Old Games you remember playing but can't remember the name of.

philkizer

Aug 14, 2013
Hi fellow gamers :)

I'm looking for an old school arcade game. It must have been released in the late 80s/early 90s. What I remember was there were robots walking around chasing you. Your character used escalators to get to the upper levels. You had to go into boxes(maybe?) and flip levers to get different things to happen on the map. And I believe there were some electric bolts that would prevent you from getting to certain parts of the map until you flipped those switches. And funny things would happen with the robots. The stage reminded me of Q-Bert or Marble Madness. It's kinda fuzzy but I cannot remember the name of this game for the life of me. I know this is irrelevant but it may help with the time it was released, it used to sit near Michael Jackson's Moonwalker and almost had a similar feel.

philkizer

Aug 14, 2013
philkizer said:
Hi fellow gamers :)

I'm looking for an old school arcade game. It must have been released in the late 80s/early 90s. What I remember was there were robots walking around chasing you. Your character used escalators to get to the upper levels. You had to go into boxes(maybe?) and flip levers to get different things to happen on the map. And I believe there were some electric bolts that would prevent you from getting to certain parts of the map until you flipped those switches. And funny things would happen with the robots. The stage reminded me of Q-Bert or Marble Madness. It's kinda fuzzy but I cannot remember the name of this game for the life of me. I know this is irrelevant but it may help with the time it was released, it used to sit near Michael Jackson's Moonwalker and almost had a similar feel.
Nevermind, I Googled a little harded a found it! It's called "Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters".

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
Hi all; I'm trying to find a particular Playstation 1 Demo for a friend that he recalls from his youth. It's most likely on a UK Official Magazine disc, as I don't think international trading was very common pre-internet, but it could be from anything. The details he has given are as follows;

"basically its a 3d arena, and you can freely run around and hit like lights on the floor, the more you have the closer to winning, but there's weapons and such you can use too"

"it was on a demo disc and it was multiplayer as I played it with a friend, it had 1 level I think"

"it was futuristic"

"did you control humans or tanks or?
It was humans "

" if I had to put it in a category, it would be futuristic sports"

He doesn't think anyone can find it, as he's searched before but got nowhere. I suspect his memory is off in one of the particulars, but there's only one way to be sure; let's all prove him wrong and find it!

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
phrostedk said:
Ok this maybe a hard one. I have been going nuts all day trying to find this game. It was for the mac. I used to watch my uncle play it at my grandmas in the 90s. you were a generic little hero. and you would move around the map with the keys. And the combat pretty much was you bumped your character into the monster. dealing more damage if you were behind the creature. The begining you were in a town and then as soon as you went outside it was like an island and there was like minotaurs or something like that ourside carrying axes or swords. I cant really remember.
That sounds exactly like Ys: Vanished Omens, except it wasn't on the Macintosh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys_I:_Ancient_Ys_Vanished

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8MwRzU2wHM

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
Jason Butler said:
Jason Butler said:
Jason Butler said:
There is this old pc game I played when I was younger, it was made in either 1990s or EARLY 2000s, probably the former. It was a space themed game, specifically Asteroids/Roids themed. You first pick a ship, some I remember were :

red ship, a bit block shaped, really fast, called Intruder;

space ship version of a 1960/70s era car, had Chevy in its name;

your cliche space fighter, can't remember name;

You then select a region, then a sector, and warp in. You destroy asteroids and crystals for money, and can't leave the sector until you destroy all of them. You can spend money on upgrades, such as armor, engine, weapons, cooling systems, etc. Quite often, you are attacked by alien ship, who spawn just outside your screen's view; some will ram you, and others shoot at you. One kind looks like an amorphous blob of slime, one is metallic with a disk moving up and down a central rod, and one looks like a giant jellyfish.

Given my age, I never seemed to put much into a save, but looking back at my scarce memory of the game, it seems it is capable of going on for quite some time.

Ring a bell for anyone? Email me: [email protected]
Thanks
Remembered another detail, It was on a disc called Arcade Games For Windows (1998), along with Oxide, Drone, and about 97 other games. Hope this helps!
Anyone?

EDIT: Nevermind, I remembered it was Crazyoid.
Which in turn is a clone of Blasteroids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasteroids

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
noamp said:
Jessica Eckardt said:
Okay, this thread is EPIC in how long it is so I am sorry if this game has already been found for someone else.

The game I am looking for is an 1980's maybe early 1990's game that was on the NES and in the Arcade. It played and looked a lot like Super Mario Bros. but had a guy on a skateboard instead of the plumbers. He collected soda instead of coins. I can't remember the name of it. I loved playing it in the Arcade Cabinet at a pizza place my family used to go to back then but it got replaced one day and I never found it again. I only know it was also on the console because a friend of mine new which game I was talking about because he played it on one. He doesn't remember the name either!
Actually one game did come to my head, try Commander Keen! great game i luv it

and the game im looking for is an online action game, fps/3rd peron view mods, I cant remember the year of the game, but i used to play it at 2008/2007. it wasn't a popular game i think and im not sure if its still on!.

while entering a game round, 1 player from each team choose to be the leader,the superviser of his team, and he is not "on the field", he looks at the game from above and decide what buildings/turrets to build for his team base, and the other team players come and build it together.
also i remember there's 3 different species - human, some sort of alians and i cant remember the 3rd..
last thing i remember 1 of the characters, its a big hulk walking slowly with giant tree and he's attacking with it! ohh also a big alien shooting purpul lasers. :0
i'll be thankfull if u guys can help me!! realy want to play it!

S2 Games' Savage Series.

http://www.s2games.com/savage/

It's a mix of RTS with one player being the commander and sending orders. The chap with the tree is one of the high rank units you get. I don't remember some of the things you do, but I only played the first one, so it may be a later instalment you recall.

dreamgal042

Aug 14, 2013
Hi all- I'm having trouble thinking of a game, and I can't tell if I made it up or not. It's a PC game about music in a castle, and you had to move from room to room trying to get the music working again. I remember a dragon, maybe he had a trumpet, and a game of chess with a boy and a girl outside the castle, I think. I played it on an old computer, maybe Windows 95 or so.

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
Jessica Eckardt said:
Okay, this thread is EPIC in how long it is so I am sorry if this game has already been found for someone else.

The game I am looking for is an 1980's maybe early 1990's game that was on the NES and in the Arcade. It played and looked a lot like Super Mario Bros. but had a guy on a skateboard instead of the plumbers. He collected soda instead of coins. I can't remember the name of it. I loved playing it in the Arcade Cabinet at a pizza place my family used to go to back then but it got replaced one day and I never found it again. I only know it was also on the console because a friend of mine new which game I was talking about because he played it on one. He doesn't remember the name either!
It's possibly this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Island_%28video_game%29

Although it's a clone of Wonderboy, a Sega arcade game. He picks up a skateboard later in the game.

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
TuringComplete said:
Hey guys, I'm trying to remember the name of an old arcade game I used to play as a kid. I've managed to find the names of most of the other games that were in the arcade, so that's helped me narrow the time range, but my best googling efforts have failed me! Here's what I remember:

The game was out ~1990. I remember either Raiden or Raiden II being the game next to it, and Dead Angle being on the other side.

It was a side-scrolling run 'n gun. The only details I remember was you could select from different stages in the beginning -- I think they were different planets or moons, each with its own theme.

It seemed to have an overall futuristic feel, but the only level I remember was a prehistoric jungle-like level. At one point, you reach a lake or river and there's a huge brontosaurus-looking dinosaur, I think just the head and neck, and it lowers its head and you cross on its neck/back.

That's all I can remember... Help! It's one of the only games from my childhood I can't recall the name of!
Possibly Xain'd Sleena (Soldier Of Light)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDhdV_YBT0&feature=player_detailpage&t=873

Although the Brontosaurus disappears when killed, everything else fits.

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
Luke Kyra said:
PLEAES HELP ME!!! im trying to think of this old pc game i use to play in the 90s i was a ship on yellow line on out the outside of the page at first and you have to come off the wall and cut out pieces of the screen making it smaller to box in the enemy eventually you have to draw a box around it to defeat it and go on to the next level. i remember first enemy is a snake like thing, and another one is a hand that shoots something...
You are looking for Volfied, the sequel to Qix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xe6c3eWlmA

Samoo

Aug 15, 2013
Hello there!

I used to play this game back when I was a kid. I don't remember much about it, but all I seem to remember was this girl had this rocket ship, or at least she seemed to be marooned on this strange planet and she had to go through all these places to get back to the ship. I can't honestly remember if she had to collect anything? I believe it may have been crystals or something.

If anybody could help it would be appreciated! I've looked everywhere and found nothing...

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
ziggy9807 said:
Hey, I can seriously not remember the name of this one game I used to play. I think I played it on the computer, or possibly not. I just know it was years ago. Probably in the 90s. The point of the game I remember playing was to control this object (like a spaceship) around and make squares and rectangles that cover up a larger square arena. You can only move up, down, or side to side. You can move around the outer edge of the arena without getting killed. While you control this ship, other alien ships are cruising around the arena. When you move through the arena, you leave a line behind you that make the smaller squares and stuff. You have to avoid colliding with these alien ships or have them run into the lines you make or you die. You beat levels by covering up a certain amount of the arena. As you progress through each level, you have to avoid more and more of the alien ships. Can someone please please PLEASE help me? :) Thanks!!
That's also a Qix clone, but because you don't know the system I can't be sure. It's possibly Volfied again, watch the video linked just above and see ;)

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
gideonkain said:
I'm trying to remember an old game that I saw a friend play a long time ago like 1990, it was a platformer with a Conan The Barbarian type character. THe game had a lot of "verticality" with ladders and such, so it was basically Blackthone/Prince of Persia style level design with a barbarian who was controlled by the arrow keys.
You don't mention the system, but when I think of verticality and barbarians, I think of Rastan;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastan_%28video_game%29

The first stage would be outdoor, then you'd enter a castle and climb to the top to face the boss. It was converted to an enormous range of computer systems at the time, which would involve arrow keys.

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
NamesAreStupid said:
A side scroller space shooter. I remember is that the spaceship had a blue 'windshield', that the main menu was the hanger with the vehicle and that the menu was green. I only played the demo and it starts off in space (black star background) but then transitions to an area whose upper and bottom edges have a beige fence/border/thing from which spikes pop up which you have to avoid.

Also vaguely remember one where you would place your spaceships on planets (you would only see them as circles, not detailed) and then fire various weapons at each other but the gravity would affect the weapons. I think it was something like Pocket Tanks.
Long shot on the first one, as you don't mention date or system, but the most iconic blue cockpit is R-Type. It's a series that always opens with an outside to inside segue. Taking a guess at having the hangar and green menu, I'd suggest R-Type Delta, which was demo'd on Official Playstation magazine. The full game can be seen here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ITIOOYyTDg

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
Reyon said:
I've been looking for this game a while, but I can't find. I hope you could help me with that.

I was playing that game 15 years ago, so I'm not sure about everything about it. It was vertical space shooter. Probably it was possible to play two players on one screen. The beginning's background was blue, overall it looked a bit like TwinBee, I think it had bells and clouds, but not entirely sure.
For sure, in the end the ship was landing on red planet, which was about to blown up or something and there was a guy to control in side-scrolling-jumping-platformer way.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
You are looking for Bells & Whistles;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0s8x2DBJbM

One of my fondly remembered arcade games, as it was the sole machine in the only pub within walking distance of a college I briefly attended...

Werekettle

Apr 17, 2010
BloodyGuy said:
Hi!
I used to play a game a few years ago.
It's a 2D game and I think it has one of these three words ,,Heroes,call,fame" in it's name and it is similar to heroes of might and magic game series but graphics look almost like - HoMaM1 and HoMaM2 the most.
In this game u play as a warrior(man or woman) and u have about 7 square moves every in-game day. The goal is to do quests buy items defend castles and palaces and defeat enemies in order to get fame.Defeating some enemies unlocks new heroes that you can play with. When u walk into other standing people you fight them with your army teleported into a little map,when you fight, every fighter in your army can attack one enemy each turn, you can recruit other people to your army so they would help you in fights (At beginning in your army you have a dog, two farmers and yourself). And when you die you have to play from the start again. The game is pretty much old, i think it is made after 2000 year and graphics are not totally pixel. I cant find it anywhere please help I will be very thankful! :/
PS.: HoMaM(1/2)- Heroes of Might and Magic (1/2)
Kings Bounty perhaps? The 1990 version, not the remake

MrMcDoll

Aug 10, 2012
Rantz Maxson said:
Rantz Maxson said:
Hey everyone. I've been trying to find this game for like 18 years. It was on an old computer (I think it was a commador 64).

what I remember, your car breaks down in front of this creepy looking house. First person type game. You get out and get forced into the house basically and you start investigating. I remember if you opened a door on the right side of the hall a woman came out facing away from you. If you tried interacting with her it was a skeleton woman who turned around and killed you. I also remember some sort of cage type room upstairs.

Any ideas?
Anyone remember this? back in those days where you had to change floppy discs like 6 times to get stuff to run
Game is called "Uninvited"

KS Kathiravan

Aug 15, 2013
Hey everyone, I'm looking for two games that i used to play as a kid but never quite finished it, and its bugging me a bit. I recall playing Bad Mojo, Teenagent and Full throttle together with the games i'm looking for.

1) The game intro(sequence) starts with the protagonist, a man (if i recall correctly) sleeping. His pets, which all happens to be monsters, tries different methods to wake him up but fails. They eventually resort to using explosives (tons of dynamite) - this idea, while wakes him up but blows them up to different parts of the world (map). The game takes off from there, as the main characters solves puzzles to rescue each one of his pets/monsters. Gameplay is comparable to the classic donkey kong platformer if i recall correctly.

2)A Dark and gritty game, you play the character of a witch. It plays similarly to the classic hit Monkey island as you explore this medieval set. Collecting items etc. I cannot recall what the objective of the game was.

Please help! :(

darak

Aug 15, 2013
Hello, have 3 games to ask about here...

1. An old arcade game, from mid 80's to early 90's (if i had to guess, i'd say the range of '88-'91). It was a top over shooter, 1 or 2 player, the one things i explicitly remember about it is: the first boss was a tank type vehicle, had a goblin type face, It reminded me very much of the clown truck from Maximum Override. If it helps, I played this at a local pizzahut (i'm located in iowa if that's needed at all).

2. This one was on the PC, early 90's, it was a puzzle game. Your objective was to paint all the tiles to a different color, but you could not move over a tile more than once. There were some crazy kinda obstacles like giraffes, elephants, etc etc. You could also make your own puzzles as well. The title may or may not have had "paint" in the name.

3. Another puzzle game, mid to late 90's. I really wanna say the mechanics were similar to crazy machines. You were attempting to catch mice (i think), by setting up "pieces" in a specific way. I do remember it had A LOT of levels, most of which couldn't be unlocked without a certain amount of progression. i remember one song in it, but hell, figuring out that song is harder than guessing this game :/

anyhoo, thanks for any help!