Online Pass Required to Play as Arkham City's Catwoman

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Meh, I don't really care.
I've preordered my Robin edition, my Live gold sub is 2 years strong.
I got the 18th and 19th off work and I've just finished up Dead Island (ie: I got bored of it).

Bring on the Bat! ...and the Cat. Haw.

But I still think, right or wrong... this is going to really fuck over some people.
Particularly financially challenged catwoman fans with no internet connection...

Plus announcing it 5 days before release?
Not even enough time for game magazines to print the news...
All those non internet connected catwoman fans are gonna be pretty surprised when they load up the game lmao!

Yeah, dick move.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
svenjl said:
BakaSmurf said:
Good, second-hand buyers that ***** need to get it in their heads that developers like to make a goddamn profit on the games they put time and money into, and if doing shit like this is the only way to damn well ensure they do, then so be it.

Stuff like this doesn't effect me either way, seeing as how I always buy my games new, because I actually like to, y'know, support dev teams that I like, as opposed to being a leech that takes from them without giving back.
Oh, and I suppose you're so fancy free and flush with cash that you've never bought ANYTHING second-hand, right?! Condescending prick.
No, if I don't have the money to buy games new, I simply don't buy the game until I can get them new, because, as I've said, I actually like to support game devs that I like, and if that makes me a prick, then I'm King Prick Fuckington of Prick Island, fuck me for wanting to ensure that the people that work their asses off for quite possibly years at a time actually recieve a profit for their work, yeah what a total ass I am for enjoying the thought that because of my ligitimate purchase, there's a game dev somewhere enjoying a good meal.

Yeah, what a complete, fucking asshat I am for that.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
CM156 said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
Oh no, im going to have to support a developer in order to access a negligible amount of content D: The end of gaming is nigh !!
Please. They got paid when the game sold the first time around. Try applying this "Support the developer" logic to other products. Unless you can honestly say you've never bought anything second hand, don't make me laugh.
^This, Oh god, this!
Thank you, sir or ma'am. That's the best argument I've heard today.

OT: I'll buy the Special Edition so I'm getting that anyway. But if I were to get it used, I wouldn't mind. Like someone said, Batman is the main character, so no biggie. Sure, I'll play as Catwoman and I'll have fun and stuff, but it's not something that I wouldn't be able to part with.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Eve Charm said:
1. 25 digit code for catwoman
Um...we're not getting Catwoman. We're getting a 90's Animated Series Batman skin. That's it. Yes to Joker's carnival, yes to animated film, no to Catwoman. It WILL come with the brand new game but it's not a goodie from gamestop. Don't know if you meant that. Blah, just disregard this.

Funny because some other guy thought we'd be getting Robin for free or something. But no, it's just 90's Batman. Other stores are just offering a different skin but that's all. No one's offering Catwoman. Or Robin, for that matter. :/

the spud

May 2, 2011
svenjl said:
the spud said:
How major a feature is Catwoman going to be in the game? Because if she turns out to be a significant part of the game I am going to be pissed.
The Catwoman content is 10% of content according to Rocksteady.
Well, in that case, I am quite pissed off. I will wait till it gets down to like 15 dollars, or borrow it from a friend, just to spite them.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Well if it's 10 bucks, then shouldn't the standard game price drop down by $10? Maybe I don't give a damn about a game's online "VIP" nonsense. Sell me the thing for $50 instead then. And if a $60 game has a so-called "VIP pass," why should consumers have to bother to input it in the first place? Basically we have one day DLC tacked onto a $50 game, raising the price to $60.

At this point, I think it would be funny if Gamestop undercut that "$50 price" I just mentioned for just-released used games.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
BakaSmurf said:
svenjl said:
BakaSmurf said:
Good, second-hand buyers that ***** need to get it in their heads that developers like to make a goddamn profit on the games they put time and money into, and if doing shit like this is the only way to damn well ensure they do, then so be it.

Stuff like this doesn't effect me either way, seeing as how I always buy my games new, because I actually like to, y'know, support dev teams that I like, as opposed to being a leech that takes from them without giving back.
Oh, and I suppose you're so fancy free and flush with cash that you've never bought ANYTHING second-hand, right?! Condescending prick.
No, if I don't have the money to buy games new, I simply don't buy the game until I can get them new, because, as I've said, I actually like to support game devs that I like, and if that makes me a prick, then I'm King Prick Fuckington of Prick Island, fuck me for wanting to ensure that the people that work their asses off for quite possibly years at a time actually recieve a profit for their work, yeah what a total ass I am for enjoying the thought that because of my ligitimate purchase, there's a game dev somewhere enjoying a good meal.

Again, you are aware that the Lion's Share of the money that doesn't go to the product or the retailer goes to the Publisher most of the time, not the developer, who were paid in advance, right?

"I'm sorry, but if this is what we call "supporting the game industry", then I'm not sure this is an industry that deserves to survive. An industry that is so feeble that it can't stand on its initial sales alone, and must invent ways to fund itself whenever its product changes hands, is an industry that has failed in the ways of business and economics."

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
BakaSmurf said:
svenjl said:
BakaSmurf said:

No, not for that, just for your asshat attitude specially given you obviously didn't really pay any attention to the point of my comment. I've read this kind of elitist shit before. I repeat - not everyone in the world can afford to buy new stuff whether it's a game, a car, a book (hello college/university students) or furniture etc. Are you gonna ***** about how libraries are fucking over book publishers and writers?! And nice try with your little tug at the heartstrings poppycock. Devs and publishers who make great games are going to do fine. Those that make poor games or misread the games market are stuffed. Somehow I believe Rocksteady and WB might JUST pull through financially on this one. Poor buggers.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
svenjl said:
the spud said:
How major a feature is Catwoman going to be in the game? Because if she turns out to be a significant part of the game I am going to be pissed.
The Catwoman content is 10% of content according to Rocksteady.
Wow. Didn't see that. Holy crap. They're cutting out 10% of the game if you don't buy new?

For new users, they're locking 10% of the game, which isn't even necessarily online, behind an online pass?

Oct 30, 2010
svenjl said:
BakaSmurf said:
svenjl said:
BakaSmurf said:

No, not for that, just for your asshat attitude specially given you obviously didn't really pay any attention to the point of my comment. I've read this kind of elitist shit before. I repeat - not everyone in the world can afford to buy new stuff whether it's a game, a car, a book (hello college/university students) or furniture etc. Are you gonna ***** about how libraries are fucking over book publishers and writers?! And nice try with your little tug at the heartstrings poppycock. Devs and publishers who make great games are going to do fine. Those that make poor games or misread the games market are stuffed. Somehow I believe Rocksteady and WB might JUST pull through financially on this one. Poor buggers.
I'm not really taking a side, but there are a couple differences between those other things (furniture, cars, books*) and games. Used games are much more likely to be sold alongside new copies. That creates a unusual dynamic. And I suspect the turnover rate is much quicker. I imagine I could find a used copy of Gears of War 3 tomorrow if I wanted, while when I go to the used bookstore I'm frequently buying 10+ year old books.** It is easier to argue used game sales are taking away potential new sales when they happen close to launch.

All that said, I'm not sure whether or not I think publishers should respond to it, or if it is just facts of life. I am confident withholding the information until the week of launch is a dick move.

*yes, textbooks may be an exception to both of those points (though many places selling textbooks, new or used, are not 100% for profit enterprises)

**maybe my experience is not typical, though I suspect I'm correct at least generally

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
viranimus said:
Yep. The precedent set is now an industry standard. Thank you everyone who said "I dont see why this is such a big deal"
This is why people should be offended even if they don't plan to buy a certain game.

Cause eventually that new policy will fuck the game they want :).

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
4173 said:
svenjl said:
BakaSmurf said:
svenjl said:
BakaSmurf said:

I'm not really taking a side, but there are a couple differences between those other things (furniture, cars, books*) and games. Used games are much more likely to be sold alongside new copies. That creates a unusual dynamic. And I suspect the turnover rate is much quicker. I imagine I could find a used copy of Gears of War 3 tomorrow if I wanted, while when I go to the used bookstore I'm frequently buying 10+ year old books.** It is easier to argue used game sales are taking away potential new sales when they happen close to launch.

All that said, I'm not sure whether or not I think publishers should respond to it, or if it is just facts of life. I am confident withholding the information until the week of launch is a dick move.

*yes, textbooks may be an exception to both of those points (though many places selling textbooks, new or used, are not 100% for profit enterprises)

**maybe my experience is not typical, though I suspect I'm correct at least generally
Actually, near my school, there's a local book and comic store that runs the same sort of way GameStop does. I can buy used books that are only a week or two old there.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
I agree people who buy used games are pure people who eat babies and dance on people graves that and we shouldn't own games

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Sucks that they ADVERTISE these features and don't tell you they're not immediately included in the game until literally the DAY BEFORE the game comes out.

That's just dirty.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Aeshi said:
Honestly who actually cares about being able to play as Catwoman anyway? Last time I checked the title it said "Batman: Arkham City"
Probably the same people who wanted to play as Joker in the previous game and want to play as Robin in this game... and maybe Nightwing... and possible one of the many versions of Batman (like Batman Beyond). You know... the people really into Batman that are wanting to experience all of it. :D

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
omg really? i DONT have to be catwoman?! HUZZAH!!!

om a different, slightly perverted, note... only reason id play as catwoman would be to watch her jump around on screen. that body is smoking hot!

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
This is the first bit of bad news about this game that I've seen. And it's a doozy.

Screw you, Rocksteady. Or Warner Brothers, or whoever is responsible. I'll go Catwomanless and buy the game for thirty bucks on Ebay purely out of spite.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
JPArbiter said:
Why call it an online pass? why not just call it day one DLC and get it over with.
Because articles like this generate more views. Take the article about Rage and the sewer section where The Escapist said "RAGE developers cuts single player for used buyers", if they had simply said "Day 1 DLC for RAGE" it would maybe get one third of the views and the comments. Also according to the article the content is already on the disc so it is an online pass, not DLC. Since the D means download and you wont actually download anything here.

Honestly seeing I will buy this for PC this doesn't bother me one bit. It will be there along with the main game when I buy it.