On Racism...Londoners have an unpleasant time on a Tram...

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Danny Ocean said:
Stuff gets cheaper, too, so households benefit, and firms benefit from a higher return on investment.
Meanwhile wages are driven down, or at least their growth is reduced. Firms have to lower or freeze more elastic prices as the wages of consumers don't keep up with inflation. That's just price adjustment.

http://britishfreedom.org/why-british-employers-prefer-foreign-workers

Your argument rests on a positive correlation between immigration and unemployment, which doesn't seem to exist:

Keep in mind the former graph is net migrations, not immigrations, so imagine it upside down I think. Either way there's not much of a correlation.

What actually seems to have happened is, as could be predicted, immigrants also consume, which decreases unemployment.
Lies, damned lies and statistics. Those figures are very misleading. It does not state whether that is indigenous or immigrant unemployment.

Unemployment seems to go down because immigrants are taking up new jobs.

Between 1997 and 2010, more than half of the rise in employment in the UK was accounted for by foreign nationals.

The unemployment rate was 7.7 per cent ? down from 7.8 per cent from the preceding quarter, with unemployment falling fastest among the 16-24 age group.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/8636476/Three-out-of-four-new-jobs-go-to-foreign-workers.html

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Fagotto said:
And caring that it stays mostly white is pretty racist as well. It shouldn't matter.
Time for me to play Devil's Advocate (rubs hands together, twirls moustache, etc).

Say I and a bunch of like-minded fellows decided to move to Zambia. Once there we start inviting over our cousins, cousins' wives, cousins' wives half-brothers' hamsters, and so on. My mates Ahmed and Raj come over as well, so it's not just us whities, it's a lovely multicultural melting-pot. At first the local Zambians are grateful for the extra foreign labour, academic expertise and international trading links that we bring. Unfortunately, me and my pals start wearing out our welcome when we start insisting on speaking our native lnguages instead of the indigenous Lusaka (see, I Wikipedia'd this and everything). My pal Raj starts lobbying for Asian History Month in the local schools. Ahmed gets offended by the local customs and insists that they cease, along with an apology. At this point, some of indigenous Zambians point out that if we don't like it, we can f*ck off back to where we came from - they're happy to have tourists, even some immigrants, but frankly me and my pals are dicking around with their culture and changing the face of their previously black-majority country. At this point, me, Raj and Ahmed glance at eachother, and shout in unison:

"WE ARE ZAMBIANS! THIS IS OUR COUNTRY TOO! Y U NO LIKE DIVERSITY? YOU ARE RACIST!"

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Volf99 said:
well I won't claim to know UK(English?British?)laws on freedom of speech, but if she did this in America, then you know what I'm about to say....which is that she has the freedom to say that. Guess what? I'm also Polish (1/4) and I think she has the RIGHT to say that (if it was in America) regardless of whether or not I agree with it. A great man once said,

"I may not like what you have to say, but I will fight for your right to say it"
- Voltaire
We don't actually have a "freedom of speech" law in the UK.

You can say what the hell you like as long as it doesn't incite hatred, violence, racism or sexism.

So basically our "freedom of speech" is limited.

And that is how I like it. The only problem with giving full on "freedom of speech" is it gives morons the chance to talk bollocks and not be regulated.

For instance, groups like Americas Westbro Baptist Church just wouldn't be tolerated in the UK and would have been dealt with either legally or not quite so legally. Either way they wouldn't have been around here very long.

Long story short, our "freedom of speech" is moderated in order to be able to deal with people like the one in the video clip.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Fagotto said:
Notice how race only had anything to do with this at the very end of it when you seemingly dragged it in out of nowhere, and was not in fact relevant to the reason they dislike you. It wasn't your race that made you act in a manner that messed with their lives.
True - and for what it's worth I think that multiculturalism causes conflict not due to society becoming multi-racial (I don't give a flying one what colour your skin is), but the conflict and competition between cultures.

Frequently though, race, culture and religion go hand-in-hand.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Guys, please don't pay any attention to the chavs and foul-mouthed slappers like this woman. We all despise them too. You get idiots in every society. Note that she was surrounded by regular folks shouting her down, recording the incident as evidence, a non-too-pleased train guard etc and is now being arrested.

On that note, please bear in mind that if you live in or come to Britain and kick off like that somewhere other than your own home or the right kind of local boozer, you'll probably come in for similar sanction.

/evenhanded_tourism_board_statement

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
I can't decide if the fact that she was arrested was right or wrong. Sure, she was a total douche-nozzle, but is it not her right to spout hate in public? Although, it did upset the passengers quite a bit. Then again, WBC upsets thousands of people with their ridiculous protests.

I feel like arresting her was dangerously close to infringing on her rights. She didn't hurt anyone physically and she didn't address anyone personally or directly with her rant. No laws were broken that I can see.

Satsuki666 said:
Hate speech and racism are not covered by freedom of speech.
That's absolutely false. I could link you to numerous examples, but I'm sure it wouldn't take much effort to do it yourself and I just woke up so I'm lazy.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Fagotto said:
Well yeah, the real reason it would cause conflict is that the cultures differ on certain points and both try to act in the way they see fit. But I can't say I care much for the idea of defending one's culture by essentially wanting the others to be second class citizens who have no voice in politics, which more or less seemed to be what Octogun wanted. And worse still deciding who is 'other' simply based on their race.
Of course there should be no second-class citizens - especially not over something as arbitrary as race, which would penalise second- and third-generation citizens of foreign descent, mixed-race people, etc.

Speaking about culture though, I think it's not unreasonable for any indigenous people to want to protect their cultural identity. Western colonialism is quite rightly seen as having had very destructive effects on the indigenous cultures, and steps have been taken, post-colonialism, to restore these countries' national identities. Why then should European countries not be allowed to protect their own identities from the effects of multiculturalism?

I'd like to see stronger restrictions on immigration put in place to address this. Firstly, European countries such as the UK simply don't have the infrastructure or resources to allow unchecked immigration - a limit has to be imposed (the current limit is too high). Also, new immigrants should be made aware that their citizenship is a privilege, not a right. If aspects of British life offend you, then it may be better that you don't live here. Please try to integrate, dont segregate yourself into ghettos with your own shops and faith schools. And please, please, learn to speak English fluently and without such a strong accent that people will find it difficult to understand you (this should be made absolutely compulsory for anybody who wants to work in the emergency services or in healthcare).

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Octogunspunk said:
Danny Ocean said:
Stuff gets cheaper, too, so households benefit, and firms benefit from a higher return on investment.
Meanwhile wages are driven down, or at least their growth is reduced. Firms have to lower or freeze more elastic prices as the wages of consumers don't keep up with inflation. That's just price adjustment.
Wages go down, demand goes down, prices go down to match wages. As you said, that's just price adjustment.

http://britishfreedom.org/why-british-employers-prefer-foreign-workers
They prefer foreign workers because they're more productive. That's it. They do the same or more for less pay. If British people don't want to compete then that's their loss. You might say those jobs don't pay enough, but then I'd have to ask how the foreign workers survive themselves. They must pay enough to live on. We just don't want to do them because we feel we're entitled to higher wages because- I dunno- we're British or something.

Lies, damned lies and statistics. Those figures are very misleading. It does not state whether that is indigenous or immigrant unemployment.
Well all you said was this:

Meanwhile, unemployment increases as the jobs market becomes overcrowded and impossibly competitive.
Which is, as shown, not true. If you want to phrase another separate argument and concede this one then by all means feel free to do so, but don't go acting like I'm twisting figures when you're twisting terms to try and remain correct.

Unemployment seems to go down because immigrants are taking up new jobs.

Between 1997 and 2010, more than half of the rise in employment in the UK was accounted for by foreign nationals.

The unemployment rate was 7.7 per cent ? down from 7.8 per cent from the preceding quarter, with unemployment falling fastest among the 16-24 age group.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/8636476/Three-out-of-four-new-jobs-go-to-foreign-workers.html
Your own figures there are not so conclusive; from the same article:

The ONS yesterday stressed that the figures for the number of non-UK born people includes individuals who were born outside the country, but also have British nationality.
The article states that:

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said 334,000 foreign-born workers had taken up jobs in the past year, compared with 77,000 people born in Britain.
Considering 'the past year' means financial year 2009-2010, it is not quite as one might think it is

The employment rate for British nationals in the three months to March was around 71 per cent, the figures show, a rise of only 0.3 per cent compared with the same period last year.
Growth in employment for foreign workers was 2.2 per cent but the overall foreign employment rate was only 67.8 per cent.
Duh. There's more British nationals than non-British nationals in Britain. Much more. Of course our rate of growth of employment is going to be lower.

Earlier this month Iain Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, reignited the debate over foreign workers by saying businesses had a responsibility to recruit jobless British youths rather than immigrant labourers.
Immigrants are not taking up new jobs to the extent you imply- they're taking up the jobs British nationals used to have, which they then lost because they refused to take pay cuts during the recession.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
She should not be breeding. We need ways to stop people like her from having kids. I hope her child is taken off her, to me she looked under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
It's a shame no one wrapped a metal rod round her head to shut her up.
She's gonna love prison though... I never find joy in the suffering of others, but I can throw my morals out the window this one time. ***** deserves every beating she's going to get.

Broknhead

Oct 26, 2011
Vanguard_Ex said:
Broknhead said:
its called freedom of speech. i dont know of a "freedom from being offended by speech" version of that law. also, if its anyone but a white person spouting off like this, is it a crime? if this was directed at white people, would it be a crime? im thinking probably not.
Yeah, freedom of speech, not freedom of consequences. Don't patronise me.

Yes, yes it is a crime. Do you have reason to think different or are you just paranoid?
If you're going to argue the facts that I'm merely presenting, you're going to need more than what 'you think' about a hypothetical scenario.
the title of this thread basically sums it up "they had an unpleasant tram ride"

sticks and stones blah blah blah. all this did was make her look stupid, no one was denied any rights, no one was injured, and they all gained an interesting story to ***** about to their coworkers/family

TownTattle

Nov 7, 2011
Do you know what's worse than that video? The internet's reaction to it.

So many dumb people on here respond to this woman's racism with more racism, sexism and threats of violence. And this isn't one isolated case, like the woman in the video, it's hundreds of people. I think that is what needs to be talked about. Not one stupid woman's bigotry.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Broknhead said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Broknhead said:
its called freedom of speech. i dont know of a "freedom from being offended by speech" version of that law. also, if its anyone but a white person spouting off like this, is it a crime? if this was directed at white people, would it be a crime? im thinking probably not.

Yes, yes it is a crime. Do you have reason to think different or are you just paranoid?
If you're going to argue the facts that I'm merely presenting, you're going to need more than what 'you think' about a hypothetical scenario.
the title of this thread basically sums it up "they had an unpleasant tram ride"

sticks and stones blah blah blah. all this did was make her look stupid, no one was denied any rights, no one was injured, and they all gained an interesting story to ***** about to their coworkers/family
'Sticks and stones' is a saying that has never been true, are you really trying to blow the whole situation off based on a stupid little saying people give to kids to try and make them ignore bullies?
She broke the law dude, although given what you've based yourself on so far I don't expect you to even understand that.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Volf99 said:
well I won't claim to know UK(English?British?)laws on freedom of speech, but if she did this in America, then you know what I'm about to say....which is that she has the freedom to say that. Guess what? I'm also Polish (1/4) and I think she has the RIGHT to say that (if it was in America) regardless of whether or not I agree with it. A great man once said,

"I may not like what you have to say, but I will fight for your right to say it"
- Voltaire
We don't actually have a "freedom of speech" law in the UK.

You can say what the hell you like as long as it doesn't incite hatred, violence, racism or sexism.

So basically our "freedom of speech" is limited.

And that is how I like it. The only problem with giving full on "freedom of speech" is it gives morons the chance to talk bollocks and not be regulated.

For instance, groups like Americas Westbro Baptist Church just wouldn't be tolerated in the UK and would have been dealt with either legally or not quite so legally. Either way they wouldn't have been around here very long.

Long story short, our "freedom of speech" is moderated in order to be able to deal with people like the one in the video clip.
As I have stated in other post, I am approaching this topic from an American perspective and I do have a limited knowledge of UK laws. Also, you may support your country's outlook on freedom of speech, while I fully support my country's approach to freedom of speech.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Volf99 said:
As I have stated in other post, I am approaching this topic from an American perspective and I do have a limited knowledge of UK laws. Also, you may support your country's outlook on freedom of speech, while I fully support my country's approach to freedom of speech.
I wasn't having a dig I just used Westbro as an example of what would be regulated in the UK.

I'm not saying we don't have those kind of morons but they are quiet so we don't hear about them.

I know a lot of people that view a full on "freedom of speech" as a good thing whereas I think some people just need to be told when to shut the feth up.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Volf99 said:
I wasn't having a dig I just used Westbro as an example of what would be regulated in the UK.

I'm not saying we don't have those kind of morons but they are quiet so we don't hear about them.

I know a lot of people that view a full on "freedom of speech" as a good thing whereas I think some people just need to be told when to shut the feth up.
hmm... I understand what your saying, I guess I just disagree.

Broknhead

Oct 26, 2011
Vanguard_Ex said:
Broknhead said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Broknhead said:

'Sticks and stones' is a saying that has never been true, are you really trying to blow the whole situation off based on a stupid little saying people give to kids to try and make them ignore bullies?
She broke the law dude, although given what you've based yourself on so far I don't expect you to even understand that.
something being against the law means its harmful right? what damage does this cause anyone?

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Octo, I'm rather intrigued by whence you stumbled across your array of knowledge when it comes to Marxism and politics in Britain. Don't get me wrong, some of what you said was good, if some of it totally unoriginal and lacking thought - especially on that whole Cultural Marxism episode you spoke highly of as an example of 'coining' the term racism as un-eponymous to itself.

I'd like a list of what books were you reading when you wanted to place that mask of culminated artificial knowledge on that face of yours. Your thoughts are as dangerous as a proletarian wearing the mask of an academic and trying to give a history lesson on politics, socioeconomics and morality.
Haha. I'm sorry if I come across as trying to be some academic authority, I'm not. Just someone who sees through the lies built into society.

Yet you think my thoughts are dangerous, that says it all. Just go on and say it, I'm guilty of thoughtcrimes.

Dr Snakeman said:
Look, excluding people from your country because you think that them being different will somehow "taint" your culture is a bad thing. If someone wants to live somewhere else, and intends to abide by the laws of their new country, to immigrate legally, and to contribute to society, then they have every right to do just that. Saying that you don't want them because you think they look funny is wrong. No exceptions.
No, no it isn't. Cultures and civilisations are not blank slates which should be some sort of free-for-all. First of all, they have accepted, commonly spoken indigenous languages. In the United Kingdom, that's English, Welsh, Gaelic, and a few minor languages. When nationals of another country, with another language, immigrate here in large numbers and continue to speak their native language in their own communities, they invariably change the landscape, creating a language barrier to the indigenous people. This is harmful to community cohesion, because you have considerable portions of the population who cannot understand one another. It is acceptable when this happens on a small scale within major cities- small enclaves such as Chinatown for instance, can be a haven for those Chinese who do not wish to speak English more fluently. Yet when this happens on a national scale, it is almost always divisive. It places an unnecessary burden on society in terms of translation costs and loss of community. There can be several different languages coexisting within a country, as is evident in bilingual Wales, though even this creates conflict. Imagine what would happen, then, if we let another million or so Arabic-speakers in with the freedom to speak primarily Arabic. They place a burden on society to speak their language or become mutually exclusive. How would you like it if thousands of people swamped your previously English-speaking neighbourhood with a completely foreign language that you cannot understand, with no intention to learn fluent English? Would you not rightly feel like your community or local area had been invaded or otherwise externally changed? Relative linguistic homogenity is essential to community cohesion. You don't get this sort of local community in cities anymore, only non-English speakers do in their enclaves.

So, a shared language is one requirement of a stable, cohesive national culture.

Then there are cultural values, traditions, etc. Social aspects of culture demand that people have a reasonably shared sense of social etiquette. This minimises conflict between strangers, and facilitates trust. Etiquette can be considerably different between culture regions -- and indigenous people may rightly feel aggreived and offended when someone comes to their country and does not respect certain basic social tenets and understandings. When we go abroad, we are told to abide by local customs at the very least. It should be even more important for people who intend to immigrate to a country. The more people who come to a country and disregard the pre-existing culture, the more social cohesion and trust decrease, and the more people - both indigenous and immigrants - will feel alienated.
The burden should be on the immigrant, not the original inhabitant. You would never go to China and expect a warm welcome if you adopted rude behaviours now, would you? You'd just be another rude foreigner - and with unchecked mass immigration, that's a lot of rude foreigners deciding to permanently reside in the country on a large scale. Some immigrants may indeed respect local customs, but a large portion of others will not unless they are strongly pressured to do so. Local culture needs to be assertive or it will be displaced and weakened by a mish mash of foreign cultures. It just isn't the same country if millions of foreigners come and don't integrate with the indigenous culture to an expected degree. People shouldn't be expected to surrender their national or cultural heritage in its entirety, but the principle remains the same. If it's going to impose upon local cohesion and make the indigenous peoples feel unwelcome, or change the character of the local community considerably, it should not be allowed. Cultures do change healthily and naturally, but by the will and self-determination of insiders, not relative newcomers.

Oh, I have plenty more to say about this later, but I'm going to cut it short for now.