Obsidian: Fallout New Vegas Has Bugs Because It's Big

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Well the only problem i had so far was lag, and thanks to the power of mods, that's no longer a problem. Other than that one time when i punched a preying mantis into another room somehow, i have had no bugs. I bought it on release day too. You're still OK with me Obsidian.

Oh and in fallout NV you can explore almost every building. Each building has items you can pick up, or NPC's you can talk to. There are a lot of side quests and you have a lot more freedom than in most games. The coders have to think of and add in every single possibility. I'm not a coder, but this game sounds like a nightmare to make.

Games may have a game world as big as fallout 3, but none of them have a game world as deep.
Most sandbox games count things like buildings as large parts of the game world jutting out of the ground with no purpose other than to get in your way.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
darth gditch said:
Why do I have a feeling that if they delayed the game another 2 years because of bugs, there would be equal uproar?

So I ask you, are you having fun with the game?

Also, to play Devil's Advocate against the whole "it's a map pack expansion."

Um.....what? There new guns, a new faction system, gambling games, new outfits, new story. The similarities include same engine and same background world. So by the logic that it is nothing more than an expansion pack, Oblivion was an expansion on Morrowind with better graphics, All of the Halos were map packs, same with COD. Half-Life 2, also just a map pack with new story. Hmm, all of the GTA's, map packs with Red Dead Redemption being a Western map pack. Assassin's Creed 2 just takes place in Italy, so that can't be a valid sequel either.

Tell me, what would have made New Vegas a good sequel or spin off then if not new quests, some new weapons and a different map. What more do you want?

Ditto.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game and finally they (kinda) fixed the save issue of the game and was my only complaint of the game. I don't care if it freezes, I don't care it a character is sudendly catapulted into the other side of the map for no apparent reason (actually that was kinda funny), and that my head starts stretching itself when I die... It has a great story, great characters that are way much better than FO3, lots and lots of new weapons, new sounds, new and better music, a world as big if not more bigger than FO3...

So, shit happens and Obsidian is simply infamous for releasing great games wich are unfortunate buggy messes. I kinda fogive them just because is a great game that's even better than it's predecessor.

It's NOT an expansion pack and NOT a map pack, it's a whole new game that happens to be quite similar to FO3 in certain aspects. Kinda like Majora's Mask did in it's time. Except it wasn't a buggy mess...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
A Pious Cultist said:
That argument might even hold weight if every tester that ever identifies themselves as working on these sorts of titles hadn't already come out and said how they caught all these bugs but that their reports were ignored or forcibly changed to low priority bugs as long as they didn't crash the game.
This is... bizzare behaviour on Obsidian's part if true. As far as I'm aware, this would only harm the company as a whole, given the bug reports would only be used or seen by them.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Random bugs in unusual or obscure situations I can understand. Those are the kind of bugs that are nigh impossible to test for.

Fucking saves rolling back, and the game being unplayably choppy on a pretty damn common OS, is not.

Whoever gave this press release is correct in that some bugs are bound to exist, I'm sympathetic to that and there's really no way to fix them than to just release it to the wild and let players find them. Game breaking bugs that effect a large number (if not all) of players should have been caught by QA. There's really no excuse for it.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
I have a very odd offtopic question:

Why didnt they buy Interplay and make them make these games?

Also: Bugs....no...its coming out of the walls and I can count 4x in a day I go and play Minecraft or WoW when I stop turning my console on and off because of a bug

THANK GOD FOR AUTOSAVE

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
"Fallout 3 was known to have its own share of bugs so it might not be possible to get games like these out of the door in perfect fashion."

..look. Are you suggesting that Bethesda somehow has a brilliant track-record of releasing bug-free games? Or that if Bethesda cannot do it, then no one can?

I mean..

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
This game isn't broken because it's big, It's because it's using an old broken outdated game engine from 2006 and even then it was buggy and broken

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
They knew what the bug is, they are just unwilling to spend too much time to fix it. A lot of the same bug is from Fallout 3 due to the same engine, and claiming they didn't know them? They just rather put out a half finsh product to rush for the release date. They have investor to worry about.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
Not an excuse, the Engine has been out since Oblivion and the same bugs were present there too!

Seriously Obsidian, don't come up with lame excuses, just apologize and fix it.

lol. Following that logic, men with large genitals must automatically have STDs (bugs)? Cmon now, that's just ridiculous!

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Doesn't feel that buggy to me. Sure the occasional clipping and freezes every now and then, annoying yes, game breaking? no.

The only thing that's frustrating me now, is that in Primm they'll mention that a robot with a cowboy face hired you for the deliveries, yet you can't ask Victor about it, but that's not a bug :p

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
If this thread were any indication, then its clear nobody cares for Obsidian's crap excuse, or infact any game company's excuse for a buggy game. I for one am sick to death of games being shipped out before proper bug patching can be done. Theres no excuse for it. Nobody wants to pay $50-$60 for a broken game. But the industry will never take a hint, and the games will only get more broken.

jamradar

Sep 13, 2010
Lord_Gremlin said:
Oblivion. InFamous. Prototype. Saints Row 2. Many others. All big. All playable. Shitheads at Obsidian are inexcusable. We're not talking about some bugs, we're talking about completely broken game.
Awwww. You took my answer.

[small]...get out of my head[/small]

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Irridium said:
Ok, they're right. The game is big and will have bugs.

But a bug that resets saved games? A very large bug in one of the very key systems of the game? How in the fuck could that one slip you by?!
Agreed.

Thing is, radscorpions walking around upside down is kinda funny and just breaks the immersion a tad...

...but when 20-30% of people playing through 'Come Fly With Me' are getting game ending, character destroying corrupted save files, it's hard to imagine how it got through the testing.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
That really isn't much of an excuse. We're talking problem with AI, constant crashes, and even deleting saves and probably more. Grand Theft Auto 4 was a big game too and it didn't bug out every time I played it. Also, I can't give them credit for trying now when the Bugs were obvious. A quest giver that attacks you after speaking with him, how did no one catch that? Thi is a case where they didn't even try to find the bug.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
maddawg IAJI said:
That really isn't much of an excuse. We're talking problem with AI, constant crashes, and even deleting saves and probably more. Grand Theft Auto 4 was a big game too and it didn't bug out every time I played it. Also, I can't give them credit for trying now when the Bugs were obvious. A quest giver that attacks you after speaking with him, how did no one catch that? Thi is a case where they didn't even try to find the bug.
Funny story that. In GTA IV, I was getting a lapdance. After it was done, the stripper just flew into the ceiling and died. She was obviously so turned on by Niko's sexyness that she just flew up into the air.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
OK. Now things at least make 'sense', though they aren't completely excusable.

So in other words, they want us (the world) to be the game's beta-testers in a way, since there are so many of us, it'll sniff out the problems quicker, and thus, they can release patches as they see fit.

I guess that makes sense. But ehm, at the same time, was this a little blurb on the page where you check 'I agree'? /sarcasm

darth gditch said:
Why do I have a feeling that if they delayed the game another 2 years because of bugs, there would be equal uproar?
Also, I tend to agree with the above a tad. Releasing it early speeds up bug testing. As I said, not -completely- excusable. But still, I'm an impatient little bastard, and I'd rather have the game out early, then have the problems hammered out quickly.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
This Argument is one part bullshit and one part true.

New Vegas is much bigger than fallout 3, in the sense of quests and interactive stuff. I haven't played for more than 20 hours and nearly not seen everything and it already has more than triple the amount of "real" quests than fallout 3. While fallout 3 had some major sidequests and a lot of hidden quests, New Vegas has a lot of real, fleshed out quests, where fallout 3 was just empty landscape. You can't bug that.

On the other hand many bugs present in New Vegas were also present in fallout 3 (So I am told, I played the game for said 20 hours and havn't had one bug).