Old games you remember playing, but can't remember the name of

Jul 21, 2021
Chicago
Country
United States
Hello everybody!

generally
one moment from the game has been deposited in my memory, my brain keeps telling me that it was Pocahontas, but nowhere I can find at least something remotely resembling this

what is the point
as I recall, there was something like an egg that read some kind of story, and it was necessary to fill in the gaps in the story with the words suggested. as a child, it seemed to me an insanely difficult task and I could not get through it in any way. and this has haunted me for many years. I can’t find at least something similar anywhere in any game. if someone understands what I'm talking about, then please write at least your suggestions !! I'm losing my mind! Thank you !!

the second one

there was once a children's educational game on a computer, on a disc with some kind of blue gin, sort of like
there was something like eo toolbox (toolkit) in the name
there were various tasks for mathematics, language, literature, etc.

any help is appreciated!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hello everybody!

generally
one moment from the game has been deposited in my memory, my brain keeps telling me that it was Pocahontas, but nowhere I can find at least something remotely resembling this

what is the point
as I recall, there was something like an egg that read some kind of story, and it was necessary to fill in the gaps in the story with the words suggested. as a child, it seemed to me an insanely difficult task and I could not get through it in any way. and this has haunted me for many years. I can’t find at least something similar anywhere in any game. if someone understands what I'm talking about, then please write at least your suggestions !! I'm losing my mind! Thank you !!

the second one

there was once a children's educational game on a computer, on a disc with some kind of blue gin, sort of like
there was something like eo toolbox (toolkit) in the name
there were various tasks for mathematics, language, literature, etc.

any help is appreciated!
Well, I don't know what games these are since it sounds like these are from the mid 1990s which is a bit after my time for edutainment games, but you might want to check out LGR, he does a lot of old game reviews and has a softspot for edutainment games from that period.

Here is a playlist of his and you might find one of these in it.

Jul 21, 2021
Chicago
Country
United States
Well, I don't know what games these are since it sounds like these are from the mid 1990s which is a bit after my time for edutainment games, but you might want to check out LGR, he does a lot of old game reviews and has a softspot for edutainment games from that period.

Here is a playlist of his and you might find one of these in it.
great, thanks, I'll check it out! ;)

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Ok, I've got a long shot for you guys. This is an old dos/windows 95 game game. I don't remember which os I played this in, probably dos though. It puts me in mind of Jill of the Jungle mainly because its a side scroller and you play as a woman in a jungle, but I really don't think its one of those games. When you killed enemies they would tend to gib into bloody chunks and the environment had more of a jungle background with a lot of vines and such. The graphics were vga or svga pixel graphics. Unfortunately I don't remember anything about what kinda weapons you used or anything like that. I found this game long ago when I would dl a bunch of shareware games so its entirely possible this is one of those homebrew games that is just lost to the ages. I don't think I would know it by name, but I would know it by screen shot or video.
It sounds like Barbarian 2, though that's a bit earlier than that.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It sounds like Barbarian 2, though that's a bit earlier than that.
Nah, this was an action platformer and you only had one character. Plus it had either vga or svga graphics.

EDIT: Hmm, I mean considering it seems like there are a lot of games called Barbarian 2, I suppose it might be one of them, but I don't think so. Looks like most are early amiga games.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Nah, this was an action platformer and you only had one character. Plus it had either vga or svga graphics.

EDIT: Hmm, I mean considering it seems like there are a lot of games called Barbarian 2, I suppose it might be one of them, but I don't think so. Looks like most are early amiga games.
It sounds very similar to an arcade game that would have been late 80s/early 90s, I just wondered if it was a port of that, but I think I was thinking of Rastan (I had to look this up).

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It sounds very similar to an arcade game that would have been late 80s/early 90s, I just wondered if it was a port of that, but I think I was thinking of Rastan (I had to look this up).
Sadly that isn't it. The game I'm looking for has a female main character and its more of a platformer. Really the best demonstration to how it plays that I can think of, assuming my memory of it isn't fucked since this was in the mid 90s, is Bio Menace. Plus, how enemies gib in Bio Menace is also how they died in the game I'm looking for. Visually its pretty different though since it was in either high color vga or svga.

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
Okay this is a really old game... probably like 10-ish years ago. It was a game on the PSP where you were basically this maiden of some sort. You'd be floating while rotating and listen around your environment... then you'd hear people and their voices. Once you settle on a voice you hear, you'd be this ghost-ish person and basically watch their story. Once these people die, they become a part of your team and you basically rally a team of people with tragic backgrounds. I honestly can't remember the name, and this was in a time and age where we didn't take many pictures. I haven't seen anything relating to it ever since.

If it helps, there was this one cut-scene in the game where a girl transforms into this huge ass monster... that's about everything I remember. Hope this rings anyone's bells.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Okay this is a really old game... probably like 10-ish years ago. It was a game on the PSP where you were basically this maiden of some sort. You'd be floating while rotating and listen around your environment... then you'd hear people and their voices. Once you settle on a voice you hear, you'd be this ghost-ish person and basically watch their story. Once these people die, they become a part of your team and you basically rally a team of people with tragic backgrounds. I honestly can't remember the name, and this was in a time and age where we didn't take many pictures. I haven't seen anything relating to it ever since.

If it helps, there was this one cut-scene in the game where a girl transforms into this huge ass monster... that's about everything I remember. Hope this rings anyone's bells.
Kinda sounds like Valkyrie Profile.

Reactions: lostinreality

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
Kinda sounds like Valkyrie Profile.
THIS IS SPOT ON!!!! Good God, the internet is wonderful. I never knew it was based on Norse mythology! That's why reading the word einherjar in Rick Riordan's novel always looked familiar. I want to badly finish this game, time to do a little digging if i can get my hands on it lmao. Thank you kind stranger, my teen self is indebted to you.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
THIS IS SPOT ON!!!! Good God, the internet is wonderful. I never knew it was based on Norse mythology! That's why reading the word einherjar in Rick Riordan's novel always looked familiar. I want to badly finish this game, time to do a little digging if i can get my hands on it lmao. Thank you kind stranger, my teen self is indebted to you.
No problem, I never played the psp one but I enjoyed the ps2 one a lot.

Reactions: lostinreality

Vishonov

Sep 13, 2012
Hey guys,

I've asked this question before and never got an answer so I'll try again.

The game is from the early 90s, 92-94 something along those lines.

Was a Commodore game I think, not sure completely (computer game).

The game was a side-scroller of sorts but with two modes:

1. You could fly a starfighter of sorts from planet to planet (I think you could also fight the baddies in outerspace)
2. You could fight on the planet a la side-scroller such as blackthorne, etc.

Planets had luscious surroundings, such as jungle-like features, cascades, etc.

To my recollection, the hero didn't walk around with a helmet on and had blonde hair I think, wearing a blue jumpsuit of sorts.

That's all I can remember about the game.

Any idea what it might've been?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hey guys,

I've asked this question before and never got an answer so I'll try again.

The game is from the early 90s, 92-94 something along those lines.

Was a Commodore game I think, not sure completely (computer game).

The game was a side-scroller of sorts but with two modes:

1. You could fly a starfighter of sorts from planet to planet (I think you could also fight the baddies in outerspace)
2. You could fight on the planet a la side-scroller such as blackthorne, etc.

Planets had luscious surroundings, such as jungle-like features, cascades, etc.

To my recollection, the hero didn't walk around with a helmet on and had blonde hair I think, wearing a blue jumpsuit of sorts.

That's all I can remember about the game.

Any idea what it might've been?
Unfortunately I don't know Commodore games, but there are plenty of vids about Commodore games out there.

This one goes over the best shoot em ups, and it sounds like the game your looking for is half shootem up at least.

Here is another vid that covers all Commodore games, but its also like 7 hours long.

dc4u2

Mar 3, 2021
never did track down my last search.. but will try for a new one..

it's probably 25-30yrs old by this point (not really sure when it was made, only that that is about when i played it)

It was a very basic PC game, you had to slide blocks around a 2D room in order to get past the various hazards and not trap yourself at the same time.

the current android games 'Quell' are a decent evolution of the style, but i would love to get the original again..

60/40 the name started with Sku.. or So..

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
never did track down my last search.. but will try for a new one..

it's probably 25-30yrs old by this point (not really sure when it was made, only that that is about when i played it)

It was a very basic PC game, you had to slide blocks around a 2D room in order to get past the various hazards and not trap yourself at the same time.

the current android games 'Quell' are a decent evolution of the style, but i would love to get the original again..

60/40 the name started with Sku.. or So..
That's probably Soko-Ban, or a Soko-Ban variant. The good news is it's a well known, easily found puzzle game; the bad news is it becomes a needle-in-a-haystack if you're not looking for the original. Here is a (certainly incomplete) list of them, with 150 entries.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It was one of those CD-rom video (actual video clips sometimes, with regular digital content as well) video games (PC), with a cyberpunk feel to it. I'm thinking it had the word Cypher in the name of it, or possibly Burn? But I honestly can't remember at all. I was thinking about it when I saw another thread about "underrated video game soundtracks, and I wanted to include it, but I drew a total blank on the name."

It was sort of first person point and click, similar to Myst back in the day, but cyberpunky. I think you were a detective but I can't remember exactly.

*EDIT*

Just found it, Burn:Cycle

Gamer5

Apr 15, 2021
okay it's something that looked like "candy crush" type of games, you swap pieces together and every time 4 or so line up, you get some kind of bonus.
the game is line up tower like, in your face a big table of symbols and whatnot, and right beneath the table, some NPCs mini people are walking from left to right, you have a time limit until .. your "worshipers" all leave.
you get to have multiple powers as the game goes on, you give people donuts to distract them, teddy bears, and whatnot, and once the level is over, a huge lightening strike attacks the table giving you lots of bonus points, the mini people suddenly get scared stop in their steps and start bowing to you in worship.
the game is from the early 2000s, judging from its very old graphics. it's on pc alone. and i believe i saw it while i was browsing a big collection with luxor in it, you know .. luxor from 2005? the game i am looking for, has some kind of ancient Egyptian gods vibe.
so yeah i believe that the game, i am looking for is from the early 2000s ..
any idea?

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
Pc games, I think its was released a few years after Diablo 2.
DIablo-like gameplay, isometric, stat and talent allocation very similar to D2
You could choose very "unique" race, like playing an angel or vampire, or something quite close to those

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Pc games, I think its was released a few years after Diablo 2.
DIablo-like gameplay, isometric, stat and talent allocation very similar to D2
You could choose very "unique" race, like playing an angel or vampire, or something quite close to those
Could be Sacred, Sacred had those races, I don't remember the progression system though.

I think it's still for sale in both gog.com and steam.