One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

Nopenahnuhuh

Nov 17, 2009
Mr.Petey said:
DJJ66 said:
lol americans are silly.
Hyuk! Your post is sillier!

If people want to leave, then that's their own choice. Personally though it kinda reeks of more money that sense if they want to trade in all their games and fork out more cash for a new console. I'm happy with mine and I can't wait to get back onto the network
Sorry if that was insulting, wasn't my intention.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
Why? WHY!? They're working to get it up,they fucked up, so what? If it happened to microsoft what would happen?

As I explained in another thread this has "Bank Job Fallout" written all over it. Everyone sees the job, everyone sees the criminal get past the defenses and everyone sees that they make it look a bit easy. So everyone acts like it's the end of the world, talks about how they've been cheated (despite it being the first time that bank is ever robbed) and goes on to sue or leave.

What they don't see are the months of planning that had to go into the criminal's attempt, the information that had to be gathered, etc...

People don't even know if SONY's defenses were good or shitty yet and they're simply yelling "HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!?" as if this has happened every year since the PS1 was released 11 years ago. Once in 11 years is actually a fucking good run.

Yeah, I'm pissed it happened to me too, but people are over reacting. People swinging the litigation hammer, claiming to represent us all (Fuck you, no you don't represent me) thinking they can rush SONY into doing a better job if they scare them with litigation.

Let me tell you something. Make SONY focus on a court case AND this and it'll go slower.
I put my money in a bank. It gets robbed. Isn't a sensible decision to take my money and put it in a bank that has a better track record?

Personally, I think they're right to sue Sony. If I had my information stolen, I'd like to know the second it happens (or as soon as possible). Two or three days is a long time on the internet, especially when you have a stolen credit card number.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Grospoliner said:
Herpa derpa derp. I'm a panicky coward who runs away at the first sign of danger.

There is no such thing as perfect security. Or perfect anything for that matter. Deal with your own insecurity issues first.
This isn't a Regiment. We're allowed to change sides.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Awexsome said:
Well good job Geohotz.

By giving others the capability to break the law you've succeeded in hurting a major corporation. Go burn in hell.

Perhaps Sony could've done better but that doesn't exempt him of what he did. He let this happen with his innocent little, "Oh I can't control what people do with it." Fuck you. Fuck you Geo and die.
Wait, so... Allowing users to install custom Firmware on their PS3 is letting hackers break directly into Sony-side servers?

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
One in five people are apparently idiots and think that an "external intrusion" and data loss cannot happen to xbox. Or they just want to play online.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
AndrewC said:
LOL MICRO$OFT ARE TEH BEST, LOL SONY.

This is a pretty big problem for Sony (understatement), I'm not exactly their biggest fan but I do hope they resolve this.

Remember the days when the world wasn't so dependant on teh interwebz :p
Remember the days when spelling "Microsoft" with a dollar sign was considered witty?

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Most of my friends converted to PS3's in the last year.

The majority of them play online.

I warned them about it's occasional problems, having owned one since launch.

I believe that this could be a deal breaker if it's not repaired soon, and all signs point to:

NOT ANYTIME THIS WEEK.

dan-wah

Dec 21, 2010
here's a fuckin' tip, buy £/$ cards then you won't have credit card details stolen ;D

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
Jonci said:
One of us! One of us!
lol thats great :p and ya i own an xbox and a ps3 and im considering selling mine just because I don't think sony can be trusted with my stuff anymore

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
koroem said:
Andy Chalk said:

A new survey has found that one-fifth of PlayStation 3 owners in the U.S. are considering a switch to the Xbox 360 in the wake of the Great PlayStation Network Security Breach.

So 8 pages of comments and only like 2 other people hinted at how ridiculous this claim of 1/5 of U.S. PS3 owners are thinking of switching?

Andy Chalk said:

Commissioned by CouponCodes4U "in order to assess gamer attitudes towards the affair," the survey encompassed 2132 people across the U.S., finding that 41 percent of them own PlayStation 3 consoles.

So 41% of 2132 people, so roughly 874.12 people.

Andy Chalk said:

89 percent of those PS3 owners said they were concerned that their personal data may have been stolen in the breach; 65 percent said their trust in Sony and PSN had been "greatly affected"; and 21 percent claimed they were considering selling their PS3 units and switching to Microsoft's Xbox 360.

So 21% of the 874.12 PS3 owners from the survey are considering selling their PS3s and getting a 360.

21% of 874.12, so 183.5652 people. Lets say for sake of argument 184 people.

184 people, are representative of 1/5 of the nations PS3 owners? This survey, article, and claims made from this information seem to be band riding and flame baiting the anti-Sony press as of late.

And before anyone accuses me of being a PS3/Sony humper: I have owned every major console since the atari 2600, and my perfered gaming platform is the custom PC I built. The only fanboyism here is to intel cpus and nvidia gpus in PCs.
I just got put on probation for stating exactly this but in I guess less polite terms.

I can't believe you're the second person to realise that this article is ridiculous.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I might just sell my PS3 and... not get another console. I don't have a TV at university anyways.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
dan-wah said:
here's a fuckin' tip, buy £/$ cards then you won't have credit card details stolen ;D
I didn't even have a card on my PSN as I had only activated for a free game download. However there is still the problem of all of the other information needed to create a PSN account that they have.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Alade said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Why? WHY!? They're working to get it up,they fucked up, so what? If it happened to microsoft what would happen?

As I explained in another thread this has "Bank Job Fallout" written all over it. Everyone sees the job, everyone sees the criminal get past the defenses and everyone sees that they make it look a bit easy. So everyone acts like it's the end of the world, talks about how they've been cheated (despite it being the first time that bank is ever robbed) and goes on to sue or leave.

What they don't see are the months of planning that had to go into the criminal's attempt, the information that had to be gathered, etc...

People don't even know if SONY's defenses were good or shitty yet and they're simply yelling "HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!?" as if this has happened every year since the PS1 was released 11 years ago. Once in 11 years is actually a fucking good run.

Yeah, I'm pissed it happened to me too, but people are over reacting. People swinging the litigation hammer, claiming to represent us all (Fuck you, no you don't represent me) thinking they can rush SONY into doing a better job if they scare them with litigation.

Let me tell you something. Make SONY focus on a court case AND this and it'll go slower.
The whole point is that it didn't happen to microsoft, and until it does, Sony screwed up, big time.
Ah, so the hacker simply decided to attack SONY instead of Microsoft, a company in all likelihood the same would have happened to, and so SONY screwed up. I do love how everyone is acting like SONY only had a firewall in place between us and their data. If that were the case, they'd have been hacked years ago (the PSN I mean, not cracked consoles). We don't know their security levels. No point in acting like it's the world's end

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
The Naked Emperor said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

Security was shitty. The hack job couldn't have been done on this scale if it wasn't. At the very least they should have spread the personal information across multiple servers to isolate the damage.

No security is impenetrable but there's a big difference between a locked door and a hole in the wall that's covered by a sheet.

I pretty much agree with everything this guy says: http://www.lordkat.com/why-im-picking-sony.html
And see, it's exaggerations like this that are bothering me. Yeah sure, there's a difference between a vault (or locked door) and a hole with a sheet over it, but I'd hardly call it a sheet. Again, BASED on SONY's desire to rebuild it from the ground up, they might simply be changing a few things. Placing the information in new areas while they rebuild. Someone out there knows how to hack them. If Sony simply changes procedure, then the information is still stored the same way. Now if someone talks, someone else hacks them, they can still get away with a transaction or two or a BIT of personal information before being caught.

Unless we know what their security is, exactly how their security is, exagerations aren't really getting us places

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
Yeah, I would be pissed if my credit details were stolen too. Thankfully I never used a credit card on my account, havent even been playing on my PS3 for like 2 months