Notch Challenges Bethesda to Lawsuit Deathmatch

MBergman

Oct 21, 2009
Kragg said:
Traun said:
Andy Chalk said:
Well, Bethesda? What say you?
Considering that they are first class dicks, they'd probably go with it in court.
why would they ever accept this, whatever they do they would lose

option 1. play and lose -> they possibly lose business from the name being used
option 2. play and win -> keep name, "omg they bought better players, boycot !!!11" image dent
option 3. dont play -> tiney image dent, high change of getting name changed
Option 1. I seriously doubt that they'll lose any business, I think people can make out the difference between "Elder Scrolls" and "Scrolls". Besides, nowadays Skyrim is the name everyone knows the next game as.

Option 2. How many people do you actually think will react that way? I they choose to do this, which I doubt but anyways, I would think it to be totally awesome and if they won; kudos to them. If they lost; kudos for doing it.

Option 3. Well, there I think I agree with you. Though the image dent will probably be minimal, since it's just some dude challenging them at a very random thing.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
It would have been awesome if this was face to face at Gamescon, but it's still rather awesome. A good old fashion duel should be pretty fun, but can they stream the battle online?

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Traun said:
[...]
8.Bethesda know Interplay are standing on their last leg and is suing them again hoping to drain their resources in court battle.
I didn't actually believe "hit them in the resource lines" worked IRL before this. o_O

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
This is the best lawsuit ever!!
You just gotta love Notch. I really hope they'll accept, even though I highly doubt it. Still, I'd be surprised if Mojang actually won...

EgonCom

Aug 5, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Notch Challenges Bethesda to Lawsuit Deathmatch

Minecraft [http://minecraft.net/] creator Markus "Notch" Persson wants to settle Bethesda's Scrolls trademark lawsuit the old-fashioned way: Quake 3 Team Deathmatch! (And he's serious, by the way.)
To be honest, after such intruduction I was expecting a little bit more. Something along the line:
If Bethesda wins, then Mojang will change the name of Scrolls to something else.
But if the Mojang would win, then Bethesda would have to to change te name of "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" to something else.
And it all would be decided by Quake 3.
Just think of it. Now THAT would be interesting :D

P.S.
On realism note: I don't expect Bethesda to pick up glove event at current states, and they will probably just go with a court ;/

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
Wait a minute Bethesda is owned by Zenimax and Zenimax bought id Software...
Notch you fool! You've walked right into their trap!

EgonCom

Aug 5, 2009
ShotgunZombie said:
Telefon ringing at ID Software:
John Carmack: Hello?
Pete Hines: Hi John. We have a situation here and I was wondering, could You give us a hand...
This whole thing is just priceless.

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
EgonCom said:
ShotgunZombie said:
Telefon ringing at ID Software:
John Carmack: Hello?
Pete Hines: Hi John. We have a situation here and I was wondering, could You give us a hand...
This whole thing is just priceless.
My thoughts exactly.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
This is how ALL lawsuits should be handled, who can best who in a challenge of the person BEING sued choice. If I were in that position, it would be in TF2, because thats already about silly mercs in silly hats, how about mercs fighting other silly mercs in silly hats legally.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Bethesda's lawyers won't let them, awesome as it is.

It's a funny challenge, notch, but don't let them get away with bullying you when they don't have a case. You need to defeat them and counter-sue for causing you so much trouble to teach them a lesson.

Either way, I hope people decide to pirate them over this bullshit instead of giving them money which basically rewards their lawyers. Hitting them in the wallet is the only thing they understand, and you have to hit them hard so they remember.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Notch "You sir have insulted my honour. I challenge you to a duel!" *glove slap*

I think every court case, war and any other dipute should be solved like this. Also if Bethesda don't accept this challenge let it be forever known that Bethesda are big girl's bloushes, and chicken.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Good job Bethesda. Reeeeeeeeealy good job. No sane person would suffer game even remotely named after your product.

Also, i'm not exactly sure but it seems that there are some titles with words "the", "elder", "III" and "IV". I do hope you'll sue their owners so no more gamers will fry their brains while trying to distinguish those products. No more victims of "the" curse. No more !

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Ah, Notch... he never ceases to bore me. I'd love to see Bethesda do this but I doubt they will because the division of Bethesda that's taking this legal action is really not the game developers(lead by Todd Howard). If it were them it would be more likely but as it is now the legal department will probably consider this a joke and continue with their formalities.