Old social values you could get behind

CymbaIine

Aug 23, 2013
f1r2a3n4k5 said:
Community.

In some ways, that's changed. Like in this forum, this is a community that wasn't possible years ago.

But, in many ways, it doesn't replace a neighborly community.

There was a time you needed a community, a tribe a town, or a guild to look after one another cause life was much more unpredictable. Reciprocal altruism helped us thrive.
Wow this is one I can actually agree with.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Definitely fashion ideas. I like a nice pair of trousers and a tailored shirt... and I hate that I am somehow looked down on as odd and stuffy (even though I have some great colour combinations... Purple, gold, red and green trousers now!) because I prefer not to wear the Devil's Cloth (denim). My traditional but colourful dress sense from the heart of British Tailoring should be respected!

CymbaIine

Aug 23, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
thaluikhain said:
Yeah, I'm reading this on a machine powered by and made from plants contemporaneous with early dinosaurs, which allows me to gather information from places all across the globe. I can look at detailed pictures of the surfaces of every planet in the solar system, including those I can't even see with my own eyes. I can find things out about animals that went extinct in times that are several orders of magnitude older than the beginning of my own species. I'm not seeing a lack of wonder, I'm seeing people being jaded.
Just the night sky alone. I seriously wonder how people can look at the cosmos and not be filled with a sense of wonder and--for want of a better term--magic.
I think part of it is the fact that the cosmos, the universe is a very abstract thing to them. Most people will probably never get to set foot off this planet in our lifetimes, so I can understand the disinterest. You know how when kids are in school and they ask "how am I going to use this?" and if you don't have a good answer they just stop listening? That's how most people are about space, they don't think it affects them so they don't care.

I think education is partly to blame, there is no time allowed to inspire or encourage curiosity, all the time is taken teaching kids the checklist of facts they need to pass the exam.

The universe is scary as shit, I would think it would be one of the easiest topics to engage kids with if a decent teacher was allowed free reign. I can't even remember doing anything "space" related past primary school.

CymbaIine

Aug 23, 2013
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Definitely fashion ideas. I like a nice pair of trousers and a tailored shirt... and I hate that I am somehow looked down on as odd and stuffy (even though I have some great colour combinations... Purple, gold, red and green trousers now!) because I prefer not to wear the Devil's Cloth (denim). My traditional but colourful dress sense from the heart of British Tailoring should be respected!
Indeed, you should see the looks my new bonnet gets.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
Wandering_Hero said:
Men and women as equals, in both rights and to be expected of them. if its unacceptable for a man to do something it should be unacceptable for a woman to do something. If a woman acts unethically, they should be treated the exact same way as a man who did something unethical. A woman should be expected to stand on her own merits, as a man who can. Their is no weaker gender, especially on the internet. Those who claim to stand for social justice can hold woman to that justice as well as men. harrasmanet is not ok, no matter which gender or faction is doing it. Also practice what you preach.

Man Suffragette Feminism is way better than this modern joke
You sound like something straight out of 9gag. I honestly don't know where people get these twisted ideas about feminism.

OT: as fun as it is to get all nostalgic about the past, I think the atmosphere of tolerance and progress in my part of the world is about as good as we've had it, so I'm happy with things as they are and hope they continue to improve; looking forward, not backward.

CymbaIine

Aug 23, 2013
Wandering_Hero said:
I'm just wondering who would defend Quinn and that "gamers are dead lol" person if the genders were reversed. Gender shouldn't affect morality.
I wonder who would care at all if genders were reversed.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
San Martin said:
You sound like something straight out of 9gag. I honestly don't know where people get these twisted ideas about feminism.

OT: as fun as it is to get all nostalgic about the past, I think the atmosphere of tolerance and progress in my part of the world is about as good as we've had it, so I'm happy with things as they are and hope they continue to improve; looking forward, not backward.
Second both parts of that.

(Well, I've got some ideas where it comes from, but the phrase "Man Suffragette Feminism" should only be used in a bad absurdist comedy sketch)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Alek_the_Great said:
I always saw it as a mix of a whole different societal and biological issues,
like being sure who the father is

[quote/]It even comes down to how the tow genders actually have sex since male anatomy functions to penetrate while female anatomy is designed to be penetrated, which makes it more prone change in reaction to intercourse or any other insertions.[/quote]
I'm not sure if you mean the "vaginas getting looser" but aside from childbirth I'm fairly sure thats not actually a thing

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I wish the Greek concept of a forum was more prevalent in society, rather than the modern "forum." Openly discussing everything from religion to politics without vitriol, mentoring people willing to learn how you think, etc. Having studied much of Greek philosophy, I have to say I think it would do the world a lot of good. Of course, Socrates was made to drink poison by the government, so...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Nieroshai said:
I wish the Greek concept of a forum was more prevalent in society, rather than the modern "forum." Openly discussing everything from religion to politics without vitriol, mentoring people willing to learn how you think, etc. Having studied much of Greek philosophy, I have to say I think it would do the world a lot of good. Of course, Socrates was made to drink poison by the government, so...
Before that, the Athenians made it a law to stone to death anyone that suggested spending Pericle's emergency fund when it wasn't an emergency.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
I'm too young to remember any values worth returning first hand. I often wish globalization wasn't a thing. You know, when you couldn't move the bulk of a business to another continent in the name of being cost-effective. Then shrug off all blame by pointing out if you don't do it others will. Surely there was a time in history where the economy wasn't based on eating cake you realistically shouldn't have.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I'd say the latter of the 10 commandments are things it'd be really nice if people started following again, specifically (Minus funky bible speech):

Don't steal.
Don't cheat on your Significant Other.
Don't lie.
Don't kill. (Ok, most people follow this one..)
And most importantly, treat your Mother right [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_rBidCkJxo].

I'm not a religious guy but those seem like fairly good moral guidelines to me.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
San Martin said:
Westaway said:
It's probably about time religion made a comeback in the West. I'm irreligious. Also, multiculturalism has no place outside of settler nations such as Canada/USA/Brazil.
Can I ask why to both of these? To me, religion seems like a bad thing and multiculturalism a good thing, so it's interesting that you think differently.
I'm not Westaway but it's certainly arguable that multiculturalism can lead to tensions in a society if two different groups have wildly differing values. To be clear I'm not talking about irrelevant fluff like clothing or celebrating different holidays, but differing social attitudes towards women or LGBT people for example. You see it here in parts of northern Europe where tensions between on average a socially liberal indigenous population and more religious conservative immigrants exist.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I personally like the idea of the traditional, nuclear family, especially as a model for raising children in a secure environment. Whilst this appeals to me personally, I wouldn't seriously advocate it as a sort of social imperative for everyone because heterosexual monogamy and life-long commitment doesn't suit everyone. And indeed, I think imposing this life aspiration on society as a whole leads to problems for people who don't naturally cohere to that of lifestyle.

I'm not really sure of the extent to which this social value existed in the first place, but it would be nice if society valued "the trades" as much as it did a university education. I think there's been a trend to emphasise the importance of university education in schools over learning a trade which has led to an over-supply of university graduates and an under supply of skilled trades people.

Electricians, mechanics, plumbers and welders are just as useful to society as lawyers, doctors, professional managers, civil servants and teachers and should be equally valued. In school, pupils shouldn't be necessarily be encouraged to go to university, and learning a trade instead of entering higher education should be presented as an equally viable and respectable option.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
San Martin said:
Westaway said:
It's probably about time religion made a comeback in the West. I'm irreligious. Also, multiculturalism has no place outside of settler nations such as Canada/USA/Brazil.
Can I ask why to both of these? To me, religion seems like a bad thing and multiculturalism a good thing, so it's interesting that you think differently.
Multiculturalism acts in direct conflict with a national identity. That is why even in settler nations, a melting pot social structure is preferable to multiculturalism. It also creates an environment of mistrust within communities, as proven by a recent Harvard study.

Places like Europe or where ever else do not need multiculturalism because they already have a culture. Canada has no culture, therefor multiculturalism in a [flawed] way fills that void. But Germany has German culture, and it's the only place in the world where German culture exists. You only dilute that culture when you import thousands of immigrants and tell them it's okay to retain their previous culture instead of assimilating. There is nothing inherently positive about multiculturalism or diversity, and I say that as a student of the University of British Columbia- one of the most diverse communities on Earth. I have friends from very literally all around the world, but I do not value them because of that. I value them because they're good friends. Diversity means nothing to me. A diverse community is not better off than a homogenous community in anyway.

As for religion, it is a platform for self improvement which bonds communities and offers a solid moral backbone. The modern zeitgeist is confusion and nihilism.

Malpraxis

Trust me, I'm a Doctor.
Jul 30, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Oh...I do sorta like how a guy could always wear a suit, no matter what was going on.
This. I wear suits everywhere and people who don't know me always ask "why are you so dressed up?" and sometimes makes them uncomfortable.

Oh, and the OP's idea too. I always like to sleep when I take a flight, because it's the closest thing I have to teleporting somewhere, and always, freaking always, theres a noisy kid/baby there. I resorted to knocking myself out with a couple strong pills and a drink, so I guess I hate children so much that I'd rather die in the event of a plane crash than hear them.