Obsidian: Fallout New Vegas Has Bugs Because It's Big

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Oh bullhooey. They claimed the same with Fallout 3, yet there's still no official engine patches for the multi-core crashing issues or the memory leaks and random save game corruption on the PC.

The silence from the developers from launch day has deafening.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Also, i dont see myself getting hundreds of hours out of new vegas. Shit, im already done with one play through. The game feels small and empty.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
One question: Why all the Obsidian hate? The game is released 2 years after the previous game, which means work was probably not started on it until about a year and a half to a year ago (which is a quarter of the time it took to make Fallout 3). Do you expect it to be bug free? I find it amazing that they actually managed to have it content complete by this time.
Obsidans games, everyone of them. always suffer from the same problems. And seeing as they use like 80% of the same textures as FO3, theres no excuse. The engine was made for them, the textures were made for them, AI and dialogue system was made for them, all they had to do was make it presentable.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
No, it has bugs because you're Obsidian, which is in turn developing a game based off of a Bethesda engine...

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
Look Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time and I do understand there will be just some bugs you dont catch while trying to deal with every situation. But what makes me think, hmmm, Obsidian has always put out lack luster products, and from what I hear, New Vegas is more buggy than Fallout 3 and Oblivion by far. I really am disliking Obsidian now, they always get huge properties to deal with for some reason, and while they are "ok" none of them are a finished, polished product. I almost think Obsidian is lieing to us about testing it at all, or that they dont even have the technical know how to fix bugs and properly test. Bethesda gave them PLENTY of time to make a great polished product, they already had an engine, all they did was tweek a few things on the core level of gameplay, and added a couple models and textures. From what I understand the story isnt a masterpiece, so whatd they do with all their time? Obsidian, you guys are lame. Take some damn blame for yourself, it makes me think that you guys are better at making excuses and finding a scapegoat, than making a good, satisfying product.

Abcxyq

Jan 3, 2010
You can't blame them. I mean, they should have caught the more common ones like crashes, but at least they're working on it. It's not like they're just going to leave it and work on a new game.

Theninja'skatana

Aug 29, 2010
I figure It was mostly pathfinding. Go to the fallout site seriuosly I'm not a programmer but the very words they use to desribe it could be described as... tedious. As for a delay, when exactly do you want it? Because November is retail sales ground zero (until after the midpoint) It may have been delayed to next year.

JimbobDa3rd

Sep 21, 2008
I havent played NV yet, though Im lookign forward to it. I think that most of the people complaining have never touched any programing or design software beyond Visual Basics and photoshop. Its difficult, and yes they are proffesionals but even fixing little things like weird joints on models and falling through the floorglitches is really difficult, even if they were found by the testing team I dont blame them for just deciding for the time and effort and expense required its not worth fixing, EVERYTHING has problems in all art forms (asuming games are art) for example if a game isnt photorealistic and perfect you dont see a massive uproar about it because people understand that its not posible on a normal game budget and time given to acheive that, so why do people expect perfect program... Where I start to agree with the angry mob is the major flaws which havent been fixed, like any problem that affects the game further then having to reload an autosave from a few minutes before, I.E. deleting or not reconising saved files, thats a major problem that REALLY pisses me off (I came across it in RE4).

They are admitting there arfe flaws and trying to fix them. Id prefer that then ignoring them and pretending its perfect.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Mcface said:
BreakfastMan said:
One question: Why all the Obsidian hate? The game is released 2 years after the previous game, which means work was probably not started on it until about a year and a half to a year ago (which is a quarter of the time it took to make Fallout 3). Do you expect it to be bug free? I find it amazing that they actually managed to have it content complete by this time.
Obsidans games, everyone of them. always suffer from the same problems. And seeing as they use like 80% of the same textures as FO3, theres no excuse. The engine was made for them, the textures were made for them, AI and dialogue system was made for them, all they had to do was make it presentable.
And you, my good sir, clearly have no idea what it takes to make a video game. It takes much more than just having an a ready made engine. You have to program the quest structures, the character animations, the weapons, the enemy AI, all the interactive environmental objects, every single character, and every single environment. And that is not nearly as detailed as it could be.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
FlikViktor said:
How bout everyone quit your crying and grow up. If you can't handle some bugs in a game then don't play it. I wanna see these people who cry about the game try and design a game even a quarter the size of New Vegas and see how may bugs you have.
I've done exactly as you said. I've not bought it knowing that Obsidian would not be able to get their act together and release a finished product. I don't know how anyone is shocked, Obsidian have form for this sort of mess. Yes its a big game but things like the save game issues are inexcusable. Lots of people have paid full price for this game so its understandable that there will be complaints when the game turns out to be broken. If I spend £40 I expect the thing to work.

As far as your challenge to make a game myself; it is not my profession, why should I be able to create a game? I can however do my job and would never do half a job, thats not what my employer pays me for. The obsidian guys and girls are paid good money to produce working games. They should be free of obvious and game breaking bugs. There was already a trial run for this game in Fallout 3, most of the textures etc were already in place. I get the feeling Obsidian are not very well managed.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
I cant speak for the xbox version, but I've been playing the PC version for 16 hours and I've only had a few issues, none of which were gamebreaking.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
HeySeansOnline said:
You know, this could be accepted, if there was the occasional AI bug, or maybe the physics spinning a ghoul to the moon, but the sheer number of problems seen, no. Oblivion was able to work so when it was released a couple of years ago, and of course Fallout 3 worked, and they had their share of bugs, but they weren't game breaking.

So who wants to have a most hated contest, Bobby Kotick, Jack Thompson, or Obsidian, who do you despise the most?
Quest items and people falling through the map breaking the game is not game breaking? 0-o
Huh, actually never saw that on fallout, saw it on Oblivion, thought it was just my dics scratches. But still Oblivion was the first run at a game of that caliber.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
I think it's hard for any game to be released without at least 1 bug, but the excuse that's it's big just sounds too stupid. Surely some of the really game breaking bugs must have been seen. Not only that but some of the bugs from Fallout 3 are still in it. If they weren't already coming up with the patches I would have given up a while ago. Luckily it's a good game.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Mcface said:
BreakfastMan said:
And you, my good sir, clearly have no idea what it takes to make a video game. It takes much more than just having an a ready made engine. You have to program the quest structures, the character animations, the weapons, the enemy AI, all the interactive environmental objects, every single character, and every single environment. And that is not nearly as detailed as it could be.
They had a engine made for them, textures they reused, mechanics they reused, structure they reused, models they reused, weapons they reused.

All of that was done for them. And they still botched it.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
How about a combination of the two.
It may have been rushed (particularly the obvious save restore bug Shamus mentioned)
Games of that scale do have bugs, however most games do Beta testing if they are that large.

Still, they could've done better.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
FlikViktor said:
How bout everyone quit your crying and grow up. If you can't handle some bugs in a game then don't play it. I wanna see these people who cry about the game try and design a game even a quarter the size of New Vegas and see how may bugs you have.
It not really just that the bugs are there. It's that this is a very poor excuse for why they're there. Many of the bugs are painfully obvious (like the save game bug) and should have been easily spotted and fixed before release. It also has the exact same bugs Fallout 3 had two years ago. You think they could've realized that bugs involving the engine they were using would affect them too and headed them off. These aren't super obscure bugs people are talking about like say an ensential NPC not appearing because you chose a specific dialogue option when talking to a specific NPC at 3:08 PM with exactly 353 rounds of 10mm ammo in your inventory while having a specific NPC in a stealth combat stance and wearing Brotherhood of Steel Power armor. These glitches are usually quite common and easy to spot with just a few hours of gameplay. Also, the game crashes way more than it should according to many people, some even every time they gamble.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
If your game doesn't even SAVE properly, the size of the game world is not the cause of your problems. Ineptitude in your QA team is.