Old Games you remember playing but can't remember the name of.

Richard Hollis

Oct 15, 2012
Hello,

I'm thinking WAY back for my game - probably 1988-1991. My Commodore 64 days. My friend (who didn't have a C64, but can't remember what machine it was) had a game I adored but only got to play once in a while. It was a space game, but it wasn't a shooter and you did not have a third-person perspective of your ship. You just had a first-person perspective of the ship's captain talking to various crewman via a video-intercom screen. You got to select several (6, I think) crew people and you spent your time giving orders to them. I remember spending a lot of most of my games talking to the repairman (or robot, as one of the possible repair people was) and telling him what to prioritise repairing. I think another was some kind of gunnery person (as your ship could be attacked). All you had to do was make it to your destination in one piece.

I also remember my friend saying the picture of a spaceship on the box's cover looked exactly like the Starship Enterprise.

I know this isn't a lot to go on (no wonder I've never had any luck googling for it), but here's hoping someone knows what I'm babbling about...

Richard Hollis

Oct 15, 2012
Rai said:
Hello, I've been looking for this game for years, when recently a google search lead me to this interesting thread.

I played this game around 11 years ago (I wasn't even 10), so my memories are blurry.
What I remember is that there were some kind of "cards" representing different military ranks, you could see your own "cards" and the enemies were up side down. Each one on his own turn advanced one card, and when cards were close enough you could chose to attack, after attacking the enemy card is turned and if it is a military with a higher rank (or a rank that counters you), you lose that card, if your card is stronger, the enemy loses his.
The music of the game was very nice and if I remember well the back of the enemy's army was red.

I hope this bad description reminds anyone the name of the game, thanks in advance.
This sounds like some computer game version of Stratego (I had the board game, but not the computer game, so it's a bit of a stab in the dark).

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
Coldie said:
CrazyJew said:
Hey Escapists, there was this PC game I played long ago. It's pretty old. The plot is, an asteroid is coming to earth. Earth launched a missile that cracked it into two equally dangerous pieces, so it only bought earth time to send a colony ship to a near star. You begin the game by reading about several barren planets' physical properties, picking one, and then start building on the planet's surface, as well as underground levels, including oxygen supply systems and shit like that, on a square grid. Kinda like a sim-city in space. Any ideas what that is?
Sounds very much like Outpost.
You rule. Is it really that obscure, or did it just get forgotten?
Captcha: Once upon a time.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
XDeathOpsX said:
The last game I remember is a guy you play as protecting a girl from Black shadow like creatures.
It's almost certainly ICO.

EDIT: Looks like issue 49 of OPS2 magazine (October 2001) is the only issue to contain a playable ICO on the demo disk. Also included are Spyhunter and Gauntlet: Dark legacy, which fit your description of the racing and action games respectively.

AtmaPhil

Nov 13, 2003
kyoodo said:
There's an old game I remember plaing as a kid many years ago. I played it on an emulator so I don't know what console this was on, but I think it's a Nintendo game.

It was, I think, an RPG style game and there was some sort of "prologue-level" before the actual game started where you play as a dragon (a blue one if memory serves me right) wandering around a village/town at night. There are a few people that you can burn alive. One thing I remember best is you can go into a house, where you burn a woman. She cries something like "spare my child". As you enter the kids room you see it lying in bed before burning it, too. It's macabre, I know, but that's a part that I have the fondest memory of.
Anyway, there are, if I'm not mistaken, three exits out of this village/town: one to the east, another one to the south and the third one to the west. If you leave through any of these exits the level ends and the actual game begins. (Where it may or may not be revealed that what I just told you was some bad dream the hero had? I'm not really sure about this part anymore)

So, does anyone know what game I'm talking about? It's not much, I know and as a kid I never played past this part because I didn't speak any English back then and never understood what the game was about.
That realy sounds like dragon quest 3, at the start of the game you get to answer questions and then a quick event to test your personality (and the dragon running around sounds a lot like what one of those events would be).
IF you want to play Dragon quest 3 play the SNES version.

bowrll

Feb 26, 2013
This game has escaped my mind for so long, I can't place it for the life of me.
As far as I can remember, it's a top-down RPG. I was in a city of some sort, with bubbled buildings and conveyor belts. The city was seemingly futuristic, that's why I don't think it was a Dragon Quest game, but it could have been. I believe the city was scared of something, so it protected itself with glass or bubbles or something. Maybe the stereotypical "mist" or whatnot. It reminded me a bit of Chrono Trigger, but I don't think it was CT, as I have played it recently.

It had to be for game boy color, game boy advance or PS1.

It was 8-16 bit if I recall correctly. This was only one of the cities in the game, but for some reason this city sticks out in my mind and I can't remember which game it was from. It was a big city and I think there was a lot to do and a lot of people to talk to, probably about 4-5 screens worth.

Stjohnj

Feb 26, 2013
I played this game I think it was for SNES or Sega, but it involved someone dropping you off in front of a house in the desert. When you walked forward you had the option of going in the front door or the basement. I remember at one part there is a group of people or monsters doing some line dance with music playing and if they seen you they would fire at you. The game was amazingly hard and i think you only got like 2 lives. I think it took place in Devils Kitchen.

Nightfury

Feb 26, 2013
Hey
When I was about 4-5 years old I played a 2D game on my Computer where you were such a Figure
(He was purple in clothes, and fired missiles)
You started in a large room on a Planet (Ithink) where you could go into different Levels
In each level you had to collect all the diamonds/Gems before you could complete the Level
Sometimes emerged that fruit up you could pick for extra Points

I've looked and looked and looked for the game for a very long time without any results
Does anyone know what this game is called?
Because I really miss to try it again

After several Hours Loking i found a Picture of the Game.. but i dont know the name on it. SEE THE LINK
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rnbioj&s=7

Krtzeh

Feb 24, 2013
Nightfury said:
Hey
When I was about 4-5 years old I played a 2D game on my Computer where you were such a Figure
You started in a large room on a Planet (Ithink) where you could go into different Levels
In each level you had to collect all the diamonds/Gems before you could complete the Level

I've looked and looked and looked for the game for a very long time without any results

After several Hours Loking i found a Picture of the Game.. but i dont know the name on it. SEE THE LINK
Looks like Crystal Caves

Krtzeh

Feb 24, 2013
naykos said:
Hi, I'm trying to remember the name of this game, it was for PC and is old, like 10-15 years old.
In the game you where a kid you has to shoot balls that are bouncing, everytime you hit one the ball splits in two, until they dissapear.
Sounds like Buster Bros or a sequel of it. There's also plenty of games with similar gameplay.

XDeathOpsX

Feb 18, 2011
Tesral said:
XDeathOpsX said:
The last game I remember is a guy you play as protecting a girl from Black shadow like creatures.
It's almost certainly ICO.

EDIT: Looks like issue 49 of OPS2 magazine (October 2001) is the only issue to contain a playable ICO on the demo disk. Also included are Spyhunter and Gauntlet: Dark legacy, which fit your description of the racing and action games respectively.
The games don't look right on YouTube, but I get the feeling you're right and my memory sucks. Thank you so much though anyway. Means a lot.

Ryan Voytek

Feb 27, 2013
Alright this is literally killing me. a few years ago me and a few buds went to an arcade and played this game literally all night. it was a 3 person cabinet, it was dual joysticks and you were robots fighting in little arenas, the actual cabinet itself was green, and it was one whole cabinet for all 3 players, not 3 separate games attached. it definitely wasnt released on any consoles, just a very fun arcade game, literally cannot find a thing on it online! let me know what you guys think

**EDIT

it may have been three separate cabinets. my friend who was "sure" it wasnt, was having second thoughts.

XzarTheMad

Oct 10, 2008
Nightfury said:
Hey

Definitely Crystal Caves, an old Apogee game for DOS.

Trevor Lazar

Feb 27, 2013
i dont know if anyone might know game this is but its worth a shot. i remember playing it on either my ps1 or ps2, but it basically was a scifi/adventure game where you play as a guy who runs throughout some sort of station that has metal platforms suspended in the air, where the background is mostly all black. you have a selection of scifi type weapons such as laser guns, zap cannons/guns, regular pistols, etc. at some parts of the game there is lava. i cant remember the name of the character or anything else besides what i described. it has been bugging me for days to find out the game.

lombardifeathers

Feb 27, 2013
Hi! I'm looking for a game I used to play as a kid (I was probably about five or so?) but I don't remember a LOT of it.

I know it ran on a Mac pre OSX. OS8 or 9something maybe?
It was a mini game adventure sort of game, where the player character had something happen to them in the beginning where they were shrunk down (I think it was all shown in 1st person vision?) and they met these bugs. I don't remember how it happens but you end up playing these minigames to earn something to make stairs, that led you to the top of the tree where the queen bug, I think it was a bee or a butterfly or something, would turn you back to normal size. Either way you ended up looking for minigames to play on this map where you could go from area to area from the sides of the screen or something.

The minigame I remember REALLY clearly was a tube and path game where a butterfly would ask you for help managing her babies. Her caterpillars would crawl across these twigs and branches and you had to choose the right size twigs to put in the gaps so the caterpillars could get to the end and make their cocoons.
I think there was a music game and a river rafting game too.

This has been bugging me for weeks. I told my girlfriend about it and she had no idea what I was talking about. I'm starting to think I dreamed up this game.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Heather Seymour said:
This has been bugging me for a while
it was a game on the sega dreamcast
you raced tiny toy cars through a house
I appreciate the help
Toy Racer / Toy Commander

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
sovaa said:
I once saw a scifi game where you play with female character,(think she had red hair),it was third person camera.....
Anyway scifi futuristic game,female protagonist........
The Fifth Element game?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
davste said:
I registered just because I found this thread on google. Here's what I can remember:
You had these clowns that were on one side of the screen and you had to devise ways to get them to the other side. You had different abilities (for example, you could shoot arrows somehow, and arrows used to get stuck on each other. Then, clowns could walk on the arrows and if you did it properly they could climb up a path.)

There was also a way to lose/kill clowns as far as I remember, you had a limited number you could lose - especially if they fall off a platform and die. Any ideas?

By the way, it's an MS-DOS game.
You're certain they're clowns? Not Lemmings?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
megomonster said:
I really want to play this game again! There were two brothers, one was skinny and one was a lot bigger, the game was cartoonish. I believe they were on a farm and you had to find pieces to build a spaceship.
Floigan Brothers