Obsidian Unveils Project Eternity

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
I'm not going to fund this Kickstarter on account of the fact that I'm going to be pretty much broke for the next few months, but there was something rather depressing in this article.

It sounds like RPG fan's dream come true, but as the studio noted, "It's been almost impossible to get funding through traditional methods for a game like this." Thus, the studio turned to the fans.
Wait. It's almost impossible for a noted developer of excellent RPGs (oftimes buggy, but generally very good) to get funding for a classic, old school Baldur's Gate-style RPG.... a game that merely invoking the name of will inspire nerds everywhere to sprout enormous, throbbing erections?

Would this have gotten funding if you controlled the main character like a tank, the concept of the art gave him a neck thicker than most torsos, and he was brandishing a burly sci-fi gun of some sort?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Hmmm is there tiers of features they'll add if they get more funding?

Like with Wasteland 2, if it got 2.1 million in funding they'd be able to get the support of Obsidian, and if it got 3 million they'd be able to make the game world much larger?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Yeah, yeah...Kickstarter beware, you don't know if you can trust them, take it all with a grain of salt...FUCK THAT. These are the GODS, the guys who took the high road when Bioware bent over in front of EA all innocent-faced. If they're messing around with us, and using Planescape and Icewind to do it, that would be like musically getting screwed by Bob Dylan. If I can't trust Tim Cain in this industry, then you can't trust anyone anymore.

On that note, I'm attempting to give them as much money as possible before my wife starts yelling, then more when it's justified to her. This is gonna go skyrocketing over 1.1 mil and could be one of the absolute great isometrics. I don't feel at all like it's dangerous to assume that.

psyco

Aug 17, 2012
SaintlyTurkey said:
Hmmm is there tiers of features they'll add if they get more funding?

Like with Wasteland 2, if it got 2.1 million in funding they'd be able to get the support of Obsidian, and if it got 3 million they'd be able to make the game world much larger?
Affirmative. They did mention that they would add more levels and stuff if they go over their goal. Give me a sec... Ah, there. Right on the project page *hidden snarkometer alarm*

"We?ve also designed the game to have a flexible budget and scope, so if we reach our target budget goal, we have a list great stuff we can add into the mix through stretch goals. And, additional money we raise will go straight into the game to add new levels, companions, NPCs, features, and even entirely new parts of the world which will add hours and hours to the adventure."

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Backed! This is Obsidian's chance to prove that they can make perfect games without publisher interference, rather than just great games with deep, potentially crippling flaws.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
24 hours later...it's 99% funded.

Moonlight Butterfly said:
Saviordd1 said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Saviordd1 said:
Yeah do not want.

Fallout New Vegas was a buggy mess,
I didn't have any problems with it :/
The majority did on all consoles and PC; it took them forever to get it to a fully playable state.
I played it from day one on PC, 250 hours with no bugs. Wierd.
I've played it six times with minimal bugs, most of which happened around release. Besides, Bethesda did the QA anyway. If people had a problem, that's where they should direct their complaints.

...Man. Now I really want to play New Vegas again. Let's do this!

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
INeedAName said:
Saviordd1 said:
Yeah do not want.

Fallout New Vegas was a buggy mess, KOTOR was a buggy and unfinished mess, Alpha Protocol was just a mess, and Dungeon Siege 3 *Shudders*

What rep Obsidian has with Planescape and Icewind Dale evaporates when I look at what they've recently released; and I'm sure as hell not going to fund something so cliche as to have the damn dragon eating itself as a symbol (How many times have we had that recently? Only a few dozen)

Ff any other well established developer pulled this the Escapist would crucify them.

Fuck this game, and fuck Obsidian.

Captcha: Picture Perfect
far from it captcha, far from it.
I never had any major bug problems with New Vegas either, although I know some did. If anything, I had way more problems with Fallout 3.

I can't remember any buggy parts from Kotor II either, although admittedly, it was unfinished, but that's more LucasArt's fault than Obsidian's. The parts that worked were great.

In my humble opinion, they are both great games with some crippling flaws (especially in the case of Kotor II).

(I have never played Alpha Protocol or Dungeon Siege 3 so I can't comment)

Did you play all, or any, of these games? If you played all of them, it seems strange that you would suddenly turn your back on Obsidian after slavishly buying pretty much every game they've ever made. If you didn't, why do you react so strongly to them?
I've played basically all of them, mostly because I WANTED them to be good; but Obsidian burned its last bridge when I couldn't get through one New Vegas playthrough without regular crashes and bugs; and then when I got through I was severely disappointed.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
An Obsidian game with no Publisher pressure and permission to allow them to work on any IP or universe they so desire with no time limits and over a million dollars to work with?

My god. This will be the best game ever.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
"Isometric and party-based"

Stopped reading there. After playing Diablo 3, I don't think I can ever play an isometric game ever again without throwing up. Sorry Obsidian.

Ritchian

Wait, what?
Jul 29, 2009
Whelp... I did ask at some point for someone to point me in the direction of where I could send my money to help fund a Chris Avellone game. Guess that answers that.

*Wanders off to Kickstarter*

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
I've played basically all of them, mostly because I WANTED them to be good; but Obsidian burned its last bridge when I couldn't get through one New Vegas playthrough without regular crashes and bugs; and then when I got through I was severely disappointed.
I'm surprised nobody brought this up yet, but Obsidian was not in charge of QA. As for that last statement, I loved what they did with NV. Don't know what you were expecting that you were disappointed by the content.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
As I suspected, it's another fantasy RPG. Too bad they won't take this opportunity to make an RPG in a different setting.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Doom972 said:
As I suspected, it's another fantasy RPG. Too bad they won't take this opportunity to make an RPG in a different setting.
With you there brother. Would love to see more Sci FI RPG's of this type, especially after Mass Effect whet my appetite then promptly (from #2 onwards) turned into a FPS with tacked on rpg elements.

However, this is Obsidian so i'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth