Online Pass Required to Play as Arkham City's Catwoman

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
So much for that bunch of dead presidents I was holding onto. I guess I'll just have to hold onto them a bit longer until Dream Drop Distance or Skyward Sword hits.

Zenthunder

Nov 27, 2010
I don't know why this need to be said but it does a company has one job make money thats it thats the bottom line just make money everything else is to this means to that end it is the job of the people who work there to make money any company who does not get every cent it can is failing at its core level profit

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
tzimize said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
And people are still thinking of buying this whorefest?
Yes. Because of Arkham Asylum. Which was one of the most awesome games I have ever played in my entire game riddled life.
And which I loved. Which is why I loathe this.
How is it a whorefest exactly? And what is that?
Look at the female characters. It's a pretty easy word to work out.

Then you've got multiple characters thrown in - so there's no time to work on them. And the Joker has "got better" after Arkham. And Penguin is a cockney. And they've just chucked the whole atmosphere away for the new approach of "every button press must be awesome" approach.

But with all these new goodies...they'll bring in all the lockdowns they've been planning.

Arkham Asylum JUST got onto my machine despite Windows Glue the Game Up Live, and now they're riding on the franchise.

And it's coming out straddling the reboot. Which re-writes all the background. And may get unwritten.

Bleurgh.
Well, I have no problems agreeing that GFWL is the devils own work, but the rest of the details I know nothing about. I saw a trailer for the game and it looked sweet. I have some faith in Rocksteady and will not shoot them down before I have played the finished product.

I must say that Harlequin from AA was not exactly free of "boob-factor" either, it is just how female characters are usually portrayed unfortunately. Luckily Harlequin is also mad as a madman so she has some added personality :p. That said, cat-woman has always been more than a little sexy, and have often played on that herself. Why shouldnt Rocksteady do that too?

Danhoyt

Feb 19, 2009
I wonder how Jim Sterling feels about this. He seemed OK with Rage doing something similar, but he does hate passes.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Danhoyt said:
I wonder how Jim Sterling feels about this. He seemed OK with Rage doing something similar, but he does hate passes.
go to destructoid and u will c

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Danhoyt said:
He described those as small, non-essential areas. If the claim of 10% of the game is accurate, that at least takes out the "small" part. I'm also wondering how far he'd take non-essential bit, but I'm betting the scope alone is sufficient to piss him off.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
JPArbiter said:
Why call it an online pass? why not just call it day one DLC and get it over with.
Cause it's not day one DLC... no one buys a game used on Day One.

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
Aeshi said:
Honestly who actually cares about being able to play as Catwoman anyway? Last time I checked the title it said "Batman: Arkham City"
My sentiments exactly.

I have preordered the game anyway, but that is because I want to play it, not because of any bonus I might get for doing so.

Ironically, when I first saw the trailer for the Catwoman character, I was pissed. I thought that she was going to be a character you had to play as, in order to beat the game. Now that I know she is simply a bonus character, and not essential to gameplay, I am thrilled.

It might be nice to play as Catwoman for a minute, but I didn't want to be forced to play as her.

Anyways, obviously in this case the online pass thing doesn't apply to me, as I will have it because I will buy the game new, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't care about getting it.

I would agree that online passes are, in general, annoying.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Actually I do have a problem with it now that I've thought about it.

See, playing as Catwoman is advertised as part of the gameplay [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPMr6hJldXY] which means that either the game is being sold without Catwoman as part of the core gameplay, or that they're withholding part of the core gameplay with a passkey.

The former is false advertising, and the latter is a horrible business practice.

The point is, that it was advertised as part of the product, which means that as part of the product, the resale rights belong to the owner of that product. Withholding advertised parts of the product and claiming it does not belong to the person you sold the product to is a very questionable business practice, and a blight on consumer rights in general.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
you mean they are offing a bonus to people who buy the game new? those evil evil people. they are clearly worse than hitler

tycho0042

Jan 27, 2010
shit game trend is shit.
Sadly, we gamers as a whole won't do enough for them to stop so we may as well get used to one more step with taking it in the ass. I'm sure we're only a couple years or less from spending our 60+ dollars for a "long term rental" or whatever other term they decide upon

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
To me, if online passes are actually becoming the norm, this is how I would like to see them implemented. Buy the game new, get a bonus bit of gameplay that doesn't interfere with the core game. I see this kind of thing as the same as a pre-order bonus anyway, rather than something removed from the game. This is not the same as cutting out the multiplayer from the game, or having a part of the main story that you can't progress past unless you pay extra.

Basically, I think this could be a lot worse, I don't think it's worth people getting up in arms about.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Rocklobster99 said:
joshuaayt said:
Holy industry sanctioned neglect and disregard of consumers, Batman!

Can you imagine Skyrim pulling this? Not being able to use, say, fire magic or axes in a second hand copy unless you buy an online pass? Madness.
Give it time, eventually RPGs won't let you gain experience unless you buy it new.
Goddamn it! Don't give anybody any ideas, man!

flyhawk

Jan 1, 2011
jonyboy13 said:
*Meanwhile at SKIDROW's Office* "YES! More pirates! Soon, we will take over the world!"
moar to crack and make them look like fools ....again!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
This kind of thing is only going to get worse so long as people allow it. This hurts new buyers who resell more than anyone, Gamestop will just give you $10 less for the game because the publisher has devalued it. Wanna sell it on eBay? The activation code will affect the value there too.

Things like this are making me want to buy used if I can so I don't support anti-consumer BS like this. It used to be the opposite, I used to buy new when I could but I think I have had about enough of having my own money used to treat me like a criminal.

mightybozz

Aug 20, 2009
I am a console and PC gamer, but my Xbox is not online (I live in a rural area - getting one device online is enough of a pain. I won't even mention the download speeds). My PC won't be able to run Arkham City as well as my console will. So I intended to buy this game on Xbox, and because it's pretty much the last game this year I'm looking forward to, I was going to buy it new.

But now I know that I'm getting shafted simply because I can't get my 360 online? There's no reason to buy this game new anymore. The publishers have just guaranteed I'll be buying a used copy just after christmas.