Obama: "Turn off the video games and pick up a book."

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
How about everybody reads Catcher in the Rye? Might be good for the whole media induced violence discussion, right?

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
wikiman said:
HardkorSB said:
What he's trying to say is "Stop wasting time and do something productive".
He's talking about video games since that is what most kids are doing. That's what I was doing when I was a kid and I can say that it is one of the most time wasting and unproductive hobbies out there. No matter how sophisticated, story driven or complex your games are, you're just playing them to waste time (don't lie to yourself).
He's not dumb, he's not just going with the "Games are Satan" crowd, he knows that if you'll spend your whole youth just sitting in your room, staring into the TV screen and moving 6 fingers, you'll have a hard time keeping up with reality when it's time to take responsibility for your own life.
I think he's also saying "Don't let video games be the substitute for a family".

That's what I think, at least.

...what?!?
Well, not. Games are a form of entertainment. You are playing a game because you want to have fun, get a quick stress relive, or imerse yourself in a great interactive story. Books are also a form of entertainment. Sure you can read boring stuff because you have to, but in your free time, when you take a book to read, it is usualy something you want to read. Because it is interesting, entertaining, etc. So what im trying to say is this. Anything that enriches your life in some way, no matter if it is a comic book, game, a movie or a tv show, is good for you. If you had a positive experience that somehow makes your life better in any way, then time spend doing this is not wasted.

I just can't get over this notion, that here on a gaming website some people still consider gaming as time wasting activity. Suere there are extreme cases, like grinding for the sake of grinding in WOW, but people who do that are sick. They need help. And on the other hand we have other games, that are a great experience, and can teach truths about life better than any book. People need to point at positive things that come from gaming, not only negative stuff.
I don't know if you realize this but entertainment is all about wasting time.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Yeah, because video games are totally mindless and don't teach people anything like books.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Well, I both read and game at fairly even levels, but I can see where he's coming from. So...yea, I guess I can strongly agree with his statement.

Aug 28, 2010
funguy2121 said:
Felix said:
We hear this all the fucking time...
Middle ages: Put away the ball and go work!
Renaissance: Put away the book and go outside!
1930: Turn off the radio and pick up a book!
1950: Turn off the tv and pick up a book!
1970: Put away those comics and pick up a book!
1990: Hang up the phone and pick up a book!
2000: Turn off that computer and pick up a book!
2011: Turn off the video games and pick up a book!

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with books. Sure, there are shitloads of really good books out there and God knows I love reading good books. But there are an equal amount if not more of really shitty books. It's like people think that books have a monopoly on intriguing and fascinating narrative and story. Besides, doing one single thing too much is never good no matter what it is.
The Renaissance. Also known as the Enlightenment. It wasn't the first, either; about two millennia before the time of Leonardo, there were people like Socrates and Aristotle. Though some of the more famous ones (Plato) never actually wrote anything, like the Renaissance, these developments had a pretty decent impact on society. Like the computer, the cell phone, the video games, mathematics, property rights, the concept of freedom, and all sciences. And how did this knowledge spread? Look, if it makes you feel hip and modern, you can read Dostoyevski on a Kindle. As long as you read Dostoyevski. Until you do, you won't make my Christmas list :p

Also, I take issue with your interpretation of those eras/decades. I don't think those are very accurate.
Wow. I am impressed with how much you misunderstood what I wrote. This has nothing to do with the argument, but because of the smugly superior tone in your response I see no other way than to give you a response in turn.

Yes, books aren't new and as you say there was books long before the Renaissance or indeed the middle ages. However, because the vast majority of people alive before the middle ages were completely illiterate, books were of no real importance to the general population. And even if you could read, books were comparatively rare, since all books were written by hand before the printing press was invented in the 15th century.

And I take offence at the notion that I need to "feel hip and modern" because that isn't what this is about. Neither am I opposed to books or reading in general. My query was about the fascination with books over every other media. Shakespeare is a great example. Kids in school are forced to READ his works, even though the man was a playwright.

Also, I take issue with your name. I don't find you very fun guy at all.

CazGirl

Feb 24, 2011
Dexiro said:
CazGirl said:
Games educate and tell stories sometimes better than books. So better advice would be to turn off the video games and go outside or spend sometime with Dad.
Sorry what? Games tell stories differently than books and yes certain stories are better communicated through games. Books and games are completely different experiences, people need to experience both worlds and see the stories that both have to offer. (this message goes out to a lot of people on this thread)

One benefit that reading has is increasing your creativity, due to the imagination needed to bring the text to life, and of course it can also increase your comprehension and vocabulary.

To conclude my advice is to experience all aspects of media. Play games, watch movies, read books, they all hold different experiences.
Yeah you are right! I didn't mean one should simply indulge in games or books! Both have lots to offer! But games can act as a very good medium for teaching and encouraging learning because, I feel, that it is a more compelling medium for children. But that's not to say that going out and experiencing "the world outside" is any less educating. A good example of this is when I was 10 (I think) I remember playing Age Of Empires 2 and wanting to learn more so I went and read some books about Joan of Arc. Then when we went to France on a family holiday my mother took me to see the church of saint Catherine de Fierbois where Joan found her famous sword. Games that encouraged learning through books that subsequently took me outside the house to learn even more!

I'm not saying that books should be ignored! I'm just saying that maybe Obama was demonizing games a little too much because they really can inspire learning and creativity.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Well he is doing his job. Plus there are more anti-video gamers than pro-video gamers so...
[sub]My initial thoughts have been said by 300 other people so no need to repeat myself![/sub]

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Doesn't apply to me since i'm an adult and he's talking about parents monitoring children. Tee hee. :3

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
I think the message of Obamas adress has been lost in the quote. "Everyone of us can encourage our children to put down a videogame and pick up a book".
It is not about excessive gaming, but about spending time together. Talk to each other at the dinnertable, go to the movies together - or even play those video games together.
It's about encouraging our children to learn something valuable instead of wasting their time. That said, playing games isn't always wastefull at all.

If more parents understood the games their children played, they might have less of a problem with supposedly violent games. I certainly think it would help against the raging "video games are the devil" trolling.

In my youth, I spent about one day preparing and running an online roleplaying group each week. My mother asked my about why I needed to be undesturbed during that time and if I didn't spend too much time on the computer while the weather was great outside etc. I explained that I knew I had to prepare dilligently for my audience, that I had to get my notes in order and to answer questions of new players well before the weekly event.
She said she was proud that I took the work so serious and that I was pretty much like her before her meetings.

I expect many parents of today to have grown up around videogames and arcades, so I think todays children might even have a better chance of connecting with their parents through games then us back in the days of yore.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I it me or I think that Jack Thompson told him to do that, if so WE ARE ALL DOOMED, DOOMED!!!

Im being serious about that.

MaxwellDB

Jun 16, 2011
I think that it's important to recognize that even though you might *enjoy* games, someone who dares to say something critical about them isn't necessarily out to destroy your hobby. The experience of reading a book is totally different from that of playing a game, and there are things that the process of reading can do for you that games really can't.

Games totally can tell stories well-- engagingly and artfully-- but there's way more chaff than wheat out there. It's an immature medium and, so far, it seems to lack something like a Lolita or anything like that.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Amusing idea especially since I do both anyway :p But I get the idea, there are a lot of young people who haven't read any books on their own initiative. I find this is mainly because the school system makes them perceive books as boring. When I was in school I hated the reading material we were given in English class (It was either very poor quality or just too early for kids our age to read) but my parents managed to convince me to try and read The Hobbit which I enjoyed.

Anyway It's wrong to simply say "Stop playing videogames" but there is a point to reading book as well.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
Oh quit with melodramatics. He never said one damn thing about art, and if it's gotten to the point where you are defending gaming because you need your daily dose of "art", then you really do need to read a book.

This is where I will draw the line. Don't you people fool yourselves that it is in any way healthy for you.

It may help you with social skills and calm some people down, but quit telling yourself that it's actually healthy for you.
Yes he did say one damn thing about art. He mentioned books and games, quite clearly both are artforms. And saying that one is more worthy than another is stupid.
And what do you mean "Healthy for me"? Books aren't any more or less healthy for me than video games.
It's not about a daily dose and I surely don't need to go read a book. It's about saying one form of art is superior to another when it's pretty doubtful that this guy has even forayed into gaming as an artform very much.
It's totally unqualified and absurd. Get over it.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
666Chaos said:
See above about spouting nonsense because you have not taked the thirty seconds to actually read the article and so have no clue what obama was talking about.
Fine. I'll read it again.

Well wouldn't ya know it, it didn't spontaneously change since last I read it. Craziness.
Again, he implied that reading a book is immediately a better way to spend your time than playing a video game, any video game, for any amount of time, which he is unqualified to say.