Obsidian Unveils Project Eternity

Apr 5, 2008
FelixG said:
Its PC only, nothing to do with consoles.
You convinced me with this single line. Signed up and donated to my first Kickstarter project :)

FelixG said:
Though... isometric fantasy RPG that harks back to Planescape and Baulders Gate in a fresh new world? Anyone want to take bets that they will go the Bioware route and make an absolutely awesome game and then murder the series with the second game? :p
I'll take that action.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
bluepotatosack said:
I'm surprised nobody brought this up yet, but Obsidian was not in charge of QA. As for that last statement, I loved what they did with NV. Don't know what you were expecting that you were disappointed by the content.
Them not being in charge of QA with New Vegas is probably the only reason New Vegas was as playable as it was.

As shown by
-NWN2
-KOTOR2
-Alpha Protocol
When left to QA their own games, they do just as bad, if not worse.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
So, they got their 1.1 mil in 24 hours (well, 27 technically).

They have 30 left. Are they going to make another 30 million?

I kinda hope so. Go Obsidian! I'll be happily awaiting my digital copy of your game.

Captcha: make haste; my heart says this, but my brain says "no, Obsidian, take your time - make the best game you can make. No rush, no pressure."

Kuhkren

Apr 22, 2009
I'm looking forward to this, and will probably pledge. Obsidian has always had such fantastic writing and quests.

On another note: I'm a bit concerned about the quality of news reports on this site recently. It seems that the reporters like to add in their own opinions very often. In my impression of the methods of the news media, it is their job to only report the objective state of affairs, not their own interpretations. Leave that to the readers or add it in the comments section in the forum of the article. It feels unprofessional to me is all.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:

Not the Obsidian project we expected, but most definitely the Obsidian project we need.
Is this like a reverse batman then? Or not really, since one could argue that this is the game we need and deserve.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
bluepotatosack said:
I'm surprised nobody brought this up yet, but Obsidian was not in charge of QA. As for that last statement, I loved what they did with NV. Don't know what you were expecting that you were disappointed by the content.
Them not being in charge of QA with New Vegas is probably the only reason New Vegas was as playable as it was.

As shown by
-NWN2
-KOTOR2
-Alpha Protocol
I may be wrong, but isn't QA usually on the shoulders of the publishers? If that's the case, then it would be:

NWN 2: Atari
KOTOR 2: LucasArts
Alpha Protocol: Sega

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
bluepotatosack said:
Saviordd1 said:
I've played basically all of them, mostly because I WANTED them to be good; but Obsidian burned its last bridge when I couldn't get through one New Vegas playthrough without regular crashes and bugs; and then when I got through I was severely disappointed.
How about some actual moral greyness that Obsidian was so famous for?

In KOTOR they turned the entire story into a greyfest (Which they shouldn't have because that's not Star Wars) but when they got their hands on an IP that could could use moral greyness (Fallout) they didn't. They tried to present Caesars Legion vs NCR as morally grey but it was so ridiculously black vs white it was scary.

Sotanaht

Mar 6, 2008
From the looks of it, Eternity is very similar to Dragon Age: Origins in all aspects. We can hope for a better DA:O, but don't go in expecting a new BG2.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
bluepotatosack said:
Saviordd1 said:
I've played basically all of them, mostly because I WANTED them to be good; but Obsidian burned its last bridge when I couldn't get through one New Vegas playthrough without regular crashes and bugs; and then when I got through I was severely disappointed.
How about some actual moral greyness that Obsidian was so famous for?

In KOTOR they turned the entire story into a greyfest (Which they shouldn't have because that's not Star Wars) but when they got their hands on an IP that could could use moral greyness (Fallout) they didn't. They tried to present Caesars Legion vs NCR as morally grey but it was so ridiculously black vs white it was scary.
Eh. Personally, I sort of liked that. It (ironically) added to the realism. Sure, there's not a lot of grey between a mostly well-meaning albeit corrupt republic and an autocratic slaver society of murderous a-holes. But then again, that's life. If someone had played a game about WW2, believing the conflict to be a work of fiction, he would have sighed about how unrealistic the setting is and how the writers are just trying to pull emotional strings. Like, why would the stupidly obvious bad guys, the Nazis, put precious recources and manpower to genociding (genocide, why aren't you a verb!) these poor people that's not a threat to them. The answer is the same in real life as in FNV, that to them it made sense. If you take the time to listen to them you learn that there's a reason they do what they do. It's a twisted reason based on flawed logic, but it's there.

What I'm saying is that it made sense for such a group to form out of the wasteland. Maybe not that they're prancing around in roman outfits, but that the warring tribes would fall under a single charismatic leader and form an imperialistic and autocratic society that threatens everone around them.

Plus, they needed a faction of a-holes for the people who like to play a-holes in their games.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
INeedAName said:
I may be wrong, but isn't QA usually on the shoulders of the publishers? If that's the case, then it would be:

NWN 2: Atari
KOTOR 2: LucasArts
Alpha Protocol: Sega
When the facts are
-Obsidian has had every one of their games be buggy train-wrecks
-Said developer has had different publishers for every one of their games, and each of those publishers have published tons of games that weren't buggy, or were at least significantly less buggy.

The root cause of the bugs is easy to determine.

Occam's razor dictates that one developer having terrible programers is the more correct answer then one developer getting a string of publishers that magically can't QA for said developers games, and their games only.

Obsidian is the only company I can think of that gets more fan deflection then Valve when it comes to the very obvious problems they have.

Obsidian can write stories, they just can't make an even half-decent game to tell their story in.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Mechanix said:
"Isometric and party-based"

Stopped reading there. After playing Diablo 3, I don't think I can ever play an isometric game ever again without throwing up. Sorry Obsidian.
Diablo 3 and the 90s Infinity Engine games are hardly similar games. About the only similarity they have is loot and perspective.

OT: YES, YES YEESSSS!! Looking forward to this, given it's pretty much a dream team of folks developing it when it comes to a fantastic RPG.

Although I have realised the amount of games I've kickstarted that have a late 2013/2014 release date. By the time it comes out i'll have forgotten about the fact I payed for it, suddenly I'll get an email through saying "your game is ready for download!" What game? Oh riiight!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
DustyDrB said:
24 hours later...it's 99% funded.

Moonlight Butterfly said:
Saviordd1 said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Saviordd1 said:
Yeah do not want.

Fallout New Vegas was a buggy mess,
I didn't have any problems with it :/
The majority did on all consoles and PC; it took them forever to get it to a fully playable state.
I played it from day one on PC, 250 hours with no bugs. Wierd.
I've played it six times with minimal bugs, most of which happened around release. Besides, Bethesda did the QA anyway. If people had a problem, that's where they should direct their complaints.

...Man. Now I really want to play New Vegas again. Let's do this!
Hundreds of hours...

I can't go back >_>. I might not make it out the next time.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
craddoke said:
My pledge is in - and for those interested, GOG.com is having a sale on all the original Infinity Engine games this weekend (BG1&2, Icewind 1&2, Torment; they're going for about $4.00 each).
Thanks for the tip, bought baldur's gate 2 complete and icewind dale complete. I never played any of those popular RPG's from the early 2000's so I guess now is a good time. :)

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Ahh, so many RPGs to look forward to & to donate to...Yogventures, Gameglobe, & now this. Definitely want the cloth map; I collect those.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
bluepotatosack said:

As shown by
-NWN2
-KOTOR2
-Alpha Protocol
LOL way to play both sides of the coin there to fit your opinion, to this day i've never had a CTD on new vegas and on fallout 3 this past week, i had two CTD's (I autosave like every 2 minutes though, so it's not a big deal in the slightest, point still stands though)

Can all you concentrate on is bugs? no one is saying that obsidian has an amazing QA department, hell, do they have one?

but, as many "fans" have said before, and this goes for just about any company in general, not just obsidian, i'd rather have a juicy game with some bugs, than have a shit game that runs flawlessly, bugs can be fixed, shit cannot.

so, to your constant anal bug nazism, i'll say this:

Alpha protocol was the ONLY one you could pin exactly on obsidian, and even then, it wasn't CTD type bugs, it would the occasional texture popping or the controls not being 100% polished for quick maneuvering, hardly something you can harp on them individually about when so many companies have this problem, especially your beholden bethesda, since you seem to worship them even though they have the same damn problems, just different strengths. Hell DS3 (while not their greatest game, no one claims it to be so ever.) ran amazingly for the majority of people, just like most game companies deliver.

I'll be sure to double the amount i'm putting into the kickstarter, just to make sure I cover ya big guy ;) Don't want them thinking they are losing a valuable customer!

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
sooooo, its a new RPG that they are actually adding innovation?

Ok, i watch the vid, read the page, read the WIKI, and i still dont i understand what the fuck its about other than another game.