seems to me like it would make a better movie, especially after seeing Jim's defense of The Wild Wild West which showed you can make crazy steampunk worlds on the bigscreen without the movie being animated.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Assassin's Creed would work better as a TV show because it has more cross-media experience already, with graphic novels and the movies set just before ACII and after Revelations. I don't think Mass Effect or Bioshock would work because a huge part of their stories comes from the player's decisions.
Great idea actually, I never even considered AC.

It already has a deep storyline with a lot of chances for twists and betrayals and the episode structure would be easy as hell to set up with the story of the past assasins (maybe even more than one at a time) running parallel to the modern story (maybe even future stories to spice things up).

Plus the Templars just make such good villains with their limitless power, ruthless tactics, and somewhat understandable goal to try and save humanity from itself through the power of apples.

I really like this idea now that I think about it.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Fallout, Fire Emblem and, Chrono Trigger are the series that I would have picked because

Walking Dead and mad men are two popular shows as such the 50's feel to the Apocalypse would differentiate whist not alienating an audience.

Game of Thrones is a big thing, like a really big thing and this series is RIPE for the twists and turns a T.V. series based off of any of the "Continuities" could yield.

Chrono Trigger, A vaguely Science fiction TV show about traveling through time that goes from mystic fantasy to a post apocalyptic future, all trying to eventualy defeat Lavos. why Because Dr Who is kinda a big thing and Chrono Trigger could provide something close yet unique that the Doctor and friends can not.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Day of the Tentacle. It would be in a somewhat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle format with a main villain (the Tentacles) and each episode would begin with the Tentacle(s) coming up with some dastardly plan to CONQUER THE WORLD, usually by changing history. You then have the three main characters Bernard, Hoagie and Laverne travelling through time in the Chron-o-johns to wherever the Tentacles have changed history, and of course they always come out victorious. It would be educational and exciting. Of course it would have to be a cartoon but all the better, right?

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Eliwood10 said:
Also, I think Fire Emblem would make an amazing anime. Get on it Nintendo.
Nah, a Fire Emblem anime would never work 'cause there's a high chance they wouldn't pair Sully with Kellam and I would be having none of that because together they are both unstoppable and kawaii as ****.

strumbore

Mar 1, 2013
I don't want to watch 30-second ads to see trivial game-talk every god-damned time!
Gaming news and speculation would draw more viewers as a typed column.

sick of this $#*%, didn't even watch.