NPC you couldn't bring yourself to kill or mourned the death of

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
kotorfan04 said:
Alistair, from DA:O, damn it all he was a nice guy who only wanted revenge against the man who killed his mentor. Also slightly off topic, why the hell did my dad have to die in the Human Noble Origin, I had five minor health poultices, surely that should have perked him up a bit. I mean I get the crap beaten out of me all the time in that game, and a health poultice really does the trick.

That sounds like a plot device to me. :/ I couldn't save the snakebite victim in Resident Evil either. All that effort wasted. *shakes head sadly*

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
azadiscool said:
Companion cube and pretty much everyone in KoTR when I was going for the dark side.

Edit: Holy shit people learn to use the spoiler function. I think I just learned the endings to every game from the past 3 years.
Seems like the companion cube managed to endear itself to a lot of people! I wish KOTOR, Jade Empire, and Fable didn't give you a choice level between "so good, won't walk on grass because it might feel pain" and "so evil, bites the heads off kittens". Even the Sith had different styles. Can't you have someone who does just enough good to gain trust and cover up your other deeds? Bioshock has a little trick along those lines.

aRatFlail

Nov 19, 2009
Killing NPCs isn't trouble to me. If I can kill an NPC in a game its usually not one that gives me more interaction with them than idle chit-chat and an easy slice or two from my blade or a bullet from my gun.

HOWEVER, I found an odd thing happening while playing KoToR for the first time. I wanted to be dark side...but had trouble doing so. I had so much trouble being an ass to people. A second play through it was easy, but the first time I actually felt a little too close to the game. Odd, I know, but I guess that's psychology for yah.

Bilbo536

Sep 24, 2009
Emil from Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World when you get the 'sad' ending. Not necessarily an NPC, but i still couldn't bear the loss. I had to go back and ensure I got the happy ending.

Scikosomatic

Sep 15, 2009
NOTHING
Seriously, I am an indiscriminate killer in video games. I don't care what the relationship is, I WILL try to kill every NPC. The more they run, the more I enjoy it, i.e. Assassin's Creed 2, Oblivion, etc.
In Fallout 3, when I met the Sheriff of Megaton, as soon as he turned his back on me after our conversation, I immediately pulled out my gun and started shooting him until he was dead. On my first playthrough, and I saved afterward lol.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Cpt. Price and Gaz in CoD 4. I literally jumped with glee when

He returns in Modern Warfare 2. And that Ghost feller? is that Gaz? He's got the same voice, I think.

Also, when the princess dies in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I was heartbroken :(

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Wrex and Ashley in Mass Effect, I mean, yeah Wrex was slightly out of control and Ashley was a bigot and a racist but I still couldn't bring myself to let them die, I even sacrificed Kaiden for Ashley, even though Kaiden was a much better character (personality-wise)

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Just Carrot said:
I generally kill anyone i can at least once. The only one I regret killing was Caius Cosades and only because I couldn't continue the main storyline with him... Oh yeah and Imoen from Baldur's Gate
Heh, we showed my brother-in-law the delete function in Age of Empires and he was estatic. I heard him say "and then there was a plague" and then a lot of clicking. I checked back later and he was sad because he failed the mission because he accidentally killed the holy man he needed to succeed. You'd probably like him. :)

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
For me, it was
Jolee Bindo
in KotoR. I played the "random pedestrian-slaying" brand of Dark Side, and gleefully practiced random murder when possible, but
Jolee's
death was the only one I regretted, as opposed to, say,
Mission. I let out a hearty evil laugh when I made Zaalbar kill that wench. Ahhh.

Asimov

Oct 13, 2009
my friend made an experimental game called "the final hour". The gameplay was pretty shitty, but the story was genuinely moving and in the end you can choose to kill the bad guy or let him win and I never could kill him. He is your characters brother and he is the best character ever. I swear to god this game made me cry. It is purposely only an hour long but you get so attached to the characters. It is about the people trying to live out their last wishes before the end of the world and the bad guy ends up being able to stop it but not wanting to. It isn't really the end of the world, but every human alive will die and he believes that it will save the rest of the world. In the ending where your brother wins, the last scene is your character and his girlfriend embracing each other and then crumbling to dust. If you kill him, humanity is saved but it flashes forward to the future, showing a man spitting on the corpse of the last animal alive. A very dark game, but moving.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Jecht in Final Fantasy 10, that guy was so awesome, killing him really sucks. And I guess, the summons too, if you use scan on them you can see messages like "Extinguish me!" for Ifrit and "End the pain!" for Anima.

Also Angeal in Crisis Core, I absolutely hated having to kill him, he was such a cool guy.

MattyJ

Jul 4, 2009
Chapper said:
And that Ghost feller? is that Gaz? He's got the same voice, I think.:(
Same voice actor, different character. Gaz got shot through the head with a gun. He's gone, sorry to say. And I doubt they would have brought him back secretly just to kill him off again.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
PurpleSkull said:
Luc in The Saboteur. I could have killed the nazis long enough to buy time to free him from the rocks!! Veronique didn't had to shoot him ;_;
Sure he was french and all, but he was a pretty cool guy.

Can't people use spoiler tags for games that have just came out?

Your buddies in Far Cry 2.
Killing them made no sense.

Gaz and Griggs in Modern Warfare, Ghost and Allen in MW2. I probably don't need to explain the first three. As for Allen, he killed all those civilians for nothing. Not to mention, he was the first playable COD character to talk during the game, which automatically makes him awesome.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
ColdStorage said:
EquinoxETO said:
ColdStorage said:
EquinoxETO said:
all the allies in FC2
i really didnt want to kill them
*starts sobbing*

In a desert sub mission for Warren Clyde I ran out of syrettes after he got downed, so I had to "euphanise" him, it took me a good five minutes to be able to pull the trigger...

And in the next mission Josip was too badly wounded that I had to give him an overdose of syrettes/morphine, which earned me the trophy "Good Night Sweet Prince", I've emailed Sony asking them to take that fucking trophy back, I DON'T WANT IT!
i cant remember the guys name, he might have been australian, but after you flood some mines or something, he gets shot. i replayed that bit 8 times to try and save him, even standing in from of him to soak up bullets, but he died
this will bring back painful memories, but the shooting
they lie in pain, grab your gun, and push it to under their chin
you look away. bang. the legs twitch, and then...
aaaah aah aaah :'( its so sad

Its ok, its not your fault! there's nothing you could do!.

Warren Clyde is particularly harrowing because he signals he's ready to go then he begs for morphine just before you kill him.

Edit; Josip calls you a monster for leaving him to die, but I still didn't want to kill him.
at the end... one of my friends begged the others to not attack me, but they did... all of them... everyone ive known is dead...
youre dying... the jackal is dying...
and... at the end... you cut the wires with the machete youve had since you arrived... that the jackal gave you... and then... you drop it...
bang

Torque2100

Nov 20, 2008
The last time I really felt bad when a character in a video game died was in Halo 3 when Sergeant Johnson died. Here is a character who has been a companion and friend for three games and they kill him off. It was one of the saddest deaths.

The other saddest death is definately the ending I got with my female elf rogue in Dragon Age: Origins. I took the Alistair romance path with her, then learned that the fact both she and Alistair are Grey Wardens means they can never be together. Then she sacrificed herself to destroy the archdemon. Probably the saddest ending I have ever gotten in a video game.

No Nosferatu

Dec 7, 2009
Dogmeat in Fallout 3. Shotgunned to the face by a bounty hunter. I cryed tears of anger on the battlefield as I ripped them to shreds. Then I could only stand there and look at his dead furry body... Then I got the puppies perk :D