NPC you couldn't bring yourself to kill or mourned the death of

Mar 26, 2008
Gyrefalcon said:
The vampire in the Dark Brotherhood missions in Oblivion was like one of the ONLY characters that consistently had something nice to say. I couldn't bring myself to do in one of the only people that didn't greet me cheerfully in one sentence and curse me for smelling of death in the next.
Yeah that was really hard for me.

In Brute Force my team broke through some defenses to attempt to rescue a platoon of marines. When they saw us they shouted "Thank God it's Brute Force". The enemy then pushed through the lines and slaughted every single one of them thanks to my incompetent defensive effort.
I felt so bad for letting them down I went back and re-did it.

Mar 26, 2008
TheZapper said:
Like many others, I felt bad when I killed Dwayne in GTA 4. Silly me trying to shoot him with a pistol entered execution mode, which made it even worse, watching as you put the gun to the back of his head slowy pull the trigger.
I couldn't do it; which is why I killed that piece of trash Playboy X. Plus you get his sweet pad.

Moosebomber

Nov 4, 2009
In Grand Theft Auto IV I mourned the death of Aiden O'malley. I killed him and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
End of Half Life 2: Episode 2 :(

Grom Hellscream and Uther the Lightbringer R.I.P

And finally, all those who fought in the name Terra (Starcraft II)

kotorfan04

Aug 7, 2009
Alistair, from DA:O, damn it all he was a nice guy who only wanted revenge against the man who killed his mentor. Also slightly off topic, why the hell did my dad have to die in the Human Noble Origin, I had five minor health poultices, surely that should have perked him up a bit. I mean I get the crap beaten out of me all the time in that game, and a health poultice really does the trick.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Captain Schpack said:
schwetty balzac said:
Recent: Seeing Ophelia get her heart ripped out by Doviculus in Brutal Legend.
f****ck. Use the spoiler bars man, Damn i was going to play that game.

jk jk

I mourned the loss of Vic, Sarge (not actually sure if he died), and Brooklyn from Call of Duty 2: Big Red One. Also, ghost, gaz, griggs, roach and anyone else i forget from call of duty 4 or MW2

For Vic i actually cried. However, for Sarge and Brooklyn i just went on angry rampage and f*cked up those nazi bastards.
Me to! I actually yelled "THIS IS FOR KILLING BROOKLYN, YOU F**KING KROUTS!" I have never done anything like that since. he was from the Bronks, not Brooklyn.

but for me I mourned the loss of dog meat with a memorial. I found a dog bowl, some brhamin stake, some purified water, and a pistol and put them on his corps. I also tried not to kill any civilians in 'No Russian', but I shot one that was holding his side with one hand, and looking at the other. I regret selecting "don't skip"feture, especially when you have to do it for veteran.

Icedrake79

Aug 18, 2009
Ive had the opposite happen...I just couldn't stand those horrible eyes on the Halo 2 marines

Note to self: No more looking in the eyes of allies with sniper scope...its scary how ugly they are

Axeli

Jun 16, 2004
tellmeimaninja said:
Axeli said:
tellmeimaninja said:
I felt bad for Saren in the end of Mass Effect (even though he was essentially pure evil).
You kinda missed the point of the character. It was heavily implied if not outright stated that he was actually trying to stop Soverign or learn about the Reapers before the indoctrination got him.
I knew that, but if you had listened to Captain Anderson's story about his old mission with Saren, you would know that saren isn't exaclty very friendly anyway. As one of my favorite quotes from him says "I follow two rules: First, Never kill anyone without a reason... Second, You can always find a reason to kill someone." - Saren

I also would like to add Ghost and Gaz to my list. Poor people getting played by the same voice actor and shot with high-caliber pistols.
Well, yeah, I suppose he was always kind of an asshole.

Still, he likely was loyal to the council before the indoctrination, being hand picked to his position and constantly trying to reason his betrayal by claiming it was simply hopeless to go up against the Reapers. So perhaps not pure evil, just a racist dick.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Well, i tend to take tender loving care of any NPC ally i can in any game i play. I want them to survive... well, that, and the added firepower/targets is always welcome.

But some game just dont want them to live, or they are scripted/made to die no matter what i do.
COD4 is bad for this, soldiers die like redshirt lemmings all around me (and keep dying in massive numbers until I walk foward).. or the human soldiers in Halo always get in the way or sit on the bullet-magnet (aka player-controled tank)

As for NPCs dying, well, cant remember a game where one was particularly special or important. Becuase if they are, they often die in unavoidable scripted events.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
For me, it wasn't the vampire in the DB in Oblivion...it was Tienavva, the Argonian you have to kill. I really liked that dude. Vicente Valieri seemed more like a commanding officer to me, while Tienavva seemed like a brother-in-arms. I saved him for last and actually whispered "sorry" to my computer.

Bebosis

Jul 19, 2009
I try not to let any of my AI companions die and i spend hours trying to get me to follow me when for some reason they just stop moving. Like in Halo 2 i spent countless times reloading the game trying to keep all my marines alive and that one part when your the arbiter all the grunts alive. The grunts were cool.

I think the NPC death i took the hardest in a game was in Call of duty 4 when Gaz and the rest of the COD4 team die at the end of the game. I was like "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo." And blam there brains flew everywhere and i was like "You fucking one armed bastardo!"

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
ColdStorage said:
EquinoxETO said:
all the allies in FC2
i really didnt want to kill them
*starts sobbing*

In a desert sub mission for Warren Clyde I ran out of syrettes after he got downed, so I had to "euphanise" him, it took me a good five minutes to be able to pull the trigger...

And in the next mission Josip was too badly wounded that I had to give him an overdose of syrettes/morphine, which earned me the trophy "Good Night Sweet Prince", I've emailed Sony asking them to take that fucking trophy back, I DON'T WANT IT!
i cant remember the guys name, he might have been australian, but after you flood some mines or something, he gets shot. i replayed that bit 8 times to try and save him, even standing in from of him to soak up bullets, but he died
this will bring back painful memories, but the shooting
they lie in pain, grab your gun, and push it to under their chin
you look away. bang. the legs twitch, and then...
aaaah aah aaah :'( its so sad

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
EquinoxETO said:
ColdStorage said:
EquinoxETO said:
all the allies in FC2
i really didnt want to kill them
*starts sobbing*

In a desert sub mission for Warren Clyde I ran out of syrettes after he got downed, so I had to "euphanise" him, it took me a good five minutes to be able to pull the trigger...

And in the next mission Josip was too badly wounded that I had to give him an overdose of syrettes/morphine, which earned me the trophy "Good Night Sweet Prince", I've emailed Sony asking them to take that fucking trophy back, I DON'T WANT IT!
i cant remember the guys name, he might have been australian, but after you flood some mines or something, he gets shot. i replayed that bit 8 times to try and save him, even standing in from of him to soak up bullets, but he died
this will bring back painful memories, but the shooting
they lie in pain, grab your gun, and push it to under their chin
you look away. bang. the legs twitch, and then...
aaaah aah aaah :'( its so sad
Its ok, its not your fault! there's nothing you could do!.

Warren Clyde is particularly harrowing because he signals he's ready to go then he begs for morphine just before you kill him.

Edit; Josip calls you a monster for leaving him to die, but I still didn't want to kill him.

azadiscool

Dec 10, 2008
Companion cube and pretty much everyone in KoTR when I was going for the dark side.

Edit: Holy shit people learn to use the spoiler function. I think I just learned the endings to every game from the past 3 years.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
In Half-Life 1, the fifth scientist was hard to kill. Valve said they were all identical player models with identical scripts, but I could tell the difference. I could...

Spongeguardian

Dec 7, 2009
PurpleSkull said:
Luc in The Saboteur. I could have killed the nazis long enough to buy time to free him from the rocks!! Veronique didn't had to shoot him ;_;
Sure he was french and all, but he was a pretty cool guy.
Holy shit, spoiler alert much? I'm in the middle of playing through The Saboteur right now.
Thanks for ruining it.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Harry Mason in Silent Hill 3. First time I played it and it got to that scene, I just sat there in shock. I was like "you can't kill Harry, he was a badass!". When my dad played it and got to that scene he was royally pissed off. Harry is his favourite Silent Hill character.