One Direction fanfic to be published as novel

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Hopefully, all this fanfiction becoming that successful will lead to a copyright reform so in the future, artists can publish fanfiction without having to disfigure the characters to avoid the IP owner's wrath.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Why. Aren't. They. Publishing. Any. Of. The. Good. Fanfics.

This is filling me with UNCONTROLLABLE RAAAAGE

SO MUCH TALENT is hidden away behind all the shit on FF.net and it's being ignored in favour of the shit!

GAaaaaaahhhh... [http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5775707/1/Mass-Effect-Interregnum]

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
OhJohnNo said:
Why. Aren't. They. Publishing. Any. Of. The. Good. Fanfics.

This is filling me with UNCONTROLLABLE RAAAAGE

SO MUCH TALENT is hidden away behind all the shit on FF.net and it;s being ignored in favour of the shit!

GAaaaaaahhhh... [http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5775707/1/Mass-Effect-Interregnum]
Because most of the good fanfiction actually uses the strenghts of it's source, as it is written by hardcore fans who care about the intricacies of the setting, while bad fanfic is just some teenage girl's random wish-fulfillment/fetish/"cool" idea, projected onto some random novel/show/etc. that she just found a week before.

So when you need to officially publish it, you can just rename the characters, and it had nothing else to do with the souce material to begin with, so it will be entirely "clean" as far as the copyright industry is concerned.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Elect G-Max said:
STOP LIKING THINGS THAT I DON'T LIKE!!!

Can we move on with our lives now?
Yes please. Ignore and it goes away. The stupidity didn't increase over the past decades, the internet just gave us access to a lot more of it.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
What did books ever do to deserve this?!

If anybody wants me, you'll fin me half-way down a bottle of Gin... crying.
Stop watering down my Gin! Or if you have to, atleast pass me some lemon to counter out the salt!

But yeah, your answer to the OP is pretty much my own reaction to this circus. I can't really remember if YA-novels where ever good though. But still..

(There has to be better fan-fics than "Girl+One Direction! OMG, DRAMA!" that could get published? Right? Granted that most of it would probably be smut, but much of that smut is actually really well written.)

(Edit:
My thought process whilst making this post:
"What the hell is One Direction anyway?"
*post*
*google: One Direction*
"Hu-h.. Never heard of. Cute guys I guess, can see why they're popular."
*youtube search: One Direction*
"Well.. This was bland..."

Why did I expect anything else?)

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Magic Muffin Man said:
Sure, it's probably cliche-ridden drivel, but she's also a 16 year old girl who doesn't know any better.
When I was 13, I finished reading David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. I'd read most of Chuck Palahniuk's fiction that had been published at the time, as well. I was a fan of Douglas Adams. I understood the importance of originality, and abhorred fanfiction.

Youth is no excuse for literary ignorance, especially if you're getting published.

(Sorry for dropping such a bomb of pretension, by the way)

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
excalipoor said:
I have no idea what this One Direction is, but it was a thread exactly like this one that made me look up 50 Shades of Gray. You're not getting me this time.
They're a boy-band, which I'm ashamed to say hail from the shores of my homeland.

Basically, take Justin Beiber... then multiply him by five (in case one wasn't enough)

There you are, you have One Direction.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
Publishers are some sneaky bastards.
[sup]and are apparently better at economics than most[/sup]

Who reads more books, men or women? Women. Who is utterly enthralled with romance? Teenage girls. Who can't into literature? Answer that yourself.

These publishers have found a wide market that A)Will consume in copious amounts anything including romance, famous people, or attractive boys. And B)Don't care much about how well written/made/etc. the thing they are consuming is (as long as it includes one of the previous things).

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Fayathon said:
JaceArveduin said:
Enter thread to see what the fuck One Direction is, and why I have to stock shit from them every
I actually found out about it from some fanfic thread here on the Escapist months ago. I love the bastard to death, but I wished he'd keep to a damn schedule.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
[sub][sub]and with autoplay you demon![/sub][/sub]

And on another note, this makes me sad but it also doesn't really affect me. There are already 5 billion books I will never want to read in my life. I can add one more to that list.

As for the person whose life's work was passed over for this fanfic, we truly feel for you. This is a terrible sign for the publishing industry. Just plain sad.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
He does, it's one update every two weeks for On the Wings of Dragons. I think we're about due for another chapter in the next few days.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Elect G-Max said:
Please explain what "One Direction" means and how it is relevant to fanfiction.
<youtube=QJO3ROT-A4E>

You punched your screen in, didn't you?

OT: Meh. I won't read it, simple as that.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Fayathon said:
JaceArveduin said:
He does, it's one update every two weeks for On the Wings of Dragons. I think we're about due for another chapter in the next few days.
It's roughly every two weeks. He started out updating on Tuesdays, but he's gone almost 3 weeks on one of the chapters.

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
NinjaDeathSlap said:
What did books ever do to deserve this?!
I wouldn't go so far as to ask what books have done to deserve such treatment...

I would, in fact, ask what it is that trees have done to deserve this though.

Just think, somewhere in the world there is an oxygen factory living out its old life being cut down. Then as it turns its tree head and sees its tree friends meeting the same fate, it will wonder why this is happening. Then after some process it will have a fanfic, piggyback book printed on it, while other, more privileged trees are being turned into such things as toilet paper. Then it will wonder just where in life it went wrong.

But I digress. Wait, no I don't, I ramble.

Ramble, ramble, ramble.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I thought One Direction was a book, looked it up, turns out to be a boy band.

Waht.

This makes little sense to me. I'm going to close this tab and go find a Batman thread or something.

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
I was hoping it would at least be her Mary-sue on the entirety of One Direction so we can at least get some polygamy/harem style stuff going on and get some real controversy. These fanfics are all so boring :(

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
You know, if it wasn't a self-insert and a romance, I might read it. It could have been a horror story with lots of drama and angst and maybe a budding love story thrown in there....

Excuse me...I think this just inspired me to go re-read Battle Royale.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I'ma go back to the soothing thread where e'eryone be all classy and such...

OT: I guess its okay for fanfiction authors to dream that they will some day be recognized and given validation.
Its a shame that the chosen have been regarding current pop culture. I guess it's what sells, but from a personal perspective, guh...

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
There is so much and so little to say about this, so I guess I'll just say...

Welp, I'm not reading it. Peace.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
PsychicTaco115 said:
Just wondering, how often do you change your picture?

OT:
It looks like reading's now longer for smart people.
At least people are reading, the next step is making the reading more intellegent.