NPC you couldn't bring yourself to kill or mourned the death of

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I have some weird ones, I'll admit.

Dane Vogel, from Saints Row 2. He's pitched as the evil corporate boss who wants to leave the gangs to clean each other up, so he can finish off what's left and sell the area as a new housing project. Yes, this involves killing off the gangs, but to me that's actually sort of a noble goal. The ending to the game involves your character giving them a pretty grisly death.

I'm at a part in GTA 4 where I have to choose between killing two people. They're both gangsters. One has plans to build an empire that improves the quality of life for the slums he's lived in. The other has just come out of jail, after being betrayed by everyone he knew, and has at times been contemplating suicide because of everything that's gone out the window for him. But there's no denying he's a pretty aggressive guy. Neither of them really HATES the other, they're just afraid of each other. I kinda wish I could choose to kill neither, because I know whoever I choose things are just going to get worse.

NatureofaRogue

Nov 11, 2009
I think...I have to go with the cleansing of the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. Mraaj'dar excluded. I just felt like he was sucking up to me once I got my rank high up enough. Granted, I was playing a twisted psychopathic Khajiiti who really only ever cared about his 'Dark Family'. So it was a real kick in the face to have to off people like Ocheeva, and Teinaava. And to have done it all for naught, really sucked...

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
EquinoxETO said:
all the allies in FC2
i really didnt want to kill them
*starts sobbing*

In a desert sub mission for Warren Clyde I ran out of syrettes after he got downed, so I had to "euphanise" him, it took me a good five minutes to be able to pull the trigger...

And in the next mission Josip was too badly wounded that I had to give him an overdose of syrettes/morphine, which earned me the trophy "Good Night Sweet Prince", I've emailed Sony asking them to take that fucking trophy back, I DON'T WANT IT!

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
The Golden Sun said:
Gyrefalcon said:
The vampire in the Dark Brotherhood missions in Oblivion was like one of the ONLY characters that consistently had something nice to say. I couldn't bring myself to do in one of the only people that didn't greet me cheerfully in one sentence and curse me for smelling of death in the next.
YES! He was so nice...for an assassin...Also the Sherrif in Fallout 3, but I didn't kill him, I just had to watch him get murdered before my eyes, totally powerless to help him...
Thats funny no problem on that one but the realy friendly blond woman was hard for me to kill. And the mean kajit was starting to grow on me.

digipinky75910

Aug 25, 2009
Country
us
Feels like writing a lil memorial to lost npcs..

Mia, Alkaid, .hack
The Flute Player, the loyal sage - Zelda Link to the Past
The ending of Zelda : Link's Awakening
Riku Replica, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Greaves from far cry 2. When I had to go kill him I was like "NooO!" But then when I found out I didn't have to I was like "YAAAY!" and then when I found out I really did have to kill him I was like "NOOO!" all over again. I mean all the other guys I shot without hesitation but that guy was awesome.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
In Gta IV:
when Roman died, I felt kinda like Niko did, Really angry and sad... And I felt kinda bad shooting Darko so many times

In Jak 3 or in Jak II when the metal heads invade the city, I always try to protect as much of the civilians as I can from anyone who attacks them, but since there is unlimited attackers, its kinda pointless

SupremeBeingJay

Nov 25, 2009
I'm not sure if it is just a glitch in my copy of the game, but in Assassin's Creed 2 I find that if you poison one guard out of a group of four, any of his three comrades that he takes out while in 'rage mode' don't actually die. They just roll around on the floor and twitch in agony. Ezio can't interact with them to euthanise them, either, so I often feel pretty bad for them.

Also, the guards you stab in the face with the hidden blade. The way they stagger around clutching their bloody face before dying... I can always hear them screaming "Oh God, why? WHY?" in my mind.

Doesn't stop me killing them in their hundreds, but I do sometimes feel a pang of remorse...

Punisher A.J.

Nov 18, 2009
Jenny, Ghost, Carlos, the dog.....s, Sergeant Johnson, and the cube. (on second thought I thought this thread was a joke but there are a ton of characters I felt saddened when they died.... Oh well new game.)

To those who keep mentioning the compainons in dragon age!
I am sad when some of the party members pernamently die in dragon age but then again they are all playable so technically they are not NPC's. Also note for all game (I.E. Auron {such a like character he dies in 2 games})

Also for the NPC characters that did not have to die:
-Carlos and Maria(oh I see what you did there you rasist bastards)- there is nothing surgury and theropy can't fix. XD
-Aisha- shut it ***** we got this.
-The dogs.....s- dogmeat the original... damn you curiosity. when you kill dogmeat you get dog meat, also fable.... free castle? dog? free castle? dog?)

Edit: for those who say that they feel bad for killing the "guard" or "civilian" or "american", if there are two of them one won't be missed.... especially if there is an army.

Jamface

Nov 9, 2009
In GTA4 the mission with Darko... I accidentally executed him first time and was nearly physically sick at what Niko did to him. I actually felt so despicable that i reloaded the mission instantly, and to this day I don't know why I felt so sickened.

Yumi_and_Erea

Nov 11, 2009
Beleza in Skies of Arcadia: Legends. I almost cried at that.

Second place goes to Louis Sera in RE4, pretty much the only ally you have in the game.

Chartor

Dec 4, 2009
Actually, it's relatively easy to save the Sheriff in Fallout 3 if you are quick enough!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Ben Carmine in Gears 2. It was obvious he was going to die, but it was still pretty sad.

Oh, I hate to kill NPCs who are unarmed, surrendering, or too wounded to fight.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
Journeythroughhell said:
It doesn't feel right killing those guys. Especially at one exact moment where you
rappel down to do a knife kill and the dying guy looks at you with the knife in his chest
Being European I actually love that mission because it sticks it to the bastards of the American military (That is, the particular people in the American military that -are- bastards, not that all members of the American military are bastards.), especially Shepherd and all of his Shadow Company troops. Fuck 'em all for betraying TF-141!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
tellmeimaninja said:
I felt bad for Saren in the end of Mass Effect (even though he was essentially pure evil).
I felt extra bad for him since...
...my charm skill was at the max, so I talked him out of being evil and joining the good side...but in his grief he shot himself in the face.

More on topic: Even though you never saw his death, and only came upon his body, I always felt terrible for the death of Khalid in Baldur's Gate 2. That stuttering elf was just so great, I couldn't bare to see his corpse. Curse you, Irenicus!

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
-Stranger- said:
In MGS4, at the beginning of the second act, you're outside a small village. The PMCs have captured a group of rebels and are executing them one at a time. For whatever reason, I can never just sneak past and leave the rebels to their fate, I always save them.
i only save them so i can watch them die against the PMC troops...its most fun...

im-with-hitler

Jun 6, 2009
Companion Cube in Portal (Although I think someone already mentioned the companion cube) That cube was one manly cube

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
apocolips69 said:
companion cube, enough said
/thread and a half

I remember when GlaDos kept telling me the Companion Cube WOULD NOT talk to me and WOULD NOT interact with me, I immediatly assumed it was just a robot being really crap at the human art of lying, and I began listening intently and hanging onto the cube to hear a voice

It's still in my head...

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Katana314 said:
I'm at a part in GTA 4 where I have to choose between killing two people. They're both gangsters. One has plans to build an empire that improves the quality of life for the slums he's lived in. The other has just come out of jail, after being betrayed by everyone he knew, and has at times been contemplating suicide because of everything that's gone out the window for him. But there's no denying he's a pretty aggressive guy. Neither of them really HATES the other, they're just afraid of each other. I kinda wish I could choose to kill neither, because I know whoever I choose things are just going to get worse.
If you really want to know how the story plays out for either choice, go onto the Grand Theft Wiki, but that choice really doesnt affect the story in the long run, its more of a minor choice along the way, I would say go with whoever you like more, but keep in mind, Dwayne will still be suicidal and agresive if you let him live... so don't expect him to cheer up if you help him.

Hope that helps...