Old games you remember playing, but can't remember the name of

Yukaphile

Feb 7, 2017
There's four games I'm trying to find the name of.

One had this GIANT catapult machine at the top of what looked like a San Francisco street. Your job was to, um, throw trucks (I think it was like semi-trucks or monster trucks) down the streets and gauge the results. You could go too far and slam into the water, or other objects along the way. I think it might have been a Hot Wheels something or other game, but I can't be sure. What was it?

The second is some kind of bus-driving game, where you could go down the streets of San Francisco, and end up "sleeping with the fishes" if you went in the water. Really, that's what popped up on screen, I think. It was in a similar vein to the older Driver games.

Third is a generic, cheap Pokemon ripoff. You are in a town, and go into a building that brings you into a forest, where you find various monsters you can capture. One is like a kite flying monster, another is like a tornado, that kinda thing. And then when you're done with your goals, you head off to another being, something to do with a wizard, and then you progress. That was in the demo, at least.

The fourth is this sorta, um... poker type game? Or is it gin rummy? In the same vein as Hoyle Kid Games, that has a model train running around a track.

What games am I thinking of? Can someone please reply? Thanks!

Last edited:

Gamer5

Apr 15, 2021
okay i just recalled this game from the very early 2000s i think between 2000~ 2010
all i recall about it, is the following..
you play as movie monsters on a map, and your goal is to spread your influence and capture the highest number of towns around.
i remember playing as Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, some alien, etc...
the camera looks like a strategy game bird's eye view, the map had a number of houses representing the towns.
and each time your creature reaches a town they do some animation while they convert the place to their side.
that's all i recall.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
This wasn't a game I actually played, but there was a trailer included in some other game I had.

All I remember is that you could drive a bunch of vehicles like tanks and whatnot and blow stuff up in 3rd person view. You might have had been able to do helicopters and stuff too but I don't remember too well. I remember it having a sci fi thing.

Probably a late 90s or early 2000s game.

For some reason I think the game's name ends with a -nox, but it's not Aquanox.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Third is a generic, cheap Pokemon ripoff. You are in a town, and go into a building that brings you into a forest, where you find various monsters you can capture. One is like a kite flying monster, another is like a tornado, that kinda thing. And then when you're done with your goals, you head off to another being, something to do with a wizard, and then you progress. That was in the demo, at least.
Could that have been BattlePets? If not here's a list of games with mons to capture/raise/battle, just be aware that that list is 9 pages long.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This wasn't a game I actually played, but there was a trailer included in some other game I had.

All I remember is that you could drive a bunch of vehicles like tanks and whatnot and blow stuff up in 3rd person view. You might have had been able to do helicopters and stuff too but I don't remember too well. I remember it having a sci fi thing.

Probably a late 90s or early 2000s game.

For some reason I think the game's name ends with a -nox, but it's not Aquanox.
That sounds like BattleTanx.

But there are a whole bunch of 3rd person tank games around, any idea what system?

And you don't mean top down right?

Yukaphile

Feb 7, 2017
Could that have been BattlePets? If not here's a list of games with mons to capture/raise/battle, just be aware that that list is 9 pages long.
It WAS BattlePets! Thanks. uwu

That said, that still leaves two.

One had this GIANT catapult machine at the top of what looked like a San Francisco street. Your job was to, um, throw trucks (I think it was like semi-trucks or monster trucks) down the streets and gauge the results. You could go too far and slam into the water, or other objects along the way. I think it might have been a Hot Wheels something or other game, but I can't be sure. What was it?

The second is some kind of bus-driving game, where you could go down the streets of San Francisco, and end up "sleeping with the fishes" if you went in the water. Really, that's what popped up on screen, I think. It was in a similar vein to the older Driver games.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
But there are a whole bunch of 3rd person tank games around, any idea what system?
I don't mean top down, though that game looks kinda sweet.

Definitely on the PC. Not sure if it's a PC exclusive but I get the feeling that it is.

Anyway I know it's too vague to go off, so I'm not really expecting a clear answer.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm, I think the big one on that sort of theme at that time was Carmageddon.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't mean top down, though that game looks kinda sweet.

Definitely on the PC. Not sure if it's a PC exclusive but I get the feeling that it is.

Anyway I know it's too vague to go off, so I'm not really expecting a clear answer.
Yeah, it is kinda vague. Do you remember what OS it was running on? Win95, DOS? 3d or 2d graphics? Mechs?

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Yeah, it is kinda vague. Do you remember what OS it was running on? Win95, DOS? 3d or 2d graphics? Mechs?
3d graphics. I think probably win95/98?

Don't worry too much about it. I'm not sure if I can even recognize it even if I see it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
3d graphics. I think probably win95/98?

Don't worry too much about it. I'm not sure if I can even recognize it even if I see it.
Yeah, the only ones that come to mind are car combat games like Interstate 76. Which doesn't really have tanks.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

I kinda feel like.... this might actually be it.

Ohh, holy shit, if that's it then yeah, you should get that, cause that game is pretty awesome. It was one of the earliest games I played that had good physics that would interact with themselves and its got a really interesting plot that is told very well.

Gamer5

Apr 15, 2021
1- a game on the nintendo dsi / 3ds i think.
where you seek witches and once you find them, you touch them via the touch pad un order to defeat them??
that's all i can recall. and i can recall the game was very much attacked .. anyway these were female witches you found, spoke with, fought, and then defeated by touching them somehow.

2- a game for PC that was only teased in a trailer long ago, about a girl running away from some mob, and then she drops to the ground, and before the mob behind her can attack her, she somehow sees the future and changes it, via escaping from where the strike could have landed, and upon coming back to her "normal" senses, everyone around her is shocked! the game hasn't yet been released, only teased. .. but i forgot its name.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
1- a game on the nintendo dsi / 3ds i think.
where you seek witches and once you find them, you touch them via the touch pad un order to defeat them??
that's all i can recall. and i can recall the game was very much attacked .. anyway these were female witches you found, spoke with, fought, and then defeated by touching them somehow.

2- a game for PC that was only teased in a trailer long ago, about a girl running away from some mob, and then she drops to the ground, and before the mob behind her can attack her, she somehow sees the future and changes it, via escaping from where the strike could have landed, and upon coming back to her "normal" senses, everyone around her is shocked! the game hasn't yet been released, only teased. .. but i forgot its name.
For number one, that was probably Doki Doki Majo Shinpan!
I swear I only found this so fast because I typed:
site:mobygames.com "Nintendo DS" touch witches
Into Google, *shifty eyes* and for no other reasons...

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

Gamer5

Apr 15, 2021
For number one, that was probably Doki Doki Majo Shinpan!
I swear I only found this so fast because I typed:
site:mobygames.com "Nintendo DS" touch witches
Into Google, *shifty eyes* and for no other reasons...
since i am the one who asked for the game, i THANK YOU FOR FINDING IT, AND I DO NOT CARE WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS ABOUT ITS GAMEPLAY OR ITS PARODY THEME, I AM THE ONE WHO ASKED FOR IT, AND THAT'S ALL. WHETEHR OTHERS LIKE IT OR NOT, IT'S NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS I HOPE WE ARE MORE THAN CLEAR DRATHNOXIS.
ITS THEME IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, but if you must interfere, can you at least help us find the 2nd game?

whether i play touch witches or not, whether i seek it or not, is none of anyone's business. many others ask for weirder games, and we are here only for the sake of finding games we recall, but can't remember their names. i hope that is more than clear; it doesn't include "and get to know what others think about them".

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
since i am the one who asked for the game, i THANK YOU FOR FINDING IT, AND I DO NOT CARE WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS ABOUT ITS GAMEPLAY OR ITS PARODY THEME, I AM THE ONE WHO ASKED FOR IT, AND THAT'S ALL. WHETEHR OTHERS LIKE IT OR NOT, IT'S NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS I HOPE WE ARE MORE THAN CLEAR DRATHNOXIS.
ITS THEME IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, but if you must interfere, can you at least help us find the 2nd game?

whether i play touch witches or not, whether i seek it or not, is none of anyone's business. many others ask for weirder games, and we are here only for the sake of finding games we recall, but can't remember their names. i hope that is more than clear;
Wow, touchy. I don't care if you want to play a game about fondling underage girls, I don't maintain the watch lists. I do maintain my right to raise my eyebrows meaningfully, though. Which I am currently doing for multiple reasons.

If I knew the second game of course I would tell you, but I don't watch trailers so I can't help you.

it doesn't include "and get to know what others think about them".
Consider that a bonus.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Now now, it was only meant as some gentle ribbing.
As someone who still has a small archive of flash games, I can guarantee I've played worse.