One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

agentironman

Sep 22, 2009
I have all three systems, I bought the wii for golf. The PS3 for Blu-ray and a few titles (God of War and Infamous), and the 360 to 95% of my games. Mainly due to the fact that PS3 do not have a lot of games in 1080. Both systems are great but when it comes down to it the choice is pretty easy. 360. The current hack is huge but not that big a deal it will happen to 360 at some point. What bothers me is that Sony did a half-assed job of securing our information. Not much they can do with mine as all my info is outdated but there will be others that will get hit by this major blunder.

Sony should have spend some extra money beefing up their customers security. I am sure the other consoles will be looking at their security and improving it or at least I hope they do as they will be next on the hit list.

t3h br0th3r

May 7, 2009
Don't put too much into this.

People may want to sell there ps3s and buy a 360 but the real question is how many will have the money to. as long as they have online back in working order before the first friday in May (payday for many)they won't suffer that much.

What this may mean is an oprptunity to get a PS3 cheep because no one is buying. assuming you can get online without giving too much info or you can lie to the machine it might be a good time to buy.

Rusty Shakleford of 123 Sesame Street has been ripped off so much there is nothing left.

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
The $24 billion figure is a little unrealistic, because it works under the assumption that every single PS3 owner will have to be compensated. Remember, even video game journalists have a responsibility to be objective and thorough.

BDNeon

Jan 14, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Why not? Apart from different exclusives and a pay-for online service, the 360 is basically a similar console with the same games. Microsoft's doors are always open for converts.
And that is precisely why I will NEVER buy a Microsoft Console. Too expensive compared to PS3 and doesn't offer enough.

One time payment is always cheaper in the long run then a lifetime of subscription fees.

I paid 600$ on my launch PS3, and have used the online feature on it all this time in the 4 years I've had the system. Launch 360 cost 400$, plus 4 years of Live fees = 600$. And that's not counting the upcoming years until the next generation of consoles, and also not taking into account the fact that barely any of the launch 360's have survived to this day, while I'm still on my original PS3.

Tennou486

Dec 26, 2008
In my opinion, if the same thing happened to Microsoft, people would say that everyone should switch to PSN. Its just people overreacting. While I might do a few more PSN points cards from now on just in case, I have both consoles and will still play on both consoles.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
BDNeon said:
MercurySteam said:
Why not? Apart from different exclusives and a pay-for online service, the 360 is basically a similar console with the same games. Microsoft's doors are always open for converts.
And that is precisely why I will NEVER buy a Microsoft Console. Too expensive compared to PS3 and doesn't offer enough.

One time payment is always cheaper in the long run then a lifetime of subscription fees.

I paid 600$ on my launch PS3, and have used the online feature on it all this time in the 4 years I've had the system. Launch 360 cost 400$, plus 4 years of Live fees = 600$. And that's not counting the upcoming years until the next generation of consoles.
You don't have to pay for LIVE, it's basically only for online multiplayer. If you play online then yes, it's cheaper in the long run to own a PS3 but you pay to use a reliable service and so it can be maintained. You'll never know till you try, so I don't really think you're able to judge whether it's worth it or not till you give it a spin.

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
I don't know if I can ever drop sony completely. I greatly like my psp and I pretty much prefer my ps3 for single player games.

That said I'm gonna play my xbox 360 for a good while till this all gets solved.

To be honest, i believe this is a situation where everyone is at fault. From the bad hackers who did it, to sony possibly waiting too long to tell everyone or possibly not using the best protection.

I also seem to be seeing alot of the blame placed on geohotz. I don't know how much of this may have to do with his situation, but it is a really big coincidence for all this to go down after the case settlement; however, I will not point fingers with out achieving more information.

TrogzTheTroll

Aug 11, 2009
Father Time said:
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?
No. The entire industry crashed once and there was Microsoft's Red Ring of Death Fiasco (which was caused by Microsoft and not by external forces).
I don't see how Red Rings were as much as an issue as this. Red Rings caused an annoyance and a bit of time wasted as you got your new system. This puts your security at risk, and is still annoying.

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?

I kind of pity Sony. I feel like this might severely damages their chances at doing any good in future console races.
E.T. and Pac Man 2600 would like a word with you

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
This... is really not good. Not good at all.
I still can't shake the feeling though that the folks over at Microsoft are pretty damn happy about this whole incident...

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Still buying a PS3 later, I'll be more convinced if it'll play PS2 games without requiring me to Jailbreak it.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
Maybe I've missed a few other recent developments, but in light of the Rebug rumor (which says that it wasn't customer data being compromised, but an abundance of fraudulent accounts using stolen credit cards), it just feels like people are jumping the gun. Seriously, we're not even sure exactly what's gone on, hacker attack, fraud accounts, there seems to still be a lot of speculation. Sure, Sony's tight-lipped attitude may be hurting them, but when you've had a security breach, the last thing you do is blab about it. It's common sense; police keep details of investigations away from the press to prevent copycats and allow them to verify witness testimonials.
I'm not going anywhere. I've had my PSP for years and I just got my PS3; I'm not going to jump ship just because of a hiccup. All I have to do is change my password when it comes back up (I've never furnished them any of my financial data; I've only downloaded demos and was planning on using prepaid cards anyway).
Switching over to another console isn't a guarantee of a repeat on that network. All networks are vulnerable at some point and in some way (I'm told Live went down for 2 weeks a few years ago). Switching from a Toyota to a Volvo won't decrease your chances of getting in an accident.
Yes, I like Sony. Call me a shill or sheep or whatever you will, but this isn't that bad. Grow up and get some perspective. Sony has a responsibility to its customers, yes it's true, but they're not omniscient, and neither is Microsoft or Nintendo.

Now, if this happens again down the road....